You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Some Advice would be appreciated

2»

Comments

• Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated:
    It's very sweet of you to say that!   :-) The problem with K3 (even if sooooooted) is that it doesn't play well against just about any hand that your opponent is likely to have and plays terribly against others. Calling with it is definitely bad and certainly for that amount of chips. Here are the odds against some of the hands that your opponent might have had: QsJc      58/42 KcQs     30/70 Ac4c      37/63 8c8s      33/67 The first figure is your percentage chance against an opponent with the stated hand (the second figure is your opponent's percentage). Your opponent had 14bb which isn't really short-stacked in most of the games played on this site. As you can see you were very lucky (or a VERY good judge of your opponent!) to be ahead. There is a tool called PokerStove that you can download for free that allows you to judge the strength of your hand against a whole range of your opponent's hands. If you want to look more into the odds of certain hands, I thoroughly recommend this tool. Having said that, the hands and odds are irrelevant in this case. Abuse is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Very Interesting Reading and Thanks Again MereNovice, really pleased I posted this thread now. Lots of good advice and obvious errors pointed out in a positive and polite way from all but one.......(jeeez) shocked gasps!!!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Some Advice would be appreciated : you got the abuse for one reason.....you won the hand,if you had lost the player would of punched the air in delight..imo it was a loose call but then i wasnt on the table and had'nt seen previous actions....good luck, dave.. ps you dont/should'nt have to "cope" with abuse,if its bad report it
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    As simple as that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : As simple as that.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank You TK. You taking the time to read and post is appreciated greatly.
  • Options
    pr1nnyraidpr1nnyraid Member Posts: 495
    edited January 2010
    emily at this level of poker anything goes because it is likely only recreational, so have fun and call with K 3 suited if thats what you wanna do.
    Ironically ur the one on here asking questions and looking to improve so all credit to you... whoever was 'berating' you is probly never gonna get better so dont let that abuse get to u, just be happy and content that you have learnt from the hand and move on. GL
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Thanks yb, I have learnt a lot from the replies I have had since I posted. It does make sense and is greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to these threads and take great interest in reading them. I am greatly encouraged by the helpful response I have had from everyone thus far (except Jeez man, who must be the youngest WSOP bracelet holder in Poker History) ;.)
    Posted by emilyegg
    ok clearly dont want any advice that tells you that you didnt play the hand well... why bother asking if you are going to make comments like this? i may be young but that is no reason to discard my advice because i am not a bad player.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : ok clearly don't want any advice that tells you that you didn't play the hand well... why bother asking if you are going to make comments like this? i may be young but that is no reason to discard my advice because i am not a bad player.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Missing the point a wee bit Blackfish.......

Are You a good player? I don`t honestly know m8.

Have I received good advice on this thread and taken it on board? Yes

If you actually take the time to read the posters who have offered advice to me you will see that it is done in a constructive, non-patronising way.

From yourself, I get a "lol......thats class".

I don't know if its the way you come across m8, (and like I said earlier I am fairly new to these threads) but I have noticed that 99% of your posts are very negative and almost condescending towards people and the way they play. (jeez)
    Far better players than me have made points/views on threads, but sadly (imo) you still have a tendency to shoot people down and be a bit barbed in your replies.
    To me it looks like you enjoy being a bit confrontational and while it is clear that you possess a sound knowledge of Poker, I am almost certain that If you were made from Chocolate you would eat yourself.

Anyway, Thanks for your input and Good Luck "Top Gun"
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Missing the point a wee bit Blackfish....... Are You a good player? I don`t honestly know m8. Have I received good advice on this thread and taken it on board? Yes If you actually take the time to read the posters who have offered advice to me you will see that it is done in a constructive, non-patronising way. From yourself, I get a "lol......thats class". I don't know if its the way you come across m8, (and like I said earlier I am fairly new to these threads) but I have noticed that 99% of your posts are very negative and almost condescending towards people and the way they play. (jeez) Far better players than me have made points/views on threads, but sadly (imo) you still have a tendency to shoot people down and be a bit barbed in your replies. To me it looks like you enjoy being a bit confrontational and while it is clear that you possess a sound knowledge of Poker, I am almost certain that If you were made from Chocolate you would eat yourself. Anyway, Thanks for your input and Good Luck "Top Gun"
    Posted by emilyegg
    hi again mate.my advice?take all of the constructive advice you have been given and dont rise to any bait on any catty remarks or sarcasm.all the best dav
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Missing the point a wee bit Blackfish....... Are You a good player? I don`t honestly know m8. Have I received good advice on this thread and taken it on board? Yes If you actually take the time to read the posters who have offered advice to me you will see that it is done in a constructive, non-patronising way. From yourself, I get a "lol......thats class". I don't know if its the way you come across m8, (and like I said earlier I am fairly new to these threads) but I have noticed that 99% of your posts are very negative and almost condescending towards people and the way they play. (jeez) Far better players than me have made points/views on threads, but sadly (imo) you still have a tendency to shoot people down and be a bit barbed in your replies. To me it looks like you enjoy being a bit confrontational and while it is clear that you possess a sound knowledge of Poker, I am almost certain that If you were made from Chocolate you would eat yourself. Anyway, Thanks for your input and Good Luck "Top Gun"
    Posted by emilyegg
    ahhh i guess your right. My intention is to give help to players but maybe i dont project myself in the best way whilst doing so. i do enjoy an argument (im a law student what do you expect lol?) but i dont intend to cause any... and if i was made of chocolate... yea id eat myself lol... actually maybe i wouldnt because then there wudnt be any more of me left and that would be terrible!

Ok now for some 'friendly' advice... the 10BB call with the K3s is poor because you are unlikely to be ahead of the player who has gone all in. Also by calling you get other players calling such as the A6... if you want to play this hand then consider reraising in order to isolate the original shover. On the river you min bet... you have the 2nd nuts and so want to extract maxium value and in order to do this you must bet more... an example:
    say you bet 600 and 1 out of 5 times he calls... therefore you make 600 chips 1 in 5 times... now if you bet 100 and he calls every time then you only make 500 chips.
    in the words of the great man himself...
    hope this helps
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : ahhh i guess your right. My intention is to give help to players but maybe i dont project myself in the best way whilst doing so. i do enjoy an argument (im a law student what do you expect lol?) but i dont intend to cause any... and if i was made of chocolate... yea id eat myself lol... actually maybe i wouldnt because then there wudnt be any more of me left and that would be terrible! Ok now for some 'friendly' advice... the 10BB call with the K3s is poor because you are unlikely to be ahead of the player who has gone all in. Also by calling you get other players calling such as the A6... if you want to play this hand then consider reraising in order to isolate the original shover. On the river you min bet... you have the 2nd nuts and so want to extract maxium value and in order to do this you must bet more... an example: say you bet 600 and 1 out of 5 times he calls... therefore you make 600 chips 1 in 5 times... now if you bet 100 and he calls every time then you only make 500 chips. in the words of the great man himself... hope this helps
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Apologies to you BlackFish, my earlier post was out of order. I can be a bit sarcastic at times.

Gutted that I missed the link between you being a Law Student and enjoying an argument though!

In all seriousness though your advice (and everyone else who has been kind enough to give input and pointers) has been greatly appreciated....Apologies again if it sounded like I was rude to you. Although I have barely played since I started this thread last night, I feel that I am now a wiser player thanks to Everybodys posts, and will look at certain situations in a different way from now on.

I can honestly say I have came to a few conclusions since I wandered onto these threads by accident just before xmas.

The threads are a good source of Joy/Pain/Laughter/Tears/Odd People/Good People/Conspiracy Theories, et cetera.

Without seeing many Players "in action" it is obvious that there are some very knowledgable and superb players out there, (yourself included) just by reading the posts on these threads.

I only play at small stake/bingo level where it seems at times that everyone would call a deaf dog. I can hang my head and say I have done this myself before, (see start of thread lol) but If I get enough time I might have a read at a few books/sites to try and become a better player and even enjoy Poker more than I do now.

Respect and Apologies again to you BlackFish. And Good Luck.
  • Options
    JockBMWJockBMW Member Posts: 2,653
    edited January 2010
    I think you have had some excellent advice on here Emily, and you seem to be quite happy to accept the "Constructive" critisisum that has been posted.

At the end of the day, any player can fold, call or raise, with any two cards from any position.  Why?  Because they want to.  

Accept that this is a part of playing poker, or go take up another game.  Your opponent, obviously, was incapable of taking this little known poker fact on board

Keep winning 
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Some Advice would be appreciated : Apologies to you BlackFish, my earlier post was out of order. I can be a bit sarcastic at times. Gutted that I missed the link between you being a Law Student and enjoying an argument though! In all seriousness though your advice (and everyone else who has been kind enough to give input and pointers) has been greatly appreciated....Apologies again if it sounded like I was rude to you. Although I have barely played since I started this thread last night, I feel that I am now a wiser player thanks to Everybodys posts, and will look at certain situations in a different way from now on. I can honestly say I have came to a few conclusions since I wandered onto these threads by accident just before xmas. The threads are a good source of Joy/Pain/Laughter/Tears/Odd People/Good People/Conspiracy Theories, et cetera. Without seeing many Players "in action" it is obvious that there are some very knowledgable and superb players out there, (yourself included) just by reading the posts on these threads. I only play at small stake/bingo level where it seems at times that everyone would call a deaf dog. I can hang my head and say I have done this myself before, (see start of thread lol) but If I get enough time I might have a read at a few books/sites to try and become a better player and even enjoy Poker more than I do now. Respect and Apologies again to you BlackFish. And Good Luck.
    Posted by emilyegg
    great post emily. Im glad we can resolve any issues between us. I am also just a low stake player and i started off at the teeny weeny 30p stakes lol... just have to remember though do not worry what stakes you play, dont worry about making money or not... just concern yourself with enjoying your poker and always improving and you cant go wrong!