You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,184
    Blistering bullsh1t. London maybe screwed but there are many beautiful parts of Britain.

Might have more credence if the author was named Smith, Thomas, McGreggor or Collins.

Ask him what the mountains of Denmark are like. Oops that's right, they don't have any.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    I detest these whiners. If you don't like my country then:-

1. Stand for election, or try and make this country better; or
    2. Go live somewhere else

The UK is like everywhere else, in that it has good bits and bad bits. Things to be cherished, and things that could be better.

Still my country, though. Always will be.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    Not yours it's ours for limited time only.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,152
    edited January 29

Blistering bullsh1t. London maybe screwed but there are many beautiful parts of Britain.

To be fair Mark, you have been on the forum a number of times as a critic of life in Stoke.

Might have more credence if the author was named Smith, Thomas, McGreggor or Collins.

I am not sure what this bit means.
    Are you seriously saying that there are some qualifying criteria, before you are allowed to express an opinion?

JJ Anisiobi
    Showbiz and Entertainment Presenter, TalkTV
    East London
    Arts and Entertainment, United Kingdom
    As seen in: TalkTV, MSN UK, The Mirror UK, Daily Express, Metro (UK), Cynon Valley Leader, Wales on Sunday, Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, Ayrshire Post, Scottish Daily Record, Coventry Live and more
    Got to meet one of my idols today at @JeremyVineOn5. The amazing @Kevin_Maguire

Ask him what the mountains of Denmark are like. Oops that's right, they don't have any.

And are irrelevant.

JJ Anisiøbi is a Metro columnist, broadcaster and journalist.

https://metro.co.uk/author/jj-anisiobi/

• Options
    Essexphil said:

I detest these whiners. If you don't like my country then:-

So what happened to freedom of speech?

1. Stand for election, or try and make this country better; or
    2. Go live somewhere else

I cant see why you would have to.

The UK is like everywhere else, in that it has good bits and bad bits. Things to be cherished, and things that could be better.

I think he was just pointing out that many things are not what they once were.
    And they arent.

Still my country, though. Always will be.

Why wouldnt it be?

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,278
    To a certain extent he has a point and it got me thinking. I would agree that large parts of Britain are screwed, however large parts aren't. The bits that are screwed are the parts with lots of people living in them, the parts that aren't are where the population density is lower or zero.

Denmark's population is less than 6 million, The UK's is more than 11 times that (over 66 million, officially). Denmark's population density is under half the UK's. If you doubled the population of Denmark I dare say it would be as screwed as the UK is.

Most of the most beautiful places in the world don't have many humans messing them up, we have a lot to answer for.

• Options
    I have never been to Copenhagen, and therefore wouldnt have a clue about life there, but I couldnt dispute the following bits of the article.

I live in London, a capital where it seems like almost everything is on the rise. Transport costs, rent, knife crime, shoplifting and anti-social behaviour.

There’s no groups of balaclava clad teens looting high street stores, as we saw during grim scenes in Oxford Street earlier this month, and there’s no sign of empty nitrous oxide canisters strewn across pavements.

And the public transport not only ran on time, but it was incredibly cost-effective too. The city made me feel at complete ease.

At home, on a day-to-day basis, instead of finding ways to help our citizens with the cost-of-living crisis, the Tory government, led by Rishi Sunak, has basically sat with their arms crossed.

As Sunak (and Keir Starmer) back the two-child cap on benefits, in Denmark, family benefits have increased.

With so many of our fellow Brits in poverty, it is no surprise that shoplifting has risen by 24% and police are finding it hard to cope.

It’s not just criminality that makes me think Britain is a dumpster fire – our general way of life has become a daily struggle.

Strike action has been crippling the nation with teachers, university staff, ambulance drivers and nurses all walking out over pay.
    He forgot the junior doctors.

It’s not just me moaning about the state of the country – three quarters of people in Britain agree that our island is becoming a worse place to live, according to a recent Ipsos survey.

The longest NHS waiting list in history has just hit 7.6million, and rising taxes, high inflation and so much else have all contributed to the unmistakable feeling of a country in terminal decline.

As much as I love Britain it is clearly falling apart and the people at the wheel have lost control.

In case you think comparing with Copenhagen is just recency bias on my part, it isn’t the only European city with a progressive way of doing things.

Almost two-thirds of people in Vienna live in social housing – while we are lacking homes here in Blighty.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

I have never been to Copenhagen, and therefore wouldnt have a clue about life there, but I couldnt dispute the following bits of the article.

I live in London, a capital where it seems like almost everything is on the rise. Transport costs, rent, knife crime, shoplifting and anti-social behaviour.

There’s no groups of balaclava clad teens looting high street stores, as we saw during grim scenes in Oxford Street earlier this month, and there’s no sign of empty nitrous oxide canisters strewn across pavements.

And the public transport not only ran on time, but it was incredibly cost-effective too. The city made me feel at complete ease.

At home, on a day-to-day basis, instead of finding ways to help our citizens with the cost-of-living crisis, the Tory government, led by Rishi Sunak, has basically sat with their arms crossed.

As Sunak (and Keir Starmer) back the two-child cap on benefits, in Denmark, family benefits have increased.

With so many of our fellow Brits in poverty, it is no surprise that shoplifting has risen by 24% and police are finding it hard to cope.

It’s not just criminality that makes me think Britain is a dumpster fire – our general way of life has become a daily struggle.

Strike action has been crippling the nation with teachers, university staff, ambulance drivers and nurses all walking out over pay.

It’s not just me moaning about the state of the country – three quarters of people in Britain agree that our island is becoming a worse place to live, according to a recent Ipsos survey.

The longest NHS waiting list in history has just hit 7.6million, and rising taxes, high inflation and so much else have all contributed to the unmistakable feeling of a country in terminal decline.

As much as I love Britain it is clearly falling apart and the people at the wheel have lost control.

In case you think comparing with Copenhagen is just recency bias on my part, it isn’t the only European city with a progressive way of doing things.

Almost two-thirds of people in Vienna live in social housing – while we are lacking homes here in Blighty.

Vienna. Hmm that would be Austria then. A place where foreigners are not allowed to buy either land or property. Let's adopt that in Britain and see how much better it would be.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Vienna. Hmm that would be Austria then. A place where foreigners are not allowed to buy either land or property. Let's adopt that in Britain and see how much better it would be.
    Is that the best you can do Mark.
    You have ignored all the UK stuff, and seized upon a single line about Austria.
    I am sure you are aware that he is making reference to the fact that you probably have a better chance of becoming the next Pope than getting a council house in the UK.
    They are as rare as rocking horse sh1t.
    We spend a fortune putting long term homeless families up in hotel rooms.
    Where they cant cook, and come close to losing the will to live.
    I have always been proud to be Welsh, and British, but as times goes on this is becoming more difficult.

He missed out a lot of stuff.
    Reading the headlines, even over the last few weeks paints a very gloomy picture.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

I just busted out of the main under shocking circumstances.
    So I decided to take 20 minutes to run through the bad news stories, that I have started threads about.
    I went back 6 pages on the forum.
    So from the 29th December, therefore about 1 month.
    Bear in mind that I certainly havent posted every bad news story, and I recently stopped posting about teenagers stabbing each other to death on our streets.
    There are too many of them.

Police and social services were alerted 60 times before Alfie Steele was murdered

Bronson Battersby: The system that allowed a two-year-old to starve to death in plain sight

Why Wasnt He Stopped?

Mental health patients 'raped and sexually assaulted' in NHS care as 'national scandal' revealed

Coroner weeps at opening of inquests into Norfolk stabbing deaths

Mother’s anger after woman who stabbed schoolgirl five times walks free from court

Stabbed.

96 Rochdale Groomers Still Free.

Albanian crime boss allowed to stay in UK after claiming deportation breaches his human rights

Home Office blunder mistakenly allows foreign nationals to live in Britain indefinitely

Another Post Office IT Scandal.

Paula Vennells and other disgraced figures who've lost honours

‘Inhumane’ Home Office denying visas to children of migrant health workers

National Emergency?

Measles Crisis.

To Catch a Copper set to show alleged police brutality, predators and institutional racism.

Cushy Life In Prison.

'I can't stay silent' on knife crime, Idris Elba says

Steel Jobs Bombshell.

Primary school embroiled in Palestine row may be forced to close

Locked In Teachers.

Strikes.

Doctors Strike.

Supreme Court rules the Government's Rwanda policy is UNLAWFUL

More than 30,000 migrants earmarked for deportation have been released on bail

Left To Rot.

Times have never been tougher for us poor Brits

Tory ex-minister 'quit because he could not afford mortgage hike from £800 to £2000 a month'

New Brexit Trade Checks Mean Old Brexiter Promises Have Officially Fallen Flat

Three accidentally cleared over Waterloo stabbing after jury forewoman ‘mistake’

Gunman Deportation Farce.

My partner and I moved to Spain. Now, I'm not allowed to move my kids home.

Michelle Mone Assets Frozen.

Cost of Boris Johnson's boozy Brexit party at Downing Street revealed

Eat turnips instead of tomatoes during shortages, Therese Coffey suggests

Foreign Students.

Elderly driver killed two women after ignoring his poor eyesight

'Embarrassing': Senior Tory MP red-faced after 'excruciating' Rwanda gaffe

Woman is fined £400 for putting CARDBOARD in a bin, a man gets £1k penalty for using the wrong bags.

Council raises tax by maximum after comedian gets £500k to run Facebook Covid page

Southern Water ‘considering bill rises of 73%’

Big Squeeze.

UK Food Prices

Disqualified driver caught behind the wheel 20 times in 4 years
  • Options
    My only point is this and I make no apology for saying it.

If you are a 2nd 3rd or even 4th generation person whose family came to Britain for either safety or a better life and you find that it is now unbearable and you wish to compare it to your "homeland". Then feel free to take advantage of a our free society and fk off back to your "better" place.

Had that been penned by any of the stereotypical English, Welsh, Scottish or N Irish surnames then fair enough. I can **** Britain off, England off, Stoke off, that's my right but to have a 3rd gen Dane ridicule it by comparison to an overpriced, over rated and exclusive Danish Capital is frankly taking the p1ss.

• Options

If you are a 2nd 3rd or even 4th generation person whose family came to Britain for either safety or a better life and you find that it is now unbearable and you wish to compare it to your "homeland". Then feel free to take advantage of a our free society and fk off back to your "better" place.

Had that been penned by any of the stereotypical English, Welsh, Scottish or N Irish surnames then fair enough. I can **** Britain off, England off, Stoke off, that's my right but to have a 3rd gen Dane ridicule it by comparison to an overpriced, over rated and exclusive Danish Capital is frankly taking the p1ss.

No need to apologise.
    I may not agree with some of your views, but I do respect your right to voice them.
    I had a completely different take on the article.
    During my working life, I have worked all over the UK, including Stoke, as well as Spain Portugal and the Canaries.
    Moving from one place to another sometimes helps to appreciate how good or bad the previous place was.
    Whereas it is sometimes less noticeable when you are stuck in the same place long term.
    I therefore thought he was saying that his visit to Copenhagen, made the pitfalls of life in the UK today, more pronounced.

I dont believe that you should have to produce a family tree before you are qualified to criticise the UK in any way.
    As I said earlier I have been proud to be Welsh, and British, my whole life.
    I was born in Wales, as was my Father, and his Father, although my Great Grandfather was born in Ireland.
    My Mother was born in Swansea, as was her Mother, but her Father who was a professional footballer, was born in Germany.
    So under those circumstances I am not sure if this qualifies me to criticise the UK at all, in your eyes.

I dont plan on doing a list, but the difficulties we are currently having are as plain as the nose on your face.
    No matter who voices them.
    Having some restrictions on who is allowed to voice their opinions, will not improve anything at all.

I recall an incident that occurred 40 plus years ago.
    I was in my mid twenties, and had just become a Sales Manager.
    I was interviewing for staff.
    The first interview was with a chap that looked Indian.
    The name on his completed application form seemed to confirm this.
    One of the first questions I asked in the warm up bit, at the start of the interview was,
    Where are you from?
    He replied Birmingham.
    So I followed up with,
    Ok where are your family from?
    He replied Birmingham.
    He went on to explain that his Mother, and Father were both born in Birmingham, as he was.
    This made me realise that even though some people may look different from me, they were just as British as I was, had the same rights as me, and an expectation of being treated as I was.
    I took him on, and this was something I never forgot.

If nobody criticised anything, I dont suppose we would see many improvements.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    Enut said:

To a certain extent he has a point and it got me thinking. I would agree that large parts of Britain are screwed, however large parts aren't. The bits that are screwed are the parts with lots of people living in them, the parts that aren't are where the population density is lower or zero.

Denmark's population is less than 6 million, The UK's is more than 11 times that (over 66 million, officially). Denmark's population density is under half the UK's. If you doubled the population of Denmark I dare say it would be as screwed as the UK is.

Most of the most beautiful places in the world don't have many humans messing them up, we have a lot to answer for.

Just wanted to add to this comment.

People compare Denmark to the UK as a whole in relation to population density. When it is possible to use a far more accurate comparison. Just by comparing Denmark to the rest of the UK excluding England.

Denmark has a population density that is about the same as Wales. And far higher than Scotland or Northern Ireland. It is roughly half the size of Scotland. Yet with a higher population.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Enut said:

Just wanted to add to this comment.

People compare Denmark to the UK as a whole in relation to population density. When it is possible to use a far more accurate comparison. Just by comparing Denmark to the rest of the UK excluding England.

Denmark has a population density that is about the same as Wales. And far higher than Scotland or Northern Ireland. It is roughly half the size of Scotland. Yet with a higher population.
    I dont think that there is a need to compare the UK with any other country.
    I think that the UK today is a very different place when compared to the UK I grew up in.
    The incompetence of successive Governments, has not improved anything very much.
  • Options
    That's absolutely how it should be.
    HAYSIE said:

No need to apologise.
    I may not agree with some of your views, but I do respect your right to voice them.
    During my working life, I have worked all over the UK, including Stoke, as well as Spain Portugal and the Canaries.
    Moving from one place to another sometimes helps to appreciate how good or bad the previous place was.
    Whereas it is sometimes less noticeable when you are stuck in the same place long term.
    I therefore thought he was saying that his visit to Copenhagen, made the pitfalls of life in the UK today, more pronounced.

I dont believe that you should have to produce a family tree before you are qualified to criticise the UK in any way.
    I was born in Wales, as was my Father, and his Father, although my Great Grandfather was born in Ireland.
    My Mother was born in Swansea, as was her Mother, but her Father who was a professional footballer, was born in Germany.
    So under those circumstances I am not sure if this qualifies me to criticise the UK at all, in your eyes.

I dont plan on doing a list, but the difficulties we are currently having are as plain as the nose on your face.
    Having some restrictions on who is allowed to voice their opinions, will not improve anything at all.

One of the first questions I asked in the warm up bit, at the start of the interview was,
    Where are you from?
    He replied Birmingham.
    So I followed up with,
    He replied Birmingham.
    He went on to explain that his Mother, and Father were both born in Birmingham, as he was.
    This made me realise that even though some people may look different from me, they were just as British as I was, had the same rights as me, and an expectation of being treated as I was.

Hey, that's absolutely how it should be. However, I have a question.

If later at some point he began denigrating Birmingham or wherever at the expense of say Mumbai or Kolkata or Deli. Would you not be asking why he was still in England if those other places, his cultural and spiritual homeland, were so much better.
  • Options

That's absolutely how it should be.

HAYSIE said:

No need to apologise.

Where are you from?
    He replied Birmingham.
    So I followed up with,
    He replied Birmingham.

Hey, that's absolutely how it should be. However, I have a question.

If later at some point he began denigrating Birmingham or wherever at the expense of say Mumbai or Kolkata or Deli. Would you not be asking why he was still in England if those other places, his cultural and spiritual homeland, were so much better.
    That is a good question.
    Although I think that it is unlikely to occur.
    The first stop for many racists, is to suggest that people that look different should go back home.
    This is quite comical because they might already be at home in Britain.

I think that people are prepared to whinge, and moan about all sorts of things.
    However I would show sympathy in respect about moans regarding genuine difficulties.
    So if I was having a pint with some that was pointing out that they were finding it difficult to pay their mortgage, struggling with their heating bills, waited for hours in A&E, or was fed up of the delay in getting NHS treatment, etc, etc, etc, I would empathise wherever they were originated from.

I dont think that you can overlook the fact that many of the immigrants that have been here for many years, came at our request.
    They came to fill jobs, many of them menial jobs that the Brits didnt want to fill.
    I can remember the days when hotels, and guest houses, openly displayed signs that said, No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs.
    At least we have moved forward since then.
    Well most of us have.
  • Options

Would you actually disagree with any of the below?

• Options
    I would not argue against any of that. The problem is that in order to radically change something people have to be prepared to sacrifice. I'm not talking about laying down ones life or such but a personal sacrifice.

Allow me to give you an example. The Government could be brought to its knees within a week if nobody bought petrol / diesel, nobody bought alcohol / tobacco and everybody stopped in, didn't work from home and just said fk it.

Yes that would have a massive crippling effect on people but it would bring about a total change in the way that the needs of the Country were addressed because the Government suddenly gets to know where the real power lies.

The problem with Britain is everybody wants somebody else to sacrifice as long as it doesn't impact them. The powers that be know this, which is why they treat the electorate with utter contempt.

• Options

I would not argue against any of that. The problem is that in order to radically change something people have to be prepared to sacrifice. I'm not talking about laying down ones life or such but a personal sacrifice.

Allow me to give you an example. The Government could be brought to its knees within a week if nobody bought petrol / diesel, nobody bought alcohol / tobacco and everybody stopped in, didn't work from home and just said fk it.

Yes that would have a massive crippling effect on people but it would bring about a total change in the way that the needs of the Country were addressed because the Government suddenly gets to know where the real power lies.

The problem with Britain is everybody wants somebody else to sacrifice as long as it doesn't impact them. The powers that be know this, which is why they treat the electorate with utter contempt.

I must admit, I was thinking more about getting properly organised.
    I think that the majority of voters would be prepared to go through some short term, or even medium term pain, if there was a solution in sight.
    There has to be some light at the end of the tunnel.
    This Government doesnt seem to have any solutions, and is prone to making stuff worse.
    I am not sure that Labour has the answers.
    Or that any thing much can be fixed in the short term.
    I will give you a couple of examples,
    Our legal system is on its knees, yet Sunak suggested the other day that he would take 150 judges out, to ensure that the Rwanda plan gets up and running.
    When are energy bills likely to be affordable.
    Mortgages?
    Do you think they will ever be able to find the 30,000 asylum seekers that they bailed the other day.
    The guy that was responsible for the Nottingham stabbings, shouldnt have been out on the street.
    When is anyone going to do something about mental health.
    When will we have to wait for days in A&E.
    When will the NHS waiting list be measured in thousands, rather than millions.
    Leaving the EU, and controlling our borders, worked a treat didnt it?
    Why are the Rochdale Groomers still free?
    How on earth was the Post Office Scandal allowed to occur?
    Why has it gone on for so long?
    You could ask the same questions about the contaminated blood scandal.
    The WASPI women.
    Where have all the NHS dentists gone?
    Trains.
    Knife crime.
    HS2.
    When will Universities prioritise UK students, not foreign ones.
    I could go on and on.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    But apart from all that Easter is coming. hic!