You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Calorie deficit for 70 days at 60 years old. CHALLENGE ENDED EARLY AMID PANIC AND SADNESS

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,224
    Day 58 05/12/23

Kcals expended 3,413
    Kcals consumed 2,261
    Calorie deficit 1,152

Another "normal" day. Took advantage of Steak Night at Spoons and even had a pint of some Christmas I.P.A. to wash it down.

I'm outta here. Speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Day 59 06/12/23

Kcals expended 3,203
    kcals consumed 2,197
    Calorie deficit 1,006

Day 60 07/12/23

Kcals expended 3,345
    Kcals consumed 1,993
    Calorie deficit 1,352

Steady figures, nothing really stands out and on we go.

Outta here, speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Day 61 08/12/23

Kcals expended 3,218
    Kcals consumed 2,469
    Calorie deficit 749

Yah boo sucks with bells on. Wanted fish and chips so that's what I had, a big fish at that. Also had a bottle of beer, a big bottle at that. Managed a deficit, a small deficit at that.

Nine more days to go.

I'm outta here, speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Day 62 09/12/23

Kcals expended 3,159
    Kcals consumed 1,470
    Calorie deficit 1,689

Hardly any calories expended today but with almost 10 hours of live European Cup Rugby on the telly it's to be expected.

The good part is that in the past I would have spent all day with beer and nibbles as an accompaniment whereas it was simply diet soda and proper, normal meals.

Day 63 will see double Church as the Sunday morning meeting will be followed early evening by the Christmas Carol service. Mince Pie, Stollen and mulled wine will be ready to tempt but I'm feeling strong willed.

Ok, will post tomorrow with the week 9 totals.

I'm outta here.
  • Options
    Day 63 10/12/23

Kcals expended 3,426
    Kcals consumed 2,329
    Calorie deficit 1,107

WEEKLY TOTALS

Kcals expended 23,288
    Kcals consumed 14,949
    Calorie deficit 8,399

Well, it's another week with an overall deficit but it's been quite a struggle. I'm laid up with a heavy cold, have no energy to train and just want to stuff food into my body.

Thank heavens it's the final week.
  • Options
    Day 64 11/12/23

Kcals expended 3,166
    Kcals consumed 2,875
    Calorie deficit 291

How many effing calories are there in cough mixture and suchlike. Wow, more than you realise. Wont be taking any more of that.

Seriously, I got well and truly ambushed by Benylin and Night Nurse. It's a crafty thing as they don't put the information on the box.

Ok, I'm outta here, speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Haven't been on here for a few days.

Thursday morning during a routine doctors appointment my Mum collapsed unconscious and was rushed into hospital with heart failure. She is still in the Coronary Care Unit under assessment and whilst she has been stabilised and is responding well there is now a serious issue with her kidneys that require medical intervention.

The following morning I learned that a friend had passed away. Yes he had been ill with cancer for a few years but it was still a rapid decline, the prognosis was that he would be with us into the New Year.

Set against this backdrop and with the 101 things I suddenly find myself doing, I have neither the inclination or the desire to finish the challenge. I shall, probably in the New year do a review of it and set out my goals for 2024.

In the meantime have a great Christmas and a peaceful New Year.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,924

Thoughts are with you, your family & especially your Mum.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,641
    Agree , when the world is on top of you priorities take precedent
    Hope your Mum will be ok take care mate
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,773
    sad to hear about your friend @TheEdge949, i hope your mum ok and has a speedy recovery, such a **** time of year for all that to happen, thoughts with you buddy.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    So sad to read the news of your Mum and friend, thoughts are with you Mark, stay strong x
  • Options
    Just an update on Mum. She is having a pacemaker fitted within the next 48 hours which should prevent the "heart dips" she has been experiencing. This is great news as she lives on her own and a major concern was a repeat of the collapse whilst nobody was there to get help.

The root cause is still under investigation but it's looking more likely that a combination of high potassium levels caused by certain of her medication, and the effect of the beta blockers slowing the heart caused the heart to slow to around 30 bpm. not ideal in an 84 year old.

This then triggered a lack of oxygen which caused the collapse and then in a downward cycle a slower heart rate, less oxygen, less heart rate etc until complete cardiac arrest.

Anyhow, the fitting is apparently a straightforward process done under a local anaesthetic and all being well Mum will be home by Thursday.

A massive thanks for the good wishes, I have a younger sister who is rubbish at stuff like this and I have to be stoic to stop her falling apart, and your thoughts and support really helped.

Sincerely, Mark.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,372

Just an update on Mum. She is having a pacemaker fitted within the next 48 hours which should prevent the "heart dips" she has been experiencing. This is great news as she lives on her own and a major concern was a repeat of the collapse whilst nobody was there to get help.

The root cause is still under investigation but it's looking more likely that a combination of high potassium levels caused by certain of her medication, and the effect of the beta blockers slowing the heart caused the heart to slow to around 30 bpm. not ideal in an 84 year old.

This then triggered a lack of oxygen which caused the collapse and then in a downward cycle a slower heart rate, less oxygen, less heart rate etc until complete cardiac arrest.

Anyhow, the fitting is apparently a straightforward process done under a local anaesthetic and all being well Mum will be home by Thursday.

A massive thanks for the good wishes, I have a younger sister who is rubbish at stuff like this and I have to be stoic to stop her falling apart, and your thoughts and support really helped.

Sincerely, Mark.

Fingers crossed.