You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Thoughts Please

tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Thoughts on this hand in the £2 deep stack last night
I'm 18/25 with 20 paid,blinds 300-600 ( as far as I can remember) I have 23k chips in cut off
Utg shoves 20k folded to me, there are 2 players in the blinds that cover me, I have QQ
What's your play and why please.

Comments

• Options
    mattprawnmattprawn Member Posts: 632
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom

I'm going to have first go at this, before I'm influenced by better players posts.

You need to be winning / or at least FT MTT's to be profitable long term.  Min cashes just postpone the inevitable.

So, I want to win this and am shoving most times,  Looking through my fingers as I see his cards, but shoving nonetheless.

Only caveat to this is player read.  Without any knowledge I'd see a shove UTG as a hand that doesn't really want calling, but could live with it.  Small to medium pairs or AK/AQ/AJ/A10.  Happy to have a race against any of these.  Only two hands that I wouldn't call face up (AA /KK) so happy to take the race.

Best

Matt
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited January 2017
    Snap rejam, I'd be very surprised to see someone open shove so many BBs with KK+ (although it will happen occasionally) so yeah just an easy rejam and either win a flip v AK or hold against a hand we crush 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Thoughts Please:
    Hi Tom I'm going to have first go at this, before I'm influenced by better players posts. You need to be winning / or at least FT MTT's to be profitable long term.  Min cashes just postpone the inevitable. So, I want to win this and am shoving most times,  Looking through my fingers as I see his cards, but shoving nonetheless. Only caveat to this is player read.  Without any knowledge I'd see a shove UTG as a hand that doesn't really want calling, but could live with it.  Small to medium pairs or AK/AQ/AJ/A10.  Happy to have a race against any of these.  Only two hands that I would call face up (AA /KK) so happy to take the race. Best Matt
    Posted by mattprawn
    Thanks Matt
    I will keep you on tenterhooks for a day or so - see if anyone else has any thoughts on this
    Appreciate the reasoned answer.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Snap rejam, I'd be very surprised to see someone open shove so many BBs with KK+ (although it will happen occasionally) so yeah just an easy rejam and either win a flip v AK or hold against a hand we crush 
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Paul, appreciate you taking the time to post..
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited January 2017
    What Lambert said

Never ever thought I would say that
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Thanks chaps
    As Matt pointed out making FT is pretty much the goal rather than min cash after playing 3/4 hours.
    I didn't take long in my decision to jam
    Oppo had AJ
    A on the flop sealed my fate, shoved the rest of my chips in with 10's next hand, same bloke called with K rag, K flop and out we go, thems the breaks :)
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,350
    edited January 2017
    bad beat story?
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited January 2017
    I am always going with this, just an unlucky run out.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    bad beat story?
    Posted by mumsie
    Haha, nope - A I am happy to take a flip with a decent hand story :)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I am always going with this, just an unlucky run out.
    Posted by MattBates
    So what you are saying is - I played it exactly the same as you would have :) could my weekend get any better.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Thoughts Please : So what you are saying is - I played it exactly the same as you would have :) could my weekend get any better.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Played the same????   You really think I wouldn't of won that hand?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Thoughts Please : Played the same????   You really think I wouldn't of won that hand?
    Posted by MattBates
    Ha, that would never be in doubt :)
    Have not of ;)