You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

"Purple for nasty ratbags"

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,427
edited November 2017 in Poker Chat
How do you colour code your opponents?

I was amused to see "purple for nasty ratbags" on another thread today.

What colours do you use, & for what range of ability?

How do you assess "ability"?

In these private notes, what is the worst category you use?

I often used to reference a player to mark how bad, old, or lucky, they were. So I'd just write "Orford", "Essexphil" or Bates".

Comments

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Just the three colours for me

Red = huge leaks in there game

Orange = competent but has leaks and can spew tips

Green = good player minimal leaks and usually rough ranges for certain spots and how they can be exploited
  • Options
    Also a few select players I owe a slow roll or two
  • Options
    devil_teardevil_tear Member Posts: 198
    Haha thats a good one. Prefer specific notes to tagging generic colours (its also the O.C.D in me seeing random colours everywhere).

Its fun seeing notes you make on players from years back that aren't actually helpful. Like " offended when i said "interesting call".

I also like to leave my future self notes for inspiration like " Get to the gym you lazy ****."
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,484
    edited November 2017
    I started using green for players I’d had a ruck with.
    Unfortunately every game I played seemed to be entirely full of green people.
    So I had to mix it up a bit
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Haha fun thread!

Yellow - average reg
    Orange - strong reg
    Red - elite reg - only 4 players so far have earned this... :wink:

Then all the rest of the colours are for other players all the way up to 'must be somebody's pet walking up and down the keyboard mashing buttons'

Would be fascinating to see everyone's colour rankings on yourself for the day! Bet everyone manages to get tagged good by someone and then terrible by someone else
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,412
    Green= chases bad draws to shoves ATC
    Red=avoid like the plague or a consistent winner
    Orange= was a green, improving to a red or was a red, started to get worse , so should now be green.
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    edited November 2017
    Purple = top player ,watch out if he/she bets big
    Blue = good/ok player , proceed with caution
    Yellow= idiot , takes chances with there stack
    Red= absolute fool, bets every preflop, hates folding, suffers from tilt
    No colour= never played them before/hard to work out keeps changing game style between yellow, red and blue.

Had you down as purple Tikay when you played pl08 then down graded you down to a blue when you caught me on the river a few times. :D

• Options
    shipppp09shipppp09 Member Posts: 16
    Green - Elite
    Orange - Competant
    Light Blue - Fun Player
    Red - Super Fun Player

It’s all relative tho, some people’s competant players can be some people’s fun players and so on. Sharkscope is ususally the best to gauge a players overall ability. I also tend to make a note on players bet sizing’s on the river. Half pot - value, 75% pot - bluff etc.. not that I take it as gospel, but it certainly has helped me in a few close spots in the past.
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    I keep it to red = danger. Green = a player I want to play against.

As for notes,I don't keep any,as I believe players can play differently each time they play,so I prefer to go on what I see on the night.

One of the best things that helped my game ,was years ago I asked some of the best players,on the forum I was a member of,to tell me what they had in their notes about me,most of them did, and it told me a lot about my game, was a real Eye-opener for me.
  • Options

I keep it to red = danger. Green = a player I want to play against.

As for notes,I don't keep any,as I believe players can play differently each time they play,so I prefer to go on what I see on the night.

One of the best things that helped my game ,was years ago I asked some of the best players,on the forum I was a member of,to tell me what they had in their notes about me,most of them did, and it told me a lot about my game, was a real Eye-opener for me.

I would pay good money to know what notes people had on me lol

Also someone mentioned people play different every time they play which is actually fairly accurate to be fair. I don’t have a strategy when I load up a tournament as your strategy can actually lead to you missing good spots. Much better to try and adapt to the table.

That being said if you can get good at constructing rough ranges for different bb depths that is quite a useful tool
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    Itsover4u ,hi mate,ask the good/better players on this forum,what they have in their notes about you,ime sure they would tell you,that's the strange thing about poker players,we always like to help other players improve their game if we can, like giving them advice (if they ask) about how they should have played as hand etc
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,028

Itsover4u ,hi mate,ask the good/better players on this forum,what they have in their notes about you,ime sure they would tell you,that's the strange thing about poker players,we always like to help other players improve their game if we can, like giving them advice (if they ask) about how they should have played as hand etc

I'm not sure if they would though. It's all good and well giving advice on hand histories but it's quite different telling somebody what notes you have on them imo.

• Options
    Yeah I agree don’t think many would give me there’s notes or my leaks / perceived leaks lol
  • Options
    bert21bert21 Member Posts: 176
    like that post MadMonk , i only play low stakes but would love to know what anyone has a note on me (if any) what they think of me , good or bad. If anyone has a note please let me know, i need to improve, help a brother :-)
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited November 2017
    Itsover4u said:

Yeah I agree don’t think many would give me there’s notes or my leaks / perceived leaks lol

lol just typed out here my note on you then deleted it as don't want to get into leveling wars in-game of "he thinks I think he thinks I think this, etc..." :grin:

Edit: it was a good thing btw not a leak

Edit: not saying I'm one of the good players!
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited November 2017

Haha fun thread!

Yellow - average reg
    Orange - strong reg
    Red - elite reg - only 4 players so far have earned this... :wink:

Then all the rest of the colours are for other players all the way up to 'must be somebody's pet walking up and down the keyboard mashing buttons'

Would be fascinating to see everyone's colour rankings on yourself for the day! Bet everyone manages to get tagged good by someone and then terrible by someone else

Very similar to Angmar here - I use Blue/Green/Yellow/Orange/Red as a hot/cold scale of ability. I'm also a total nit with my "Absolute boss AVOID" tag. There's multiple regs who I know are up 6 figures plus from Poker and 'only' have a yellow or orange tag in my system. There's even a couple of people with a very attractive Sharkscope and a green tag.

If there were more colours, I'd probably have a dark/light blue for aggressive/passive bad respectively, same with green. I used a good 20-25 different colours/shades in my old 'Stars note system, and also had a greyscale system for something else that I can't remember any more which ran alongside, before they sold their soul and give away their last ounce of dignity in a chest to a Spin and Go reg. Would love more colours on here. #SortItOutSky

Then I use the remaining pink/purple colour as an "Alert" tag, so a lot of the really nitty, okay-ish guys who sit at cash doing nothing whatsoever unless they flop quads and generally being as exciting as a vacant seat will have a pink tag so that I notice when that person makes an aggressive action, rather than just going "Oh I've got something kinda pretty in position let's just peel everything". Find it helps me to snap out of autopilot decisions a fair bit.
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    Red - Very good or will limp with AA,KK,QQ.
    Yellow - General notes about their play.
    Blue - They have multiple coloured notes.
    Green - Play them every chance I get.
    Orange - Hard to get off a hand don't bluff.
    These are mainly for cash games some players don't have notes as I played them that regularly I new the way they played, now I have all these notes I play mostly tournaments.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,484
    I don’t actually have colour tags for anyone
    I have stacks of notes but they are generally about how they play their hands.
    As I play a lot of dyms there is a lot of basic stuff when I’m playing non regs.
    “Tight, shove light”
    “Caller, never shove light”

With the 2nd one I normally glance at that note just as I’ve shoved with 95 and he’s snapped with 10 5

Small player base and so I rarely look at my notes.

One thing I would advise is to date notes and what format game it is.
    A note from 2012 may not be much use now etc
  • Options
    neenioneenio Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2017
    i colour whom i consider top players in my opinion only have 10 coloured i tag the poor players with a note explaining why .
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Green - Blue Whale
    Blue - Halibut
    Yellow - Anchovy
    Orange - Basking Shark
    Purple - Hammerhead Shark
    Red - Great White Shark

As for notes, beyond noting any particularly strange lines post flop, most of my notes involve trying to pick up info on ranges - eg the bottom of a regs under the gun opening range or whether someone appears to have a linear or polarised 3bet range.

One problem for me though is that there isn't always enough space to take as many notes as I wish so, please Sky, do try to be a bit more generous on this front when you're developing your shiny new software!