You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What's the best play here?

luvBWFCluvBWFC Member Posts: 763
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
This is a common situation that I feel is a leak for me. What would you do in the below case? You have a fairly trashy hand in the BB, one min raiser action to you. Do you just wave bye bye to teh chips and fold, or do you call with your 3.5 - 1 pot odds? Would you even raise?

Hand History #256470519 (21:27 05/05/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Flat_Tire Small blind  300.00 300.00 6097.50
luvBWFC Big blind  600.00 900.00 18587.50
  Your hole cards

kartboy70 Fold     
MRSCR7 Raise  1200.00 2100.00 8842.50
pas40 Fold     
farkstar Fold     
Flat_Tire Fold    

Comments

• Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    Need to know chip stacks here. But generally just fold.
  • Options
    35suited35suited Member Posts: 2,332
    edited May 2010
    luv 18.5k
    mrscr 8.8k
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    Cheers 35, just figured it out you click and drag to left, I like it better when you can just use your eyes to look.

Anyway still just fold the awful hand.
  • Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited May 2010
    It's something I struggle with too! I personally call in this situation as I'm deep stacked and can hit some nice flops but I'm treading carefully if hit top pair etc! Fold is also acceptable to avoid getting yourself in situation like top pair where you feel inclined to continue despite better judgement but I think there's some scope for raising if you're really looking to dominate table - min raise is either cheap attempt at stealing/marginal hand or massive hand so come over the top with good raise (you're deep enough to make moves like this) and see how much opponent likes their hand! Obviously safest option would be fold but always tempting when getting nice odds and already invested big blind - in these spots, I always talk good game and think yeah raise raise raise but when it's actually my chips, I tend to be conservative, go into my shell and see the flop!
  • Options
    Donut64Donut64 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited May 2010
    If Im playing it against some one as been playing tight I fold. If Im playing against some one who can fold after flop I call then raise after flop to see if they have anything. If they do a min raise every time pre-flop I re-raise and if they call I then raise again after flop to see if they called to save face! If I get lucky and hit the flop hard I still make the same moves after the flop as I would do with nothing! So in short the best play is the reading of your opponent!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It appears I am much like Action_Dan
    luvBWFC Call  600.00 2700.00 17987.50
    Flop

OK I almost certainly should have folded pre-flop. But given that I didn't, what would you do now?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If i had not had a read on them and played they way I said now I would check and Re-raise any small continuation bet to see were I was!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the best play here?:
    It appears I am much like Action_Dan luvBWFC Call   600.00 2700.00 17987.50 Flop     4 4 8     OK I almost certainly should have folded pre-flop. But given that I didn't, what would you do now?
    Posted by luvBWFC
    I'd much rather see something like K 7 9 flop than that but now we're in this position, we need to think about opponents previous - how does he react to "donk bet"? Will he come back over the top with AK/AQ type hands or will he give up? It sums up perfectly how for extra 600 chips, we can get ourselves into horrible situations :( check call/check raise/bet fold/bet & call all in - every option is as uncomfortable as walking in on Tikay "moisturising"...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If i had not had a read on them and played they way I said now I would check and Re-raise any small continuation bet to see were I was!
    Posted by Donut64
    Would this commit us to calling their re-shove? They've got 8k so any decent re-raise from us would mean it'd be about another 4k to call their shove so can't fold for that surely? The more I think about this, the more we should've folded :( great thread this!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the best play here? : Would this commit us to calling their re-shove? They've got 8k so any decent re-raise from us would mean it'd be about another 4k to call their shove so can't fold for that surely? The more I think about this, the more we should've folded :( great thread this!
    Posted by Action_Dan
     I can see were you are coming from but I feel I can still get away if he re-raises me but their is nothing to say they will! If they do in reality Im putting them on a A8,A4 a over pair  or a flush draw!
  • Options
    lynx3ffectlynx3ffect Member Posts: 452
    edited May 2010
    This is all about stack sizes and whether he has fold equity
    Villain starts with 15bb, after you call the pot will be 4.5 so any c-bet he is near pot committed - your hand doesnt flop well at all OOP, even top pair you arent in love with but will have to stack off with against his size stack
    In this situation I fold pre unless i have reads he does this with suited conns and might fold to a re-raise but i htink thats unlikely
    As played, you hit tp so i bet out and shut down if i get action
    Its a massive leak calling off with these kinda hands OOP, similar stack sizes you could argue its worth it but i'd prefer raising to get control of hte pot and any dry K high type boards im firing 2 barrels at least to get him folding out PPs
    Im not a tourney player at all but generally speaking call off light OOP isnt a good idea
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I fully agree I should have folded pre. But we are where we are I decided to bet,
    luvBWFC Bet  2025.00 4725.00 15962.50
    MRSCR7 Call  2025.00 6750.00 6817.50
    Turn

• J

Forstly was my bet the right kind of size? Secondly given the call and the turn, what next?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I fully agree I should have folded pre. But we are where we are I decided to bet, luvBWFC Bet   2025.00 4725.00 15962.50 MRSCR7 Call   2025.00 6750.00 6817.50 Turn     J     Forstly was my bet the right kind of size? Secondly given the call and the turn, what next?
    Posted by luvBWFC
    That's confusing as most pairs better than 8 should shove that flop so it looks like someone not wanting to let go of their over cards - SHOVE! Ok that's the aggressive approach but the reserved Action_Dan would probably check in hope of getting to showdown - our situation isn't getting any better and with 6k pot and them having 6k behind, we can't bet fold so it's all or nothing...let go and keep our 16k stack intact with only 3k damage or shove the lot in and hope for fold?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Imo If he is coming in in that positoin in a tounement he has possibly a pocket pair, suited connecters, 2 large cards or any ace. He min raises to see were he is hoping only the big blind comes along and if he misses he puts a small bet in to hopefully to take the pot down if that doesnt work I feel they intend to put it down! If they put a big continuation bet they are commited and I fold and I lose a small percentage of my stack. Thatswhy I feel it is right to check/raise or fold!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I decided that if I make any reasonable bet here and he reraises I would have to call anyway, so I go ahead and put him all in hoping to see AK/AQ etc
    luvBWFC Bet  6750.00 13500.00 9212.50
    MRSCR7 All-in  6817.50 20317.50 0.00
    luvBWFC Call  67.50 20385.00 9145.00
    luvBWFC Show

MRSCR7 Show
    • Q
    • Q

River

MRSCR7 Win Two Pairs, Queens and 4s 20385.00  20385.00
    and that is how a call of 600 for 3.5-1 pot odds cost me 10k. The minimum I want to take from thsi is an understanding of all my mistakes so that I can learn something!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I fully agree I should have folded pre. But we are where we are I decided to bet, luvBWFC Bet   2025.00 4725.00 15962.50 MRSCR7 Call   2025.00 6750.00 6817.50 Turn     J     Forstly was my bet the right kind of size? Secondly given the call and the turn, what next?
    Posted by luvBWFC
    I dont like this now I am confused the only hand I would of called with there is 84 If I was looking for the flush I would have jammed in is positoin also if I had any big pair or A8 or the 4 to make you pay if you had been looking for the flush! My only thought is now he may have pocket 5s,6s or 7s and hoping for a miracle!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It so difficult to say what would have happend if you had checked the flop would they have min raised or pushed harder, I dont know? If they had pushed harder you could have got away! If they had min raised and you re-raised Would they have called or re-re-raised. If they called I wouldnt have been putting in another penny unless my hand improved If they re-re-raised Im out of there!
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    Fold preflop
    Check call the flop
    After you donk bet the flop it's just a world of problems so I can't really say what I would do after that...

Argh it all hinges on the call preflop... everything after that is so difficult... please just fold preflop next time lol.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited May 2010
    Always a spot I hate finding myself in but it's not often I'll call unless the blinds are smaller.

One thing I've often wondered though, is there ever a point (pot odds wise) where you call a pre-flop raise regardless of your cards? So many times I find myself in the blinds & someone's put in a min raise which is called by everyone so by the time it gets round to me I'm getting like 10/1 or 11/1 on my money.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    Shove or fold pre depending on the player type and tournie standings.