You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fresh DWP checks on bank accounts to make sure benefit claimants' 'aren't lying' set from Wednesday

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,226
edited November 2023 in The Rail
Out-of-work Universal Credit claimants will be stripped of all support if they don’t move into jobs

Out of work benefit claimants will be stripped of all support if they do not move into work under a universal credit crackdown.

Universal credit claimants will be asked to take part in work placements requiring them to take a job at the end or risk losing their income under new trial plans.

Benefit sanctions will be ramped up meaning people who do not seek employment will lose all support after six months – including losing free prescriptions and legal aid.

Digital tools will also be used to “track” attendance at job fairs and interviews under the toughened sanctions regime.

The measures, unveiled ahead of the Autumn Statement, are part of ministers’ plans to cut the welfare bill and get more people into work.
Tougher sanctions will come alongside a boost to other programmes offering mental health support, occupational health and career guidance to to “help those with mental or physical health conditions stay in or find work”.

The Government believes the package could help up to 1,100,000 people look for and stay in employment.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the stricter sanctions would prevent “anyone choosing to coast on the hard work of taxpayers” from receiving benefits.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/out-of-work-universal-credit-claimants-will-be-stripped-of-all-support-if-they-don-t-move-into-jobs/ar-AA1k2soP?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7a9d8e287b064951ade8a848c2e55ac8&ei=32

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,761
    I guess those tax cuts for inheritance and business won’t play for themselves……imo throwing folk off benefits would only encourage a crime wave……
  • Options

I guess those tax cuts for inheritance and business won’t play for themselves……imo throwing folk off benefits would only encourage a crime wave……

Having a bit more money after I am dead makes little appeal to me.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,635
    I am a bit concerned about the way things are going here. So to start with I think everyone will agree with certain principles
    1. if your on benefits and do not have a disability or dependents that you need to take care of you should be working or seeking work
    2. people who are fortunate enough to be in the financial position where they do not need help who are out of work should not be getting benifits.
    3. people who commit fraud to avoid the first two criteria or to make a false claim entirely should be cracked down on.

However what the Tories are doing goes way beyond this and it has reached a point where certain things stack up to the level where by I have to say I want out of this country unless The tories are effectively eliminated as a political party in the next election.

to break it down recent stuff I have read is there are 20 million people on some form of benefits and if your not on benefits at the moment the way the economy is going you will need to be.
    They want to scrap the minimum wage I read recently apparently this will be good for GDP and help people sure I will feel greatly helped if I am offered £1 an hour for work.
    anyone thinking this will help anyone but the rich is fundamentally deluded. There is no way this results in getting more money. One place I was working at previously stated that we had to wear chef hats but only provided us with paper chef hats I was told to be very careful with these and try to only use one, despite the fact they fell apart easy because they apparently are very expensive. I found the exact product on amazon 100 for £14.95 so 15p per one and when I commented on this when eating out at a small cafe the owner there told me they got them for 5p per hat. I cannot believe a company that cracks down on trying to save 5ps is going to pay me any more then they have to so in effect I would be lucky to get £1 an hour.

Now you may say that is ridiculous but they want to also crack down on people who do not seek work or take any work offered to them. So an employer knows that if I do not take that job I can be criminalised literally. what will they offer me then I am serious when I say this 1p an hour.
    further one has to take as much work as they offer, so 70 hours work if you have plans and they ask you to do a four hour shift you now have to cancel those plans even if they literally text you that morning telling you to come in.
    I also read that they plan to take legal aid and prescriptions away from those they find foul. So now if your accused of not playing by the rules on benefits you cannot get a Lawyer because your funds are blocked and seized and your also not allowed legal aid.

This is literally slavery without legal representation been allowed.

Now if one is fortunate enough to not be the exploited masses you face been attacked by the resentful masses sleeping without tents on the streets.

Suppose I am wrong and Tories lose the next election okay great but then what about the election after that and the election after that one.

This Conservative government is now so bad that unless they are decimated as a political party at the next election I feel I have to get out of this country by any means necessary.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,192
    What freaking jobs.

What they mean is take this zero hours, minimum wage contract position with an agency where you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no representation, no set work hours or times, no prospects, no hope and where if you challenge our draconian set up we will simply not offer you any hours at all.

There's hundreds of jobs like that in Stoke. My son had one working in the New Look warehouse, The agency asked him to work four weeks of night shifts and sent him home after about 3 hours each night due to "Issues with the automation".

So between 01.00 / 02.00 with a 7 mile journey to get home and no busses the only real option was a taxi.

After 2 weeks of this he stood his ground, refused to clock out and insisted the agency allocate other duties so he could finish his shift. "Zero Hours Contract Mate" was the reply "We don't guarantee you work".

When he told them to shove it, it became a problem getting any more work elsewhere because he couldn't get a reference, he had to wait 16 weeks to even get a P45 off them.

If it's a case of offering "real jobs" then fine but the mickey mouse, ad hoc approach that typifies warehousing, logistics and retail is simply a case of business trying to use people as slave labour.

A "Real Job" has ; Set hours, a set wage, paye and N.I., annual leave, structured extra working / overtime, etc. etc.

By using agencies Companies bypass all this and as long as they are fully staffed as and when they need to be don't give a toss.

Sorry to rant but I hate agencies, they exist to make huge profits off the exploitation of those who want to work whilst affording the workers none of the benefits associated with a job.

Run by scum, staffed by hard hearted dicks and motivated by greed. If I posted what I would like to see happen to them I'd get banned from the forum.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Tory scumbags, help themselves **** the poor, they really don't have a clue, pressuring people with mental health problems into work, that will turn out good.
  • Options

What freaking jobs.

What they mean is take this zero hours, minimum wage contract position with an agency where you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no representation, no set work hours or times, no prospects, no hope and where if you challenge our draconian set up we will simply not offer you any hours at all.

There's hundreds of jobs like that in Stoke. My son had one working in the New Look warehouse, The agency asked him to work four weeks of night shifts and sent him home after about 3 hours each night due to "Issues with the automation".

So between 01.00 / 02.00 with a 7 mile journey to get home and no busses the only real option was a taxi.

After 2 weeks of this he stood his ground, refused to clock out and insisted the agency allocate other duties so he could finish his shift. "Zero Hours Contract Mate" was the reply "We don't guarantee you work".

When he told them to shove it, it became a problem getting any more work elsewhere because he couldn't get a reference, he had to wait 16 weeks to even get a P45 off them.

If it's a case of offering "real jobs" then fine but the mickey mouse, ad hoc approach that typifies warehousing, logistics and retail is simply a case of business trying to use people as slave labour.

A "Real Job" has ; Set hours, a set wage, paye and N.I., annual leave, structured extra working / overtime, etc. etc.

By using agencies Companies bypass all this and as long as they are fully staffed as and when they need to be don't give a toss.

Sorry to rant but I hate agencies, they exist to make huge profits off the exploitation of those who want to work whilst affording the workers none of the benefits associated with a job.

Run by scum, staffed by hard hearted dicks and motivated by greed. If I posted what I would like to see happen to them I'd get banned from the forum.

I made a post about zero hour contracts previously it got ignored.
    The jist of it though is that in my opinion zero hour contracts are okay if they are zero hour on both sides eg I can turn down shifts. Further some shifts are perfectly fine some are not. sometimes its reasonable distance and reasonable hours other times its long travel at awkward hours no way of getting back on public transport or waiting around for hours and only a few hours of paid work.

Like all things I think it depends on the circumstances. I do though concede that it would be inappropriate/wrong to force people to take unviable shifts or accept unreasonable contracts.
  • Options
    Heseltine accuses Tories of fuelling ‘hate politics’ over plot to strip jobless of free prescriptions

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/heseltine-accuses-tories-fuelling-hate-185647341.html
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    Another Tory rapping off ill n sick people .. feed the rich treat poor like s h i t e , HUNT sick man hurting the less fortunate .. independence for us thanks for the help HUNT REPLACE H with a C .. How can you do that to sick and ill people , discrimination from your TORIES again . SCUMBAGS .. HERE WAS ME THINKING DISCRIMINATION WAS NOT ALLOWED . UNLESS YOUR THE TORIES THEY JUST CHANGE THE RULES . GREAT GOVERNMENT NOT .
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,029
    Don't worry we have hotels full of people who will do the slave labour jobs.....
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    I've not even had a phone call from my boss to see how i am after my stroke , nobody gives a monkeys and it's been like that all my working life , my old man was right there's no loyalty look after yourself
  • Options
    I think what particularly disgusts me is the banning of legal aid. That is fundamental to criminal justice.

There are extremes which I think the vast majority would agree on such as if someone is fully able bodied in physical and mental health and has no good reason not to seek employment that they should be seeking employment rather then just been what some call a benefit scrounge.
    If someone has large reserves of funds and is hiding this somehow I am sure we would all agree that is wrong.

if someone is wheel chair bound with cancer and in constant pain I am sure we would all agree they should be getting support.
    If someone is destitute and doing everything in their power and faces homelessness we would agree they should get some sort of support?

however between these two extremes there will be some points which are murky and down to interpretation.

Eg that work shift from an agency which would leave someone stranded waiting an hour plus at early hours for the next train is that fair to expect or not? someone who goes out for a meal when they are near a key savings figure is that deprivation of capital?

there should be sensible conclusions eg for each £250 in savings £4.35 deducted from allowance beyond certain limits is someone really going to spend £40 say to get £4.35 more it would take nearly a year to get that money back and they would need to keep doing this so it hardly makes sense. the criteria for what work one takes the health exceptions and etc no matter where you set your line there will always be vague debatable cases.

What the tories want to do is push way beyond the vague cases and start penalising people whom the majority of us would say have done nothing wrong. They then want to take away there right to legal representation.

If you put a layman in front of seasoned government lawyers in court without any right in fact it basically specifically forbidden to have legal aid these people will have little chance in court no matter how in the right they are.

Thus criminalising people who are desperate vulnerable and have done nothing wrong.

Maybe the Tories are right on one thing homelessness may be a choice because I think a good number of people would rather choose homelessness then face what they are creating.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,761
    stokefc said:

I've not even had a phone call from my boss to see how i am after my stroke , nobody gives a monkeys and it's been like that all my working life , my old man was right there's no loyalty look after yourself

yer just a number......
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    Hope your on the mend Stoke , Your old man is spot on , so are you , no own cares its only how much they can make from your hard labour at work , if your ill in any way its get rid and get someone else . only be loyal to yourself nowadays . sad fact but true
  • Options
  • Options
    Disabled people must work from home to do ‘their duty’, says UK minister

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/disabled-people-must-home-duty-092053912.html