You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Temu.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,894
    mumsie said:

lucy4 said:

I needed a new set of hair clippers and had been searching on line,low and behold Temu suddenly starts to appear in my feeds advertising hair clippers. I thought I'd give them a try as they were offering a set of clippers for £1:79 for new users. I registered with them and put the item in my 'basket' and went to checkout. It then stated I had to order a minimum of £15 to complete the order, so was left with the choice of either buying another £13 worth of things that I didn't need or cancelling the order, I think you can tell which option I chose. Cancelling my account/card details took a while but eventually happened but no doubt some where my details are still held on their site.

I did something similar, I saw something I wanted, downloaded the app, then it insisted I get another 10 things to qualify, I kept choosing bits of tat that I convinced myself I needed, 20 minutes later, when it dawned on me that it was hoovering up my time, I cancelled my transactions, but kept the app. or rather forgot to uninstall it.

For the next couple of days, my mobile would ring, I answer and the line would go dead.

Eventually, I stopped answering unknown numbers, which brings me to yesterday, It rings again, I answer, its a recorded message asking me to pay $700 dollars to amazon to unlock a poxy IPhone deal.

I hung up, and it dawned on me, all this **** started happening after I downloaded the Temu App.

I uninstalled it, went to my emails and listed Temu as SPAM and blocked them.

It may all be coincidence and nothing to do with Temu, bit its seems to have stopped for now.

If I was looking to fill up an order, I would probably get a few razor blades, maybe some socks.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

My wife threatened me with a trip to Dunelm, to find some bathroom mats.
    I thought I would have to find some online to avoid this.
    I had ordered some from Amazon a couple of months ago, but they disintegrated after a couple of washes.
    I was surprised at this, as I have never had any problems with any of my previous orders.
    I couldnt be ar5ed to send them back.

So I looked in the usual places, and couldnt find any that were suitable.
    I ended up on the Temu UK site.
    I had not been on there before.
    Found suitable mats, and ordered 2 sets.

The order came to £23.
    They were quoting 2 weeks for delivery, which surprised me, but it was free, and got me out of a trip to Dunelm, so I didnt really care.
    They promised a fiver credit, if they delivered them late.

Over the coming days I got the following updates which explained why.

Your local courier will deliver your parcel between 09:30 and 11:30 today
    January 19, 2024, 9:49 am
    The customer has requested that this parcel be diverted to their garage
    January 19, 2024, 9:14 am
    Your parcel is on its way to you today
    January 19, 2024, 8:56 am
    Manifested for Delivery
    January 19, 2024, 7:52 am
    Your parcel is at the delivery depot and we'll let you know when it's out for delivery
    January 19, 2024, 7:19 am
    We're processing your parcel at our hub
    January 18, 2024, 12:30 am
    We're processing your parcel at our hub
    January 18, 2024, 12:29 am
    Hub infeed scan
    January 18, 2024, 12:27 am
    Package arrived at airport
    January 17, 2024, 10:59 am
    Customs clearance completed
    January 17, 2024, 9:39 am
    Flight departure
    January 16, 2024, 10:07 pm
    Package arrived at airport, awaiting flight
    January 16, 2024, 7:50 am
    Order Shipped
    January 13, 2024, 8:11 am
    Awaiting Shipment
    January 13, 2024, 7:14 am
    Order is being packed
    January 12, 2024, 10:48 pm
    Order Paid Successfully
    January 12, 2024, 11:13 am
    Order Submitted
    January 12, 2024, 11:13 am

So they actually arrived in one week.

Whilst on the site I noticed the below.
    I checked them out in Morrisons, and they cost £48 (£24 for 8).

16pcs Razor Blades Compatible With Men's 5 Layer Facial Care Shaver Cassettes Shaving Blades

94K+ sold

£7.98

These seem good value.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,183
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I needed a new set of hair clippers and had been searching on line,low and behold Temu suddenly starts to appear in my feeds advertising hair clippers. I thought I'd give them a try as they were offering a set of clippers for £1:79 for new users. I registered with them and put the item in my 'basket' and went to checkout. It then stated I had to order a minimum of £15 to complete the order, so was left with the choice of either buying another £13 worth of things that I didn't need or cancelling the order, I think you can tell which option I chose. Cancelling my account/card details took a while but eventually happened but no doubt some where my details are still held on their site.

A free delivery from China of less than 2 quids worth of stuff is probably pushing it a bit.
    They were the ones who advertised it as a 'bargain' I didn't go looking for them they contacted me via various platforms but failed to quote the 'conditions' before I signed up.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

A free delivery from China of less than 2 quids worth of stuff is probably pushing it a bit.
    They were the ones who advertised it as a 'bargain' I didn't go looking for them they contacted me via various platforms but failed to quote the 'conditions' before I signed up.
    Let them have it then.
  • Options
    I didn't want bath mats,razors,socks or anything else. Temu advertised the price with no suggestion of 'terms' before signing up. No doubt the 1980's double glazing & time share sales people would approve of these tactics.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

I didn't want bath mats,razors,socks or anything else. Temu advertised the price with no suggestion of 'terms' before signing up. No doubt the 1980's double glazing & time share sales people would approve of these tactics.

You dont know me, so dont be casting aspersions.

I suppose that the average company assumes that their potential customers possess a modicum of common sense.
    Although this was sadly lacking in your case.

I have this morning seen a Sainsburys ad for 300g of pineapple on my news feed.
    You have to click on the ad to find out the price, which was £2.35.
    What the ad doesnt tell you is that the next available decent delivery time will cost you £5.
    Or that you will need to spend £40 to get a delivery.

On seeing this ad I didnt think for a minute that there was any chance that they would deliver it on its own free of charge.
    Nor did I think that Sainsburys were being particularly slippery, by not including these details in the ad.

Common sense.

I dont think that many people on seeing an ad for say a tin of beans, will think that their local supermarket will deliver it on its own, free of charge, even though this will not be made clear in the ad.

They rely on common sense.

Sainsburys is less than 5 miles from my home.
    China is not.

How many people would seriously think that they could get a delivery of a product that cost less than £2 from China free of charge?
    A £15 order to qualify for a free delivery seems quite reasonable.

When I shop with someone new, online, the first things I usually look for are the delivery charges, and the amount you need to order to get a delivery.

Common sense.

Amazon dont make their delivery charges clear on every item they advertise on the internet.
    This may be because the ads would have to be massive.

Deliveries in the UK

FREE Standard Delivery Note: The following delivery costs are for orders fulfilled by Amazon.
    One-Day Delivery and Premium Delivery Media costs £3.99 per delivery.
    Priority Delivery Priority Delivery costs £0.99.
    Same-Day & Overnight Delivery
    Scheduled Delivery for Large Items
    Four-Hour Delivery Window for Large Items
    Amazon Pickup Locations
    Deliveries in the UK - Amazon Customer Service
    www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html%3FnodeId%3DGR4836Q7YLZ8M5QK
    www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html%3FnodeId%3DGR4836Q7YL

Free Standard Delivery:
    If you’re ordering eligible items for delivery within the UK or Republic of Ireland, you can qualify for FREE Standard Delivery.
    For orders including £10 or more of eligible books that Amazon dispatches, you’ll get free standard delivery.
    Additionally, all orders of £25 or more of eligible items across any product category also qualify for FREE Standard Delivery.
    To order with FREE Standard Delivery:
    Add at least £10 of books dispatched by Amazon, or at least £25 of all other eligible items dispatched by Amazon to your Shopping Basket.
    Any item with the “FREE Delivery” message on the product detail page is eligible and will contribute to your free delivery order minimum.
    Note that items sold and fulfilled by Marketplace sellers don’t contribute to your free delivery order minimum.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,314
    HAYSIE said:

1pc Oversized Waterproof Beach Blanket For 4-7 Adults - Lightweight & Sandproof Picnic Mat For Travel, Camping, Hiking - Enjoy Comfortable Outdoor Activities

(93K+ sold)
    #1 Best Sellerin Camping & Hiking
    £4.58
    -78%RRP£21.34

I had to do a double take.....I thought the model had the hairiest legs I'd ever seen on a woman?😳
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,539
    edited May 10
    Temu might be the greatest site ever, EDIT: apart from sky of course. I've bought A LOT of stuff on there and it was all super cheap and did exactly what it said it would do.
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 289
    First order today - will update once receive items o:)
  • Options
    edited May 10
    It's not as if they're pushing the 'Free Delivery' offer to new customers is it !

Especially for me limited time.

Time related checkout.

Quick you've only got a limited time to qualify for 'Free Shipping'

It's good to feel so special.

"I suppose that the average company assumes that their potential customers possess a modicum of common sense.
    Although this was sadly lacking in your case."

Thankfully the little common sense that I do possess has stopped me from using this company, if they're deceitful on the basics then I don't trust them on the major things also I've not even mentioned Pineapples or Beans.

I'm not doubting it may be a good company but their enticing offers of 'Free Delivery' for new customers are misleading.

Hence the 1980's reference which obviously hit a nerve for some reason...
  • Options
    Proper upfront advertising with no 1980's spiel...

• Options
    Yet more no nonsense false advertising it tells it upfront so people know.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,465
    @lucy4 absolutely right.

Temu are using Bait and switch .

Its generally illegal because it's considered deceptive and unfair to consumers. Laws vary by country and region, but many have consumer protection regulations in place to prevent such practices.

In England and Wales, bait and switch is banned under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008; breaking this law can result in a criminal prosecution, an unlimited fine and two years in jail.

Source Wiki
  • Options
    It seems the Wine industry aren't using 1980's tactics or are they just decent companies who don't try to mislead new customers.

• Options
    lucy4 said:

It's not as if they're pushing the 'Free Delivery' offer to new customers is it !

Especially for me limited time.

Time related checkout.

Quick you've only got a limited time to qualify for 'Free Shipping'

It's good to feel so special.

"I suppose that the average company assumes that their potential customers possess a modicum of common sense.
    Although this was sadly lacking in your case."

Thankfully the little common sense that I do possess has stopped me from using this company, if they're deceitful on the basics then I don't trust them on the major things also I've not even mentioned Pineapples or Beans.

I'm not doubting it may be a good company but their enticing offers of 'Free Delivery' for new customers are misleading.

Hence the 1980's reference which obviously hit a nerve for some reason...

I dont have an interest on whether you deal with Temu or not.
    Your 1980s reference didnt bother me either.
    Questioning my honesty, certainly did.

Just to be clear, I didnt approve of dishonest advertising in the 1980s, nor do I today.

No doubt the 1980's double glazing & time share sales people would approve of these tactics.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,021
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:
    Busy arent they?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:
    This is Ocado.
    Looks quite similar?
    Well maybe not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKrcpa8Z_E
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,383
    Missus buys absolutely loads of stuff off Temu about 1 item in 10 isn't fit for purpose but always refunded and told to keep the item.

Item longevity is sometimes suspect but at the price you pay stuff is replaceable.

Stuff that needs good technical specifications I avoid. The rest is okay, just don't expect high end quality and you're fine.