You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Calorie deficit for 70 days at 60 years old. CHALLENGE ENDED EARLY AMID PANIC AND SADNESS

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Day 18 26/10/23

Kcals expended 3,439
    Kcals consumed 1,782
    Calorie deficit 1,657

Bit of a rubbish day all round really. Not much exercise, and I got blindsided by a Bavarian Slice at 10pm when I only went in the fridge for a handful of strawberries. it's a pretty thing, about the same length and width as a Vanilla Slice but slightly thinner and with a thin layer of jam. ITS ALSO 400 CALORIES and over 60g of carbs.

Ok 2 things to remember. There are going to be times when I put cr4p in my body, either an irresistable craving or just a momentary lapse in willpower but needless to say it will happen.

Secondly, I remained under 2,050Kcals for the day and recorded a deficit so targets still met and goals still firmly in sights.

I suppose that it serves as a timely reminder that it's when you think you've got everything squared away and under control, that the real danger lurks.

The insane thing about it is I am not really a cake or pastry eater, mad eh ?

Ok that's it, I'm outta here. Speak tomorrow and take care.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Day 19 27/10/23

Kcals expended 3,652
    Kcals consumed 1,865
    Calorie deficit 1,787

Morning all.

Apart from my legs being a little bit wonky donkey, yesterdays session went well. Had 3 meals, which is something of a rarity for me and covered all the parameters.

Today, Saturday, is a rest day so dialing it back somewhat.

Speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Day 20 28/10/23 Rest Day

Kcals expended 5,177
    Kcals consumed 1,805
    Calorie deficit 3,372

Ha, rest day my backside, Christmas shopping meant 6 hours of trolling around and the Calories really got burned. The difficult part was avoiding, Greggs, Maccies and Spoons.

So one of the biggest calorie deficits to date comes curtesy of no actual Gym session or specific training.

Ok, I'm outta here. Speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Day 21 29/10/23

Kcals expended 3,792
    Kcals consumed 978
    Calorie deficit 2,814

Yes the consumption figure is at least 600 calories too low but I just wasn't that hungry.

Weekly totals

Kcals expended 27,290
    Kcals consumed 11,657
    Calorie deficit 16,263

Starting weight 328lbs
    weight last week 317lbs
    weight this week 316lbs

Weekly +/- -1lb
    Running -12lb

New BMR calories 2,040

Ok, so here's the shock. With a deficit of 16,000Kcals, I would have expected a loss over the week in the region of 3 - 4 lbs. However, for some reason this hasn't happened.

Now the only two things that would make sense are either I'm retaining water or I have gained lean muscle. The first doesn't really make sense as I feel that everything is normal and the second would have required a decent amount of resistance training of which whilst doing a little hasn't been a priority.

To say I'm a little miffed is an understatement but I'm not going to go on tilt, just see how next week pans out and then take it from there.

Ok, I'm outta here.

Speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

A 1lb loss based on those numbers just does not seem right. Maybe it will correct itself next week.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    Keep it up gummy the weight will fall off ;)
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,018
    At your current weight, quite apart from your weight varying during the day, your weight (quite separately from diet/exercise) will vary from day to day by 7-10 pounds.

People choose weekly weigh-ins because of the unreliability of daily ones. But I found daily weigh-ins (all at the same time of day) used to average the weight for the week worked better for me. Because the daily variations at the beginning were surprising.

I'm certainly no nutritionist or any sort of expert in weight loss. But the difference between kcals in and out seems dangerously large to me. I suspect the temporary blip is caused by your body thinking it is in danger. A 3,000 kcal weekly difference is 1 thing. A 3,000 kcal daily difference is another.
  • Options
    Day 22 30/10/23

Kcals expended 2,876
    Kcals consumed 1,852
    Calorie deficit 1,024

I thought that a reset day was in order. Clear the head, refocus the mind and just take 24 hours out.

Feeling better for it and ready to resume. Tonight sees a 1 hour charity spin in aid of The British Heart Foundation so that seems a nice and effective way to raise the expenditure whilst chucking a few quid to a great cause.

Ok, I'm outta here. Speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Spike4000Spike4000 Member Posts: 278
    well done on your progress so far, be safe but enjoy doing it.

i did a diet start of this year, just hardly no sugar and i lost 2 stone in 2 months. and by sugar i mean carbs also as they are effectively sugar. i ate alot of meat and dairy as they were fine and didnt contain any sugar. it wokred until i gave up not sure why... oh well maybe start again after xmas :neutral:
  • Options
    Day 23 31/10/23

Kcals expended 4,234
    Kcals consumed 2,115
    Calorie deficit 2,119

Had a good day today, ate really well and actually consumed 75Kcals over my allotted amount. However, not bothered because that meant I was well fueled for a manic charity spin session and coped very well with what turned out to be a 90 minute "hard" session.

Very happy with the calories expended and right now am feeling hydrated and recovered. Wednesday will see a gym session with weights and maybe a light bike ride and so probably a slightly lighter day expenditure wise.

Ok, thanks for the continued encouragement. I'm outta here, speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    day 24 01/11/23

Kcals expended 3,658
    Kcals consumed 1,973
    Calorie deficit 1,685

Steady day, no dramas and on to the next one.

I'm outta here, speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Day 25 02/11/23

Kcals expended 3,230
    Kcals consumed 3,110
    Calorie deficit 120

Wanted pizza and beer. Had pizza and beer.

Yes it looks horrendous and is not the way to achieve anything, but it needed to be done if only to allow me that feeling of over indulgence. Back on the deficit wagon and full steam ahead.

P.S. The body absolutely no longer tolerates large amounts of cr4p. Feeling decidedly sluggish this morning.

I'm outta here. Speak tomorrow.
  • Options

Wowzer, highest daily intake since you started if I'm not mistaken, cals expended was unusually low too.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Wowzer, highest daily intake since you started if I'm not mistaken, cals expended was unusually low too.

Yes, you're absolutely spot on Tony. Just wanted to take a day out and see how it felt to be "the old" me.

Not particularly good as it happens, but now I know. I can't believe this sluggish, lethargic, tired state used to be my normal everyday condition.

If nothing else yesterday was worth it just to reinforce everything that was wrong before and to keep on this new path to better health.
  • Options

Yup, understood.

I tend to spend half my life dieting - as I am right now - and always feel great but yearn for "bad food" - pork pies, bread, sticky buns etc - but within days of coming off any diet I always feel bad again. Trying to find the happy medium is almost impossible for me, especially as I don't eat vegetables.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Tikay10 said:

Yup, understood.

I tend to spend half my life dieting - as I am right now - and always feel great but yearn for "bad food" - pork pies, bread, sticky buns etc - but within days of coming off any diet I always feel bad again. Trying to find the happy medium is almost impossible for me, especially as I don't eat vegetables.

Ah didn't eat veggies until a few years ago now ah have them everyday, and ah have hamemade veggie soup at least 4 times a week as a dinner
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

Tikay10 said:

Yup, understood.

Ah didn't eat veggies until a few years ago now ah have them everyday, and ah have hamemade veggie soup at least 4 times a week as a dinner

@rabdeniro

Pervert.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    You don't make friends with salad
    https://youtu.be/0L2_RvXVMxE
  • Options
    Day 26 03/11/23

Kcals expended 6,436
    Kcals consumed 1,316
    calorie deficit 5,120

Boom. Huge expenditure made quite simple by keeping a state of perpetual motion for several hours. Simply staying on your feet and moving, especially when you are as heavy as me, creates a considerable burn.

Didn't skimp on the consumption either. I was obviously still massively carb loaded from the day before so I just grazed a little when I felt peckish.

Ok, I'm outta here. The weekend awaits.

Speak tomorrow.
  • Options

Record high for cals expended I think. "Perpetual motion" seems to have worked.