You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Now what do we do?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430

Lots of players just register for one MTT each evening, maybe the Mini, or the Main, or perhaps a smaller Bounty Hunter.

If you bust early, what do you do then? Play something else, or just log off?

Many players just play the Main & Mini - same question, what do you do if you bust them both early? Quit, & then watch TV, talk to the dog, take the wife (or husband) for a walk, go to bed early?

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    In the week I'll play 2 or 3 early games and a couple of micro sats if I bust early i log off i have to get up early. Friday and Saturday I just keep playing until i pass out 😉
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    I will normally log on, see what has started and late reg into chosen event. Play like a maniac and bust. (Last night manaic play was rewarded with a luckbox FT) See if any other games look decent and either reg or view other sites if nothing takes my fancy. Failing that.... well into Dexter and white collar on netflix!

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,105
    If you look at Aussies stats, he covers 24 or 25 tournaments each day. There are between 1,400 and 1,800 unique players that play these tournaments daily. So if you took the average of lets say 1,600 per day. Multiply by 7 days, and you get a figure of 11,200 players per week that play the 24 or 25 tourneys. This number no longer refers to unique players as obviously some of the unique players will play more than one day per week. Multiply the 11,200 times by 50, which gives you a figure of around 560,000 players over the year.
    Aussie is showing just over 40,000 unique players this year. Divide this figure into the total, and this shows that each of the unique players has played around fourteen days this year.
    Aussie says almost 25 games on average per unique player this year.
    That wouldn't seem to be a lot.
    There would seem to be a huge opportunity for Sky if the average player could be tempted to play a bit more.
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    to help here...

there have been 40,160 unique players who have played in one of the 7,730 major tournaments played so far in 2017. of these, 26,839 have played 2 or more. this chart shows the numbers playing above a range of thresholds (please be aware of the changing scale)

i agree with Haysie's last sentence, the opportunity is huge if we encourage the average player to play more. you might see that half of all players (of major tournaments) play 3 or more. that also means that half don't.

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    there have been 1,001,899 entrants into major tournaments this year. there have been 40,160 unique players. this gives an average of 24.95 entries per unique player.

1,001,899 entrants in 7,730 major tournaments gives an average field size if 130.

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    How about to initially encourage more players to enter the Main & Mini in 2018, there is a weekly draw/award for an X amount of cash/tokens for any players who manage to cash in both events on the same night. That is, if they don't achieve hitting any Jackpot payout, of course.

This might induce them into playing more MTT's in the long run.

Interesting figures btw Rob.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited December 2017
    MAXALLY said:

How about to initially encourage more players to enter the Main & Mini in 2018, there is a weekly draw/award for an X amount of cash/tokens for any players who manage to cash in both events on the same night. That is, if they don't achieve hitting any Jackpot payout, of course.

This might induce them into playing more MTT's in the long run.

Interesting figures btw Rob.

I like this concept, although think it should be extended to all players rather than specifically people playing and cashing the main/mini.

Given that the consolation prize draw has to award less than the minimum jackpot 6th/6th prize of £50, I don't think it's really going to provide any more incentive than the jackpot does already. Most of the prizes are going to go to winning regs too, given they are more likely to cash both when they have an edge on the field than the random depositor who doesn't have an edge on the field, plus they play more mains/minis per week.

Maybe instead of the £5k of freerolls throughout the week for getting 50 Poker Points, perhaps replace with all in freerolls for the main/mini on the same night? Several advantages over the original suggestion, which would be:

- People who regularly play 4nl, £2 rebuys, a few DYMs etc are going to accumulate enough points throughout the week to be able to enter, when they probably won't enter the main and mini all that often. 50 Poker Points isn't out of anyone's reach. For them, a shot at potentially ~£7k for winning both the main and mini is probably far more inviting than "I'm probably going to min cash a FR for £1", or more realistically, they have a decent run and cash the main for £35 and grab a couple of bounties, maybe make the main FT for a few hundred quid, which for a lower stakes player is still a decent night's work.

- Everyone has exactly the same chance to win a free seat (As they can obviously only enter a nightly AI freeroll once), which is good for ecology if we can get more recs in bigger MTTs and getting decent results.

- The £1k prize pool in the Rewards Freeroll each night has so many £1 and £2 prizes that are pretty insignificant to most people playing the tournament. I think it'd be better to have 10 x £33 main seats being given out instead of a bunch of £1s and £2s from 85th-300th place. Just need to look at the increase in numbers for the rewards freeroll when there's an SPT satellite seat or a roller seat for the top X runners to see the effect of this kind of prize.

- For series such as UKOPS, it puts a significant dent in reaching the guarantee if you can put 10 x £110 freeroll entries in every night for a month beginning when the schedule is released, especially when maybe 7-8 of those are unlikely to qualify/BI otherwise. You could use this same flexibility to put some extra people in SPT/VLV sats, 9pm £55 BH or one of the £11 BHs too if you wanted.

- People aren't actually playing the freeroll any more, so people who only play 1-2 tables can now register an MTT or sit at a cash table instead, rather than wasting their time playing a freeroll which Sky makes £0 in rake from. Plus if someone wins an 8pm main seat in a 7pm freeroll, they might sit at cash or play SNGs for 45 minutes while waiting for the tournament.

- People are going to log on more for an all in 'prize draw' that requires no effort whatsoever, so you're going to get more people thinking "Actually yeah I feel like playing some Poker now that I've got the Sky client open".

- From Sky's POV, giving away £5k of seats over a week is actually only giving away ~£4.5k because of MTT rake. Therefore, you could use that saving to possibly add Saturday/Sunday all in freerolls as well, or bump the prize pool up slightly if you wanted.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    To answer the original question, I find it's more a problem busting a load and being left with one game (especially if it's in the early stages). I'm then stuck at the PC and scrabbling to find things to occupy me, normally then donate to the PLO8 DYM sharks.

Quite happy when the session completes, a whole manner of interesting things to invest our time in. For me it's some comedy on TV, playing an instrument (headphones on) or a good book. Unfortunately the mrs is about to leave her job and my evenings may not be as free as I'm used to...

Pingu, learn to be more concise, perhaps have a word with markycash.

Aussie, interesting stats, what do we think causes people to play fewer than 5 mains per year? Can you look at these people's average buy-ins or interact volume of non-mains in some training way? Just wondering if these are regulars 'stepping up', people who play very rarely, or those who have played and fled.
  • Options
    AKAscottyAKAscotty Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2017
    would it be possible to run newbie tourneys 1 or 2 nightly for players under 500 games or under 6 months on site, giving them plenty of time to find their feet and get hooked! also i would love to see sit n go satellites running 24/7 into the main
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    AKAscotty said:

would it be possible to run newbie tourneys 1 or 2 nightly for players under 500 games or under 6 months on site, giving them plenty of time to find their feet and get hooked! also i would love to see sit n go satellites running 24/7 into the main

Just because someone is new to the site doesn't mean they are new to the game. I think the 50p micro freezeout and the £1/£2 deepstacks cater pretty well for those types anyway; plenty of play for a very small outlay.

As for SNG sats, as with many things on the site they've been trialled before with zero success.
  • Options
    AKAscotty said:

If you do freerolls, you get people signing their neighbour's guinea pig up to Sky Poker just to enter, and you get all the freeroll hunters and gambling bonus abusers who have no interest in ever putting money into a Poker site playing as well. They used to have a new player freeroll when I signed up here, but they've got rid of it since.

I think it'd probably be okay to run something with added value for beginners though, at least then people are going to have to pay something to play, so there's an inbuilt deterrent for multi-accounting if you deposit and get your account funds taken when you win. Most freeroll hunter and bonus abuser types won't pay to buy in either.

+1 to SNG satellites, something I've asked for before on the forum. Don't think it's possible with the current iteration of the software though, I think was the response. Would work for all in sats too.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,105

AKAscotty said:

Just because someone is new to the site doesn't mean they are new to the game. I think the 50p micro freezeout and the £1/£2 deepstacks cater pretty well for those types anyway; plenty of play for a very small outlay.

As for SNG sats, as with many things on the site they've been trialled before with zero success.
    Most peoples glasses are either half full or half empty, depending on whether they are optimistic, or pessimistic. Well you take glass measuring to a whole new level. Your glass is always just empty. Not a single drop in it. Devoid of any liquid, full stop.
    You just give Red Indians a bad name, Tonto.
    Once I saw the name at the top of the post, I knew that it wouldn't be an idea, or a suggestion. It would just be about why everyone elses suggestion wont work.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

AKAscotty said:

Most peoples glasses are either half full or half empty, depending on whether they are optimistic, or pessimistic. Well you take glass measuring to a whole new level. Your glass is always just empty. Not a single drop in it. Devoid of any liquid, full stop.
    Once I saw the name at the top of the post, I knew that it wouldn't be an idea, or a suggestion. It would just be about why everyone elses suggestion wont work.

From the guy who only comes on here to grumble about the MTT schedule, or sats, or UKOPs, or main event price points, or the meaning of the word 'guaranteed'. Incred irony and I'm sure it's not lost on a chap as intelligent as yourself.

Sky have tried SNG sats before (after being prompted by the forum), I'm pretty sure they just didn't fill and were soon binned off. If that makes me a pessimist then I really couldn't care less.

And it wasn't ''everyone elses suggestion'', just AKAscotty's suggestion that I poured my empty glass of scorn over.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    HAYSIE said:

AKAscotty said:

If anyone besides yourself ever found the Tonto 'joke' funny to begin with, they probably stopped laughing at it about 500 posts ago.

He actually makes a valid point about there being a decent number of micro deepstacks that are good value for beginners to play, and that not all new Sky Poker players are new to Poker - There is certainly less value in a site providing new player freerolls than there was five or ten years ago.

Just because his view differs from someone else's, doesn't mean that he's being pessimistic, or that there's anything wrong with him expressing that in the way that he has done here. His post certainly added more to the thread than you choosing to launch your umpteenth personal attack on Hhy whilst adding nothing to the discussion.

Hhy has thick enough skin that I doubt he cares what you call him, but I very much doubt I'm alone in being bored to death of reading whatever immature grudge you have against him.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
    EvilPingu said:

HAYSIE said:

AKAscotty said:

If anyone besides yourself ever found the Tonto 'joke' funny to begin with, they probably stopped laughing at it about 500 posts ago.

He actually makes a valid point about there being a decent number of micro deepstacks that are good value for beginners to play, and that not all new Sky Poker players are new to Poker - There is certainly less value in a site providing new player freerolls than there was five or ten years ago.

Just because his view differs from someone else's, doesn't mean that he's being pessimistic, or that there's anything wrong with him expressing that in the way that he has done here. His post certainly added more to the thread than you choosing to launch your umpteenth personal attack on Hhy whilst adding nothing to the discussion.

Hhy has thick enough skin that I doubt he cares what you call him, but I very much doubt I'm alone in being bored to death of reading whatever immature grudge you have against him.
    An outrageous suggestion. I have it on good authority that he was in floods of tears when he read this thread.
  • Options
    Does crying on your own shoulder count as having a shoulder to cry on?
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    I've been thinking of what to reply to this thread for a while and I still can't come up with anything really.

People have so many different ways to spend their time now, compared to even 5/6 years ago. Imagine trying to get such a fantastic product like Sky Poker TV on the air today, just wouldn't happen.

Trying to get into a recreational players head, who only plays the odd game here and there, is a tough space for me to get into.

Maybe a mass spam email of thousands of inactive accounts over the xmas period with a free UKOPS mini ticket or something to get things going again!

The one thing that I would say is that the lobby does look a bit dated and needs a bit of a make over. It's totally fine for me, I like it how it is. But maybe to someone who only comes on Sky now and then, it looks basic compared to other sites.