You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

CAR insurance Price increase NSFW

2»

Comments

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,767
    HAYSIE said:

its probably because of all the electric car fires that the media also fail to tell you about for obvious reasons and also remember, although i know you don't believe it , they don't want you driving much longer.

Are electric car fires really that common?

The one EV fear that refuses to go away, however, is the claim that they’re much more likely to catch fire than are traditional combustion-engined vehicles. Pictures of electric car fires pop up regularly on social media, usually showing a flaming or burnt-out Tesla somewhere in America, with the caption “Look how dangerous electric vehicles are!”

In fact, it’s an urban myth – research into actual cases has shown that EVs are much less likely to combust than their petrol or diesel equivalents. That’s not to say that all those pictures on social media never happened; you just don’t see an equivalent number of photos of petrol cars burning to the ground…

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/are-electric-car-fires-really-that-common/
    could also be the EV makers funding the research....just like tobacco done....
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,261

HAYSIE said:

its probably because of all the electric car fires that the media also fail to tell you about for obvious reasons and also remember, although i know you don't believe it , they don't want you driving much longer.

The one EV fear that refuses to go away, however, is the claim that they’re much more likely to catch fire than are traditional combustion-engined vehicles. Pictures of electric car fires pop up regularly on social media, usually showing a flaming or burnt-out Tesla somewhere in America, with the caption “Look how dangerous electric vehicles are!”

In fact, it’s an urban myth – research into actual cases has shown that EVs are much less likely to combust than their petrol or diesel equivalents. That’s not to say that all those pictures on social media never happened; you just don’t see an equivalent number of photos of petrol cars burning to the ground…

In the UK, Air Quality News made an in-depth study of the EV fire threat, and discovered that in 2019 the London Fire Brigade tackled 54 fires in EVs, compared to 1,898 in petrol and diesel cars.

• Options
    edited January 17
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

In the UK, Air Quality News made an in-depth study of the EV fire threat, and discovered that in 2019 the London Fire Brigade tackled 54 fires in EVs, compared to 1,898 in petrol and diesel cars.

whats the % tho......those figures look massive, but you are talking thousands compared to millions...... fwiw i have no vested interest in either, i dont drive.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

whats the % tho......those figures look massive, but you are talking thousands compared to millions...... fwiw i have no vested interest in either, i dont drive.
    You could actually read the f...k..g article.

“Our latest research indicates that the risk of a fire for all types of EV remains less likely than for ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles. It should be noted that the usable data only goes back five years and even now the number of EVs on the roads still represents a very small sample size.

There are very good reasons why an EV is less likely to catch fire than a petrol or diesel car. An EV has far fewer moving parts (friction between components can be a regular cause of fires, leading to overheating). There is no flammable liquid such as petrol being pumped through the car from the fuel tank, usually at the back, to the engine at the front, and there is no hot exhaust to encourage combustion. Without the extensive cooling systems provided by a radiator, and many litres of coolant constantly circulating through the engine, a petrol car would overheat and potentially catch fire within minutes.
  • Options
    sorry @haysie

i dont mean to be nippy.
  • Options

sorry @haysie

i dont mean to be nippy.

No probs.
  • Options

sorry @haysie

i dont mean to be nippy.

I dont have any problem with anyone asking questions.
    I was merely pointing out that the answers to the questions you are asking are covered in the article.
    Its about a 5 minute read.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    I may be wrong but I think the problem with EV fires is that they are very, very dificult to put out, because they are electrical fires and the hundreds or even thousands of electric cells burn with a domino effect.

Apparently ICE car fires are generally put out in about 20 minutes, EV car fires take 3 to 5 HOURS to extinguish, by which time an awful lot of damage has been done to anything in the vicinity (including the road surface).

I'll admit to being biased though, I don't like EVs.
  • Options
    Enut said:

I may be wrong but I think the problem with EV fires is that they are very, very dificult to put out, because they are electrical fires and the hundreds or even thousands of electric cells burn with a domino effect.

Apparently ICE car fires are generally put out in about 20 minutes, EV car fires take 3 to 5 HOURS to extinguish, by which time an awful lot of damage has been done to anything in the vicinity (including the road surface).

You are not alone.
    There was a recent story about Hertz selling 20,000 of them because their customers prefer to hire petrol vehicles.
    Another about a guy that had to pay 21k to replace his battery, due to water damage.
    Yet another today about Teslas being abandoned by the roadside.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,727

Fair comment by @Enut, electrical fires, especially battery fires, are very different to "normal" fires such as those we see from time to time in ICE's.

There does seems to be an anti-EV narrative in the Media currently (pardon the pun), & I'm not sure why. They are not my thing, not at all, but nor are Brussel sprouts or crypto & I don't bang on about it. Live & let live etc.

As an added oddity, conspiracy theorists, most of whom subscribe to "group think", all dislike them.

Whether we like it or not, at some point in time, we are going to run out of oil & thus petrol, & with climate change slowly accelerating, we have to act responsibly. And if that means driving cars we don't particularly like, so be it.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

You are not alone.
    There was a recent story about Hertz selling 20,000 of them because their customers prefer to hire petrol vehicles.
    Another about a guy that had to pay 21k to replace his battery, due to water damage.

I always rent from Hertz when I go to Vegas, but always decline EV's, as I cba to mess about with charging them up every day. It's not "instant" like filling up with petrol, it takes several hours, so I take the easy option & get a traditional ICE vehicle. I don't have any issue with EV's, I just don't want to waste time with the charging palaver.

Eventually, of course, we'll have no choice & have to go electric, but I'll probably be long gone by then.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

You are not alone.

I always rent from Hertz when I go to Vegas, but always decline EV's, as I cba to mess about with charging them up every day. It's not "instant" like filling up with petrol, it takes several hours, so I take the easy option & get a traditional ICE vehicle. I don't have any issue with EV's, I just don't want to waste time with the charging palaver.

Eventually, of course, we'll have no choice & have to go electric, but I'll probably be long gone by then.
    Me too.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,593
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

You are not alone.

Me too.

Electrically operated Pearly Gates - now there's a thing.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

You are not alone.

Me too.

Electrically operated Pearly Gates - now there's a thing.
    It must be said that some of us are heading south, not north, & one assumes a good battery fire would be very welcome down there.

• Options
    One of the things that bugs me about EV fans is that they spout all this nonsense about saving the planet. Well you're only saving the planet if you're charging up your EV from your own solar panels, otherwise your charging it from the grid so isn't environmentally friendly at all.

Also the environmental damage caused by actually making your new EV has to be taken into account, and the likelihood that, in just a few years, your battery will be kaput and need replacing, but we all know that they just grow on trees don't they, no lithium to be mined or any such nonsense.

When you combine that with the utterly boring exterior and interior of your EV (Tesla, I'm looking at you), rest assured I'll stick my ICE cars for the time being.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,154
    Plus Teslas are made by that k nob Elon Musk......that's the deal breaker for me
  • Options
    Just an update on the original topic, which was massive increases in car insurance costs this year....well I've just had my renewal through and it's gone from £995 to £1,125 for the year. Which I'm very happy with. It's a multicar policy with 3 cars and 2 drivers (me and 'Mrs Enut'), we both have umpteen year's protected no claims bonus.
    It's an increase of 13% which seems reasonable especially as we changed one of the cars last year and also added business use to all three, previously it was just on two.