You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

UKOPS hand 1 - JJ

2»

Comments

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: UKOPS hand 1 - JJ:
    Thoughts on the rest of the table Marky..? :P
    Posted by Angmar2626
    Ha yeah, I think you were sitting on villain's left? Haven't played you much but I remember you were playing very well :)
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: UKOPS hand 1 - JJ : Ha yeah, I think you were sitting on villain's left? Haven't played you much but I remember you were playing very well :)
    Posted by markycash

Booo... that's awfully polite - more aggressive heckling needed!

By the way, I agree with you wrt not taking flips when we have an edge. Wasn't this the £5.5? In the high roller I'd probably snap this, but definitely think it needs more thought in this game. For example, this eve I'm having a little poker night with some friends who don't really know how to play but are under the illusion that I'm good (anyone who plays a bit online must be good right..?) and so really want to beat me for bragging rights. Taking flips in this game would be a disaster. Extreme example I know, but you see the point - where do you draw the line?

I play a little oddly and others are bound to disagree with this (fair enough, everyone has their own views on strategy, and maybe a few months from now I'll disagree with this myself) but I think Isoing smaller to something like 6379 accomplishes exact same against limper when we're ip, and villain wanting to enter the pot is going to make more mistakes against smaller sizing. Commits you less if someone shoves over the top also.

Thanks for posting the hand though - I remember it happening at the time and thinking 'yuk'.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Was just watching the WCOOP 2016 FT and a similarish spot to this came up.

Blinds are 1200-2400, 6 handed, and UTG makes a small raise to just over 5k. Isaac Haxton in the C/O with JJ (180k stack) makes it 16,800. The BTN with 40BB's (102k stack) 4bet shoves. Haxton has more chips than I did in this example (therefore can afford to go with this and still have a meaningful stack if he loses). The BB stack is only 25% more than mine in this hand so effectively it is quite similar. 

Getting almost 2/1 on a call (better odds than I had) I fully expected him to call, especially after the discussion here. He folds though and BTN 4 bet shover takes it down with AK.

I know it is not quite the same and is for serious $$ but I found the similarities interesting. I would be snapping in that position getting 2/1, especially knowing the opponents are capable of making these plays thinner.

Hand is here

Fast forward to the hand @ 4 minutes 57 secs.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2017
    Was just watching the WCOOP 2016 FT and a similarish spot to this came up. Blinds are 1200-2400, 6 handed, and UTG makes a small raise to just over 5k. Isaac Haxton in the C/O with JJ (180k stack) makes it 16,800. The BTN with 40BB's (102k stack) 4bet shoves. Haxton has more chips than I did in this example (therefore can afford to go with this and still have a meaningful stack if he loses). The BB stack is only 25% more than mine in this hand so effectively it is quite similar.  Getting almost 2/1 on a call (better odds than I had) I fully expected him to call, especially after the discussion here. He folds though and BTN 4 bet shover takes it down with AK. I know it is not quite the same and is for serious $$ but I found the similarities interesting. I would be snapping in that position getting 2/1, especially knowing the opponents are capable of making these plays thinner. Hand is  here Fast forward to the hand @ 4 minutes 57 secs.
    Posted by markycash

Without knowing the other finalists (I haven't watched the vid), I'm guessing Haxton is far and away the best player involved and probably wants to push his considerable edge in other, less spinning spots. Esp as he has (what appears to be) a very good stack and losing this flip could/would hinder his stack leverage for aggression.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited April 2017
    Quite a lot of differences tbf, the main one being that yours went limp > iso > 3bet. Whereas the video went open > 3bet > cold 4bet which imo makes the range much stronger.

Also, this is a FT with 6 left and 3 paid so huuuge ICM implications as opposed to when there's 30 odd runners left
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Quite a lot of differences tbf, the main one being that yours went limp /> iso > 3bet. Whereas the video went open > 3bet > cold 4bet which imo makes the range much stronger. Also, this is a FT with 6 left and 3 paid so huuuge ICM implications as opposed to when there's 30 odd runners left
    Posted by Lambert180

I definitely agree there are differences. A 'bad laydown' getting almost 2/1 with jacks could be pretty costly though for all the reasons you mention. I also think the 'would someone just shove a monster' discussion in this spot is similar to the hand in the thread. Is the BTN just jamming KK AA etc? If not and AQ/AK etc is also included in the mix then the odds are there to be calling.
  • Options
    raggy94raggy94 Member Posts: 149
    edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: UKOPS hand 1 - JJ : I definitely agree there are differences. A 'bad laydown' getting almost 2/1 with jacks could be pretty costly though for all the reasons you mention. I also think the 'would someone just shove a monster' discussion in this spot is similar to the hand in the thread. Is the BTN just jamming KK AA etc? If not and AQ/AK etc is also included in the mix then the odds are there to be calling.
    Posted by markycash

Seems like in the Ike Haxton hand the stack sizes would almost negate a 4bet/folding range (16 />38 >100 +10 = 3.5/1)