You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Gun laws in the USA

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,474

If you were POTUS for a day, would you ban the ownership of guns by members of the public?

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Americans are very funny about their guns, banning them just isn't possible. You would think they would want something done with the constant school shootings however I think they are now just used to them.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,362
    The ban would be ignored and you would be shot.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    It's so deep rooted in their 'culture' that it just doesn't seem feasible to implement a ban, despite it being painfully obvious that they have ridiculous issues with guns.

Maybe if the American authorities can engineer more Vegas-esque shootings, and then pin it on a lone wolf, they might get some gun control laws over the line.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148

It's so deep rooted in their 'culture' that it just doesn't seem feasible to implement a ban, despite it being painfully obvious that they have ridiculous issues with guns.

Maybe if the American authorities can engineer more Vegas-esque shootings, and then pin it on a lone wolf, they might get some gun control laws over the line.

This is obviously a double false flag operation perpetrated by the NRA utilising the FBI as a schill to double bluff the electorate to arm themselves even more for 'protection'
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,501
    Let them keep the Guns ban the Bullets. I jest; We are banned from owning guns here but they are still in the hands of Criminals on our streets. If you have the money and the intent you can get anything check out NK.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Let them keep the Guns ban the Bullets. I jest; We are banned from owning guns here but they are still in the hands of Criminals on our streets. If you have the money and the intent you can get anything check out NK.

There really is no comparison between the gun crime figures in the UK and the US.

Shootings, although we do have them, are relatively rare over here, and a death via a gun is always big news as it so rarely happens. In the States, thousands die annually from guns, and thousands more are injured.

So yes, whilst it would be impossible to outlaw something entirely, its not anywhere near as big an issue here as across the pond.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Guns dont kill people, bad people do.
    If they didnt have a gun they would use something else.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

If they didnt have a gun they would use something else.

Things have changed a little bit since 15th December 1791.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    Gun control is exactly what a lot of politicians want, to enable them to exert greater control of the populus, especially as they have more guns than the government.
    This is exactly what the 2nd amendment was for, to enable citizens to defend themselves.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    VespaPX said:

If they didnt have a gun they would use something else

The two most overused Strawman arguments, they should just admit they love guns and don't care about consequences
  • Options
    16 dead in Florida school shooting.

But yeah guns rule and its silly to think something decided in 1791 is horrifically outdated.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited February 2018
    If I were president for a day, as proposed in the OP...

Yes, I would ban guns. I would also put in place a massive awareness campaign designed at changing social attitudes towards guns (such as was achieved with drink driving in this country). On top of that I would devise a way of paying a small cash sum to those who handed guns in and look at ways to offset this cost.

Would this stop all gun crime? Absolutely not. Would it stop some of it? Absolutely. Surely that would have to be worthwhile.

I know if people were determined enough they could either (a) get a gun somewhere else or (b) use something else. That is the point. They would have to be more determined. It would be a touch harder to decide on a whim to go and shoot up a school with a semi-automatic weapon.

As for the citizen's rights... Pretty sure there must a right for citizens to not get shot.

P.S. If mass school shootings started happening every day then attitudes would change and guns would be banned. So there is a red line, somewhere. It is just a shame that this red line is set at such a ridiculous level. Well done to the UK on that one. Our red line was set at a much more reasonable level.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The Guardian reported an astonishing fact this morning;

Yesterday's tragedy was the 8th shooting which resulted in death or injury at a school in the USA in 2018 alone. There were 10 further school shootings which did not result in death or injury. That's one shooting every 3 days, roughly.

At that rate, there will be around 100 more school shootings in the USA before 2018 is out.
  • Options
    markycash said:

Yes, I would ban guns. I would also put in place a massive awareness campaign designed at changing social attitudes towards guns (such as was achieved with drink driving in this country). On top of that I would devise a way of paying a small cash sum to those who handed guns in and look at ways to offset this cost.

Would this stop all gun crime? Absolutely not. Would it stop some of it? Absolutely. Surely that would have to be worthwhile.

I know if people were determined enough they could either (a) get a gun somewhere else or (b) use something else. That is the point. They would have to be more determined. It would be a touch harder to decide on a whim to go and shoot up a school with a semi-automatic weapon.

As for the citizen's rights... Pretty sure there must a right for citizens to not get shot.P.S. If mass school shootings started happening every day then attitudes would change and guns would be banned. So there is a red line, somewhere. It is just a shame that this red line is set at such a ridiculous level. Well done to the UK on that one. Our red line was set at a much more reasonable level.

That's a very good way of looking at it.
  • Options
    markycash said:

As for the citizen's rights... Pretty sure there must a right for citizens to not get shot.

P.S. If mass school shootings started happening every day then attitudes would change and guns would be banned. So there is a red line, somewhere. It is just a shame that this red line is set at such a ridiculous level. Well done to the UK on that one. Our red line was set at a much more reasonable level.

They happen pretty regularly already so much so that we are desensitised to it and when you hear about it you are saddened but not shocked.

I don't know if the mindset shift required is possible in the US. They believe it is their right to have a gun, they believe that the best way to protect yourself against bad people with guns is to have guns yourself.

• Options
    Found this site which states 30 mass shootings in the US in 2018. Some of the numbers on the link are staggering when we are only in February!

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/
  • Options
    Trump could get away with banning Assault Rifles to the Public.
    But has he got the Ba lls.
    Their Police came up against armed robbers with better more powerful weapons than they had. Hiding behind their Vehicles was useless as the bullets went right through and even their body Armour didn't protect them. Trying to get back the one's out there would be Task & Half, can't see them rushing to hand them in.
  • Options
    How can we tell America to sort their crime out when we have knife crime here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCGR9_GdhA

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Now if everyone with AR-15 or other Assault Rifles followed this chap.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBJmkwe.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Trump, dragging his heels not wishing to upset his sponsors. But needs total ban on sales.