You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Forum Comp Day 1, MONDAY. Champo; Blackburn v Wigan @ 8pm

124»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
    TVSpice said:

Tikay10 said:

TVSpice said:

@Tikay10
    Interesting (well, it is to me....) how many foreign players coaches & Managers there are in the upper tiers of English football. I welcome it, of course I do, but it suggests football has very much fallen behind in England. But I suppose we knew that, having watched our national team the last 60 years

A little harsh methinks. At the start of the season, there were 7 managers from the UK. There have been some comings and goings but the number today currently stands at eight. The problem may be more with the owners/chair of clubs than the quality of the available managers.

So 40% of them are English. I've no idea what % of EPL players are English, but I strongly suspect it's south of 40%. I don't think either stat does us any favours.

PS - I certainly accept that as to Managers/Coaches, we perhaps should point the finger at the Boards/Directors.

PPS - what are your views on Liverpool's "challenging" season? It's quite extraordinary. Apart from Everton & United fans, generally speaking I think most of us have loved the Liverpool revival & so we find it a bit sad.
    To be fair, the managers are not all English. They are from Great Britain & Northern Ireland. Yes, this season is not good for homegrown players with nearly two thirds, 66% from overseas.

Liverpool? I'm not going to make the injury excuse, though it is a factor. But actually, I think they are exhausted after last season's exploits. City seem to be suffering in a similar fashion. In fact, if you look at the top four, three of the teams there were not involved in as many games last season - FA Cup, League Cup and CL latter stages. It is a shame but the season is a blow out, we will be back next season, I'm sure of it.

@TVSpice

That's a very good & fair point.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790
    Apologies to all if you had to watch that.... :D
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430

Apologies to all if you had to watch that.... :D

@goldnballz

I have no words....
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790