You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

UKPC Qualification

DollieDollie Member Posts: 706
edited August 2014 in The Sky Poker Tour
Hi There,
I have been a regular on the SPT over the last 5 years, I luv 'em.  In their absence so far this year I have tried to qualify for the UKPC events in Nottingham.  I failed miserably earlier in the year, but am trying again this time.  I registered for the 7.15pm quarter final tonight and went to the lobby to see who the other entrants were.  I also looked out of curiosity who had already entered or qualified for the 9.15pm semi tonight.  To my surprise I saw a couple of names who were entered in the earlier quarter final.  So who is in the final on Sunday and again I found the same 2 names.  What about the main event in August I thought to myself?  Yes the same 2 names were there also!!
I don't want this to get personal in any way so no names.  I have come across these  players many times, they are regulars and in my opinion both well above average players and as such command my respect.  As they are better than average it is likely that they stand a better than 1 in 5 chance of finishing in the qualifying places.  It must be in their financial interests for them to play all these qualifiers.  Why else do it?  For the record one of these players "qualified" in both of tonight's games and presumably received cash as he was already in the next round.
Surely there must be a flaw in the rules that allows this to happen.  Each time anybody doing this "qualifies" they are depriving somebody else of getting through to the next round, possibly one of the lower stake players who would love a go at the "big time".  Just imagine somebody qualifying from a £1.60 satellite and getting through the quarter and then the semi and then hitting the bubble in the Sunday final (say 35 entrants and therefore no cash for the bubble).  It then turns out that somebody "qualified" for the main event again and the bubble player is deprived.
Isn't what is happening against the spirit of what Sky are trying to promote?  A chance for ALL regardless of level?
Interesting.
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited May 2014
    I see what you mean Dollie, there's people who have qualified through various routes at least 3 times already. But there's not a lot you can do about it, is there?

With the way the sats are stuctured, if I was good enough and rolled enough, I would probably do the same thing.
  • Options
    Dormy4Dormy4 Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2014
    As a qualifier I was informed by online chat that you cannot recieve a cash alternative to qualification, in the terms and conditions it says they have no cash value, more onfo. SKY pls.n Response to UKPC Qualification:
    Hi There, I have been a regular on the SPT over the last 5 years, I luv 'em.  In their absence so far this year I have tried to qualify for the UKPC events in Nottingham.  I failed miserably earlier in the year, but am trying again this time.  I registered for the 7.15pm quarter final tonight and went to the lobby to see who the other entrants were.  I also looked out of curiosity who had already entered or qualified for the 9.15pm semi tonight.  To my surprise I saw a couple of names who were entered in the earlier quarter final.  So who is in the final on Sunday and again I found the same 2 names.  What about the main event in August I thought to myself?  Yes the same 2 names were there also!! I don't want this to get personal in any way so no names.  I have come across these  players many times, they are regulars and in my opinion both well above average players and as such command my respect.  As they are better than average it is likely that they stand a better than 1 in 5 chance of finishing in the qualifying places.  It must be in their financial interests for them to play all these qualifiers.  Why else do it?  For the record one of these players "qualified" in both of tonight's games and presumably received cash as he was already in the next round. Surely there must be a flaw in the rules that allows this to happen.  Each time anybody doing this "qualifies" they are depriving somebody else of getting through to the next round, possibly one of the lower stake players who would love a go at the "big time".  Just imagine somebody qualifying from a £1.60 satellite and getting through the quarter and then the semi and then hitting the bubble in the Sunday final (say 35 entrants and therefore no cash for the bubble).  It then turns out that somebody "qualified" for the main event again and the bubble player is deprived. Isn't what is happening against the spirit of what Sky are trying to promote?  A chance for ALL regardless of level? Interesting. Cheers
    Posted by Dollie
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification:
    As a qualifier I was informed by online chat that you cannot recieve a cash alternative to qualification, in the terms and conditions it says they have no cash value, more onfo. SKY pls.n Response to UKPC Qualification :
    Posted by Dormy4
    That only applies to the main event seat.  No reference made to satellites.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited May 2014
    Hey Dollie

Pretty sure Sky will most likely be running further promos in June related to the UKPC.

Another chance to make the UKPC, may not be any use/ suitable for you, but i would check these out when they are announced in the next couple of days.

All the best with it
  • Options
    Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited May 2014
    I understand what your saying and I too feel the same way...

But on the other side of that. I would like to qualify knowing I have beat these players and would boost my own confedence and a sense of achievment in doing so.

And of course people seem to be very good at these and bring in income from these games, if it was I would do the same aswell.

But hopefully u will make it through gl on your quest and  hopefully see u there!!!
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    edited June 2014

Nice post Gordon.

Two more 'seats' in tonight's final went to ones who already had them. So cash equivalent was awarded. The bubble must hurt more I guess seeing that.

I get shot down in flames when i bring this up, but agree that it seems to be against the spirit of what Sky Poker are trying to achieve. Are they trying to fill seats or just run a sats for cash programme? As said, there is nothing against the rules ATM, so the players are taking advantage of it and fair play to them.....ish :)

I have fortunately bagged my seat and I really hope you and a few other familiar faces from the SPT's manage to get there to.

I will also become a massive hypocrite and play some all in sats, if they run, to try and earn some expenses money. 

Best of luck in your qualification quest Sir.
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited June 2014
    Nice post Gordon. Two more 'seats' in tonight's final went to ones who already had them. So cash equivalent was awarded. The bubble must hurt more I guess seeing that. I get shot down in flames when i bring this up, but agree that it seems to be against the spirit of what Sky Poker are trying to achieve. Are they trying to fill seats or just run a sats for cash programme? As said, there is nothing against the rules ATM, so the players are taking advantage of it and fair play to them.....ish :) I have fortunately bagged my seat and I really hope you and a few other familiar faces from the SPT's manage to get there to. I will also become a massive hypocrite and play some all in sats, if they run, to try and earn some expenses money.  Best of luck in your qualification quest Sir.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I really don't mind you naming me here Maxy.  I feel literally nothing to be ashamed of.  Yes I am one of the UKPC Sat Two.

To OP, FWIW much of the time when I register for a schedule I buy in direct for the target event as well as the satellites.  For instance yesterday I got cash for the Summer Roller Early Sat but it was my first sat entry to the Roller, I already bought in direct to it to save time/get out of the way if I bricked the sats.

Back to the UKPC sats and OP, I've gone over this from my point of view several times.  There are pros and cons to my side of the argument which I have previously gone in to at great length.  Fact is, the UKPC Final sat is an tournament I feel I have an edge in.  I feel it's a very good chance for me to make money in the long run.  I'm not going to shy away from that fact or be shy about it.  I hope everyone who wants to go gets a seat in this, there will be tons of promos here and on DTD's site in the lead up to the event so there will be so many chances.

I hope to see you at DTD Gordon and Maxy.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited June 2014
    In Response to UKPC Qualification:
    Hi There, I have been a regular on the SPT over the last 5 years, I luv 'em.  In their absence so far this year I have tried to qualify for the UKPC events in Nottingham.  I failed miserably earlier in the year, but am trying again this time.  I registered for the 7.15pm quarter final tonight and went to the lobby to see who the other entrants were.  I also looked out of curiosity who had already entered or qualified for the 9.15pm semi tonight.  To my surprise I saw a couple of names who were entered in the earlier quarter final.  So who is in the final on Sunday and again I found the same 2 names.  What about the main event in August I thought to myself?  Yes the same 2 names were there also!! I don't want this to get personal in any way so no names.  I have come across these  players many times, they are regulars and in my opinion both well above average players and as such command my respect.  As they are better than average it is likely that they stand a better than 1 in 5 chance of finishing in the qualifying places.  It must be in their financial interests for them to play all these qualifiers.  Why else do it?  For the record one of these players "qualified" in both of tonight's games and presumably received cash as he was already in the next round. Surely there must be a flaw in the rules that allows this to happen.  Each time anybody doing this "qualifies" they are depriving somebody else of getting through to the next round, possibly one of the lower stake players who would love a go at the "big time".  Just imagine somebody qualifying from a £1.60 satellite and getting through the quarter and then the semi and then hitting the bubble in the Sunday final (say 35 entrants and therefore no cash for the bubble).  It then turns out that somebody "qualified" for the main event again and the bubble player is deprived. Isn't what is happening against the spirit of what Sky are trying to promote?  A chance for ALL regardless of level? Interesting. Cheers
    Posted by Dollie

It's very easy to flip this round the other way.

Imagine you qualified to the £220 game from £1.60, but there aren't any people playing the sats for cash. Top 6 get a seat and 7th gets £220. You come 7th and 'only' get £220.... except if we'd had 4 people involved playing for cash you'd have got a seat.

It works both ways, they not only win seats, but they create seats (or 1/5th of a seat) by regging. Sure they have an edge over the field and will win more than 1in5 times, but that's the nature of poker that some players are better than others, and people will look to play games they make money from.

• Options
    Sir-GarySir-Gary Member Posts: 1,052
    edited June 2014
    So please make this clear. I have qualified for the 6Max ukpc I am pleased to say. If I were to play in the final on Sunday and qualify again, do I get nothing? do Sky just keep my £220, or should I say £1000, or do I get £1000 credited to my account?

• Options
    BARBIE59BARBIE59 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2014
    So please make this clear. I have qualified for the 6Max ukpc I am pleased to say. If I were to play in the final on Sunday and qualify again, do I get nothing? do Sky just keep my £220, or should I say £1000, or do I get £1000 credited to my account?
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    You will get 1k cash into account
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    edited June 2014

Good luck for the final on Sunday Gordon. Really hope you win a seat. 
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Good luck for the final on Sunday Gordon. Really hope you win a seat. 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks Alan, much appreciated.
  • Options
    grahamfo12grahamfo12 Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2014
    Nice post Gordon. Two more 'seats' in tonight's final went to ones who already had them. So cash equivalent was awarded. The bubble must hurt more I guess seeing that. I get shot down in flames when i bring this up, but agree that it seems to be against the spirit of what Sky Poker are trying to achieve. Are they trying to fill seats or just run a sats for cash programme? As said, there is nothing against the rules ATM, so the players are taking advantage of it and fair play to them.....ish :) I have fortunately bagged my seat and I really hope you and a few other familiar faces from the SPT's manage to get there to. I will also become a massive hypocrite and play some all in sats, if they run, to try and earn some expenses money.  Best of luck in your qualification quest Sir.
    Posted by MAXALLY

I've just read this I was informed by sky u can't win more than one seat or get cash I was text the only reason the qualifier do this is to thin the field
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification : You will get 1k cash into account
    Posted by BARBIE59
     Can I asked where u where informed u get the 1000 as I asked and was telt seat was not transferable nor can u collect the 1000 money
  • Options
    BARBIE59BARBIE59 Member Posts: 580
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification :  Can I asked where u where informed u get the 1000 as I asked and was telt seat was not transferable nor can u collect the 1000 money
    Posted by grahamfo12
    if u play the final on sunday and you are reg for the live game in notts if you were to get another seat they will give you the 1k into account sure some of the regs have done this in past finals
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification :  Can I asked where u where informed u get the 1000 as I asked and was telt seat was not transferable nor can u collect the 1000 money
    Posted by grahamfo12
    I think confusion may be about winning seats from promo's vs from satellites. I believe with some of the promo's cash alternatives were offered if you had a seat and for others no alternative was offered.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification : I think confusion may be about winning seats from promo's vs from satellites. I believe with some of the promo's cash alternatives were offered if you had a seat and for others no alternative was offered.
    Posted by MattBates
    hi thanks for the reply if youcant cash the seat of transfer the seat to another player is there a reason why so many of the qualifiyers are still playing if theres no financial gain ??? many thanks
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification : I really don't mind you naming me here Maxy.  I feel literally nothing to be ashamed of.  Yes I am one of the UKPC Sat Two. To OP, FWIW much of the time when I register for a schedule I buy in direct for the target event as well as the satellites.  For instance yesterday I got cash for the Summer Roller Early Sat but it was my first sat entry to the Roller, I already bought in direct to it to save time/get out of the way if I bricked the sats. Back to the UKPC sats and OP, I've gone over this from my point of view several times.  There are pros and cons to my side of the argument which I have previously gone in to at great length.  Fact is, the UKPC Final sat is an tournament I feel I have an edge in.  I feel it's a very good chance for me to make money in the long run.  I'm not going to shy away from that fact or be shy about it.  I hope everyone who wants to go gets a seat in this, there will be tons of promos here and on DTD's site in the lead up to the event so there will be so many chances. I hope to see you at DTD Gordon and Maxy.
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi I noticed your a regular player that plays in Ukpc sats if u win the big one on Sunday after allready having a seat do u collect the 1000 seat value or could u transfer the seat?? To another player 

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification : hi thanks for the reply if youcant cash the seat of transfer the seat to another player is there a reason why so many of the qualifiyers are still playing if theres no financial gain ??? many thanks
    Posted by grahamfo12
    For the sats you get the £ equivalent
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: UKPC Qualification : For the sats you get the £ equivalent
    Posted by MattBates
    Hi thanks for the reply so can I confirm that if I won a 220 final on Sunday your saying I'd get the 1000 seat value into my account