You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Controversial Photos We Didn't Know Existed.

2»

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,211

Talented cast of "The Bob Newhart Show," 1972.
    Filmed in front of a live studio audience, The Bob Newhart Show followed Newhart he inhabited the character of “Bob Hartley” as he played analyst to his patients, friends, and co-workers while trying to find some space for himself. Not only was the show wildly popular, but it ran for 142 episodes, and spawned a drinking game called “Hi, Bob” where you have to drink every time someone walks into Newhart’s office and says “Hi, Bob.”

Please keep in mind that if you play this game to the hilt you will get alcohol poisoning, so it’s best to take it easy.
  • Options

Al Pacino as New York cop 'Frank Serpico' in the 1973 film, "Serpico."
    Is there anyone more badass than Frank Serpico? This 1973 move detailed the true exploits of an undercover cop who discovered a wealth of corruption at the NYPD and flushed it out. The film was a major undertaking, with the production going through two directors before finally landing in the hands of Sidney Lumet.

Serpico is one of the rare movies that filmed in New York City rather than trying to make Los Angeles or Toronto look New Yorkish, and because of that the production filmed across every Burroughs except Staten Island. Pacino's turn as Frank Serpico would earn him his first Golden Globe at the 1974 ceremony.
  • Options

Back in 1968, Bob "Gibby" Gibson of the St. Louis Cardinals pitched 13 shutouts.
    In 1968 Bob Gibson became the most feared pitcher in the National League. While pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals he threw 13 shutouts and he had the low low ERA (earned run average) of 1.12, that’s absolutely nuts. Gibson’s wildly successful year is so unprecedented that people have been trying to figure out exactly what he did ever since.

Armchair baseball scholars believe that there were a series of factors that lead to Gibson’s reign over 1968, including a higher pitching mound and a larger strike zone, but to say those reasons are why he was so dominant is to ignore the fact that the guy was truly a pitching beast.
  • Options

Carrie Fisher, 1975.
    Oh hi Carrie Fisher, didn’t see you there. Were you waiting on us or is this just how you always hang out? In 1975 Fisher had yet to star in a little movie called Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, in fact she was only 18 and getting ready to appear in her first film, Shampoo.

Fisher was no wide eyed ingenue, her parents were Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. With genes like that it’s no wonder that she pops off the screen in her small role as Lorna Karpf, a teenager without a lot to do. Regardless of her lack of screen time, Fisher would go onto appear in some of the biggest movies ever made while working behind the scenes as a script doctor for films and television. She passed away in 2016.
  • Options

Sophia Loren's beautiful green eyes, 1960s.
    Sophia Loren is absolutely one of the most stunning creatures to ever grace planet Earth. Her majestic eyes are such a sought after look that the internet is littered with walkthroughs on how to get her look, but the one thing they’re all missing is the fact that she was born with those sultry emeralds.

Speaking of makeup, Loren often claimed that she put her own face on in her films, and who are we to argue with a beauty like this? Regardless of whether or not her beauty was man made or not, this photo is hypnotic and it's enough to make you want to make out with your own computer monitor.
  • Options

Vincent Price walking down the street in full "Witchfinder General" attire to get a snack while filming in 1968.
    If Vincent Price isn’t our generation’s finest actors then he’s at least our biggest ham. Price made at least a hundred film and television appearances, and in most of them he leaned heavily into his persona as everyone’s favorite goth uncle. However in Witchfinder General Price isn’t winking at the camera. In fact, in his role as Matthew Hopkins he takes part in some of the most gruesome torture scenes that had been portrayed on film at that time.

Filmed in Suffolk, England, it’s likely that many of the people that Price bumped into on his way to get a snack didn’t even notice that he was in costume.
  • Options

Matt Dillon, 1980.
    Before going on to become a character actor who steals scenes in films like There’s Something About Mary and Beautiful Girls, Matt Dillon was a straight up teen heart throb. Coming out of New Rochelle, New York, Dillon began acting in middle school when he appeared in Over the Edge, a movie about a group of teens who stage a violent uprising in a small planned community in Colorado.

Dillon says that he’s proud of his first role, and feels that it still resonates. He told Vice:

I didn’t think of myself as a kid when it was all happening. I just believed in that film and in my role from the beginning. Maybe I was naïve or whatever, but I always thought there was something great in the movie. It really resonated. I wasn’t a child actor—I didn’t come up that way. If I had gone in and auditioned for a Disney family movie, I wouldn’t have connected with that in any way, shape, or form. But this role came very naturally for me.
  • Options

Who remembers "The Six Million Dollar Man" episode "The Secret of Bigfoot" in 1976? Andre the Giant played 'Bigfoot' in this episode.
    It really took until 1987’s The Princess Bride for people to figure out that Andre the Giant was great at playing lovable tough guys. Prior to that film he tended to be cast as monsters, madmen, and you guessed it, Bigfoot. In what has to be the most bananas episode of The Six Million Dollar Man, Steve Rogers meets Bigfoot, gets into a fist fight with him, and then meets the group of aliens that built Bigfoot. That’s right, Bigfoot isn’t a creature, it’s a robot built by aliens to protect them.

The episode is pure madness and you should do you best to seek it out right now. Maybe someone you know has it saved on an old VHS somewhere.
  • Options

Natalie Wood, early 1960s.
    Before the 1960s everyone thought of Natalie Wood as strictly a child actress. She appeared in The Searchers and Majorie Morningstar, but in the 1960s her career really went into the stratosphere. She worked on huge films like West Side Story, Splendor in the Grass, and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, a film that not only still resonates with audiences but that continues to inform romantic dramas.

During this time Wood proved to be both a profitable actress and someone who didn’t take themselves too seriously. In 1966 she received the Harvard Lampoon’s Worst Actress of the Year Award and turned up in person to accept it. The Harvard Crimson wrote she was "quite a good sport.”
    Tikay10 said:

Lol @ the Stoke City shirt.

You might appreciate the last lot.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

She could have done so much better.
    You might as well.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Natalie Wood, early 1960s.
    Before the 1960s everyone thought of Natalie Wood as strictly a child actress. She appeared in The Searchers and Majorie Morningstar, but in the 1960s her career really went into the stratosphere. She worked on huge films like West Side Story, Splendor in the Grass, and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, a film that not only still resonates with audiences but that continues to inform romantic dramas.

During this time Wood proved to be both a profitable actress and someone who didn’t take themselves too seriously. In 1966 she received the Harvard Lampoon’s Worst Actress of the Year Award and turned up in person to accept it. The Harvard Crimson wrote she was "quite a good sport.”

Tikay10 said:

You might appreciate the last lot.
    Other candidates may be @Essexphil. @MISTY4ME. @TheEdge949, @lucy4, @rabdeniro etc.
  • Options

Robyn Hilton Wows Johnny Carson On The Tonight Show In 1974
    Good Heavens Robyn Hilton is smoking hot, but she wans’t much of a conversationalist. Her appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1974 is truly one of the weirdest viewing experiences. Carson tries to lead her through a standard interview but she has trouble coming up with what shows she’s actually been on. Early on in the interview Carson changes tactics and just starts talking to her like they’re on a very awkward first date.

The entire interview is truly surreal and worth watching in its entirety, especially if you need a daily dose of something cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616

@HAYSIE

Really enjoyed perusing all those photos, Tony, thank you.

Photos from back in the day are wonderful, they somehow evoke memories.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Debbie Harry, what can you say, she was it, although that's not her best photo.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,027
    I suspect Robyn Hilton was used to men not listening to a single word she said :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I suspect Robyn Hilton was used to men not listening to a single word she said :)

None of the men that met her were aware of the colour of her eyes.
  • Options
    FORDAKIDZFORDAKIDZ Member Posts: 176
    HAYSIE said:

Al Pacino as New York cop 'Frank Serpico' in the 1973 film, "Serpico."
    Is there anyone more badass than Frank Serpico? This 1973 move detailed the true exploits of an undercover cop who discovered a wealth of corruption at the NYPD and flushed it out. The film was a major undertaking, with the production going through two directors before finally landing in the hands of Sidney Lumet.

Serpico is one of the rare movies that filmed in New York City rather than trying to make Los Angeles or Toronto look New Yorkish, and because of that the production filmed across every Burroughs except Staten Island. Pacino's turn as Frank Serpico would earn him his first Golden Globe at the 1974 ceremony.

Seperated at birth ? Steve O Dwyer
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,370
    edited November 2022
    Really enjoyable photos.

Nice idea and posts.