You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

staking

Comments

• Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: staking:
    If you are playng on Sky Poker, I strongly urge you to keep away from being staked, or staking anyone. It's effectively borrowing or lending money to play poker. Good players don't need it, bad players end up playing above their means. I have seen so much grief, pain, & money lost because of staking. I strongly advise againat ANYONE becoming involved in it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    staking is just another form of gambling,

just like opening a account on skypoker,

some players or stakers gamble more than they can afford,

so my best advice to a stakers is if you fancy a gamble,

keep it affordable and enjoy.

roborover

p.s. tk i thought sky were staking players in total player,

what the  differential between a poker site doing it,

and a player who can afford it,

that does not mind the gamble ,

win or lose ?

• Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010
    In fairness sky are giving away a prize one which they are not counting on any return from (although possible)
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In fairness sky are giving away a prize one which they are not counting on any return from (although possible)
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    yep but they are still promoting the pokersite,

so hence trying to get financial gain from it,

just like like a staker would.

• Options
    lJAMESllJAMESl Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: staking : " So although its not for everyone and I definately don't ever advise lending money to people like Tikay says for gambling." just lol,  loving the use of no commas James !!
    Posted by EdGiddins
    Not the greatest sentence I've ever constructed. I think everyone gets the idea though.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: staking : yep but they are still promoting the pokersite, so hence trying to get financial gain from it, just like like a staker would.
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Although Sky have scouted the players and will have full control of the funds, as in the player wont be able to misuse them unless they don't care about the Total Player project obviously.

Personally I don't mind the idea of staking, but I doubt Sky will be giving players more than a £200 bankroll each to be honest and I assume the challenges will be small things like MTT's, SNG's and small stakes cash.
    I could obviously be totally wrong but I can't see them giving each player a £2k roll can you guys?!
  • Options
    LMLLML Member Posts: 1,708
    edited January 2010
    In Response to staking:
    right i no nothing about this subject so tell me all you can.  do you get staked? do you stake another player? what percentage would each the staking and staked player get?
    Posted by freechips1

Is this a euphemism?
  • Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2010
    i play live with the same 3-4 friends every week, if one of us cant afford it, then we stake each other, i wouldnt lend money to someone whos not in my close group of friends though.
  • Options
    Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    edited January 2010
    Hey,

Heres a little more detail i think which hasnt been mentioned.

Staking deals are actually quite common in high stake MTTs on other sites such as..Stars and Tilt. They way staking works is not a carbon copy for everyone as most deals are different but heres a few i know of.

MTTs

The invester pays 100% of a players buy ins and get 50% of whatever the person wins.
                              50%  of a players buy ins and gets 25% of thier winnings.

Cash

Say your a 50 nl player a staker will give you maybe 1k or X buy-ins and take 50% of your winnings after a month

And of course when the staking arrangment comes to an end you give back the stake the staker iniatally put up. Also because in MTTs where they can play between 10 and 50 high buy-in games day ! they can lose quite alot through normal downswings or being staked for a 10k live buy-in event. Then the stakee can go into something called make up. This is where by your effectively in debt or on an overdraft which needs to be paid back.

Example

Lets say i was being staked for £330 - £500 and £1000buy in events around the uk such as the DTD deepstack, UKIPTS and GUKPTS by Mr Kendall. I've been on a terrible run and haven't even cashed in one of my 14 events played yet ! Tikay is £9800 down on his investment and were on a 100% stake 50% back and a make up deal.

I then come 1st at GUKPT Blackpool destroying james heads up, he even crys as i rake in the last of the chips ! This is for £80k.....Now what do we win ??? we pay back Tikay the £9.8k and that leaves 70.2k to split 50/50 between us so i win 35.1k and tikay got 44.9k back on his investment.

Thats just some examples.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to staking : Is this a euphemism?
    Posted by LML
    Oooooo I Say!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey, Heres a little more detail i think which hasnt been mentioned. Staking deals are actually quite common in high stake MTTs on other sites such as..Stars and Tilt. They way staking works is not a carbon copy for everyone as most deals are different but heres a few i know of. MTTs The invester pays 100% of a players buy ins and get 50% of whatever the person wins.                           50%  of a players buy ins and gets 25% of thier winnings. Cash Say your a 50 nl player a staker will give you maybe 1k or X buy-ins and take 50% of your winnings after a month And of course when the staking arrangment comes to an end you give back the stake the staker iniatally put up. Also because in MTTs where they can play between 10 and 50 high buy-in games day ! they can lose quite alot through normal downswings or being staked for a 10k live buy-in event. Then the stakee can go into something called make up. This is where by your effectively in debt or on an overdraft which needs to be paid back. Example Lets say i was being staked for £330 - £500 and £1000buy in events around the uk such as the DTD deepstack, UKIPTS and GUKPTS by Mr Kendall. I've been on a terrible run and haven't even cashed in one of my 14 events played yet ! Tikay is £9800 down on his investment and were on a 100% stake 50% back and a make up deal. I then come 1st at GUKPT Blackpool destroying james heads up, he even crys as i rake in the last of the chips ! This is for £80k.....Now what do we win ??? we pay back Tikay the £9.8k and that leaves 70.2k to split 50/50 between us so i win 35.1k and tikay got 44.9k back on his investment. Thats just some examples.
    Posted by Nutter5932
    AHAHAHAHAHA dream on Ben! Stop giving me the rub down will you we can't all go into HU with a 2-1 Chip lead and run hotter than the sun in Africa lol.
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited January 2010
    staking someone is different from lending money, stop making out like its exactly the same thing. Its obviously good advice to say never stake or accept a stake but lets not go crazy here...

Joe Cada was staked for his $8mil+ main event win because he wanted to play the WSOP but was in the middle of a downswing. Sheets and Bax obviously knew he was +ev in a WSOP field so staked him. Its a business arrangement. It worked out well.

David Benyamine and Zigmund have both been staked by Patrik Antonius at one time or another and both are considered to be two of the best PLO players in the world.

Ben Grundy is staked even though he has made over $5mil playing HUPLO.

At any $10k event its pretty much gauranteed 50% of the field will be staked.

Shaun Deeb, possibly the best online MTT player of the past couple of years, was staked.

So not everyone ends up broke from staking, or in debt, theres actually a ton of STT players who are really profitable and get staked to play higher levels. If you dont agree to make-up then theres no debt involved, thats why its different to lending money.

Is it a good idea? in most cases no, but there are always two sides to the story.

• Options
    Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: staking : AHAHAHAHAHA dream on Ben! Stop giving me the rub down will you we can't all go into HU with a 2-1 Chip lead and run hotter than the sun in Africa lol.
    Posted by lJAMESl
    You can if your in with the card gods :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    staking someone is different from lending money, stop making out like its exactly the same thing. Its obviously good advice to say never stake or accept a stake but lets not go crazy here... Joe Cada was staked for his $8mil+ main event win because he wanted to play the WSOP but was in the middle of a downswing. Sheets and Bax obviously knew he was +ev in a WSOP field so staked him. Its a business arrangement. It worked out well. David Benyamine and Zigmund have both been staked by Patrik Antonius at one time or another and both are considered to be two of the best PLO players in the world. Ben Grundy is staked even though he has made over $5mil playing HUPLO. At any $10k event its pretty much gauranteed 50% of the field will be staked. Shaun Deeb, possibly the best online MTT player of the past couple of years, was staked. So not everyone ends up broke from staking, or in debt, theres actually a ton of STT players who are really profitable and get staked to play higher levels. If you dont agree to make-up then theres no debt involved, thats why its different to lending money. Is it a good idea? in most cases no, but there are always two sides to the story.
    Posted by offshoot
    Are you staked Offshoot? I get the feeling theres a good chance judging from your post. Some good examples there though mate.
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited January 2010
    nope not staked, no need to be. If i have a downswing i would rather drop down levels than take a stake for half the profits. Obviously this is not the case with MTTs though and can see a case for people being staked for those if you play them and have a good track record.
  • Options
    MohicanMohican Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2010
    As the above posts have pointed out the difference between lending money and staking , would anyone agree
    that getting yourself staked could come under bankroll management?
  • Options
    EdGiddinsEdGiddins Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2010
    staking someone is different from lending money, stop making out like its exactly the same thing. Its obviously good advice to say never stake or accept a stake but lets not go crazy here... Joe Cada was staked for his $8mil+ main event win because he wanted to play the WSOP but was in the middle of a downswing. Sheets and Bax obviously knew he was +ev in a WSOP field so staked him. Its a business arrangement. It worked out well. David Benyamine and Zigmund have both been staked by Patrik Antonius at one time or another and both are considered to be two of the best PLO players in the world. Ben Grundy is staked even though he has made over $5mil playing HUPLO. At any $10k event its pretty much gauranteed 50% of the field will be staked. Shaun Deeb, possibly the best online MTT player of the past couple of years, was staked. So not everyone ends up broke from staking, or in debt, theres actually a ton of STT players who are really profitable and get staked to play higher levels. If you dont agree to make-up then theres no debt involved, thats why its different to lending money. Is it a good idea? in most cases no, but there are always two sides to the story.
    Posted by offshoot
    This man speaks sensible lingo.
  • Options
    EdGiddinsEdGiddins Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2010
    As the above posts have pointed out the difference between lending money and staking , would anyone agree that getting yourself staked could come under bankroll management?
    Posted by Mohican

this man speaks sensible lingo as well.
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2010
    i think staking can only work one way,that is if you are not a poker player but have an interest in the game and money to play with,for example,if i had the money i would not hesitate to have a stake in every game phil hellmuth plays at this years wsop..i'm sure he will come away winning,also i dont like the staking site that give you a bankroll and take 20% of winnings,if you win you lose 20% if you lose you get kicked off!
  • Options
    freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
    edited January 2010
    so far i can see staking mainly takes place in higher buyin mtt and not so much in cash, im a little surprised as i thought allot of high stakes cash players would be staked, in one form or another. i would love to hear if bennydip has any story's to tell on the mater.  my mate nupty (ed giddins) do you ever get staked to play in any higher buy in mtt?
  • Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited January 2010
    offshoot superb post

if you are staking a player you no is profitable then fine (plenty of ways of checking this if your not sure)

with my friend i only lend him on the stars site as there are no  blackjack/sports links on there