You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Stream/Sky Glass-The Future Of TV.

Comments

• Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

HAYSIE said:

I dont understand it then.
    I already have the multiroom on Sky Q.
    I thought that each TV that was connected may have had a separate playlist.

Sky Q has separate hard disks where things are recorded to the box, so they can operate independently. The Stream pucks are simply giving you an internet connection like a firestick does, then the package grants you access to additional services (e.g. SkySports).

You can add as many pucks as you like but they’re all using the same playlist within the account. Sky could sort this by setting profiles within its software, but they haven’t.
    Sky Stream review: beautiful 4K and Dolby Atmos without a dish, but it'll cost you
    Our long-term review of Sky's streaming box reveals a great option for videophiles, with some foibles

The Sky Stream delivers gorgeous-looking 4K HDR pictures, especially from Sky's own channels, and great Dolby Atmos sound where supported. Its goal of mixing content from all the biggest streaming services works well, though is not without irritation and limitations – and I really wish it had HDMI-based control. For sports fans and movie lovers, it's a great addition to a streaming house, but it's not quite flexible enough to be the only streaming box everyone needs.

Pros
    +High-quality 4K Dolby Vision pictures
    +Overall easy to use, within its sandbox
    +Dolby Atmos audio support
    +Some good-value subscription options
    Cons
    -Pushes shows from services you don't have
    -Some features inconsistent across apps
    -Limited streaming app support
    -4K and Atmos are a paid upgrade

The Sky Stream has a bunch of small irritations for me, though. The largest of which is the lack of HDMI-CEC, so you can't control it using your TV's remote. In theory, the Sky Stream should learn to control your TV using its own remote during setup, but this didn't work properly for me, and there's no way to repeat the process from the menu, so I can't control volume from the Stream's remote. HDMI-CEC would make all this automatic.

It also promotes shows and movies to you from services you don't have, which can be annoying, since it's just wasted recommendation space. And the experience isn't totally consistent between services. For example, Sky's great 'Playlist' button on the remote makes it so easy to add things to a watchlist to find later, but it doesn't work in Paramount Plus, which has its own totally separate system… but I only have access to Paramount Plus through the Stream, so it just feels silly. I would say the Stream's menus are also generally less responsive and smooth than the Apple TV 4K.

For people with broad tastes, you couldn't rely on just the Sky Stream, either. There's no Shudder or Hayu, for example, so you'd need another streaming device to watch those (and other more niche streaming services) – probably either an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Chromecast with Google TV or Apple TV 4K. But as a mainstream, uh, streamer, Sky Stream and its many packages will keep most people well satisfied, as long as you can take the cost.

Unlike most similar streaming boxes we cover here, you need to think of Sky Stream as a subscription. The box on its own is not a thing. The most basic way to get it is for £26 per month on an 18-month contract or £29 per month on a rolling one-month contract with no long-term obligation (a one-month free trial is available for either). For that price, you're getting the core Sky Entertainment and Netflix package for movies and shows.

That means all of Sky's core channels and originals are open to you, including the likes of Sky Atlantic and Sky Max, plus standard UK TV channels, Eurosport and various other things to watch. Stuff from Sky's channels is available on-demand or live, all streamed. And Netflix is included for this price too, in its 'Basic' package, which is okay if you'll only watch from the Sky Stream anyway. But bear in mind, this is all in HD only, and with no Dolby Atmos.

If you want to go UHD and Atmos, it's an additional £6 per month, which is no small addition. So with one of the best 4K TVs and best Dolby Atmos soundbars, the minimum price to really make the most is actually £32 per month. And that upgrade doesn't apply to Netflix! To upgrade Netflix from 'Basic' to 'Premium' so you get 4K and Atmos, an additional £8 per month is needed. So, call it £40 per month in total just for the most basic package in 4K.

And then we get to the other add-ons. Sky Sports is usually £25 per month on an 18-month contract, or £27 on a rolling contract. TNT Sports (formerly BT Sport) is £30 per month.

Sky Cinema is £11 per month on an 18-month contract, or £13 per month on a rolling contract. This includes not just Sky Cinema's movie offerings, but also a Paramount Plus subscription, which unlocks tons more movies and a load of TV shows, of course. This makes the Sky Cinema option an especially tempting add-on, in my opinion, but I'm also a huge movie-fiend, so it really hits the target for me.

Then there's Sky Kids, which is £6 per month to unlock the likes of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. And finally, once you've added all this up, if you want to skip the ads at the start of on-demand shows that Sky has included, despite these costs, that's £5 per month. This one will gall a lot of people…

One of the best features of Sky Stream is the 'Playlist' feature, where you just hit the '+' button on the remote to add things to your watch list, and it works across different types of stuff. You can hit it during a live show to make future episodes appear in your playlist, you can hit it while browsing movies to just bookmark the movie for later viewing, and you can use it for films and shows you'll find recommended for many apps, including Netflix and Disney Plus. But it doesn't work for everything. Most surprisingly, it doesn't work with Paramount Plus, which feels bizarre considering it's included with Sky Cinema.

https://www.techradar.com/televisions/streaming-devices/sky-stream-review-beautiful-4k-and-dolby-atmos-without-a-dish-but-itll-cost-you
    I’m not sure any of that was a reply to me but it reminded me of something else. For £11 a month I get Sky Cinema and Paramount+ as mentioned but they also give 2 free cinema tickets per month to the local Vue cinema which is pretty useful for me.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,114
    bbMike said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

HAYSIE said:

I dont understand it then.
    I already have the multiroom on Sky Q.
    I thought that each TV that was connected may have had a separate playlist.

Sky Q has separate hard disks where things are recorded to the box, so they can operate independently. The Stream pucks are simply giving you an internet connection like a firestick does, then the package grants you access to additional services (e.g. SkySports).

You can add as many pucks as you like but they’re all using the same playlist within the account. Sky could sort this by setting profiles within its software, but they haven’t.
    Sky Stream review: beautiful 4K and Dolby Atmos without a dish, but it'll cost you
    Our long-term review of Sky's streaming box reveals a great option for videophiles, with some foibles

The Sky Stream delivers gorgeous-looking 4K HDR pictures, especially from Sky's own channels, and great Dolby Atmos sound where supported. Its goal of mixing content from all the biggest streaming services works well, though is not without irritation and limitations – and I really wish it had HDMI-based control. For sports fans and movie lovers, it's a great addition to a streaming house, but it's not quite flexible enough to be the only streaming box everyone needs.

Pros
    +High-quality 4K Dolby Vision pictures
    +Overall easy to use, within its sandbox
    +Dolby Atmos audio support
    +Some good-value subscription options
    Cons
    -Pushes shows from services you don't have
    -Some features inconsistent across apps
    -Limited streaming app support
    -4K and Atmos are a paid upgrade

The Sky Stream has a bunch of small irritations for me, though. The largest of which is the lack of HDMI-CEC, so you can't control it using your TV's remote. In theory, the Sky Stream should learn to control your TV using its own remote during setup, but this didn't work properly for me, and there's no way to repeat the process from the menu, so I can't control volume from the Stream's remote. HDMI-CEC would make all this automatic.

It also promotes shows and movies to you from services you don't have, which can be annoying, since it's just wasted recommendation space. And the experience isn't totally consistent between services. For example, Sky's great 'Playlist' button on the remote makes it so easy to add things to a watchlist to find later, but it doesn't work in Paramount Plus, which has its own totally separate system… but I only have access to Paramount Plus through the Stream, so it just feels silly. I would say the Stream's menus are also generally less responsive and smooth than the Apple TV 4K.

For people with broad tastes, you couldn't rely on just the Sky Stream, either. There's no Shudder or Hayu, for example, so you'd need another streaming device to watch those (and other more niche streaming services) – probably either an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Chromecast with Google TV or Apple TV 4K. But as a mainstream, uh, streamer, Sky Stream and its many packages will keep most people well satisfied, as long as you can take the cost.

Unlike most similar streaming boxes we cover here, you need to think of Sky Stream as a subscription. The box on its own is not a thing. The most basic way to get it is for £26 per month on an 18-month contract or £29 per month on a rolling one-month contract with no long-term obligation (a one-month free trial is available for either). For that price, you're getting the core Sky Entertainment and Netflix package for movies and shows.

That means all of Sky's core channels and originals are open to you, including the likes of Sky Atlantic and Sky Max, plus standard UK TV channels, Eurosport and various other things to watch. Stuff from Sky's channels is available on-demand or live, all streamed. And Netflix is included for this price too, in its 'Basic' package, which is okay if you'll only watch from the Sky Stream anyway. But bear in mind, this is all in HD only, and with no Dolby Atmos.

If you want to go UHD and Atmos, it's an additional £6 per month, which is no small addition. So with one of the best 4K TVs and best Dolby Atmos soundbars, the minimum price to really make the most is actually £32 per month. And that upgrade doesn't apply to Netflix! To upgrade Netflix from 'Basic' to 'Premium' so you get 4K and Atmos, an additional £8 per month is needed. So, call it £40 per month in total just for the most basic package in 4K.

And then we get to the other add-ons. Sky Sports is usually £25 per month on an 18-month contract, or £27 on a rolling contract. TNT Sports (formerly BT Sport) is £30 per month.

Sky Cinema is £11 per month on an 18-month contract, or £13 per month on a rolling contract. This includes not just Sky Cinema's movie offerings, but also a Paramount Plus subscription, which unlocks tons more movies and a load of TV shows, of course. This makes the Sky Cinema option an especially tempting add-on, in my opinion, but I'm also a huge movie-fiend, so it really hits the target for me.

Then there's Sky Kids, which is £6 per month to unlock the likes of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. And finally, once you've added all this up, if you want to skip the ads at the start of on-demand shows that Sky has included, despite these costs, that's £5 per month. This one will gall a lot of people…

One of the best features of Sky Stream is the 'Playlist' feature, where you just hit the '+' button on the remote to add things to your watch list, and it works across different types of stuff. You can hit it during a live show to make future episodes appear in your playlist, you can hit it while browsing movies to just bookmark the movie for later viewing, and you can use it for films and shows you'll find recommended for many apps, including Netflix and Disney Plus. But it doesn't work for everything. Most surprisingly, it doesn't work with Paramount Plus, which feels bizarre considering it's included with Sky Cinema.

https://www.techradar.com/televisions/streaming-devices/sky-stream-review-beautiful-4k-and-dolby-atmos-without-a-dish-but-itll-cost-you
    I’m not sure any of that was a reply to me but it reminded me of something else. For £11 a month I get Sky Cinema and Paramount+ as mentioned but they also give 2 free cinema tickets per month to the local Vue cinema which is pretty useful for me.

I only have a TV package with Sky.
    My Sky cinema was costing £9 per month but has gone up to £11 this month.
    Although the price quoted on the bills before any discount is £19.
    There are a couple of things I have recently noticed regarding the prices quoted for the various packages.
    They now say that "prices may change during contract".
    This clause may have always existed, but I have only just noticed it.
    Secondly the bills now include all the pre-discounted prices.
    So the price of my current package is apparently £84.
    Up until this month, I have been paying £48.
    From this month it has gone up to £56.
    It will increase to £62.39 from March.
    It seems that they are able to reduce discounts when they please.

• Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Thanks for that.
    If I had 2 TVs, I wouldnt need any pucks?
    Would no pucks mean no multiroom charges?

If you did this you would have to pay £14 for each subscription as in effect you have 2 so it would be cheaper getting a puck.

Think of the TVs as being totally separate purchases from the service subscription.

I will have to pop into a store.
    One of the articles I have posted said that you could have 3 TVs, and up to 6 pucks.
    I wouldnt want 3 TVs or 6 pucks.
    Just two TVs, or one TV, and a puck.
    I appreciate that a Sky glass TV provides an improved viewing experience, when compared to an average TV.
    Doesnt it therefore make sense if two TVs are in use in your house, to buy two Sky glass TVs.
    I wouldnt consider this if it involved the purchase of two TV packages, at just about double the cost, on top of the £2k for the 2 TVs.
    Would a large family really pay for 3 TV packages, as well as £72 per month for 6 pucks?
    That would total around £250 per month, plus a bit more for Sky Sport if required.
    To maximise the benefits of Sky glass, most people surely need 2 TVs.

I will have a look after Christmas, and decide on Sky glass, stream, or staying with Sky Q.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

I have the sky glass tv (65") with 'now tv' internet and a dodgy firestick in total it costs £68 incl payments for the TV, it cost me £114 for internet and broadband with Virgin...

As @green_beer says the Virgin internet is much better but the customer service was abysmal and they weren't nearly as good to deal with as Sky (i did have Sky Internet before virgin and it was ok, now tv is Sky)

The TV works fine for me, we rarely record anything so it doesn't really affect me, all in all I am very happy with it, may look at changing the broadband provider though next year

What firestick have you got?
  • Options
    Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.

Have you looked at Sky stream?

I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.

You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?

On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

Roku Streaming Stick 4K | Full Tour & Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslV_VyP6OY

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.

Have you looked at Sky stream?

I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.

You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?

On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

Roku Streaming Stick 4K | Full Tour & Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslV_VyP6OY

Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Best TV Streamer with Insane Upscaling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAfh1SqNPI
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

I have the sky glass tv (65") with 'now tv' internet and a dodgy firestick in total it costs £68 incl payments for the TV, it cost me £114 for internet and broadband with Virgin...

As @green_beer says the Virgin internet is much better but the customer service was abysmal and they weren't nearly as good to deal with as Sky (i did have Sky Internet before virgin and it was ok, now tv is Sky)

The TV works fine for me, we rarely record anything so it doesn't really affect me, all in all I am very happy with it, may look at changing the broadband provider though next year

Just the basic one at £50 ish, either of the two above are likely better, the important part is the app that my cousin gets for me from a friend of a friend of a friend etc......it allows me to access a load of different channels....live TV (mainly for sport), Series, Movies
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Just the basic one at £50 ish, either of the two above are likely better, the important part is the app that my cousin gets for me from a friend of a friend of a friend etc......it allows me to access a load of different channels....live TV (mainly for sport), Series, Movies
    I dont understand.
    If you take the example below, it allows access to the apps I have highlighted.
    All of which require a subscription.
    I cant see the point of buying a firestick, if you still had to pay the subscriptions.
    So does the firestick allow you full access to their content free of charge?

Best Fire TV Stick 2023: Pick the perfect Amazon media streamer for you

Amazon offers a range of Fire TV streaming sticks – read on to find out which one will suit your needs best
    First off, for those of you who aren’t fully sure what a streaming stick is, let us fill you in. A streaming stick is basically exactly what it sounds like, an internet-connected device that plugs into your TV and allows you to stream TV series and movies from a variety of apps and services. Every model in Amazon’s Fire TV streaming stick range allows you to easily stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, NOW, Apple, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and My 5 all in one place.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/media-streamers/1417169/best-fire-tv-stick
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

I have watched the above videos again.
    They appear to show that you cant access the usual suspects without paying a subscription.
    The guy reviewing them seems quite positive about both products.
    Yet I am left wondering what I would gain by buying either.
    I would be quite happy to buy a couple of streaming devices, assuming I would gain some additional content that appealed to me.
    Sky allows you to access a free Roku app, which has very little on it.
    Yet it is the number one streaming platform in the USA.

The firestick review above seems to imply that the content you can access either requires a subscription, or is already free through Sky.
    The only exception seems to be Now, all the others can be accessed through Sky free of charge, or by paying a subscription.

I appreciate that you can get some extra content, but at present I am unable to see why anyone would buy one of these devices.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

I have watched the above videos again.
    They appear to show that you cant access the usual suspects without paying a subscription.
    The guy reviewing them seems quite positive about both products.
    Yet I am left wondering what I would gain by buying either.
    I would be quite happy to buy a couple of streaming devices, assuming I would gain some additional content that appealed to me.
    Sky allows you to access a free Roku app, which has very little on it.
    Yet it is the number one streaming platform in the USA.

The firestick review above seems to imply that the content you can access either requires a subscription, or is already free through Sky.
    The only exception seems to be Now, all the others can be accessed through Sky free of charge, or by paying a subscription.

I appreciate that you can get some extra content, but at present I am unable to see why anyone would buy one of these devices.
    I should have spoken to Mrs Haysie before.
    Apparently one of her friends uses a firestick.
    She doesnt watch much telly, and hasnt got Sky.
    She is also able to access a number of apps through her daughters subscription.
    That is, I suppose a good reason for buying one.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,012
    edited December 2023
    bbMike said:
    Most people claim they didn't realise that what they are doing is illegal. Something that might be a little trickier in the @Haysie household, as it may be a challenge to persuade the relevant authorities that you didn't read your own posts.

"She is also able to access a number of apps through her daughters subscription.
    That is, I suppose a good reason for buying one."

Loads of people do this. And pretend they did not realise they were doing anything wrong. In shock news, it is possible to save money by nicking stuff ;)

I've just discovered my daughter paid for her shopping at Tescos. Does that mean I am entitled to my shopping from Tescos for free?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

bbMike said:
    Most people claim they didn't realise that what they are doing is illegal. Something that might be a little trickier in the @Haysie household, as it may be a challenge to persuade the relevant authorities that you didn't read your own posts.

To my knowledge this practice is within the rules of the majority of streaming services.
    They allow you to connect a number of devices, and have not been bothered about restricting these devices to the address of the subscriber.
    @MISTY4ME has been on the forum, as he was getting Netflix through his Dads subscription.
    Although there were a number of articles about this practice, and claims that they intended to crack down on it.
    I dont really have an objection to this, but I do think that by allowing it, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
    I pay in full for all my subscriptions.

"She is also able to access a number of apps through her daughters subscription.

Loads of people do this. And pretend they did not realise they were doing anything wrong. In shock news, it is possible to save money by nicking stuff ;)

If it is within the rules, is it nicking?

I've just discovered my daughter paid for her shopping at Tescos. Does that mean I am entitled to my shopping from Tescos for free?
    No.
    Not sure that this is relevant.

I have been looking at streaming devices, as I wouldnt mind paying for some additional alternatives to what I can currently access.
    I suppose I would categorise the TV programmes I currently watch, as passable, ok, and stuff I look forward to.
    Although there is not currently that much that I look forward to.
    When I first got Netflix, it was great, because there was so much on there that I hadnt seen.
    As time when on, I found there were few of the new programmes that I wanted to see.
    I also believe that they have cornered the market for incompetent actors, and poor dubbing.
    There same was true of Prime, although they probably produce better programmes.
    I dont watch either of them enough to justify the subscription, although I do get other benefits from Prime, and Netflix is included in the Sky deal.
    I have had a couple of free trials on Apple +, and its the same story.
    I dont think any of them produce enough new programmes that I could look forward to, to justify the subscription.
    I would include Sky, Netflix, Prime, and Apple+ in this.

• Options
    bbMike said:
    As far as I am aware she uses the fire stick legitimately, and only accesses programmes she is entitled to.
    She also uses Netflix legally, through her daughters subscription.
    I dont know about any other streaming services.
    She isnt clever enough to hack, clone, or tamper with the device.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

bbMike said:

That article refers to fraud.

One-in-three people with streaming subscriptions share accounts with other households – Deloitte

Deloitte estimates that 35% of people with access to a subscription-video-on-demand (SVOD) service are sharing at least one of their subscriptions with other households;- One-in-four users (25%) are sharing the cost of an SVOD platform they use, rising to 34% for 16-24 year-olds;
    More than half (57%) of respondents who share a paid SVOD service say they would stop using the service if subscription sharing was banned;
    Meanwhile, 21% of consumers say they have cancelled an SVOD service in the last year, with the rising cost-of-living a driver in cancellations.
    More than a third (35%) of people with access to a subscription-video-on-demand (SVOD) service are sharing at least one of their subscriptions with others outside their home, according to Deloitte.

Subscription sharing has also become more formalised, with a quarter of users (25%) sharing the cost of an SVOD platform they use with other households. This is also most prolific among younger users, rising to 34% for 16-24 year-olds and 32% for 25-34 year-olds.
    Among respondents who are currently using a service paid for by someone outside their household, the majority (57%) say that they would stop consuming the service if subscription sharing was banned. Only 15% say that they would take out a new subscription themselves if sharing was banned.

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/press-releases/articles/one-in-three-people-with-streaming-subscriptions-share-accounts-with-other-households.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,012
    That article does not refer to fraud. It makes no comment on it. But then Accountants doing Law is probably a lot like me doing Accounts.

It is fraud. Whenever you log on using someone's identity that is not you, and not a member of your household, in order to use a service that you/your household have not contractually paid for, you are leaving yourself open to a whole range of both civil and criminal actions.

The main reason that the current providers are not taking action is because they are desperate to claim viewing figures. Pretty soon, 1 of the big ones will go spectacularly bust. And then the people running their Insolvency (a firm of Accountants) is going to be able to charge massive fees while pursuing people.

To give a really simple example, do you think Netflix or whoever are not able to ascertain when 2 different households are simultaneously using the same log in?

Subscription sharing is, quite simply, illegal. And considerably more risky than various other ways of doing such things. Perfectly possible (even probable) that the vast majority will never be prosecuted or sued.

You are commenting on a betting platform. Explaining how it is possible to defraud big Companies via illegal multi-accounting, and giving false details to the provider.

Are you sure that is wise?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

That article does not refer to fraud. It makes no comment on it. But then Accountants doing Law is probably a lot like me doing Accounts.

It is fraud. Whenever you log on using someone's identity that is not you, and not a member of your household, in order to use a service that you/your household have not contractually paid for, you are leaving yourself open to a whole range of both civil and criminal actions.

The main reason that the current providers are not taking action is because they are desperate to claim viewing figures. Pretty soon, 1 of the big ones will go spectacularly bust. And then the people running their Insolvency (a firm of Accountants) is going to be able to charge massive fees while pursuing people.

To give a really simple example, do you think Netflix or whoever are not able to ascertain when 2 different households are simultaneously using the same log in?

Subscription sharing is, quite simply, illegal. And considerably more risky than various other ways of doing such things. Perfectly possible (even probable) that the vast majority will never be prosecuted or sued.

You are commenting on a betting platform. Explaining how it is possible to defraud big Companies via illegal multi-accounting, and giving false details to the provider.

Are you sure that is wise?

I wasnt commenting on anything to do with betting.
    The main thrust of the article that @bbMike referred to, that I originally posted, was that people who had hacked, cloned, or tampered with streaming devices in order to access content that required a subscription to be paid, without paying it, could look forward to a knock on the door from the police.
    I thought this was fraud.

However accessing this content from a device that is registered with the supplier, and within the number of devices allowed by the supplier, surely breaks no law.
    The supplier will be aware of the IP addresses of all devices that are accessing their content.
    It seems that the suppliers are happy to do this.
    I am not sure that this is because of the viewing figures.
    A more likely reason will be that the subscription increases in line with the number of devices that are registered.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Sky Glass TV: how does it work and how much does it cost?
    With Sky TV built-in, the Sky Glass is an all-in-one solution for watching Sky channels. Here's everything you need to know if you're considering buying one

Can you record on Sky Glass TV?
    One of the best things about traditional Sky boxes is the ability to record TV onto the hard drive built into them.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for the Sky Glass. There's no PVR functionality, no internal hard drive to record onto and no USB port to add your own hard drive. This means you also can't watch content stored on a USB hard drive on a Sky Glass.

Instead, Sky Glass lets you 'Playlist' shows. This works like adding a show to your watchlist on Netflix and lets you go back to it later. It's not a dedicated recording, though, so if you added a BBC show to your Playlist it would be available only for as long as it was on iPlayer. You can't add shows from some channels to your Playlist either due to licencing restrictions.

Is a Sky Glass subscription more expensive than Sky TV?
    You don't need a Sky Glass TV to get Sky content. You can also get it through a Sky Q box or Sky Stream.

The prices are similar, but a Sky Glass subscription can be slightly cheaper if you don't factor in the monthly payment for the TV. The costs are for the cheapest Sky package, which is Sky Entertainment and Netflix Basic.

Sky Stream - £26 per month for 18 months or £29 per month on a rolling contract
    Sky Q - £31 per month with a £20 upfront fee
    You also need to pay £20 extra per month for HD and 4K channels on the Sky Q and £6 per month for 4K and Dolby Atmos support on the Sky Stream.

Sky Glass advantages and disadvantages
    If you're a Sky subscriber, or are considering becoming one, getting a new TV that you pay for as part of your subscription is a tempting prospect - not least because it has all the gubbins you need to watch Sky content without a satellite dish.

This integration of hardware and content is the clear selling point of the TV. The addition of a built-in soundbar is also a positive. What's more, you can use your voice to control some aspects of the TV and search for content to watch.

There are drawbacks to how Sky has designed the TV, though. The lack of a way to record content onto a hard drive or watch content on one is a shame. There's no app store either, so you're stuck with pre-installed apps until Sky decides to add more.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/sky-glass-tv-how-does-it-work-and-how-much-does-it-cost-aabuI1o5q8aa