You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Temu.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    edited January 22
    There is a small chance that your bank details, and your personal data, may not be as secure as you would like.

I'm not the sort of person who criticises people for asking questions rather than reading the link. Part of that wiki page says:-

"Six cybersecurity teams interviewed by CNN – including Finnish, Russian, US, and Israeli firms – as well as Chinese cybersecurity firm DarkNavy, all labeled Pinduoduo as malware or potential malware.[28] In a report by Bloomberg News, a researcher from Kaspersky Labs stated the following: "Some versions of the Pinduoduo app contained malicious code, which exploited known Android vulnerabilities to escalate privileges, download and execute additional malicious modules, some of which also gained access to users' notifications and files".
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,180
    Essexphil said:

There is a small chance that your bank details, and your personal data, may not be as secure as you would like.

I'm not the sort of person who criticises people for asking questions rather than reading the link. Part of that wiki page says:-

"Six cybersecurity teams interviewed by CNN – including Finnish, Russian, US, and Israeli firms – as well as Chinese cybersecurity firm DarkNavy, all labeled Pinduoduo as malware or potential malware.[28] In a report by Bloomberg News, a researcher from Kaspersky Labs stated the following: "Some versions of the Pinduoduo app contained malicious code, which exploited known Android vulnerabilities to escalate privileges, download and execute additional malicious modules, some of which also gained access to users' notifications and files".

This just applies to the app?
    I will read the link.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Are they ever as secure as we would like?
  • Options
    Short answer, no.

But some small risks are slightly less small than others.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Short answer, no.

But some small risks are slightly less small than others.

I have read the link.
    It didnt specifically mention bank details.

Colin Huang

Philanthropy
    By June 2020, Huang reduced his Pinduoduo stake to 29.4% by donating 2.37% to a charitable foundation and 7.74% to the Pinduoduo Partnership.[30][31] He also donated 2.37% to an irrevocable charity to promote social responsibility development and scientific research. Huang was named the leading philanthropist on the Hurun China Philanthropy List in 2021 after pledging US$1.85 billion for social responsibility projects and scientific research.[3][32]

According to Bloomberg, Huang and the Pinduoduo founding team have donated 100 million (2.37% of Pinduoduo shares) to the Starry Night Charitable Trust to "support fundamental research in biomedical science, agriculture, and food."[33][34]
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

What is Temu, who owns it, and is it safe to buy from?
    UPDATED DEC 16, 2023
    Wondering why Temu is so cheap, whether it's safe to buy from, and are the products any good? We bought over 30 things from Temu and got the scoop.

Is it safe to buy from Temu?

Yes. Pocket-lint editors have purchased around 30 products from Temu. They all arrived in good condition, on time, and exactly as described in their product listings. In our opinion, Temu is a legitimate platform. It shares many similarities with shopping sites such as Shein, Wish, and AliExpress, but it differentiates itself from the competition by providing an extensive range of inexpensive products beyond fashion and clothing.

It's important to know that the quality and authenticity of products can vary at any online store. How many times have you purchased something on Amazon that arrived damaged or wasn't exactly what you wanted? It's always advisable to thoroughly read customer reviews, check seller ratings, and pay attention to return policies before making a purchase on any website - including Temu.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/what-is-temu-how-does-it-work-is-it-safe/
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    Sheesh, not only am i bombarded on me phone by temu it's on here too, Chinese rubbish
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Sheesh, not only am i bombarded on me phone by temu it's on here too, Chinese rubbish

That sounds like a completely unbiased view.
    What have you bought off them?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 22
    The more I see posted about Temu Temur the more suspicious I am and that's a red flag 🚩 to me.

If something is too good to be true then it probably is.

I think your personal bank details are more important to them than what they are selling.
  • Options
    A quick search on Temu brought me to a Guardian piece.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/06/addictive-absurdly-cheap-and-controversial-the-rise-of-chinas-temu-app

Ive cherrypicked and highlighted a few paragraphs.

• Options
    mumsie said:

The more I see posted about Temur the more suspicious I am and that's a red flag 🚩 to me.

If something is too good to be true then it probably is.

I think your personal bank details are more important to them than what they are selling.

I dont feel it necessary to defend them.
    Although I dont have a biased view.
    I have used their website, and havent downloaded their app.
    I just gave them my card details, rather than my bank details.
    Purchasing with a credit card allows you some protection under the Sale of Goods Act.
    I am not sure if you get the same protection using a debit card.
    @Essexphil will know.
    He made some references earlier to bank details.
    You have to disclose your card details in any online purchase.

I have (touch wood) never felt more confident about the security of my bank account since I downloaded my bank app.
    They notify me of any transaction immediately.
    If my wife is at the cashpoint withdrawing £40, I know straight away.
    They will not authorise any transaction they consider suspicious.

Temu obviously generate an absolutely massive turnover from people that are less suspicious than you.

I am no business expert.
    Although it is easy to see that there are substantial savings to be made on overheads when you are selling online, compared to retail outlets.
    There are further obvious savings when a manufacturer is able to sell direct to the public.
  • Options
    @HAYSIE

Yes, fair comment, you are protected financially.

I took a peep at the app, downloaded it with trepidation.

one of the first things it did was fire a wheel of fortune gadget at me telling me to spin, closing the intrusive window caused it to spin, telling me ide won £200 credit or something.

Uninstalled.

Case closed, for me anyway.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

A quick search on Temu brought me to a Guardian piece.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/06/addictive-absurdly-cheap-and-controversial-the-rise-of-chinas-temu-app

I wouldnt download the app.
  • Options
    edited January 22

I wouldnt download the app.

Here are some bits you didnt highlight.

“They make the whole thing feel like a scam, even though I don’t think it is,” says one Australian shopper.

The scrutiny of Pinduoduo appears to have led Temu to distance itself from it and their shared parent company

Heres another couple of bits from the article.

It has quickly become a market leader, topping app charts in multiple countries, according to online monitors, and has captured more than half the US market share of its closest rival, the fast fashion giant Shein.

and the total value of products sold on the site has gone from US$3m in September 2022, to US$400m in April.

Analysts say it doesn’t appear to collect much more user data than Amazon or eBay,
  • Options
    Things that sound too good to be true are normally exactly that.

The prices are so low on some items that there must be an ulterior motive. However, by far the likeliest is to seek to exert Chinese control over Chinese sellers for worldwide e-commerce.

Followed by trying to replace Amazon as the 3rd Party e-seller of choice.

And at least some of Temu's bad Press is caused by Western Nations seeking to preserve Western control in various markets. Because an awful lot of Western businesses need Far Eastern sweatshops to make money.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Things that sound too good to be true are normally exactly that.

The prices are so low on some items that there must be an ulterior motive. However, by far the likeliest is to seek to exert Chinese control over Chinese sellers for worldwide e-commerce.

Followed by trying to replace Amazon as the 3rd Party e-seller of choice.

And at least some of Temu's bad Press is caused by Western Nations seeking to preserve Western control in various markets. Because an awful lot of Western businesses need Far Eastern sweatshops to make money.

I dont intend re-mortgaging the house and spending a fortune on there.
    Although I could see myself buying a couple of tee shirts, a couple of gadgets, and probably some razors.
    I wont be downloading the app.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573

@HAYSIE

HAYSIE wrote....

"If my wife is at the cashpoint withdrawing £40, I know straight away."

I have SO any questions about that....
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

HAYSIE wrote....

"If my wife is at the cashpoint withdrawing £40, I know straight away."

I have SO any questions about that....

My bank app sends a notification each time there is a withdrawal from the account, or an internet transaction.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573

But Mrs HAYSIE is allowed access to your money?

Dos she have to fill in a form first, or some sort of requisition?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

But Mrs HAYSIE is allowed access to your money?

Dos she have to fill in a form first, or some sort of requisition?

No, but under the current arrangements at least I can text her, and ask her what the f...k she is doing.