You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

It took a trip abroad for me to realise how screwed Britain is

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,618
    edited February 6
    You may think "Britain is screwed" but there are scores of countries & their populations suffering genuine hardship. e.g., Ukraine, North Korea, ridic inflation in Argentina, large swathes of the sub-continent where poverty - REAL poverty - exists, not to mention what residents Gaza are enduring on a daily basis.

Compared to all of those Britain is in great nick. And yet folks moan about the cost-of-living & Immigration. (And poker beats, lol).

And there are natural disasters all over the world, but in Britain, it's a national disaster when we see news items of flooding & firemen wading in ankle deep water "rescuing" old people...

What was it Harold Macmillan famously said? It still rings true today.

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,214
    Tikay10 said:

You may think "Britain is screwed" but there are scores of countries & their populations suffering genuine hardship. e.g., Ukraine, North Korea, ridic inflation in Argentina, large swathes of the sub-continent where poverty - REAL poverty - exists, not to mention what residents Gaza are enduring on a daily basis.

Compared to all of those Britain is in great nick. And yet folks moan about the cost-of-living & Immigration. (And poker beats, lol).

And there are natural disasters all over the world, but in Britain, it's a national disaster when we see news items of flooding & firemen wading in ankle deep water "rescuing" old people...

Isnt that a two wrongs dont make a right argument?
    Just because it may be worse elsewhere, it doesnt make the UK any better.
    I would argue that we have gone downhill since I was a youngster.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028
    People always say things were better when they were young. Have for thousands of years. And it is just not true-people only concentrate on the negatives. And ignore the positives.

I vividly recall the mantra in London when I was growing up. About the fact that you used to be able to leave your doors unlocked in the East End. Forgetting that, if that were true, it was mainly due to the largest protection racket in UK history. I'm not sure how many people want a return to the Krays.

Take some time to ignore the negatives. Celebrate the positives. Enjoy life. Because if anyone spends too much time on the negatives, then they risk missing out on the many things genuinely worth appreciating.

My glass is 3/4 full. Not 1/4 empty
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,618
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Isnt that a two wrongs dont make a right argument?
    Just because it may be worse elsewhere, it doesnt make the UK any better.
    I would argue that we have gone downhill since I was a youngster.

Not really, I think we've just become a moany, entitled society.

Life is great here compared to most if not all of the world.

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    Essexphil said:

People always say things were better when they were young. Have for thousands of years. And it is just not true-people only concentrate on the negatives. And ignore the positives.

I vividly recall the mantra in London when I was growing up. About the fact that you used to be able to leave your doors unlocked in the East End. Forgetting that, if that were true, it was mainly due to the largest protection racket in UK history. I'm not sure how many people want a return to the Krays.

Take some time to ignore the negatives. Celebrate the positives. Enjoy life. Because if anyone spends too much time on the negatives, then they risk missing out on the many things genuinely worth appreciating.

My glass is 3/4 full. Not 1/4 empty

Phil, your glass is normally empty...quickly and often!💩
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,214
    I cant be ar5ed to argue over this.
    Or to compile another list of all the stuff that is going wrong.
    We have a Tory Government that has been in power for almost 14 years.
    They are currently breaking records in the unpopularity stakes.
    So the majority of the country must be wrong, or their glasses must be empty.
    Alternatively, they are struggling to pay their mortgages, heating bills, etc, and resent the fact that we have the highest rates of tax for 70 years.
    I feel quite fortunate as I remain relatively unaffected by this.
    That doesnt mean that I think it should be ignored.
    I have spent most of my working life in sales.
    This is impossible unless your glass is overflowing.
    I couldnt confirm what people have been saying for thousands of years as I am not telepathic, have never communicated with the dead, and have no memory of any previous lives that I may have lived.