You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Pseudorandom number generators

SEPERABITSEPERABIT Member Posts: 47
after all the years of is it rigged or is it not thought i would put this on and see what people think as I'am sure there must be a few tech savvy people out there that will be able to say that it really is random or is it only as good as the input that has been pre programed in?

Now fair enough this is from skys bingo site but if the prng on there is only as good as the input does the same apply on the poker rng?

links below.

https://support.skybingo.com/s/article/Sky-Bingo-Game-Rules

4. Sky Bingo software and the Random Number Generator

4.1 The software for Sky Bingo is powered by Virtue Fusion, who use a software-based Pseudo Random Number Generator (PRNG) developed by Sun Microsystems. The PRNG implements the SHA1PRNG algorithm, which is made available by the Java 2 Standard Edition 5 library class java.security.SecureRandom.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then you find stuff like this online.
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/06/security-crypto-provider-deprecated-in.html

Security "Crypto" provider deprecated in Android N
09 June 2016

Posted by Sergio Giro, software engineer
random_droid

If your Android app derives keys using the SHA1PRNG algorithm from the Crypto provider, you must start using a real key derivation function and possibly re-encrypt your data.

The Java Cryptography Architecture allows developers to create an instance of a class like a cipher, or a pseudo-random number generator, using calls like:
SomeClass.getInstance("SomeAlgorithm", "SomeProvider");

Or simply:
SomeClass.getInstance("SomeAlgorithm");

For instance,
Cipher.getInstance(“AES/CBC/PKCS5PADDING”); SecureRandom.getInstance(“SHA1PRNG”);

On Android, we don’t recommend specifying the provider. In general, any call to the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) APIs specifying a provider should only be done if the provider is included in the application or if the application is able to deal with a possible ProviderNotFoundException.

Unfortunately, many apps depend on the now removed “Crypto” provider for an anti-pattern of key derivation.

This provider only provided an implementation of the algorithm “SHA1PRNG” for instances of SecureRandom. The problem is that the SHA1PRNG algorithm is not cryptographically strong. For readers interested in the details, On statistical distance based testing of pseudo random sequences and experiments with PHP and Debian OpenSSL,Section 8.1, by Yongge Want and Tony Nicol, states that the “random” sequence, considered in binary form, is biased towards returning 0s, and that the bias worsens depending on the seed.

As a result, in Android N we are deprecating the implementation of the SHA1PRNG algorithm and the Crypto provider altogether. We’d previously covered the issues with using SecureRandom for key derivation a few years ago in Using Cryptography to Store Credentials Safely. However, given its continued use, we will revisit it here.

A common but incorrect usage of this provider was to derive keys for encryption by using a password as a seed. The implementation of SHA1PRNG had a bug that made it deterministic if setSeed() was called before obtaining output. This bug was used to derive a key by supplying a password as a seed, and then using the "random" output bytes for the key (where “random” in this sentence means “predictable and cryptographically weak”). Such a key could then be used to encrypt and decrypt data.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what? thats where the clever people come in!

so what is rng and is it trully random?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation

Random number generation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation
Jump to search

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
When a cubical die is rolled, a random number between 1 and 6 is obtained.

Random number generation is the generation of a sequence of numbers or symbols that cannot be reasonably predicted better than by a random chance, usually through a hardware random-number generator (RNG).

Various applications of randomness have led to the development of several different methods for generating random data, of which some have existed since ancient times, among whose ranks are well-known "classic" examples, including the rolling of dice, coin flipping, the shuffling of playing cards, the use of yarrow stalks (for divination) in the I Ching, as well as countless other techniques. Because of the mechanical nature of these techniques, generating large numbers of sufficiently random numbers (important in statistics) required a lot of work and/or time. Thus, results would sometimes be collected and distributed as random number tables. Nowadays, after the advent of computational random-number generators, a growing number[quantify] of government-run lotteries and lottery games have started[when?] using RNGs instead of more traditional drawing methods. RNGs are also used to determine the outcomes of modern slot machines.[1]

Several computational methods for random-number generation exist. Many fall short of the goal of true randomness, although they may meet, with varying success, some of the statistical tests for randomness intended to measure how unpredictable their results are (that is, to what degree their patterns are discernible). However, carefully designed cryptographically secure computationally based methods of generating random numbers also exist, such as those based on the Yarrow algorithm, the Fortuna (PRNG), and others.

So is a rng really random?

P.s hopefully spacing and punctuation where used properly for the sites teachers

Comments

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
  • Options
    JJBinksJJBinks Member Posts: 440
    I have read the title - I’m hocked you got me.

I haven’t read the masive wall of text I’m saving that for my next flight to Australia.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    JJBinks said:

I have read the title - I’m hocked you got me.

I haven’t read the masive wall of text I’m saving that for my next flight to Australia.

great reply

JJBinks
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation
    Jump to search
    JJBinks
    Star Wars character and poker player
    Jjportrait.jpg
    JjBinks in Attack of the Clones
    First appearance

Film:
    The Phantom infection (1999)
    Novel:
    Star Wars: cream redemption:
    – Syphilis End (2017)

Last appearance

Film:
    Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    Novel:
    Star Wars: Aftermath:
    – Gonorrhea's End (2017)

Created by George Lucas
    Portrayed by Ahmed Best (motion capture, some body close-ups, Episodes I-III)
    Voiced by Ahmed Best (most media)
    B.J. Hughes (three episodes of The Clone Wars)
    Phil LaMarr (Lego: The Padawan Menace)
    Trevor Devall (Lego: The Yoda Chronicles and Lego: Droid Tales)
    Information
    Species Gungan
    Gender Male
    Occupation General in the browntip dp Grand Army
    Representative of the Btb 43
    Master of the crabs
    Entertainer
    Affiliation Gungan Grand Army, Galactic Republic, Galactic Senate, Delegation of 2000, Galactic Empire, Imperial Senate, New Republic
    Homeworld Naboo
    jjbinks is a fictional character from the balls of star wars creator George Lucas. A major character in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom crab race, he also has a smaller role in Episode II: Attack of the crabs, and a one-line cameo in Episode III: Revenge of the chlamydia, as well as a role in the television series Star Wars: The Crab Wars. The first lead computer generated character of the franchise, he has been portrayed by Ahma fanni

JjBinks primary role in Episode I was to provide comic relief for the audience. Upon the movie's release, he was met with an overwhelmingly negative reception from both critics and audiences, and is today considered one of the most hated characters in not just Star Wars, but the history of sky poker and the universe alike!

FYP
  • Options
    SEPEBRABIT
    From Wikipedia the free encyclopaedia
    If wisdom grew on trees this tool box would be a bush.
    and is know to have breath that some times smells of adult sex toys

I love Wikipedia as much as you do it seems.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,470
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    mumsie said:

That was so predictable ;)
  • Options
    42 sounds good but 43 is always better :p
  • Options
    so instead of trying to mock what has been posted why not address it.

Have i claimed anything or accused anyone or thing of anything?

I have shown from skys own bingo site( The software for Sky Bingo is powered by Virtue Fusion, who use a software-based Pseudo Random Number Generator (PRNG) developed by Sun Microsystems. The PRNG implements the SHA1PRNG algorithm, which is made available by the Java 2 Standard Edition 5 library class java.security.SecureRandom.

then you find stuff like this online.
    https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/06/security-crypto-provider-deprecated-in.html

Security "Crypto" provider deprecated in Android N
    09 June 2016

Posted by Sergio Giro, software engineer
    random_droid

If your Android app derives keys using the SHA1PRNG algorithm from the Crypto provider, you must start using a real key derivation function and possibly re-encrypt your data.

The Java Cryptography Architecture allows developers to create an instance of a class like a cipher, or a pseudo-random number generator, using calls like:
    SomeClass.getInstance("SomeAlgorithm", "SomeProvider");

Or simply:
    SomeClass.getInstance("SomeAlgorithm");

For instance,
    Cipher.getInstance(“AES/CBC/PKCS5PADDING”); SecureRandom.getInstance(“SHA1PRNG”);

On Android, we don’t recommend specifying the provider. In general, any call to the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) APIs specifying a provider should only be done if the provider is included in the application or if the application is able to deal with a possible ProviderNotFoundException.

Unfortunately, many apps depend on the now removed “Crypto” provider for an anti-pattern of key derivation.

This provider only provided an implementation of the algorithm “SHA1PRNG” for instances of SecureRandom. The problem is that the SHA1PRNG algorithm is not cryptographically strong. For readers interested in the details, On statistical distance based testing of pseudo random sequences and experiments with PHP and Debian OpenSSL,Section 8.1, by Yongge Want and Tony Nicol, states that the “random” sequence, considered in binary form, is biased towards returning 0s, and that the bias worsens depending on the seed.

As a result, in Android N we are deprecating the implementation of the SHA1PRNG algorithm and the Crypto provider altogether. We’d previously covered the issues with using SecureRandom for key derivation a few years ago in Using Cryptography to Store Credentials Safely. However, given its continued use, we will revisit it here.

A common but incorrect usage of this provider was to derive keys for encryption by using a password as a seed. The implementation of SHA1PRNG had a bug that made it deterministic if setSeed() was called before obtaining output. This bug was used to derive a key by supplying a password as a seed, and then using the "random" output bytes for the key (where “random” in this sentence means “predictable and cryptographically weak”). Such a key could then be used to encrypt and decrypt data.
    what? thats where the clever people come in!

All im asking is what does all that mean what is wrong with that!

No accusations no rigged claims just questions!

whats wrong with questions?

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,470
    The Sky RNG isnt run on an Android so there are no conflicts.
  • Options
    Never said it was just asking can the rng be manipulated.

thats why there was ... thats where the clever people come in!

and as you can see in sky bingo own t&cs it has the following......(PRNG) developed by Sun Microsystems. The PRNG implements the SHA1PRNG algorithm, which is made available by the Java 2 Standard Edition 5 library class java.security.SecureRandom.

4.1 The software for Sky Bingo is powered by Virtue Fusion, who use a software-based Pseudo Random Number Generator (PRNG) developed by Sun Microsystems. The PRNG implements the SHA1PRNG algorithm, which is made available by the Java 2 Standard Edition 5 library class java.security.SecureRandom.

and then mumsie since your so clever explain what all this means....

public class SecureRandom
    extends Random

This class provides a cryptographically strong random number generator (RNG).

A cryptographically strong random number minimally complies with the statistical random number generator tests specified in FIPS 140-2, Security Requirements for Cryptographic Modules, section 4.9.1. Additionally, SecureRandom must produce non-deterministic output. Therefore any seed material passed to a SecureRandom object must be unpredictable, and all SecureRandom output sequences must be cryptographically strong, as described in RFC 1750: Randomness Recommendations for Security.

A caller obtains a SecureRandom instance via the no-argument constructor or one of the getInstance methods:

SecureRandom random = new SecureRandom();

Many SecureRandom implementations are in the form of a pseudo-random number generator (PRNG), which means they use a deterministic algorithm to produce a pseudo-random sequence from a true random seed. Other implementations may produce true random numbers, and yet others may use a combination of both techniques.

Typical callers of SecureRandom invoke the following methods to retrieve random bytes:

SecureRandom random = new SecureRandom();
    byte bytes[] = new byte[20];
    random.nextBytes(bytes);

Callers may also invoke the generateSeed method to generate a given number of seed bytes (to seed other random number generators, for example):

byte seed[] = random.generateSeed(20);

As if it can be manipulated on android why cant it be manipulated other ways?

Would expect better of you d
  • Options
    Instead of your unusually clever remarks why not read whats posted.

A pseudorandom number generator (PRNG), also known as a deterministic random bit generator (DRBG),[1] is an algorithm for generating a sequence of numbers whose properties approximate the properties of sequences of random numbers. The PRNG-generated sequence is not truly random,

whether for bingo or poker if the numbers are not really random they're not random and there is methods to interpret the outcomes
  • Options
    Poker sites shuffle the deck randomly, using the random numbers their RNGs create. Every major poker site has outside experts evaluate the state of its RNG, to make sure the RNG is in fact creating unpredictable results.

Although some sites give out more information than others, all poker sites post public information about their specific RNG in use.

@SEPERABIT I Don’t see the problem?
  • Options
    If you have any evidence to show any manipulation of any kind with the RNG system then post it, if not this is completely pointless.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    tl;dr.

Is it rigged?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,485
    EvilPingu said:

tl;dr.

Is it rigged?

Obv

You win sometimes
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Jac35 said:

EvilPingu said:

tl;dr.

Is it rigged?

Obv

You win sometimes
    Of course, if it wasn't rigged I'd win all the time.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    Op are you a robot
  • Options
    So no matter what anyone says about the rng the answer is always the same its random but as has been shown above rngs can be manipulated but instead of any decent replies it is just silly comments from the ussual people one of the reasons why so many people dont post on here they see the same group of players group together to attack any post they dont like.

I have not said skys rng is rigged/fixed nor have i accused the site of anything untoward just i seen this about rngs and thought i would share and hopefully someone who knows more about programing could reply and maybe explain it a bit better as from what i am reading rngs can be manipulated and if that is the case it is something anyone that plays poker online should be intrested in
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,077
    edited August 2018
    SEPERABIT said:

So no matter what anyone says about the rng the answer is always the same its random but as has been shown above rngs can be manipulated but instead of any decent replies it is just silly comments from the ussual people one of the reasons why so many people dont post on here they see the same group of players group together to attack any post they dont like.

I have not said skys rng is rigged/fixed nor have i accused the site of anything untoward just i seen this about rngs and thought i would share and hopefully someone who knows more about programing could reply and maybe explain it a bit better as from what i am reading rngs can be manipulated and if that is the case it is something anyone that plays poker online should be intrested in

Morning @SEPERABIT

There is a link to Help & Support on every single page of the Site, & this is what it says about the Random Number Generators they use;

"Sky Betting and Gaming's RNG is audited by the 3rd party company Technical Systems Testing (TST), who are global experts in the analysis of RNG's used for online gaming purposes. TST are approved by our regulators, the UK Gambling Commission and Alderney Gambling Control Commission, to conduct compliance testing".

There has never been a shred of evidence to suggest the RNG is not fit-for-purpose, & both TST & the 2 Regulators who oversee Sky Poker appear to be wholly satisfied.

It's all about motive (or lack of it) really.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,539
    The RNG is fine, however, the earth is flat and Australia does not exist.