You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How do you rate yourself?

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

There seems to be more & more posts slating bad players & the like so I thought I'd see what people really thought of their own skill level.

Personally, I see myself as just below average. One day with some luck on the night, I might well take down one of the 8pm tourneys but it's more than likely that I won't. And you know what, that's absolutely fine. I'm not a professional and there are certain things in the finer points of the game that I don't think I'll ever understand & that's why I'll always play the stakes that I do. I make a small profit the majority of the time to keep me ticking over & allow me to indulge in what is really nothing more than a hobby.

I understand the basics, the concept of pot odds (actual & implied) & the importance of position but sometimes, although I understand these things I don't always put them into practice (particularly the odds simply because I'm not all that great at maths). All of this means I know my own game has its limits which will affect not just me, but everyone else sat on my tables with me. I promise you that there will be times when I'll make a bad call & get lucky & there will also be times when I make a play at the wrong time and get lucky (as I did earlier & was promptly berated by someone at the table who wasn't even involved in the hand!). However, for every time I get it in with the worst of it I know for a fact that I'm gonna lose more than I win in those situations.

Having said all that, I do have a decent understanding of what I'm doing so all I ask is that when I do get lucky please understand that it's the nature of the beast. 

Maybe it's just me but as frustrating as it is because no one likes losing, I just don't understand all the berating of playing standards that have gone on lately. 

Comments

• Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited December 2009
    i have not voted but there is alot of bad players and chancers around,but it is their money and they can do as they please with it.debs xx
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited December 2009
    lol i bet most put above average!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself?:
    lol i bet most put above average!!!!
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    That's fine if that's what people truly believe.
  • Options
    Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2009
    Interesting -

I would rate my self as perhaps slightly above average overall but some areas of my game below average and some above :P.

A little self-confidence will never hurt anyone because its an individual game 99% of the time no else at the table will be rooting for you to beat them lets face it. Sitting down at a table and not believing you can win has already hndered your chances.
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2009
    In Response to How do you rate yourself?:
    There seems to be more & more posts slating bad players & the like so I thought I'd see what people really thought of their own skill level. Personally, I see myself as just below average. One day with some luck on the night, I might well take down one of the 8pm tourneys but it's more than likely that I won't. And you know what, that's absolutely fine. I'm not a professional and there are certain things in the finer points of the game that I don't think I'll ever understand & that's why I'll always play the stakes that I do. I make a small profit the majority of the time to keep me ticking over & allow me to indulge in what is really nothing more than a hobby. I understand the basics, the concept of pot odds (actual & implied) & the importance of position but sometimes, although I understand these things I don't always put them into practice (particularly the odds simply because I'm not all that great at maths). All of this means I know my own game has its limits which will affect not just me, but everyone else sat on my tables with me. I promise you that there will be times when I'll make a bad call & get lucky & there will also be times when I make a play at the wrong time and get lucky (as I did earlier & was promptly berated by someone at the table who wasn't even involved in the hand!). However, for every time I get it in with the worst of it I know for a fact that I'm gonna lose more than I win in those situations. Having said all that, I do have a decent understanding of what I'm doing so all I ask is that when I do get lucky please understand that it's the nature of the beast.  Maybe it's just me but as frustrating as it is because no one likes losing, I just don't understand all the berating of playing standards that have gone on lately. 
    Posted by silentbob
    I have recently discovered the Sharkscope website and  was very interested to see what my rsting wa (50) 2 weeks ago and pleased that it has improved to 52 since then. Aren't those stats the most accurate way to determine how good each player is? I got flamed in a previous post because I quotes 3 other plaers' stats without asking permission so I won't do it here but, SilentBob, since we are tod that 99% of payers lose money you must be in the top 1% and, therefore well above average!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
    edited December 2009

What a fine Post by SilentBob. He should speak up more.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to How do you rate yourself? : I have recently discovered the Sharkscope website and  was very interested to see what my rsting wa (50) 2 weeks ago and pleased that it has improved to 52 since then. Aren't those stats the most accurate way to determine how good each player is? I got flamed in a previous post because I quotes 3 other plaers' stats without asking permission so I won't do it here but, SilentBob, since we are tod that 99% of payers lose money you must be in the top 1% and, therefore well above average!!!!!!
    Posted by Seagull158
    What makes you say that? Maybe I didn't word my OP very well but I haven't made that much! FWIW, If you're going off my scope stats then as reasonable as they look I also play a fair bit of cash too so they certainly don't show the whole picture. TBH, I personally don't tend to take too much notice of scope stats as I don't think they show a very accurate picture.
  • Options
    35suited35suited Member Posts: 2,332
    edited December 2009
    I put below average, i can play great poker for an hour or 2 then in 5 minutes of madness ill blow 2 hours good work, if i could cut those 5 minutes out id have probasblyvoted average
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited December 2009
    In Response to How do you rate yourself? : I have recently discovered the Sharkscope website and  was very interested to see what my rsting wa (50) 2 weeks ago and pleased that it has improved to 52 since then. Aren't those stats the most accurate way to determine how good each player is? I got flamed in a previous post because I quotes 3 other plaers' stats without asking permission so I won't do it here but, SilentBob, since we are tod that 99% of payers lose money you must be in the top 1% and, therefore well above average!!!!!!
    Posted by Seagull158
    Being slightly above average might mean you lose slightly less than the average player loses.
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited December 2009
    I put above average slightly as I have turned a profit so far both online and live.

Sharkscope is useless as it doesn't recognise satellites and as I only enter the open via satellite if I lose I show -11 instead of -2.40

Also when you win an entry etc that goes as -22 or -33 when I was TV guest for example.

My own records show a profit of double what sharkscope says.

So I reckon slightly above average but depends what average is?

Dave

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited December 2009
    Every single poster who moans about bad players, are bad players themselves but are oblivious to it.
  • Options
    ness4ness4 Member Posts: 388
    edited December 2009

Average Joe =]

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Every single poster who moans about bad players, are bad players themselves but are oblivious to it.
    Posted by scotty77
    Interesting. TBH Scotty, this is kinda why I started this thread really. As I said in my OP, I'm certainly not a great player & am interested in how others see themselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself? : Interesting. TBH Scotty, this is kinda why I started this thread really. As I said in my OP, I'm certainly not a great player & am interested in how others see themselves.
    Posted by silentbob
    well if you understand poker, you should have a grasp of variance which will mean that you will realise all the bad beats will even out.

however i do play a lot of poker, and hvae done for many years. i still get tilted by bad beats sometimes, especially if they come in hand after hand.

i imagine that they would be even more tilting if i only played a couple of times a week to 'chill out'.  maybe i would have less respect for variance and be more inclinded to moan about it

IMO the bad beat threads aren't that bad.  the ones that wind me up ar ethe OMFG sky is so rigged/LOLUFOLD is superuser etc.  the people that post them should have their accoutns deleted by sky for their sheer stupidity.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Posted by scotty77
    absolute rubbish.ive seen you in the chatbox b4 after a donk call and youve commented on it.does that make you a bad player?i think not.debs xx
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself? : well if you understand poker, you should have a grasp of variance which will mean that you will realise all the bad beats will even out. however i do play a lot of poker, and hvae done for many years. i still get tilted by bad beats sometimes, especially if they come in hand after hand. i imagine that they would be even more tilting if i only played a couple of times a week to 'chill out'.  maybe i would have less respect for variance and be more inclinded to moan about it IMO the bad beat threads aren't that bad.  the ones that wind me up ar ethe OMFG sky is so rigged/LOLUFOLD is superuser etc.  the people that post them should have their accoutns deleted by sky for their sheer stupidity.
    Posted by scotty77
    now youve just contradicted ure last post.make ure mind up.debs xx
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself? : What makes you say that? Maybe I didn't word my OP very well but I haven't made that much! FWIW, If you're going off my scope stats then as reasonable as they look I also play a fair bit of cash too so they certainly don't show the whole picture. TBH, I personally don't tend to take too much notice of scope stats as I don't think they show a very accurate picture.
    Posted by silentbob
    Most players lose moneyso any player who makes an overall profit must be well above average. If it is accurate that 99% of players lose money, then anyone making a profit is in top 1%. If only 75% lose money then anyone making a profit is on top25%. Simple, not average!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself? : absolute rubbish.ive seen you in the chatbox b4 after a donk call and youve commented on it.does that make you a bad player?i think not.debs xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    i usually play too many tables to have chat on.  if i have one table up usually ill type LOL or NH.

if i have ha da couple of drinks i might go a bit further
  • Options
    rats107rats107 Member Posts: 230
    edited December 2009
    Most players lose moneyso any player who makes an overall profit must be well above average. If it is accurate that 99% of players lose money, then anyone making a profit is in top 1%. If only 75% lose money then anyone making a profit is on top25%. Simple, not average!

i'm a well below average player who plays a reasonable amount, at the minute i'm showing a slight profit but in the end i'll lose it. (Have won an 8 pm and final tabled through luck,so  it's far from impossible silentbob!)  

At the end of the day poker is a hobby as far as i'm concerned and i'm willing to pay a certain amount to take part in it while others are not,which leads to moaning when we hit the bad times imo, just play with what you are willing to lose if u manage to not make a loss its fun for free, isn't it? 
  • Options
    mabsuemabsue Member Posts: 382
    edited December 2009
    i would rate my play as slightly above average i have had a good year live and online i am about 5k up  so thats pretty good in my opinion but i aint no star to many small mistakes cost me dear at important times worse online live i am better when i apply myself i was down to 1400 chips this week and went on to win a 75 runner 12000 chip deepstack tourny so i cant be all bad lol