You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Top 3 TV series

MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
edited May 2014 in The Rail
We,ve had movies, music and something on TV programmes but as i recently cancelled my Sky TV subscription due to the amount of rubbish on TV these days i am looking online for something to watch in my spare time. I do have built in freeview but haven,t bothered tuning that in either as its mostly tosh or old repeats which i have seen.

I,m looking for a good series to which i can watch at my own pace from start to finish

Hopefully this thread will give me some ideas

My 3 favourites would have to be

1/ The Sopranos
2/ Band of Brothers
3/ Breaking Bad

Thx
Paul

I like almost anything to do with war and my 1st and 3rd choices were both classics that kept you riveted to your seat until the very last episode of the last seasons , which is the kind of thing i,m looking for now

Ps. Does anyone know or have any opinions on who killed Tony Soprano?  (There are some fascinating debates on it online even now - years after its finished. Apparently the last scene was thought of a cpl of years before they filmed it )  

Comments

• Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited February 2014
    The wire

Now I loved the soprans, but the wire is on another level entirely.  Immense storytelling, boss characters,  plots that slowly reveal and don't rely on cliffhangers and a whole city to immerse yourself in. Youll soon be talking like a hopper, yo. sheeeeeeeeett. 

The writer, david simon was asked if the show could have been made more mainstream and sucessful by simplifying, his response was : " f××× the casual viewer"

Nothing came close before or since.

Get on it, son.

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited February 2014
    My top 3 tv Series,but not your kind of thing mp33, Charmed,Dexter, Haven,:):):) piper, pheobe,paige, :):):) the charmed ones :):):)
  • Options
    bludreid11bludreid11 Member Posts: 490
    edited February 2014

1 the american civil war
    2 the world at war.

it shows the total waste of humanity, and the cruelty that man can inflict on his fellow man

3 through the wormhole, the amazing things that go on in space
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,170
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Top 3 TV series:
    We,ve had movies, music and something on TV programmes but as i recently cancelled my Sky TV subscription due to the amount of rubbish on TV these days i am looking online for something to watch in my spare time. I do have built in freeview but haven,t bothered tuning that in either as its mostly tosh or old repeats which i have seen. I,m looking for a good series to which i can watch at my own pace from start to finish Hopefully this thread will give me some ideas My 3 favourites would have to be 1/ The Sopranos 2/ Band of Brothers 3/ Breaking Bad Thx Paul I like almost anything to do with war and my 1st and 3rd choices were both classics that kept you riveted to your seat until the very last episode of the last seasons , which is the kind of thing i,m looking for now Ps. Does anyone know or have any opinions on who killed Tony Soprano?  (There are some fascinating debates on it online even now - years after its finished. Apparently the last scene was thought of a cpl of years before they filmed it )  
    Posted by MP33
    I watched the last episode and nobody killed him!

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Top 3 TV series:
    The wire Now I loved the soprans, but the wire is on another level entirely.  Immense storytelling, boss characters,  plots that slowly reveal and don't rely on cliffhangers and a whole city to immerse yourself in. Youll soon be talking like a hopper, yo. sheeeeeeeeett.  The writer, david simon was asked if the show could have been made more mainstream and sucessful by simplifying, his response was : " f××× the casual viewer" Nothing came close before or since. Get on it, son. Cheers,  TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    +1
    Based on your top 3, you should love it.
  • Options
    SAV4BPSAV4BP Member Posts: 304
    edited February 2014
    1. Lost
    2. The Following
    3. The Blacklist (only 4 episodes so far but looking good)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Paul, a bit more light-heated than the shows you listed but have you tried Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's genius!

Boardwalk Empire is very good too.

And T.J Hoooker.

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2014
    HELLO LADIES.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    HELLO LADIES.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Brilliant innit!
    Loved the hot-tub scene in the latest UK episode.

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2014
    Top 3 is tough:

Quantum Leap
    Knight Rider
    Lost
  • Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited February 2014
    Teddy asked me to contribute, so...

In alphabetical order...

And bearing in mind that I'm only 4/5 of the way through Breaking Bad, so can't properly assess it...

My top 3 TV dramas of all time are...

The Sopranos
    The West Wing
    The Wire
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    edited February 2014
    The Sopranos
    Boardwalk Empire
    West Wing

Altho I've NOT seen Wire, 24, breaking bad yet.  Caught a bit of Walking Dead the other night and it looked ok.  ANyone got any views on it?

• Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    edited February 2014
    Oh how I miss the west wing,brilliant television it had everything, humour drama and the magnificent cast have you laughing and crying in equal measure depending on whether they won lost or drew the situations the y came across. Seasons one to three were the best but 4 through seven are very watchable. The wire was excellent although the last season seemed to be rushed to a finish but like all good tv series it makes you yearn for it once it has finished.
    Game of thrones is quite good although people keep getting bumped off at regular intervals.
    If you watch nothing else The West Wing is simply the best
  • Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2014
    Teddy asked me to contribute, so... In alphabetical order... And bearing in mind that I'm only 4/5 of the way through Breaking Bad, so can't properly assess it... My top 3 TV dramas of all time are... The Sopranos The West Wing The Wire
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    The Sopranos and The West Wing are fantastic, and if we're strictly talking TV drama, definitely top three.
  • Options
    jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2014

Sopranos, West Wing and 24.

24 was so good in last few seasons but first 3 season were excellent.

Walking dead, falling skies and boardwalk empire are 3 I'm really enjoying watching at the moment.

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2014
    Cheers Guys - Plenty there to take a look at. I,ll watch the trailors 1st and find out how many episodes there are although i,ll probably give "The Wire" a go or at least watch the 1st cpl of episodes. Never heard anything negative about it  

Suprised at how much stuff mentioned is American and yes Slipwater it is drmas i,m looking for (Should have put that in OP or title)

@ Noseybonk T.H Hoo ker has got to be wind up - yeah? Its so bad they,ve banned it from chatbox and posts :)  As for Tony I think he was definately killed. Its just hard to work it out as he had so many enemies by the end. Weird how the same group of cub scouts are sat in the Cafe who were also in the store when Bobby get shot 

I,ve seen adverts for the West Wing but wasn,t impressed but looks like i may be wrong

Never heard of "Hello Ladies" but will watch a trailor

I,ve seen bits of "The Boardwalk Empire" but it looks like you need to watch it from the start

As for Lost - I tried to get into it as the adverts looked great but again it looks like something you need to see from the start and i,ve read somewhere the last season or 2 were a let down which always annoying when you,ve watched the first series. Talking of witch that reminds me of "Heroes". Excellent 1st season but big letdown after that

@ James - Can,t see you being dissapointed withe last 1/5 of "Breaking Bad" . Talking off breaking Bad - i think it was during the first series where they had to cut it short due to the writers strike. Jesse Pinkman had been written out but this gave Vince Gilligan more time and he changed his mind keeping Aaron paul in it. Numerous awards and nominations later - seems like a gr8 move

I,ve seen "Curb your Enthusiasm" a few times and still couldn,t make my mind up about it. Its good some write ups as well 

I did try getting into "24"  but wasn,t for me

I,ll watch trailors for all the above mentioned but will probably start off with the Wire

Thx
    P

keep em coming tho - Not heard of some of the ones above

EDIT : Was goin to watch some trailors tonight but satted into the 2K BH so will start on them tommorow
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

going by your top 3 you may want to try an old HBO series called Oz.
    its nothing to with Kansas or Dorothy, its a prison drama that used to be on very late night on C4.

one I did buy as a box set was again a C4 series called Ultraviolet and is worth a watch.

on a completely different style, Still Game is as funny as it gets and there's a new series in the offing. well looking forward to that :)
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited February 2014
    Breaking Bad, Sopranos and 24
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited February 2014
    Two points about the wire:

Its hard to pick up the dialouge at first.

It not an instant fix. It doesnt have cliff hangers and after all the praise it can seem slow: the real juice flows when the story has been set up a few episodes in. 

Properly jealous of amyone watching it for the first time.

• Options
    ek-scottek-scott Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2014
    Dr Snuggles.
    Danger Mouse.
    He Man.

Scotty