You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can you be a good,losing player?

namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
i have lost about 50 in the last few days playing cash but have made some great folds in that time and a lesser player would have lost more like a hundred.Its hard to see that as a positive though,lol.It got me thinking that if a player got unlucky over and over they could be a consistently losing,high quality player.What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Can you be a good,losing player?:
    i have lost about 50 in the last few days playing cash but have made some great folds in that time and a lesser player would have lost more like a hundred.Its hard to see that as a positive though,lol.It got me thinking that if a player got unlucky over and over they could be a consistently losing,high quality player.What do you think?
    Posted by namesb0nd
    well james akenhead is 150 k down for the last 6 months(on a particular site) playing online cash,whereas there will be countless guys 150k "up" for the same period and they will only have a fraction of his skill,so he would fit your description perfectly.
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited January 2010
    well you could be a good player but the fact you play against better players means youre a loser. For example Gus Hansen is obv very good at poker, hes just not good enough to play nosebleeds against Ivey, Antonius etc

But in general if you think youre a good player who is just really unlucky youre probably just overestimating your skill. The hardest thing in poker is to be self analytical, and its pretty easy just to blame it all on variance.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited January 2010
    Over a short period of time like 3 days in your example yes you can be a good player and still make a loss, everyone does, and everyone always will do. If your thinking over a bigger period, a month or even longer then you need to look at your game. We all get suckouts and go card dead but if your still losing over time maybe you need to work on getting max value out of the hands you do hit.

Say for example you flop the nuts and go all in and everyone folds you may make a little bit, but was deffinatly not the maximum value, then the next hand you get 2nd nuts vs the nuts and go bust... if you had doubled with the nuts the hand before that would of paid for you then losing the next hand and you are still even rather than a buyin down or out of the tourney.
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    i had a quick look at your stats ,

your  last 250 games [ NO CASH ] ,

you are by these stats in my opinion ,

an average player,

i would if i was you drop down in stake level,

you may find it easier.

over and out roborover !

• Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2010
    me?Average?! I think not.
  • Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited January 2010
    u can be a brilliant losing player if you tilt all the time

plenty of them
  • Options
    NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2010
    No, you cannot be a good losing player, players that are losing in my eyes are a) playing at the wrong level, b) not good enough/brd enough for the level, or c) are playing the wrong format.
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited January 2010
    You never mentioned what limits you were playing to lose 50.  If its nl10/20 its impossible to tell.  Even nl4 it is possible to go down this many buyins and still be playing a winning game.

If the download enables pt/hem they have a good tool called all in ev/sklansky bucks.  This will tell you in more detail what you would like to know.

atm, i think ur sample size is too small
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited January 2010
    You can be a good player and lose but not a good losing player.
  • Options
    SirFrankSirFrank Member Posts: 197
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone got a gearbox for a 1917 short wheel base landrover ...If yes ...For gods sake why?
  • Options
    timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2010
    lady fingers is bang on , varience is a key factor ov poker if you make the call with the right odds u will be a winning player over time if you think your good you must have done quite well over the years or so , so just keep doing what your doing
    but if your new to (real money ) poker (not that facebook crp)
    and are losing this can be due to playing to many hands playing the hands you have out ov positon
    not knowing what to bet , how to extract the maximum money
    i would sergest reading phil gordons little green book of poker
    i would class as probably the best book out there for begginers / average players
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Can you be a good,losing player?:
    lady fingers is bang on , varience is a key factor ov poker if you make the call with the right odds u will be a winning player over time if you think your good you must have done quite well over the years or so , so just keep doing what your doing but if your new to (real money ) poker (not that facebook crp) and are losing this can be due to playing to many hands playing the hands you have out ov positon not knowing what to bet , how to extract the maximum money i would sergest reading phil gordons little green book of poker i would class as probably the best book out there for begginers / average players
    Posted by timebomb10
    +1 read this book excellentoooooooo

oh and ladyfngers is always right ,

even when she's wrong .
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010
    Yes! I am a classic example!!!!!

U can win alot on sky bingo u know! 20k for 2 pence!

:(

DOHH
  • Options
    SirFrankSirFrank Member Posts: 197
    edited January 2010
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE LOSING.....what my problem is ...is, that im far to good a player for online ballsh!t .....or what they like to call POKER