You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ICM calcs look wrong

MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,238
Hi guys

I,m trying ICMizer again and trying to work out the best strategy for 4 player super turbo sit and go,s.

They don,t cover the site I,m playing on so I,ve created a new format under "other" tab.

A lot of of what its saying just doesn,t look right tho so I,m not sure if I,ve set it up right. I did enquire about this to the support team a while back and asked how I go about putting the blind level times in. This is going to be difficult as the blinds go up every 140 seconds, but the response I got back was that the timing level of the blinds don,t matter which I thought a bit strange at the time but maybe I,m just misunderstanding this whole ICM thing.

Maybe its me being nitty but it all seems very loose - too loose)

Ps If anyone can tell me simply how to post pics I,ll do that in future

Heres a straightforward one I noticed earlier

HU with 1k each in chips at 30/60 and its saying j8 off is a 0.04% shove - Assuming opponent calls with 25% of his range

Does this sound correct or am I getting something wrong here. Just seems very loose

I,ve spotted much stranger ones than this so I,ll try and figure out how to post pics from a screenshot which will hopefully be easier to see

Cheers

P

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Think I,ve sussed the picture thing. We learn something new every day :)

On this one it says if we are on 1k each at 40/80 and I,m thinking he will call with 25% again that I should be shoving with 8 4 off. Does this sound right?

• Options
    PS. Any other tips on beating this format of the game would be greatly appreciated.

(I,m currently voice recording most of my games to make notes on players as there is no function to do this) and keeping them on a sticky in the background

Thx

P
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited May 2018
    MP33 said:

but the response I got back was that the timing level of the blinds don,t matter which I thought a bit strange at the time but maybe I,m just misunderstanding this whole ICM thing.

ICM is based on chip stacks and payouts and absolutely nothing else.

In reality, yes there's a couple of spots where you might have a marginal decision that changes because the blinds are going up in 10 seconds, but ICM is only a model, after all.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MP33 said:

HU with 1k each in chips at 30/60 and its saying j8 off is a 0.04% shove - Assuming opponent calls with 25% of his range

Does this sound correct or am I getting something wrong here. Just seems very loose

Fwiw, ICM is irrelevant HU. The probability of winning is your chip% and the probability of you losing is 1-chip%.

As for the question: This will depend what's included in that 25%. Using just typing 25% into a % box and letting it pick the range, my calculations gave me the following at 30/60 blinds w/ 1k stacks, shoving J8o vs 25% call range:

Compared to folding you win 1.5bb 75% of the time when shoving is successful
    You have 33.4% vs. opponent when called, so you lose 5.03bb 25% of the time when this happens.

If you've manually entered a range that includes slightly less JTo, J9s and stuff that dominates you but more Axo and 22-55 (arguably more realistic for people to call 55 and A6o than J9o anyway) then I can see how the calculator would spit out it a number where it's marginally profitable.
  • Options
    Also worth noting that even though a calc might say "Shoving J8o is marginally profitable", there's often going to be better ways to play the hand. You may choose to put J8o into either your button limp range, or your minraise/fold range. If you just follow the calculator saying "push/fold" you're going to kill some of your edge in some spots.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    EvilPingu said:

MP33 said:

but the response I got back was that the timing level of the blinds don,t matter which I thought a bit strange at the time but maybe I,m just misunderstanding this whole ICM thing.

ICM is based on chip stacks and payouts and absolutely nothing else.
    Formula goes something like

P(win) = Your % of chips in play
    P(2nd) = P(Seat1 wins) * (your stack / chips in play without seat 1) + P(Seat2 wins) * (your stack / chips in play without seat 2) etc - Repeat for every possible winner
    P(3rd) = P(Seat1 wins) * P(Seat2 2nd) * (your stack / chips in play without seats 1 and 2), repeat for all combos of 1st and 2nd and sum.

And so on for however many players there are left in the tournament.
  • Options
    Good stuff Pingu. Much appreciated.

I have just been typing percentages in and didn,t realise you could enter hands in manually.

And as you say there are other options rather than just shove/fold which I need to luck at more. I,ll be watching a few HU matches on here and other sites to try and improve some more.

Thx again

P