You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Internet Security......... IMPORTANT!

13»

Comments

• Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    i hope no 1 gets infected on here, let our security be superior
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Internet Security......... IMPORTANT!:
    In Response to Re: Internet Security......... IMPORTANT! : most definitely not......ive joined the dark side now !...lol
    Posted by hogan2089
    n1 m8y !
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
     Hi elsadog hope your not having a laugh with us.? I dont know what IE is and Hubby is out. plus dont know what card details are on the computer hard drive so phoned and Cancelled all cards.    Thanks. Sort it out Monday. better safe than sorry.!!!
    Posted by logdon

Arrgghhhhh. Don't panic. The first thing is do you use internet explorer? For example when you go on the internet to go to sky is it done via Internet explorer or Safari, Google chrome or Firefox? If it's NOT Internet Explorer you don't have a potential problem. If it is then all you need to do is google ''Safari''  Then click on the link and download it. When it's downloaded exit internet explorer and go onto Safari. In the address bar at the top of the screen type in www.skypoker.com and click the button on the end of the address bar. That will log you in to Sky as normal.

If you are struggling with this pm me and I'll help you through it. 

• Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Internet Security......... IMPORTANT! : I'm only passing on what was on the news. The German government thought it important enough to ''address the nation'' so I take it seriously. Gordon Brown might decide to do the same on Monday after his lunch.
    Posted by elsadog
    I only want to hear one thing from Gordon "I am resigning immediately and retiring to obscurity with my mate Fred the Shred"!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
      hi elsadog  Followed your instructions so I think I'm now logging on through safari, thanks,  so does that now mean any cards I use on my computer from now on are safe from this virus. I have started the recorder. ? Annie x
    Posted by logdon[/QUOT

Yes Annie as long as you are on Safari you are ok. 

• Options
    edited January 2010
      Brill  Thank you Bob Martin for you hubby wont believe I sorted this on my own. Shuuush
    Posted by logdon

He might be a bit surprised when he finds you've cancelled all the cards. Here's hoping he doesn't need petrol to get home.

• Options
    hogan2089hogan2089 Member Posts: 169
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Internet Security......... IMPORTANT!:
    It is being broadcast on the news channels that there is a serious security flaw with Internet Explorer. Without boring you with the fine detail, it is a security flaw where bye Hackers from China are able to access your computer with a trojan and access your hard drive. This means that all transactions (including Sky, Google etc) are potentially at risk when accessed through IE. The advice is to use a different browser such as Firefox or Safari, Changing your passwords to financial institutions eg. Poker deposits, Internet banking etc. is advised once you are on a provider other than IE. This is not a problem with Sky. The problem is Microsoft IE. My advice is to swap from IE now.
    Posted by elsadog
    this is one particular quote from the bbc news  website  regarding the  security issues :

At present, this exploit only seems to affect 0.02% of internet sites," said Mr Curran. "In terms of vulnerability, it only seems to be affecting IE7 users at the moment, but could well encompass other versions in time."
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Internet Security......... IMPORTANT! : I'm only passing on what was on the news. The German government thought it important enough to ''address the nation'' so I take it seriously. Gordon Brown might decide to do the same on Monday after his lunch.
    Posted by elsadog
    C'mon Alan, this poker, not politics...lol

x
  • Options
    AnonemouseAnonemouse Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2010
    If you switch your OS to Linux, then you're almost entirely immune to viruses, and it runs faster than Windows anyway. And before anyone asks, Sky Poker runs fine on it!

And no-one in their right mind should be using IE anymore, not with Firefox available!
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for your post elsadog, Will now get the father-in-law to have a look at the Computer. I don't understand it all tbh but it has been running a bit slow in the last few days and the kids have been moaning about the playstations not connecting. Don't honestly know if anything is connected to this but I have had a few odd links on e-mails tonight offering loads of free holidays and the chance (for as little as $300) of turning my "member" into something resembling a tin of hairspray with an apple stuck on the end. 
  • Options
    BelovedLtdBelovedLtd Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2010
    There have been exploitable weak spots in every version of IE and to a lesser extent in Firefox (and probably Chrome and Safari - but they're not targeted so much because hardly anyone uses them yet)

The only reason this made the news so much was that it lead to Google withdrawing from China and that it was probably state sponsored hacking.

As somebody has mentioned, as long as you don't do anything which installs the trojan on your machine - and you actively have to do something to enable this - then you'll be fine.

Having said that, IE is the most rubbish browser possible so why anybody would be using it is beyond me.