You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Some Advice would be appreciated

emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Would be grateful if someone could tell me why I got dogs abuse for this hand earlier this evening....

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
festa01 Small blind  50.00 50.00 3165.00
leegibbo Big blind  100.00 150.00 3840.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

barrie1979 Call  100.00 250.00 2720.00
(toiletmouth)All-in  1440.00 1690.00 0.00
emilyegg Call  1440.00 3130.00 5145.00
festa01 Fold     
leegibbo Fold     
barrie1979 Call  1340.00 4470.00 1380.00
Flop

• J
  • Q

barrie1979 Check     
emilyegg Check     
Turn

• A

barrie1979 Check     
emilyegg Check     
River

barrie1979 Check     
emilyegg Bet  100.00 4570.00 5045.00
barrie1979 Call  100.00 4670.00 1280.00
(toiletmouth) Show
  • J
  • Q

emilyegg Show
  • K

barrie1979 Muck
  • A

emilyegg Win Flush to the King 4670.00  9715.00
I am a regular player on small stake STT and MTT games.

In this one table game I was leading and called the short stack when he went all in.

The player I knocked out of the game was not a tight player by any means and I dont think my call against the short stack was Fishy or Bingo`ish.

Abuse.....I can cope with it if it is warranted, but I would genuinely like to know if (without hindsight) I made the right call, or was I lucky?

Comments

• Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2010

To be honest you should not be calling all ins for more than 10 big blinds with K3. you may say you were ahead but you cannot and should not think that this is the case. It's a rubbish hand. I don't know what the A6 is doing calling either. I can only assume that this is some kind of 50p SNG where people are having a bit of fun.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,168
    edited January 2010

Personally in this instance I wouldn't have called a 14x shove with that junk, but each to their own :) Don't like the later call either (A6)

• Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated:
    To be honest you should not be calling all ins for more than 10 big blinds with K3. you may say you were ahead but you cannot and should not think that this is the case. It's a rubbish hand. I don't know what the A6 is doing calling either. I can only assume that this is some kind of 50p SNG were people are having a bit of fun.
    Posted by salazar
    Thanks for that m8.
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited January 2010
    Hey Em,

As far as I see it, you knew this guy was a loose player, you had position and was chip leader...if you wanted to take the gamble (which you did) you should not be berated for it...

This person sounds like they were having a bad night and were possibly on tilt...if you can, put it behind you but make sure you avoid the player in future, if it still upsets you report to customer services who will investigate on your behalf...

hope this helps, and good luck in your other games tonight x

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Personally in this instance I wouldn't have called a 14x shove with that junk, but each to their own :) Don't like the later call either (A6)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Again, Thanks for response. Advice from experienced players is great.

Can I throw in another Question?.........

What would be the best way to play against a player who was betting/raising with hole cards not as good as the ones he had when he went out.
    I appreciate that being patient is good advice, but when you do get premium hole cards.....will players shove anyway?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey Em, As far as I see it, you knew this guy was a loose player, you had position and was chip leader...if you wanted to take the gamble (which you did) you should not be berated for it... This person sounds like they were having a bad night and were possibly on tilt...if you can, put it behind you but make sure you avoid the player in future, if it still upsets you report to customer services who will investigate on your behalf... hope this helps, and good luck in your other games tonight x
    Posted by TRIP5
    Thanks TRIP5 X
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Thanks for that m8.
    Posted by emilyegg
    No problem, the bottom line is it's your money, play how you want to . Me, I would fold a hand like that but there is no need for people to abuse you for not folding, like I said, it's your money, your chips, you should play how you want to and not how somebody else thinks you should.
    If you want advice, there are plenty of people on here that will offer you that advice.

Salazar
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited January 2010
    Fwiw I hate your call here. To call an all-in for 14bb's with K-3 is just so bad in the long run, even if he has been a bit loose. Also I don't get why you're only betting 100 chips on the end into a pot of 4470 with the 2nd nuts.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    lol thats class... you got berated because you made a poor call preflop, and then made a poor value bet on the river...
    so advice... well why did you call that preflop? and why only bet 100 on the river with the 2nd nuts?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fwiw I hate your call here. To call an all-in for 14bb's with K-3 is just so bad in the long run, even if he has been a bit loose. Also I don't get why you're only betting 100 chips on the end into a pot of 4470 with the 2nd nuts.
    Posted by yb
    Again, many thanks. Only threw in the minimum bet at the end to try and encourage a raise.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol thats class... you got berated because you made a poor call preflop, and then made a poor value bet on the river... so advice... well why did you call that preflop? and why only bet 100 on the river with the 2nd nuts?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    jeez
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Again, many thanks. Only threw in the minimum bet at the end to try and encourage a raise.
    Posted by emilyegg
    Once you've seen him check twice I don't think you can expect him to do the betting for you. And with a player already all-in there's no way he'd re-raise you on the river unless he had a really big hand. Basically you should have just put him all-in and with so much in the pot already he'd probably call with any half decent hand.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    hi emilyegg m8.nothing wrong with your call at all at this level,reason being that at this level you and i know they bet with anything.your mate dav
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Once you've seen him check twice I don't think you can expect him to do the betting for you. And with a player already all-in there's no way he'd re-raise you on the river unless he had a really big hand. Basically you should have just put him all-in and with so much in the pot already he'd probably call with any half decent hand.
    Posted by yb
    Thanks yb, I have learnt a lot from the replies I have had since I posted. It does make sense and is greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to these threads and take great interest in reading them.

I am greatly encouraged by the helpful response I have had from everyone thus far (except Jeez man, who must be the youngest WSOP bracelet holder in Poker History) ;.)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hi emilyegg m8.nothing wrong with your call at all at this level,reason being that at this level you and i know they bet with anything.your mate dav
    Posted by dav1964
    Cheers Dav.
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Some Advice would be appreciated:
    Would be grateful if someone could tell me why I got dogs abuse for this hand earlier this evening.... Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance festa01 Small blind   50.00 50.00 3165.00 leegibbo Big blind   100.00 150.00 3840.00   Your hole cards K 3       barrie1979 Call   100.00 250.00 2720.00 (toiletmouth) All-in   1440.00 1690.00 0.00 emilyegg Call   1440.00 3130.00 5145.00 festa01 Fold         leegibbo Fold         barrie1979 Call   1340.00 4470.00 1380.00 Flop     J Q 9       barrie1979 Check         emilyegg Check         Turn     A       barrie1979 Check         emilyegg Check         River     7       barrie1979 Check         emilyegg Bet   100.00 4570.00 5045.00 barrie1979 Call   100.00 4670.00 1280.00 (toiletmouth)  Show J Q       emilyegg Show K 3       barrie1979 Muck 6 A       emilyegg Win Flush to the King 4670.00   9715.00 I am a regular player on small stake STT and MTT games. In this one table game I was leading and called the short stack when he went all in. The player I knocked out of the game was not a tight player by any means and I dont think my call against the short stack was Fishy or Bingo`ish. Abuse.....I can cope with it if it is warranted, but I would genuinely like to know if (without hindsight) I made the right call, or was I lucky?
    Posted by emilyegg

you got the abuse for one reason.....you won the hand,if you had lost the player would of punched the air in delight..imo it was a loose call but then i wasnt on the table and had'nt seen previous actions....good luck, dave..

ps you dont/should'nt have to "cope" with abuse,if its bad report it
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Some Advice would be appreciated : you got the abuse for one reason.....you won the hand,if you had lost the player would of punched the air in delight..imo it was a loose call but then i wasnt on the table and had'nt seen previous actions....good luck, dave.. ps you dont/should'nt have to "cope" with abuse,if its bad report it
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    That sums it up perfectly.
    The "ps" is particularly important.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Many Thanks DAVEYZZ & MereNovice.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : That sums it up perfectly. The "ps" is particularly important.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Out of interest though MereNovice.....I only ask this because I have read a lot of your posts and know that you are very knowledgable, (especially on odds etc).......Against this player who was calling and raising with almost anything, what odds would you put K3 suited against him if they were your cards?.... when he is short stacked.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    It's very sweet of you to say that!   :-)

The problem with K3 (even if sooooooted) is that it doesn't play well against just about any hand that your opponent is likely to have and plays terribly against others. Calling with it is definitely bad and certainly for that amount of chips.

Here are the odds against some of the hands that your opponent might have had:

QsJc      58/42
    KcQs     30/70
    Ac4c      37/63
    8c8s      33/67

The first figure is your percentage chance against an opponent with the stated hand (the second figure is your opponent's percentage). Your opponent had 14bb which isn't really short-stacked in most of the games played on this site. As you can see you were very lucky (or a VERY good judge of your opponent!) to be ahead.

There is a tool called PokerStove that you can download for free that allows you to judge the strength of your hand against a whole range of your opponent's hands. If you want to look more into the odds of certain hands, I thoroughly recommend this tool.

Having said that, the hands and odds are irrelevant in this case. Abuse is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.