You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can you teach an old dog news Tricks. Poker Version.

coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
Just wondered.

How do you re-set?
is it possible?
Can you re-learn a game that you have already got preset ideas about?
How?
Is it best to just concentrate on one poker variant / type?
How do you stop yourself raising all in when you know you should be calling / folding?

and so many other questions......

Or is an old dog just too old.

Comments

• Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 505
    You can definitely continue to learn and improve with any intellectual pursuit. But much like learning a new golf swing, you need to be conscious when putting into practice. Otherwise, the auto-pilot will kick-in.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,336
    Give yourself something new to work on at the tables.

I do this from time to time and I find it keeps poker fresh and something to look forward to.

eg
    Look up something on on Youtube...

Say sb v bb ranges, watch a few videos , decide what ranges your going to try then try to implement it at the tables.

If you like messing with spreadsheets :neutral: put your ranges on a spreadsheet for quick access.

Something like this revitalises interest in the game and results improve as a by product.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Some quick suggestions that have sometimes worked for me:-

1. Put a small-ish amount on a new poker site. Try and grind it up at smaller stakes than you would normally play. Perfect place to try new things

2. Spend a pre-set time (say 30 minutes) playing precisely the opposite to the way you normally play. So-if tight, play very loose, and vice versa. This works best when you have been at a table for a while. Playing the opposite of your table image is often profitable

Playing more than 1 variant at the same time can be tricky. But good to learn different games. Much like number of tables you can play optimally, it is a case of trial and error.

How to stop raising all-in? Quite player-dependant, both you and opponents. You can never stop it-but you can reduce it. Presuming you don't like setting fire to money ;)

I'm 60 this month. Played game rather a lot since 2005. Still learning. 1 day I hope to be mediocre :)
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    Ha thought that was tk reviving his old diary.Had a look back to the original posts from the forum and some of them are very funny and some are the same nonsense that you still get worth a look just for giggles