You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

AK and AQ

chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
edited December 2021 in Strategy
I feel like pople are playing slightly differently than they used to a couple of years ago... Its just a gut feeling, I have nothing other than that at the moment...

People dont seem to be 3betting and calling all in's with AQ anywhere near as much. Instead of thinking "AQ is ahead of their range, I'll 3bet" people now think more along the lines of "AQ is ahead of their range, but I will flat his raise in position to keep the hands I dominate from folding, and potentially win a big pot". I'm just talking in general here, obviously there are still plenty of occasions when people 3bet AQ etc, but in my opinion the general trend is towards a more passive line preflop.

Would you agree with my observation?? or am I talking out my @rse?

This then lead to a further question...should you be less inclined to try and get it in with AK? It feels like I bust tournies alot with AK. Outside of the usual blind v blind/ button vs blind antics, it seems rare to get it in vs anything other than a PP of some kind. Without many hands that we dominate, should we be more inclined to flat a 3bet for example rather than 4betting.

I'll give you an example of what I mean...

superoller, you have 35bb and raise from mid position to 2bb with AK
villain has you covered, and 3bets to 6bb. Villain isn't overly agro, and has a reasonably tight 3betting range.

...flat, shove or fold?

Comments

• Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited March 2014
    i like flattting with AQ to be honest like you mention to keep hands we dominate in, depends were the raise comes from though aswell but i do like flatting when +40bbs deep in position, just my personal view though. if someone raises from the button or cut off though im 3 betting nearly all the time.

i dont fold ak to be honest even to a nit so i 4 bet lol
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited March 2014
    i've been reading the "tournament poker, one hand at a time' series. think it's by rizen and pearljammer is those names mean ouhgt to ye. they advocate a very low variance and at times passive approach with AQ and often AK.

the main argument being that early in a tournament, when there are lots of poor [relative to their high standsards] players still in, a seat in the tournament at that stage is more valuable than the few chips in ev you gain by comitting / 3betting with hands like AK and AQ. they even go further and in the book fold top pair second kicker when out of position against a single bet v tricky players OOP etc.

i've seen it here myself. in DTD last month i had the pleasure of having one of the sites big-hitters on my left. even when folded to me in the SB he flatted AKs and AQo v my raise into his BB. its likely a measure of the post flop edge that he has.

he prolly feels that the proposition of engineering a flip situation or picking up my raise is less valuable than having position, a strong range and a disguised hand v someone he has solid edge on.

certianly made playing ace high flops a nightmare against him.

-------

re your senario:

much of the value of AK comes from fold equity. you're right that if we have little fold equity AND dominated hands like AQ, AJ KQs aren't three bet / calling then jamming AK becomes less attractive over a three-bet. but i guess it's summat we have to do, certainly OOP. IP can we flat? just seems so meh and passive?

i'm jamming personally, but am more than open to being wrong.

---------

another question who would you rather play against:

someone who is passive v raises pre: flats a lot of raises, 3 bets a polarised range that is weighted to value and whose range can be strong on a wide variety of board textures post flop

or

someone who is aggressive v raises pre: 3bets you liberally, has an expanded value range that make it hard to 4 bet bluff, is often weak on ace high boards in single raised pots

does it change if you are IP or OP?

should that inform our own playing style when facing a raise?
  • Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: AK and AQ:
    i like flattting with AQ to be honest like you mention to keep hands we dominate in, depends were the raise comes from though aswell but i do like flatting when +40bbs deep in position, just my personal view though. if someone raises from the button or cut off though im 3 betting nearly all the time. i dont fold ak to be honest even to a nit so i 4 bet lol
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Funny.

In Response to Re: AK and AQ : Funny. On the final table of the £22 deepstack last night you raised me pre-flop and I called with AQ. You had A10 and the hand was split. Afterwards you said I should've three-bet pre to get it in! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: AK and AQ : Funny. In Response to Re: AK and AQ : Funny. On the final table of the £22 deepstack last night you raised me pre-flop and I called with AQ. You had A10 and the hand was split. Afterwards you said I should've three-bet pre to get it in! ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    yeah we were both playing around 12-15 bbs or something though and u were out of position, bit different wouldnt u say? button open, u in sb its a crime not to get all ur chips in the middle pre in this spot in my view, and i was only saying it in jest by the way because i was tired and wanted the game done, i wasnt being funny or anything.
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited March 2014
    Think it's fashionable these days to 3-bet a slightly more polarised range.

I think the majority of players flat AQ + JJ as a default now. (May be wrong, just my experience)

In your example I'd be factoring in villain's position/stack size/image into my decision. Readless I still think 4-bet Gii is optimal.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Think it's fashionable these days to 3-bet a slightly more polarised range. I think the majority of players flat AQ + JJ as a default now. (May be wrong, just my experience) In your example I'd be factoring in villain's position/stack size/image into my decision. Readless I still think 4-bet Gii is optimal.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    You may well be right, but I'm almost always three-betting jacks.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: AK and AQ : yeah we were both playing around 12-15 bbs or something though and u were out of position, bit different wouldnt u say? button open, u in sb its a crime not to get all ur chips in the middle pre in this spot in my view, and i was only saying it in jest by the way because i was tired and wanted the game done, i wasnt being funny or anything.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I know, mate :)

As far as three-betting AQ is concerned though. It's one of my most hated starting hands, because it seems to get me in a lot of trouble, so I am generally very cautious with it. I'm far more likely to three-bet with AJ than I am with AQ.
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited March 2014
    In Response to AK and AQ:
    superoller, you have 35bb and raise from mid position to 2bb with AK villain has you covered, and 3bets to 6bb. Villain isn't overly agro, and has a reasonably tight 3betting range. ...flat, shove or fold?
    Posted by chicknMelt
    What position is villain 3betting us from?  If we have position on him I'll flat, but if OOP I'll 4bet jam.  Flatting OOP would be terrible and imo a serious leak given these stack sizes.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sorry, i meant to say in the example the villain 3bets from the bb - so you have position

• Options
    edited March 2014
    sorry, i meant to say in the example the villain 3bets from the bb - so you have position
    Posted by chicknMelt
    So with position I'm flatting but this is weighted so much on what villains 3bet range is.  He has to have mid PPs and AQ in his 3bet range for me to do this.  This could also be a leak to a degree, so much depends on what we perceive villains 3bet range to be. 

This is a good topic that you've made as I have noticed recently that whenever I am 4bet jamming AK I'm usually always walking into a pocket pair mainly JJ+ and sometimes AK.  The times they fold I guess I'm folding out AJ-AQ (hands we crush) and low PPs.

Could it be profitable to flat the 3bet IP?

Let's say blinds are 100/200, both have 7k effective stacks, we flat the 3bet, pot is 2500 and villain leads for 1200

Flop:
    A58r - Villain probably cbets and gives up once we call
    8h3c2c - Villain cbets we fold? villain chks to allow us to bet our AK, AQ
    TQ4r - Can we get villain to fold 88-99 here? That's if he has this in his 3bet range

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if we flat the 3bet, will there be more favourable flops for us than against?  Obviously if villain has AQ, AJ then we have him crushed, but in your scenario with him having a tight 3bet range I would guess it would be something more like JJ+, AK
  • Options
    12671267 Member Posts: 936
    edited March 2014
    good question.  Think flatted AK is far too weak tho in general, really thins 3-betting range aswell ?

I do love exiting a tourne with AK though, i must say.  The classic 'ahh well i had AK, what ya gunna do'  
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited March 2014
    good question.  Think flatted AK is far too weak tho in general, really thins 3-betting range aswell ? I do love exiting a tourne with AK though, i must say.  The classic 'ahh well i had AK, what ya gunna do'  
    Posted by 1267
    Oh yes! I think most MTT players know that if they pick up AK with 30bb or less, there is a very real chance that this could be their last hand in said tournament.
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited March 2014
    AK and AQ are the two hands that i think help QQ-1010 get called by weaker pairs preflop and also tempt them to sometimes call a cbet on the flop.
    AK is a hand i take a step further and do a 4betting as that could get some to do jamming with QQ and if i have KK i have better chance of going all in ahead.

3 betting with AK AQ could get more QQ and JJ to 4bet allowing KK to get itself ahead more often.
    4 bet shoving with AK i see as a way of allowing the vunerable JJ and QQ to feel safer now that some middle pairs might call.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    AK and AQ are the two hands that i think help QQ-1010 get called by weaker pairs preflop and also tempt them to sometimes call a cbet on the flop. AK is a hand i take a step further and do a 4betting as that could get some to do jamming with QQ and if i have KK i have better chance of going all in ahead. 3 betting with AK AQ could get more QQ and JJ to 4bet allowing KK to get itself ahead more often. 4 bet shoving with AK i see as a way of allowing the vunerable JJ and QQ to feel safer now that some middle pairs might call.
    Posted by craigcu12
    i dont understand a word of this mate
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: AK and AQ : i dont understand a word of this mate
    Posted by THEROCK573
    if we were just flatting AK and AQ but 3betting with JJ QQ KK and AA, when we doing them cbets on the flop the opponents who are making notes will be able to get away from flop so easy with the middle pairs even when those too are over cards because it's quite obvious we have premium pairs.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: AK and AQ : if we were just flatting AK and AQ but 3betting with JJ QQ KK and AA, when we doing them cbets on the flop the opponents who are making notes will be able to get away from flop so easy with the middle pairs even when those too are over cards because it's quite obvious we have premium pairs.
    Posted by craigcu12
    just because we flat AK and AQ at times doesnt mean that theres only premium hands in our 3 bet range, (shouldnt be anyway)
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited March 2014
    Fwiw, the hand in the OP I think is a stonewall flat, getting it in can only be bad imo.

If he's got a pretty tight 3b range and isn't particularly aggro, especially when stacks are shallow and it's the super roller he's never 3betting hands that we wouldn't mind getting him to fold like 88-99, apart from the odd AQ (which not everyone 3bets) we're probably getting vvv few folds and will never be getting it in better than a flip (or a chop with AK). Also I think 35xBB is pretty big to ship over a 6xBB 3bet.

I'll be more aggro in later stages but I definitely think it's good to flat AK/AQ pre in the early stages of MTTs most of the time, assuming we're readless. Obviously against people we know we can flat or 3bet depending on how we view them.
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: AK and AQ : just because we flat AK and AQ at times doesnt mean that theres only premium hands in our 3 bet range, (shouldnt be anyway)
    Posted by THEROCK573
    If we are 3-betting a decent % and only 3-betting QQ+ for value then our range is heavily weighted towards bluff's. Good players can auto profit from 4-betting knowing were gonna fold soooo often. (Granted this is more important in cash)

• Options
    edited March 2014
    so many good replies - like it alot. Exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for :)

Teddy - as always, a brilliantly detailed and interesting response.

fwiw, i would almost always be 3betting AK, and only 3betting AQ if i know the villain will still call with hands I dominate... but my real question is about what to do when we are the ones facing the 3bet with AK.

As people have already highlighted, it does depend alot on who your opponent it, stack sizes, position etc. Having read the responses, my thoughts are: in the example, I think its probably right to flat... yes it seems a bit weak and just wrong... but IMO, its the best of a bad bunch of options. Shoving gets called by QQ+ and AK...we dont do well vs that range, flatting is still reasonably low vairence, and we hit the flop around 1/3 of the time when we have to put in 1/3 of the pot to call. There are only 3 combo's each of AA and KK since we hold a blocker to both, and when we hit the flop, that reduces possible combos further. Still, it would be an interesting decision if we flatted, hit a K high flop and faced a flop cbet and turn shove or something.

In general, OOP, i think 4betting AK is still correct. IP, I think we have to flat the 3bet around half of the time and 4bet the other half, depending on position, opponent etc. in the example, I think a flat is correct, whereas, if we were on the button rather than mid position I'd 4bet.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    chicknmelt - What are we doing if let's say we flat pre starting the hand 7k effective and the flop comes down 8h3c2c and villain cbets say 1200 into 2500?  He's almost always going to cbet this board with AK, AQ.