You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£1,000 Fine And No Jail? (DISTRESSING PHOTOS WARNING)

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,214
edited April 2022 in The Rail
Thug who beat his girlfriend, 17, to a pulp leaving her unconscious and scarred for life after she caught him with another girl at gig is spared jail and ordered to pay just £1,000

Jordana Rutherford has branded the decision to let her ex-boyfriend walk out of court with just a £1,000 fine as a 'joke'. She was just 17 when William Weir (left) beat and left her lying in a pool of her own blood after a row following a gig at the o2 Academy in Glasgow. Her injuries were so severe she was left permanently scarred (right, inset) and has tried to take her own life following the attack. She said: 'He's ruined my life and has basically been let away with it. It's disgusting.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10692531/Thug-beat-girlfriend-unconscious-scarred-life-spared-jail-pay-just-1-000.html

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    I can't imagine my reaction if someone did this to my daughter , i've told my daughter if ever there is the tiniest amount of physical or physiological abuse to dump them immediately and she agrees even though she might love them dearly , i've just drummed it into her to never let it happen
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Exactly Stoke,exactly told my little one same thing.
    William Weir 22.
    Took 2 years, from the time of that disgusting assault,to get it to court,and the piece of filth walks?
    The lass moved 420 miles, to try starting over and get away from Weir (to Kent)
    I know exactly what I would have done (God forbid) if that was one of my daughters,wouldn't be any kind of good news for him or me.
    My youngest got her own place in Kent near Dartford,worry daily exactly about this type of thing.Beyond belief, a man can do that to a female,and get weighed in zero custodial,or any other kind of weighed in.Words fail me.
    Procurator Fiscal,words fail me.
    What sentencing? Permanent scaring, appalling assault.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,190
    edited April 2022
    I was once accused by my daughters of over reacting to what I perceived as a threat to them.

They were 17 and went to Tesco in Trent Vale about 11.30pm to get some snacks and stuff for a late night film session in their room. The shop is 5 minutes walk from our house by the Black Lion and they know all the local youth etc.

After 30 minutes I decide to go looking for them and find they are "talking" to 3 males, 2of whom are drinking and 1 who has his shirt off and in my opinion was trying to get a little too friendly with one of my babies.

I stop the car, they turn and face up. No hesitation, it's baseball bat time and they do one as I go into full bore bouncer mode.

Girls went apesh1t with me saying there was no threat, I over reacted, total embarrassment for them blah, blah, blah.

Strange though, they now have kids of their own and understand exactly where I was coming from.

Don't know what will happen with this guy on the streets but I'm certain some form of karma is waiting in the wings.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    I do believe in Karma also and yes you get back what you put out. Those pictures are horrifying and given the info presented it's justice not being served correctly by our court system.

Street justice may be a different story for this guy. I certainly would not like to be in his shoes.
  • Options
    Does not get any better from the street justice side for him seeing the city she was attacked in. Only looked at the pictures and had filled in the rest.

Jail may have been the end of him and just maybe that is part of the reason for no jail. To be clear I do not agree with the £1000 and no jail however I am sure the judge had thought at 17 he would be in serious, serious trouble when the inmates got wind of what he done.

Karma will collect here though and the pictures are awful. :'(
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,513
    Women will always make wrong choices when it comes to choosing a man even staying in abusive relationship till tragedy strikes. Hope she will eventually find Mr Right as there are more of them around in the World. First reaction is to Hurt him second beat the living daylights out of him third lock him in Prison for life. I would not make a very good Judge. I think.!
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    949,we had our moments, but I think we on some page.
    Believe it or don't, actually happened, pre lock down.
    Apple of eye random phone call, upset / tears, during phone call (from Dartford) to me 'former boyfriend turned up' on phone.
    I was in a cab so fast, kid not, in fact I swear, a teenage posse in Dartford cameras everywhere, bang opposite Barclays Bank (where it moved to from around the corner) opp Dartford McDonald's,now how do I phrase this? in appropriate language? or not sounding a PUTZ?
    Summer, scorching afternoon, bad boy posse waiting, under camera Mc D's.
    949 must know kevlar 'under armour' from the doors,was on.
    Plus,erm how I say, two same age male adult friends,my age,with daughters that just so happen to be very wealthy, more to the point very very well known, Dartford area, I swear,one of which I see every week to this day.Exactly same situ,gorgeous teenage daughter (s) who think in love with 'self assumed bad boys' some of which, think zero of doing what the scum Weir did, and worse.
    Hate this world,we all have our own moral compass, but fluk me, some sort of moral justice from real fathers required.
    If ( tynchy Stryder)
    ya Git me!
  • Options
    Pregnant mum jailed for fraud despite plea she was only trying to support family

A PREGNANT mother who used a fake passport to gain employment at a care home 'to feed and house' her family has been jailed for six months.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/pregnant-mum-jailed-fraud-despite-231000792.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028
    edited April 2022
    Not defending this man's actions for a second. But just want to show some other factors at play with regard to sentencing.

1. The fact that it took 2 years to get to Court. That is normal now. The simple fact is that the system is failing. For example, between 2010 and 2020 more than half of all Magistrates Courts have been permanently closed. For being "uneconomic". All Courts are now expected to show that they can run at a profit. And yes, you heard that right-profit

2. Criminal Legal Aid is on its knees. Stipendiary Magistrates pay has been cut. Criminal Barristers pay is terrible-I could instruct a Barrister to travel 50 miles and appear for a Client for less money than a taxi there, or a Plumbers call-out charge

3. The better-informed Criminals use this delay productively. They go to the AA, and prove they have stopped drinking. They seek professional help for Anger Management. They settle down, and get a steady job. And get a 2nd chance. Whereas others continue down the same path. And do not.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/moj-lays-bare-full-extent-of-court-closures/5111525.article

I am not saying that is right. But it is the way things work right now.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Not defending this man's actions for a second. But just want to show some other factors at play with regard to sentencing.

1. The fact that it took 2 years to get to Court. That is normal now. The simple fact is that the system is failing. For example, between 2010 and 2020 more than half of all Magistrates Courts have been permanently closed. For being "uneconomic". All Courts are now expected to show that they can run at a profit. And yes, you heard that right-profit

2. Criminal Legal Aid is on its knees. Stipendiary Magistrates pay has been cut. Criminal Barristers pay is terrible-I could instruct a Barrister to travel 50 miles and appear for a Client for less money than a taxi there, or a Plumbers call-out charge

3. The better-informed Criminals use this delay productively. They go to the AA, and prove they have stopped drinking. They seek professional help for Anger Management. They settle down, and get a steady job. And get a 2nd chance. Whereas others continue down the same path. And do not.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/moj-lays-bare-full-extent-of-court-closures/5111525.article

I am sure what you say is true.
    However, I just look at the photos and think that it cant be right that he didnt go to jail.
    Sentencing in general seems to be all over the shop.
    Although I never seem to find myself thinking that a sentence seems excessive.

I cant see how as a society that we find it fair to just fine someone for a crime like this, and reasonable to jail a pregnant woman for trying to feed her family.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,618
    edited April 2022
    Essexphil said:

This was interesting @Essexphil

Thousands of barristers take action over legal aid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61062627
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.
    We always seem to be behind the times in this country.
    We seem unable to anticipate anything.
    We seem to regularly have a disaster.
    The report follows which usually takes years.
    Followed by the "it will never happen again" statement.
    Until it does, or at least something similar does.
    The MPs expenses scandal, then the lobbying scandal, now the non doms, and the parties.
    What have we done post Grenfell?
    The grooming scandal went on for years, and is still going on.
    The latest NHS scandal went on for over 20 years.
    What about the Social Care scandal?
    We never seem to be in front on anything.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    You can bet your bottom dollar if the father of the girl went out and gave that animal a good hiding he'd be locked up with no hesitation
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

I find this Government's mismanagement of the Court system saddening. Just to give some more examples:-

1. When I started out in Law, my local County Court to where I live now was (1) Clacton (7 miles away). Then it was (2) Colchester (15 miles away), and (3) Ipswich (which could only be used if Client/Case was in Suffolk) (20 miles away).
    Magistrates Courts? (1) Harwich (1 mile away) (2) Colchester (15 miles away)

Now? Clacton-sold. Colchester County Court? Sold. Ipswich? Still no. Nearest? Chelmsford. 45 miles away.

Magistrates? Harwich-sold. Nearest is Colchester.

This has massive impacts, repeated around the country. If you live in (say) Clacton, no local Solicitor does much Litigation. For the simple reason that it is bad enough that Litigants have a 3-hour round trip to go to Court. Without paying for a Solicitor to make that journey. So local legal representation ends. Except for Divorce/Wills/Conveyancing

2. Delay is endemic. So-for example-the average time to get to a first Hearing (the one that sets out the agenda) at an Employment Tribunal is typically taking 18 months. Try telling that to someone who has just been unfairly dismissed, and needs to feed his family. That's before you try and explain where on earth Bury St Edmunds is...