You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who are you backing in the Grand National?

edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,899
The Hennessy/Ladbroke Trophy has thrown up some good horses over the years, so the first two on my list are,

Total Recall to win @ 11/1
Regal Encore to win @ 33/1

Not sure it will get in, but Braqueur D'Or to win @ 80/1

More to follow no doubt.

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited April 2018
    edrich said:

The Hennessy/Ladbroke Trophy has thrown up some good horses over the years, so the first two on my list are,

Total Recall to win @ 11/1
    Regal Encore to win @ 33/1

Not sure it will get in, but Braqueur D'Or to win @ 80/1

More to follow no doubt.

Yes the 'Hennessy/ladbroke Trophy has always been a good guide for horses for the Grand National, and I agree with both your choices, even though they have risks attached..... TOTAL RECALL fell last time in the Gold Cup, which obviously isn't ideal, but Willie Mullins is very happy with him apparently, and REGAL ENCORE is very inconsistent and Pulls Up as often as he finishes, but both horses have defo big races in them.
    I'm waiting to see what the going is like, 'coz my Dad lives down the road from Aintree in Southport, and when I spoke to him today, he says it's been raining there all week, and he reckons there's no way its going to be Good to Soft, as they're predicting apparently. i would say it's going to be Soft at least, even with a good sunny week, so a horse that stays well and likes Soft going is what I'll be looking at.
    When the weights first came out, I was immediately drawn by the weight SEEYOUATMIDNIGHT was given, (initially I always look at horses carrying under 11 stone), but having seen how low he jumps at Newbury, I was a bit put off. Another horse who I really like is GO CONQUER, who is a fantastic jumper who goes from the front too, but I think it's going to be too soft for him, and can't see him getting home.......
    ..... so basically I'm still studying and waiting, but it's great to get this thread started and one I'm seriously considering is WARRIOR'S TALE @ 50/1, and I see it's been bought by Trevor Hemmings, (Mr Blackpool Tower) who loves to try and win this race.
  • Options
    I thought Total Recall was just getting into the race when it fell in the Gold Cup.
    Although falling was not ideal preparation, maybe it was saved from an energy sapping slog up the hill. Who knows. As for Regal Encore, inconsistent is right. Let's hope it's a going day next Saturday.

I always back the Hennessy horses first, regardless of any ground considerations. That said, my other selections will have a bit more thought put into them, Especially the going. If you can get your dad to sneak onto the course later next week, and, if he has one, see how far he can get his walking stick into the ground, it would be appreciated.

For something so important, I never think there are enough going updates. We sometimes only get a true idea of the conditions very late each day, from comments from jockeys and trainers, although I do appreciate that it is not an easy thing to measure.

• Options
    The 40 runners plus 4 reserves have now been confirmed. Time to get your pins out.
  • Options
    Minella Rocco (IRE)
    Blaklion
    Anibale Fly (FR)
    The Last Samuri (IRE)
    Valseur Lido (FR)
    Total Recall (IRE)
    Alpha Des Obeaux (FR)
    Perfect Candidate (IRE)
    Shantou Flyer (IRE)
    Tenor Nivernais (FR)
    Carlingford Lough (IRE)
    Vicente (FR)
    Tiger Roll (IRE)
    Regal Encore (IRE)
    Vieux Lion Rouge (FR)
    Chase The Spud
    Warriors Tale
    Seeyouatmidnight
    Gas Line Boy (IRE)
    The Dutchman (IRE)
    Pleasant Company (IRE)
    Ucello Conti (FR)
    Saint Are (FR)
    Beeves (IRE)
    Raz De Maree (FR)
    I Just Know (IRE)
    Virgilio (FR)
    Baie Des Iles (FR)
    Maggio (FR)
    Pendra (IRE)
    Buywise (IRE)
    Childrens List (IRE)
    Lord Windermere (IRE)
    Captain Redbeard (IRE)
    Houblon Des Obeaux (FR)
    Bless The Wings (IRE)
    Milansbar (IRE)
    Final Nudge (IRE)
    Double Ross (IRE)
    Road To Riches (IRE)

Reserves

Thunder And Roses (IRE)
    Delusionofgrandeur (IRE)
    Walk In The Mill (FR)
    Vintage Clouds (IRE)
  • Options
    mattprawnmattprawn Member Posts: 632
    Morning all. I’m at Aintree today, very excited! Any of you wise people got any views on potential winners today please? Matt
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    mattprawn said:

Morning all. I’m at Aintree today, very excited! Any of you wise people got any views on potential winners today please? Matt

Trust you to be there on Ladies Day.

Or, perhaps more correctly, "Ladies Day".

• Options
    mattprawn said:

Hiya Matt
    Good day to pick to go Racing.....as you can see from TiKay's piccy!
    Yes it's the 'Ladies of Liverpool' Annual Jamboree and it's going to be a bit chilly too, so try and keep your eyes on the horses, and not the Fillies.

For tips have a look on the Naps thread in the Betting Chat, and have a look on the Syndicate thread too (April Naps), latest pages of both for todays Naps.

Horses I like are
    1.45: WHO DARES WINS + SPIRITOFTHEGAMES

2.20 GLOBAL CITIZEN + SCARLET DRAGON

2.50 TERREFORT (this race is very open and any of them could win!)

3.25 MIN

4.05 TOP GAMBLE (my NAP each way) + FLYING ANGEL (well you have to for Donna/DarkAngel) and at a bigger price BIGBADJOHN + RATHLIN ROSE (you have to for Roseeeeee) back these 2 each way

4.40 SANTINI + CHEF DES OBEAUX

5.15 Another very open race but PYM + SEVARANO (me being a golfer!!)

Have a GREAT Day......... and hope you back a winner or three..... and if you don't, the beer and the sights will make up for it ( Just don't tell Mrs P.)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

mattprawn said:

Trust you to be there on Ladies Day.

Or, perhaps more correctly, "Ladies Day".

Gosh. That looks like Friday night in the bar at an SPT. Might prove too much for a boring accountant like me!
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

mattprawn said:

Hiya Matt
    Good day to pick to go Racing.....as you can see from TiKay's piccy!
    Yes it's the 'Ladies of Liverpool' Annual Jamboree and it's going to be a bit chilly too, so try and keep your eyes on the horses, and not the Fillies.

For tips have a look on the Naps thread in the Betting Chat, and have a look on the Syndicate thread too (April Naps), latest pages of both for todays Naps.

Horses I like are
    1.45: WHO DARES WINS + SPIRITOFTHEGAMES

2.20 GLOBAL CITIZEN + SCARLET DRAGON

2.50 TERREFORT (this race is very open and any of them could win!)

3.25 MIN

4.05 TOP GAMBLE (my NAP each way) + FLYING ANGEL (well you have to for Donna/DarkAngel) and at a bigger price BIGBADJOHN + RATHLIN ROSE (you have to for Roseeeeee) back these 2 each way

4.40 SANTINI + CHEF DES OBEAUX

5.15 Another very open race but PYM + SEVARANO (me being a golfer!!)

Have a GREAT Day......... and hope you back a winner or three..... and if you don't, the beer and the sights will make up for it ( Just don't tell Mrs P.)
    Thanks Misty, sounds good. I’ll report back if I survive the day.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    TIGER ROLL 12/1
    BLACKLION 12/1
    SHANTOU FLYER 33/1
    VIRGILIO 80/1

ALL E/W.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,042
    Blaklion & Vieux Lion Rouge for me, both ew of course
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,042
    Three NR's for tomorrow so far
    Minella Rocco- replaced by Thunder And Roses
    Beeves- replaced by Walk In The Mill and
    Vicente- replaced by Delusionofgrandeur
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I'm glad DELUSIONOFGRANDEUR has got in as it's my big priced outsider NAP @ 80/1...... each way of course :)B)
  • Options
    I've done 8 to win,

Main bets,
    Total Recall @ 14/1
    Regal Encore @ 33/1

Not so much on,
    Virgilio @ 82
    Saint Are @ 100
    Double Ross @ 120

And a little on these 3 just to stop them,
    Pleasant Company @ 48
    Final Nudge @ 50
    Chase The Spud @ 55

Good luck all.

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2018
    I know his knowledge is his business, but I came for an optimistic glance hoping Neil might've given us the winner.

I remember his "tip by channing" thread, or something similar, when he used to put 1 horse up a week in poker chat a few years ago.

Not much luck for me whenever I followed, but as with poker, the results don't matter, as long as we get it in good.

Maybe Neil can sneak on 10 minutes before the off and let us all know where the value is ;)

---

My beloved Nana isn't too well at the moment. Well she hasn't been for a long long time, and it seems she wont be with us much longer at all.

Throughout her life, she was an avid race horse fan, pictures all over her walls of Red Rum, Shergar, her favourite Desert Orchid, and more recently Sea the Stars and Frankel.

Growing up, if ever we were at Nanas and racing was on, we'd have to pick our favourite colour silks out of the paper and she'd back them, and give us the returns to spend at the tuck shop at school. (funnily enough that was the last time I had a winner)

In her later years she was unable to walk down to the "betting shop", so I would put her bets on every saturday afternoon on the internet, 40pence lucky 15 (£6) and £4 win.

On numerous occasions, (everytime it ran on TV it seemd) the £4 win would go on Lord Windermere, one of her favourite horses.

"it doesn't owe me owt" she used to say.

As her memory wandered in her later years, she'd tell me over and over again about how it won for her in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, I once listened to that story 3 times in a 1 hour period, each time told with just as much enthusiasm as the first, probably 100+ tales ago.

She never spoke of how much she won, only of how "beautiful" the horses are, their ranging strides, their stunning coats, and the power in their hind legs, I think she enjoyed watching them parade around the paddock more than the race itself.

She could watch a day of racing, not get a horse in the top 3 and still enjoy it as much as if she'd backed every winner on the card.

So my lucky tenner ew is going on Lord Windemere @ 66/1. Paying 6 places.

Hopefully there's 1 last good run in the old boy, and if it's 20 lengths ahead approaching the last and decides it doesn't want to jump anymore, I promise to laugh it off, just as Nana would. ****

---

**** Not true, I'll be f*in raging.

Good luck all having a flutter, and come on Neil. Giddy Up! :blush:
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

@DOHHHHHHH

That's a beautifully written post.
  • Options
    wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,527
    DOHHHHHHH said:

I know his knowledge is his business, but I came for an optimistic glance hoping Neil might've given us the winner.

I remember his "tip by channing" thread, or something similar, when he used to put 1 horse up a week in poker chat a few years ago.

Not much luck for me whenever I followed, but as with poker, the results don't matter, as long as we get it in good.

Maybe Neil can sneak on 10 minutes before the off and let us all know where the value is ;)

---

My beloved Nana isn't too well at the moment. Well she hasn't been for a long long time, and it seems she wont be with us much longer at all.

Throughout her life, she was an avid race horse fan, pictures all over her walls of Red Rum, Shergar, her favourite Desert Orchid, and more recently Sea the Stars and Frankel.

Growing up, if ever we were at Nanas and racing was on, we'd have to pick our favourite colour silks out of the paper and she'd back them, and give us the returns to spend at the tuck shop at school. (funnily enough that was the last time I had a winner)

In her later years she was unable to walk down to the "betting shop", so I would put her bets on every saturday afternoon on the internet, 40pence lucky 15 (£6) and £4 win.

On numerous occasions, (everytime it ran on TV it seemd) the £4 win would go on Lord Windermere, one of her favourite horses.

As her memory wandered in her later years, she'd tell me over and over again about how it won for her in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, I once listened to that story 3 times in a 1 hour period, each time told with just as much enthusiasm as the first, probably 100+ tales ago.

She never spoke of how much she won, only of how "beautiful" the horses are, their ranging strides, their stunning coats, and the power in their hind legs, I think she enjoyed watching them parade around the paddock more than the race itself.

She could watch a day of racing, not get a horse in the top 3 and still enjoy it as much as if she'd backed every winner on the card.

Hopefully there's 1 last good run in the old boy, and if it's 20 lengths ahead approaching the last and decides it doesn't want to jump anymore, I promise to laugh it off, just as Nana would. ****

---

Nice story,hope you get a run for your money.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    DOHHHHHHH said:

---

---

Nice post. You should do a diary B)
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,316
    Wonderful post Doh and I wonder if you remember me giving LORD WINDERMERE as the winner of the 2014 GOLD CUP a year in advance:-

vaigret Posts: 9,536Member
    March 2013 edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 2013 THREAD:
    In Response to Re: CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 2013 THREAD : I was gonna reply to this Father by saying we should agree to quit ante post betting. But I think I've seen the 2014 Grand National winner today lol
    Posted by joesman1
    I hardly ever do Neil, I like to wait for NRNB as you know. By the way I take it you are talking about Back in Focus.

I think I have seen future Gold Cup winner with Lord Windermere.

Got it at 33-1 and like your Nana , have had a soft spot for it ever since.

So obviously one of my horses for tomoz is

LORD WINDERMERE 50-1

although If you rememer how it won that race it wont be lengths ahead on the run in, it will pounce late. HOPEFULLY

Also done

RAZ DE MAREE 40-1
    GAS LINE BOY 33-1

ALSO HAD LITTLE SAVERS ON

Venetias two
    UCELLO CONTI
    THE DUTCHMAN
    SEE YOU AT MIDNIGHT
    THE LAST SAMURAI
    SAINT ARE

tHINK THAT ENOUGH

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY

• Options
    Great post DOHHHHHH.

With the going being pretty Heavy I've settled on

MILANSBAR .............28/1
    BLACKLION .............14/1
    WARRIOR'S TALE .....50/1
    and my outsider (even though it's probably a bit too soft for it...
    DELUSIONOFGRANDEUR .....100/1

ALL each way paying first 6 places

GOOD LUCK today everyone :):):p