You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

DYM tough spots

Sky_PokerSky_Poker Member Posts: 2,715
edited December 2021 in Strategy

A thread to post and discuss hands from DYMs...

Comments

• Options
    belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited February 2014
    My post?
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited February 2014

btn 5351
    sb 927
    bb 1975 Hero
    utg 3297

Blinds 150/300
    Your hole cards AdKd
    Sb posts 150, BB posts 300, utg folds, Btn All In 5371, sb folds, bb Hero?

In this situation with us being the bb, do we call?  Also, what is our range for calling here?

fwiw, this is just a scenario I have made up just to get this thread going.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,130
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM tough spots:
    btn 5351 sb 927 bb 1975 Hero utg 3297 Blinds 150/300 Your hole cards AdKd Sb posts 150, BB posts 300, utg folds, Btn All In 5371, sb folds, bb Hero? In this situation with us being the bb, do we call?  Also, what is our range for calling here? fwiw, this is just a scenario I have made up just to get this thread going.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Conventional wisdom says we have to call, we have AK.

Me? Nah, I think I let it go, we can find better spots if we need to. The SB has just over 2 Bigs after Posting his SB, he's very vulnerable.

In these things I think it is SO important to be "stack aware", & try to find the path of least resistance. I'd MUCH rather be the shover than the Caller. I'd be happy to shove here if we were first to act, though. Not so much call, though.

I just think shoving is SO much better than calling here. We probably don't get called 60 to 70% of the time, & if we do, we can't be in bad shape.

FOLD

PS - The kids will not like that.....;)
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited February 2014
    I'm very much a "fold" person in that situation too, if it was the Small Blind shoving then yes, I'd call, but with AK in that spot you're probably flipping at best and I reckon you have a better than 50% chance of cashing if you pass this one.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm very much a "fold" person in that situation too, if it was the Small Blind shoving then yes, I'd call, but with AK in that spot you're probably flipping at best and I reckon you have a better than 50% chance of cashing if you pass this one.
    Posted by FCHD
    Yes.

I think, in these spots, we throw away the textbook as to ranges & the like, & instead look "wider", at where we are in the SNG.

Why go to war when we don't need to?

Why call when we'd rather open?

So often, it's not about hand v hand, its more a case of being aware of what everyone else has, the stack dynamic.

In poker, as in life, WE should choose when we go to war, not do so on someone else's terms. I want to be the shover, not the caller, the boys are going to have to play me on MY terms, when it suits ME.

Calling with the AK is not terrible, but I'd just fold.

Better to shove with a lesser hand thast be a caller, imo.  

• Options
    edited February 2014
    So what would be your calling range in this situation? QQ+?
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited February 2014
    I think it's a fold in a double your money and a call in a normal SNG. Or atleast that is how I would do it. 

Similar spot yesterday in a freeroll MTT. 5 people get a seat in a £10 MTT and there were 10 left. I'm the big stack and on the button, I shove with AQ, the short stack folds in the SB and the guy who was in 3rd place calls with AK.

It worked out for him, he doubled up and I became a short stack. He did risk going out though when he didn't need to. I was quite suprised he called even with the hand he had when he probably could have folded his way to a prize. Still the same could have been said for me :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    btn 5351 sb 927 bb 1975 Hero utg 3297 Blinds 150/300 Your hole cards AdKd Sb posts 150, BB posts 300, utg folds, Btn All In 5371, sb folds, bb Hero? In this situation with us being the bb, do we call?  Also, what is our range for calling here? fwiw, this is just a scenario I have made up just to get this thread going.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Perfect example, thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    I suppose so, almost reluctantly, yes. Not with any great enthusiasm though. OK, we are 95% sure our hand is ahead, but there are such things as ouutdraws. I never get outdrawn when I force them all to fold pre..... 

I know it sounds silly, but I just think we get such an advantage by being the shover not the caller. The difference in DYM's is huge. We don't need much of a hand to shove, either.

So yes, I'd obv call with Q-Q, but I'd rather shove with far less.  

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I think it's a fold in a double your money and a call in a normal SNG. Or atleast that is how I would do it.  Similar spot yesterday in a freeroll MTT. 5 people get a seat in a £10 MTT and there were 10 left. I'm the big stack and on the button, I shove with AQ, the short stack folds in the SB and the guy who was in 3rd place calls with AK. It worked out for him, he doubled up and I became a short stack. He did risk going out though when he didn't need to. I was quite suprised he called even with the hand he had when he probably could have folded his way to a prize. Still the same could have been said for me :)
    Posted by salazar
    100% all of that. I'd much rather shove with AQ than call with AK.
  • Options
    ThoichThoich Member Posts: 75
    edited February 2014
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    I will no doubt get called a nit here but my calling range in that spot would be AA only. 

Even with KK vs Ax you will lose ~30%, and you are not always gauretneed to cash if you double up in this spot (although very likely). 

Whereas if you just nit it up you chances of losing is probably lower than 30% (there's some ICM math that can be applied here but I have no idea how to do it) 

Incidently there are some spots where even AA might be a correct fold on DYM bubbles. For example:

Blinds 100/200

UTG: 300
    BU: 450
    SB: 3500
    BB (hero): 1750

If SB shoves here I would for sure be folding AA. Whether this is the correct play or not I am not sure..?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM tough spots : I will no doubt get called a nit here but my calling range in that spot would be AA only.  Even with KK vs Ax you will lose ~30%, and you are not always gauretneed to cash if you double up in this spot (although very likely).  Whereas if you just nit it up you chances of losing is probably lower than 30% (there's some ICM math that can be applied here but I have no idea how to do it)  Incidently there are some spots where even AA might be a correct fold on DYM bubbles. For example: Blinds 100/200 UTG: 300 BU: 450 SB: 3500 BB (hero): 1750 If SB shoves here I would for sure be folding AA. Whether this is the correct play or not I am not sure..?
    Posted by Thoich
    This would be a very interesting spot for sure!
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2014
    Depends how btn has been playing, if he raised alot Im calling if he wasnt raising alot Im folding.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    For example: Blinds 100/200 UTG: 300 BU: 450 SB: 3500 BB (hero): 1750 If SB shoves here I would for sure be folding AA. Whether this is the correct play or not I am not sure..?
    Posted by Thoich
    We have a situation whereby both btn and utg have ~1bb left and utg will be posting his big blind next hand.  Snap fold!  We do not need to get involved and put our dym life on the line just to collect an extra 8bbs.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM tough spots : We have a situation whereby both btn and utg have ~1bb left and utg will be posting his big blind next hand.  Snap fold!
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Yeah I think my example was a bit too obvious of an example. I wonder what size stacks btn and utg need for it to be less of a snap fold.

If they have 2 bigs and we have 7, def still folding.
    If they have 3 bigs and we have 6, not so sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM tough spots : Yeah I think my example was a bit too obvious of an example. I wonder what size stacks btn and utg need for it to be less of a snap fold. If they have 2 bigs and we have 7, def still folding. If they have 3 bigs and we have 6, not so sure.
    Posted by Thoich
    I think I'm still folding as the 'utg' will be posting his bb next leaving him with just 2bbs whilst we still have 6bbs and we may have the opportunity to shove our sb into his bb, providing nobody else has already opened.  If he were to call and we lost, well, we would now have 4bbs and he would also have 4bbs with the other guy on 3bbs.

ICM will be really close for either a call/fold.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited February 2014
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Close spot. It's more about figuring out what equity we reckon we'd need to call here. If we call and win, then we should assume we're going to cash 95% of the time. So suppose we have 60% equity then by calling we are guaranteed to cash 57% of the time but we will also go out 40% of the time. That means for folding to be correct we need to know that by folding we will cash more than 40% of the time. SB is short but one double up and we are level. Also next hand SB is BTN and can shove and increase his stack to just shy of 1400 with us down to 1825 if neither us or UTG pick up a hand we want to call with. Thus I estimate our cashing chances of being close to 40% if we fold now. Meaning with 60% equity it's a decision we could go either way with.

With AK against a loosish shoving range of 88+, KJ, KQ, A8+ we have around 60% equity. So if you think they are shoving even looser than this then you I would definitely call. With QQ against the same range we have 65% equity and so with QQ I think it has to be a call. Both KK and AA are easy calls because we have over 70% equity with both hands and I don't think we can cash at least 30% of the time if we fold here. 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM tough spots : Close spot. It's more about figuring out what equity we reckon we'd need to call here. If we call and win, then we should assume we're going to cash 95% of the time. So suppose we have 60% equity then by calling we are guaranteed to cash 57% of the time but we will also go out 40% of the time. That means for folding to be correct we need to know that by folding we will cash more than 40% of the time. SB is short but one double up and we are level. Also next hand SB is BTN and can shove and increase his stack to just shy of 1400 with us down to 1825 if neither us or UTG pick up a hand we want to call with. Thus I estimate our cashing chances of being close to 40% if we fold now. Meaning with 60% equity it's a decision we could go either way with. With AK against a loosish shoving range of 88+, KJ, KQ, A8+ we have around 60% equity. So if you think they are shoving even looser than this then you I would definitely call. With QQ against the same range we have 65% equity and so with QQ I think it has to be a call. Both KK and AA are easy calls because we have over 70% equity with both hands and I don't think we can cash at least 30% of the time if we fold here. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I just ran this exact scenario using ICM poker calculator, with the btn shoving 100% hands and it says that we can only profitably call with KK+ and KK is marginal.  If we call off with AKs we are losing -3.92 which is very big.

Here is the link http://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#cepJ

Here is the link for if btn is pushing only 25% http://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#JsSu
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited February 2014
    Really? Interesting. Surely BTN can massively exploit this by shoving every hand though?  I struggle to see how QQ is a fold if BTN is shoving 100%. I mean QQ has 80% equity vs a 100% range which means if we call with QQ we are going to cash (lets be a bit more pessimistic and say calling means we only cash 80% of the time) Then calling means we cash 66% of the time. Surely we have less than 66% chance of cashing if we fold in this spot?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Great website there, and interesting result. shame you can only do 3 searches a day! When it says -3.92 is that reffering to BBs? Very interesting that AK is that big of a mistake.

I guess it does mean we are very easy to exploit, but I guess it would take a very long time for btn to work out our calling range was so narrow (unless he reads this).