You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

So are Russia going to get barred from the world cup or automatic qualification?

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,724
With Poland refusing to play Russia in the world cup qualifier, I assume other nations will follow suit. So does this mean Russia will get victory by default in this game/games? or will they just be barred from the world cup now?

I was tempted to put a post up saying congratulations to Russia for qualifying to be satirical etc like I did for congrats Bojo but considering media reports that Russia plan to threaten to kill the families of anyone resisting in Ukraine I cant really make light of the situation.

its ironic that he accuses Ukraine of been run by a Nazi, mass executions was a Nazi tactic after all.

I did kind of want to see Russia vs Ukraine in the world cup for the ultimate grudge match, but realistically Ukraine likely wont exist by the time the world cup starts and Russia likely will be barred.

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,177
    Ban RUSSIA from everything ......then hopefully the population will be totally fed up and topple PUTIN
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,555
    Like the Jewish people never forget the horrors they suffered, so will the Ukraine people.

Ground Control to Major Tom ....Their making an Enemy out of a Friend.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Brilliant form Poland, they more than some have long memories.
    Fifa need to put on the big boy pants and do the honourable thing and ban Russia now.
  • Options
    now Sweden are refusing to play them, It looks like the ultimate grudge match of Ukraine vs Russia will never happen now I wanted to see this.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,119
    In the great scheme of things now happening does a football match really matter ?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,426
    edited February 2022
    lucy4 said:

In the great scheme of things now happening does a football match really matter ?

No - & I don't like to see sport & politics get mixed up.

In fact there is an argument to suggest that sport continuing as normal - or as near normal as is reasonably possible under the circumstances - might not be a bad thing. Sport can build bridges, though perhaps football, with it's dubious morals & footballers not seemingly the brightest individuals, is probably not the best vehicle for it.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

In fact there is an argument to suggest that sport continuing as normal - or as near normal as is reasonably possible under the circumstances - might not be a bad thing. Sport can build bridges, though perhaps football, with it's dubious morals & footballers not seemingly the brightest individuals, is probably not the best vehicle for it.
    My comment was intended for the OP for his desire to see a Russia v Ukraine grudge football match.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

My comment was intended for the OP for his desire to see a Russia v Ukraine grudge football match.
    @lucy4

Yes, understood, & I agree, seeing those two teams take their "war" onto the pitch would be an awful spectacle. I was talking more generally, & preferably in sports practiced by more mature individuals.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Fifa does exactly as I suspected. Left the big boy pants in the drawer, steadfastly refusing to grow a pair and fudged it by not banning Russia.
    Cannot wait to see them give Russia a free pass into the finals, at which point I sincerely hope the English FA lead the world in refusing to take part in their laughable desert kick about.
  • Options
    pompeynic said:

Fifa does exactly as I suspected. Left the big boy pants in the drawer, steadfastly refusing to grow a pair and fudged it by not banning Russia.
    Cannot wait to see them give Russia a free pass into the finals, at which point I sincerely hope the English FA lead the world in refusing to take part in their laughable desert kick about.

If the Qatar World Cup had to be postponed I don't think many football fans would be sad. Unforch, as FIFA clearly took bribes for it to be there, any re-scheduling would likely be there too.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,658
    pompeynic said:

FIFA will come unstuck in this
  • Options
    World Air Quality Index (AQI) Ranking | AirVisual - IQAirhttps://www.iqair.com › world-air-quality-ranking
    Major city Major city US AQI Followers
    1 Chongqing, China 212 94.5K
    2 Mumbai, India 188 1.5M
    3 Hanoi, Vietnam 184 2.3M
    4 Ukraine next with all those Diesel Tanks Rockets burning buildings.

• Options
  • Options
    Boris will never be a "Trail Blazzer" hands still in pockets brain in his Trousers.
  • Options
    I think if enough countries take the attitude that they wont play Russia no matter what Fifa will have no choice but to kick Russia out or not. I mean Putin has gone crazy Russia been kicked out of Eurovision wont get much reaction because not many people care about Eurovision but been kicked out the world cup not sure Putin will take that.

If he is threatening to nuke the world and arrest his citizens for treason if they protest then he will be willing to have Fifa officials killed or their families killed for booting Russia from the world cup. the Fifa officials know this hence why they might not boot Russia out.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Keep politics out of football.

Should England have been kicked out of World Cup because their moron politicians decided to invade Iraq? Can't remember anyone calling for that to happen.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,658
    Eh, it was the UK that entered into an illegal (in my eyes) war in Iraq
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    gregkdy82 said:

Keep politics out of football,

Agreed, politicising sports has went too far and do not wish to see it in any form in any sport. It's a spectacle, not a stage to push agendas.
  • Options
    So we all have a kick-about on Christmas Day. Then back to war.