You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How do you rate yourself?

Comments

• Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited December 2009

Average in this case is subjective. Average of what? Average compared to whom?

I'm the best player at home (the dog's asleep at the moment) so what should I click on. Good topic though and should liven up the forum a bit when it gets going............ oops sorry I see Scotty has already livened it up a bit :o)

• Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself?:
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself? : i usually play too many tables to have chat on.  if i have one table up usually ill type LOL or NH. if i have ha da couple of drinks i might go a bit further
    Posted by scotty77
    lmao that was a really good reply.take care debs xx
  • Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited December 2009
    many people on ere certainly think they are way way better than they actually are! they play typical abc poker and think others should be playing exactly the same way! sure i totally agree some of the calls some people make are absolutly baffling but at the end of the day its there money and they can do with it as they wish! it actually makes me laugh when i see some people on here criticising other peoples games when them themselves have have a very limited understanding of the game, and have no ability to play hands other than the premiums in the same obvious way down the streets! and then cant understand when there pocket aces got busted by someone who called pre-flop with 7-8 suited!...its funny when a player like lolufold  who i believe was chip leader going into day2 in wsop? gets criticised and called a 'fish' or 'donk' by some people on this forum who obviously think they are awesome-but in reality will never get above or think beyond a certain level!! stick to ya typical, obvious, standard abc poker ;-) dunno how the good players will ever figure it or u out??
  • Options
    wooooshwoooosh Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2009
    Put below average although sharkscope says 69% and in profit. 

But I only play small stakes and am quite happy where I am at the moment - one day - may move up to bigger and better things.

The real answer is above average at the stakes I am playing - below average if I moved up a level, does that make sense?
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2009
    Put below average although sharkscope says 69% and in profit.  But I only play small stakes and am quite happy where I am at the moment - one day - may move up to bigger and better things. The real answer is above average at the stakes I am playing - below average if I moved up a level, does that make sense?
    Posted by woooosh
    Wooooosh, it makes sense but the only part of it that is fact is that you are above average for the level you play at. You don't know how good you are at the higher levels because you haven't played there.
  • Options
    wooooshwoooosh Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2009
    ooo ok maybe this year :) or next year should i say
  • Options
    tierceltiercel Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2009
    I have ended the year with more in my Sky account than when I started so I must be doing something right but I have a tendency to bang all in at the wrong time and call them just to prove I can't be bullied - instead I get battered so I rated myself slightly above average ( but at small buy-in MTTs ) .
    At cash I would be rubbish because I would be too conscious that I was playing with real money so I think the really good players would have to be good at bll disciplines.

n Response to How do you rate yourself?:
    There seems to be more & more posts slating bad players & the like so I thought I'd see what people really thought of their own skill level. Personally, I see myself as just below average. One day with some luck on the night, I might well take down one of the 8pm tourneys but it's more than likely that I won't. And you know what, that's absolutely fine. I'm not a professional and there are certain things in the finer points of the game that I don't think I'll ever understand & that's why I'll always play the stakes that I do. I make a small profit the majority of the time to keep me ticking over & allow me to indulge in what is really nothing more than a hobby. I understand the basics, the concept of pot odds (actual & implied) & the importance of position but sometimes, although I understand these things I don't always put them into practice (particularly the odds simply because I'm not all that great at maths). All of this means I know my own game has its limits which will affect not just me, but everyone else sat on my tables with me. I promise you that there will be times when I'll make a bad call & get lucky & there will also be times when I make a play at the wrong time and get lucky (as I did earlier & was promptly berated by someone at the table who wasn't even involved in the hand!). However, for every time I get it in with the worst of it I know for a fact that I'm gonna lose more than I win in those situations. Having said all that, I do have a decent understanding of what I'm doing so all I ask is that when I do get lucky please understand that it's the nature of the beast.  Maybe it's just me but as frustrating as it is because no one likes losing, I just don't understand all the berating of playing standards that have gone on lately. 
    Posted by silentbob
  • Options
    OnlyOneCTOnlyOneCT Member Posts: 1,181
    edited December 2009
    No comment lol!
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2009
    Average in this case is subjective. Average of what? Average compared to whom? I'm the best player at home (the dog's asleep at the moment) so what should I click on. Good topic though and should liven up the forum a bit when it gets going............ oops sorry I see Scotty has already livened it up a bit :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    That's a good question Elsa & if I'm being honest not something I thought too much about when I started this!

I suppose what I'm asking is really just general terms if that makes any sense?

FWIW, I think there are a fair few fantastic players on this site that obviously know their stuff particularly when it comes to the finer points of the game & I've got the utmost respect for them. Likewise though, I think there's also a fair few people on the site who clearly believe they're better players than what they are so it's quite interesting to see the results of the initial poll.

I really would like to know who voted world class though, lol
  • Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited December 2009
    I make a profit, so have gone for slightly above average. My MTT game is distinctly average, but I do okay at low level cash and sit n gos
  • Options
    MAZERAIDERMAZERAIDER Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2009
    Most players lose moneyso any player who makes an overall profit must be well above average. If it is accurate that 99% of players lose money, then anyone making a profit is in top 1%. If only 75% lose money then anyone making a profit is on top25%. Simple, not average! i'm a well below average player who plays a reasonable amount, at the minute i'm showing a slight profit but in the end i'll lose it. (Have won an 8 pm and final tabled through luck,so  it's far from impossible silentbob!)   At the end of the day poker is a hobby as far as i'm concerned and i'm willing to pay a certain amount to take part in it while others are not,which leads to moaning when we hit the bad times imo, just play with what you are willing to lose if u manage to not make a loss its fun for free, isn't it? 
    Posted by rats107
    im just rubbish at this game but i do look great at the table
  • Options
    trevil25trevil25 Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2009
    good post and we will have the loose players slating the tight and visa versa sigh.if you play within your bank roll year in year out then you are good no matter what level or format.it would be interesting to know how many do regards brett   
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited December 2009
    If you are a consistent winner in the games you play, no matter what level, then you can consider yourself above average.

This has to be calculated over a significant amount of time, to allow variance to take its toll, so id say if over a 12 month period you have consistently won and end the year you are in profit, then id feel id been successful.

I would say though that imo, you can never stop learning and studying your games for leaks!

You will always find better players than you! period! If you cant handle this and are driven by your ego, it doesnt matter how good you are, you will end up broke!

I aim to have an edge against the players i sit down at the table with, and always want to learn new 'plays' to improve! Im in profit so id say above average.

Dan
  • Options
    Loki-RogyLoki-Rogy Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2009
    I would say under-average.

Going to try to play more in 2010 to develop my game, but at the moment it's not exactly multi-dimensional.

I've read a few books and have a good grasp of the basics.

However, I feel I do have an above average reaction to "bad beats" and rarely tilt, so there is not much fluctuation to my natural game.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited December 2009
    I voted myself as below average because the description...

Slightly below average - I understand most things but have my mad moments which hold me back!

Describes me to a tee!!
  • Options
    35suited35suited Member Posts: 2,332
    edited December 2009
    Can i vote again please??? want to vote for complette muppet after the way ive played tonight :(
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2010
     Definitely below average for me.  I believe that i know the in and outs of the game as well as any but i lack the skills required to use them properly.

On a slightly different issue, a couple of years ago they conducted a poll of drivers to see how they rated their driving abilities and the results said so much about the human ego.  20% said average and 80% said above average.
  • Options
    major1962major1962 Member Posts: 178
    edited January 2010
    Great thread, im like a couple on here who play well for a while then donk chips if i feel im getting bullied and the  go out within a few hands of the 2nd break.
    Im still learning but have had a few successes in the main 8pm's and 9/9.30/10pm's so im well in profit but consider myself as below average, havent voted as not sure how lol
    I wish i could be mentored, but i dont play consistently enough to be taken seriously
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited January 2010
    I have voted for below average even though during the 2 1/2 years I have been playing on Sky I have about £150 profit.
    I only play the low limit STT and a MTT if I have had a good run and can Sat into the main events or play a low entry fee MTT.
    I have cashed in at least one MTT every month for the last 6 months, most of them small amounts, but I have had bigger wins in 4 or 5 which helps with the profit margin.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited January 2010
    This is turning out to be really good.

It's so interesting to see how people interpret how good/bad their own game is. Now here's another thought, how different is each person's view on their own game compared to what others have in their notes about them?