You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Pension change allowing people to work until 70 to start in January

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,214
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I've just hit 66 in April....lovely jubbly watching over 770 hit my bank account 13 times a year and let's hope the triple lock carries on......woooohooo

I get 870.
    I'm guessing over 90's get more, based on being in the 2nd WW and that?💩
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

And the year before. And the year before that :)
    @Essexphil

Keep going...
    You would think he would be more careful after winning a seat for Manchester.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I've just hit 66 in April....lovely jubbly watching over 770 hit my bank account 13 times a year and let's hope the triple lock carries on......woooohooo

I get 870.
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

@Essexphil

Keep going...
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

@Essexphil

Keep going...

@HAYSIE

What's your excuse for not attending?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

@Essexphil

Keep going...
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

@Essexphil

Keep going...

@HAYSIE

I shouldnt be allowed out.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

@Essexphil

Keep going...
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    I was 66 last year.
    So was @Tikay10

@Essexphil

Keep going...

@HAYSIE

I shouldnt be allowed out.

@HAYSIE

Fair comment.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    I looked it up, this is why.

Reached (or will reach) state pension age ON OR AFTER 6 April 2016?

Your age means you fall under the new state pension system. How much state pension you will get (if any) depends on how many qualifying national insurance (NI) years you have:

To get the full new state pension (currently £203.85 a week), you'll likely need at least 35 qualifying NI years (though some will need many more). Crucially, you don't have to start from scratch from 6 April 2016 – any qualifying years earned before this date will count along with later years.

Some people can get more than £203.85 a week. Under the previous state pension rules, workers were able to build up what's known as the additional state pension (also called the state second pension, S2P or SERPS) – a top-up to the former basic state pension. Although current rules have now scrapped this top-up, the Government has allowed many workers in their 40s, 50s and early-60s to keep their existing entitlement.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/state-pensions/
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 515
    I need to take a look into state pensions soon. As somebody in a long-term relationship but unmarried, I'd be interested to learn more on the impact of being unmarried. If you are married today and go first, would your wife continue to receive some of your state pension?

I learned recently when working on my will that inheritance tax is one of the few (or only) parts of English law where being married makes a big difference. A couple of people at work got married in their late 50s after being together 20+ years due to IHT. Seems a bit silly in 2023 if you can evidence a number of years and commitments together.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bean81 said:

I need to take a look into state pensions soon. As somebody in a long-term relationship but unmarried, I'd be interested to learn more on the impact of being unmarried. If you are married today and go first, would your wife continue to receive some of your state pension?

I learned recently when working on my will that inheritance tax is one of the few (or only) parts of English law where being married makes a big difference. A couple of people at work got married in their late 50s after being together 20+ years due to IHT. Seems a bit silly in 2023 if you can evidence a number of years and commitments together.

I intend to look some stuff up today.
    I am still unclear as to what the maximum state pension a married couple can receive.
    Your guy says at the beginning that a couple can both receive the maximum.
    Maybe he is referring to an unmarried couple.
    As the explanation I posted seems very unclear.
    The position I am in is that I get a little more than the maximum, and am not sure how that affects my wifes.
    I have always worked on the basis that my state pension dies with me, or my wifes may be boosted a little.
    I took out a life insurance policy to compensate for this.
    As the deadline for buying NI stamps has been extended again, I will certainly look into buying some for my wife.
    I just wish I had been aware of this before.
    I benefit a little from the transfer of the marriage allowance to me, but even if she was able to receive the maximum state pension, it wouldnt affect that.
  • Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

I get 870.
    Aged 45 to 72? Urgently consider buying national insurance years
    You may be able to turn £800 into £5,500 in your state pension

There is a potentially unbeatable opportunity everyone aged 45 to 72(ish) needs to consider. You've got until 5 April 2025 to buy back any missing national insurance years from 2006 to 2016. This can be prove very lucrative, as some are on course to make over £50,000 in boosts to their state pension by following this guide.

– Under 45? Go through the exercise anyway. While it is more marginal to check if it's worth topping up, you may find a partial year worth buying.

– Aged between 70 and 72(ish)+? This is for men born after 5 April 1951 (currently aged 72) and women born after 5 April 1953 (currently 70). Born earlier? You're on the old state pension, so this doesn't apply.

You now have extra time to boost your state pension by £1,000s
    You now have until 5 April 2025 to pay voluntary national insurance (NI) contributions on gaps in your NI record between 2006 and 2016.

This is the second deadline extension – it was previously changed from 5 April to 31 July 2023 – and follows reports that Government helplines have been completely overwhelmed in recent months, preventing callers from being able to get the necessary advice.

In addition to extending the deadline, the cost of paying voluntary NI contributions will remain frozen until 5 April 2025.

So if you're years away from state pension age, you've more time to decide if paying to plug gaps in your NI record is right for you – just don't put it off too long. If you're almost (or already) at state pension age, and doing this is right for you, you shouldn't put it off at all to ensure you get the maximum benefit from paying to plug gaps in your record.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options