You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

its going to get much worse

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,576
I have worked in kitchens for over a decade now. Every single year I have looked forward to the airshow in Bournemouth as a challenge. It was always hyper busy and I saw this as a challenge can I keep up I remember one year been proud of finishing before midnight I had a reputation for been fast.

not this year this year it has been absolutely dead and I have been sent home early both days so far. Work say i am not meant to comment about work online but then I am not identifying the company and this is not specific to my employer the whole strip of beech is dead. its not anything my employer has done right or wrong this is the state of things. the majority of the hospitality industry is suffering a lot right now. And I say this as someone who has worked in the industry in one of the most touristy places in the country.

lots of people all round the country are going to be losing their jobs over the next year or two and many will become desperate and destitute. I am fortunate enough to not be in that position it is possible I lose my job in the kitchen sure but I know I can have my the warehouse job back in a heartbeat.

I hate that warehouse and dont want to go back to working there. But my fear is going back to a job I hate not ruin. others face a much worse situation then that.

I have on two occasions in the last week few weeks had people try to steal from me or mug me out of desperation I see more and more homeless as time goes on.

This country is going to the dogs.

Comments

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,734
    It’s a worry. This year has been quieter for everyone imo. Prices are just too high. The real worry for us will come when the likely advancement in AI starts to take place next year, all the regular jobs could go, from banking to stacking shelves. I seen a video of a robot cooking in a kitchen a few weeks ago, I don’t think the general public grasps the potential that AI systems pose.

If they AI takes away all the jobs or a large portion of them it will see the end of capitalism because it will become unsustainable, universal basic income has got to be the way forward imo

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,277
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,000
    edited September 2023
    I suppose that, one day, this sort of story is actually going to come true.

But it was supposed to have happened multiple times. Over hundreds of years.

From advances in agriculture. To the Industrial Revolution and the rise of Manufacturing. To the rise of the Service/Tertiary Industries. To mass production. To technological advances lessening the need for human involvement. To automation. To robotics.

All of those were supposed to mean humanity was doomed. This is just the latest one. To be taken with the same pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,277

@Essexphil

Yup.

Necessity is the mother of invention springs to mind. Life will go on.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    the threat from AI is different from all the advancements in the past. People have always been required, with AI they wont be.

think about all the jobs it will replace, nothing has ever been invented that has such a wide ranging impact..........every other advancement in human history has impacted one area or field at a time, AGI could hit everything at once...........lots a people become redundant. Im shocked that the conspiracy guys have not been making more noise over the rise of AI, i guess trump is acting as a great distraction ;P

i appreciate the pinch of salt, dooms day stuff, because I honestly feel the same way but when you start to think about it and investigate what is in the pipelines with AI it really looks a different kettle to all that has happened in the past.......2030 is the year they expect AGI to take over......guess we will just need to wait and see........

btw im off to put my tin foil hat back on ;))

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,494
    So Al will do everything ...... why's he not filling the pot holes in..... hic!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    goldon said:

So Al will do everything ...... why's he not filling the pot holes in..... hic!

oh it will.....just you wait and see ;)

its funny cause those skilled manual labour jobs, that are paid less than those jobs for the "intelligent folks" will last a lot longer once AI takes off......so all those clever straight A students who are making the big bucks now are gonna end up with the shoe on the other foot, cause their jobs will go first.......wonder if they will still vote conservative when that happens :P
  • Options
    So it was so dead earlier I tried to log on to post to make a poin. Then it got busy on break now does seem to be picking up
  • Options
    so I am finally home, that changed it was looking dead and I was fed up again wanting it to be busy for the challenge. I said its quite people said dont say that its jinxing it. I said no i want it to be busy i want the challenge.

they said they dont I said I do and I dont believe in Jinxing but I want it so whatever then said it was quite again and stood there and said jinxy jinxy jinx jinx.

then it went busy and set a record for been busier then ever. So i got my challenge and did well in the end. Still concernng the other two days were dead.

Some people think I actually jinxed that, like sure how does that work a magic gene pops out because I said certain words Harry potter isnt real.

But what the heck I dont know if I will ever land and win the million dollar spin and go, it hasnt happened yet. Jinxy Jinxy jinx jinx. =D
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,494
    "The Big Issue" anyone remember when they were £1.00

Will AL sell it.........at £4.00
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    goldon said:

"The Big Issue" anyone remember when they were £1.00

Will AL sell it.........at £4.00

the freaky thing about that is the seller would need to sell 2 to buy a subway footlong or macdonalds meal, 3 to buy a burger king or fish supper........

here is a tune from 2 years ago made by A.I........could you tell it is not a secret recording........freaky stuff imo......the future sure is gonna be wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf6eOSJgN0Y
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    Mrs Bean goes to the Clacton Airshow most years and said it was quieter this year. The weather can play a big part in that, along with the aircraft on display. Without any American airforce or RAF jets, or low flying airliners like there have used to be in the past, numbers will be down. I'm sure the cost of living problem impacts numbers slightly in the Clacton area as well, despite the event being free if you don't reserve a table on the coast.

We live in a strange time with the double whammy of 13-years of government government shafting the majority, with now the Bank of England joining in. Raising interest rates only works when demand in the economy is bubbling over. It can be catastrophic for many when inflation is due to external factors that will blow over.
  • Options
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    toffee popcorn anyone?
  • Options
    So this kind of derailed to AI taking over and universal basic income. I was going to entertain making another thread for that but I guess I can post it here.

So some jobs are easier to replace with AI and some are much more difficult. I could easily see how my job could be replaced by a robot it would be expensive and require a whole different way to build a kitchen but as tech costs come down at some point my current job will be obsolete. although halving my job would be more economical eg what would take two people could now be done by one. This may come in next.

ultimately I do not think there is a job out there which cannot be replaced and done better by AI.

One thing which has been said which is absolutely absurd is the idea of Universal basic income. The very idea of this is utter nonsense in the extreme. This is because it missed the point the rich and powerful see the rest of the population with disdain they are merely a tool to tolerate to support their rich privileged life style. When these people are surplus to requirements you truly believe they will want to have UBI to subsidize their "filth"

never going to happen. It is more likely that I win the Euro millions 3 draws in a row. Which is incredibly unlikely considering not just the odds of this but also considering I very rarely buy a ticket/tickets to this and If I saw I had won why would I buy ticket again?

UBI may be a good idea but its never coming in when the masses are surplus to requirements they will be culled not subsidized.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

So this kind of derailed to AI taking over and universal basic income. I was going to entertain making another thread for that but I guess I can post it here.

So some jobs are easier to replace with AI and some are much more difficult. I could easily see how my job could be replaced by a robot it would be expensive and require a whole different way to build a kitchen but as tech costs come down at some point my current job will be obsolete. although halving my job would be more economical eg what would take two people could now be done by one. This may come in next.

ultimately I do not think there is a job out there which cannot be replaced and done better by AI.

One thing which has been said which is absolutely absurd is the idea of Universal basic income. The very idea of this is utter nonsense in the extreme. This is because it missed the point the rich and powerful see the rest of the population with disdain they are merely a tool to tolerate to support their rich privileged life style. When these people are surplus to requirements you truly believe they will want to have UBI to subsidize their "filth"

never going to happen. It is more likely that I win the Euro millions 3 draws in a row. Which is incredibly unlikely considering not just the odds of this but also considering I very rarely buy a ticket/tickets to this and If I saw I had won why would I buy ticket again?

UBI may be a good idea but its never coming in when the masses are surplus to requirements they will be culled not subsidized.

Haha. Sorry for the derailment, it was not planned.

Ubi makes a lotta sense, esp in a future where jobs are rare. Imo Ubi should be introduced straight away.

scrapping the whole benefits system for a simpler model makes sense to me, plus a likely reduction in crime esp theft. It would improve living standards, particularly of those who flirt on the poverty line. Also it would eliminate a lotta stress cause by money worries for a lotta people, improving mental health generally, possibly making the uk a happier and nicer place to live. It would allow people to pursue more personally rewarding careers, as well as take pressure off social care and nhs, as families could afford to look after their ailing aging members……I bet there are a whole host of other benefits, but I guess ima stop right here and wait on the “ur an idiot” comments to lol at.
  • Options

Doubleme said:

Haha. Sorry for the derailment, it was not planned.

Ubi makes a lotta sense, esp in a future where jobs are rare. Imo Ubi should be introduced straight away.

scrapping the whole benefits system for a simpler model makes sense to me, plus a likely reduction in crime esp theft. It would improve living standards, particularly of those who flirt on the poverty line. Also it would eliminate a lotta stress cause by money worries for a lotta people, improving mental health generally, possibly making the uk a happier and nicer place to live. It would allow people to pursue more personally rewarding careers, as well as take pressure off social care and nhs, as families could afford to look after their ailing aging members……I bet there are a whole host of other benefits, but I guess ima stop right here and wait on the “ur an idiot” comments to lol at.
    I think I either am not communicating my point your not reading it properly or are missing it. Maybe all three.

my point was not on whether UBI would or would not have a net positive for society as a whole.

my point is that the powerful elites have no motive or interest to keep the masses alive or subsidize their existence.

Once we are surplus to requirements we have no benefit to their lives and us been around means they can have less or they need to attribute more resources to us. that is not in their interest so they will cull us.