You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

On the Bench

Comments

• Options
    BenchmarkBenchmark Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2015
    This is turning more into a blog than a set of articles, and this one is no different, other than it's a little special. Let's start with the story...

November 2009 - I was made redundant after 26 years. I was gutted. The irony was, if I had stayed on the shopfloor, I would have been invincible. Length of service, qualifications, etc would have put me bottom of the 'to go' list. Unfortunately, I shot for the moon, became a production manager, and it all counted for naught. Heads just had to roll. As I'm quite short, I was surprised mine was the first to go..

I used my £20k (not playing poker at the time) to keep me going, although I was technically never out of work. I also used it to design a drinks bottle which I sent off as an idea to Dragons' Den. To no avail. I also invented some shopping trolley keyrings which, whilst innovative, didn't work. That was the end of that escapade, plus there were bills to pay.

Scroll back to 1994 - Using 'visual Basic' software, I developed an easy checker for football pools coupons. Then came the lottery and 'the pools died. I sold one copy for a £1.

Back to 2013 now. We're getting there. I decide to try and write a mobile app for work. Based on engineering stuff. Conversions, tapping sizes, etc. There are a few already out there, but this would help me learn how to write an app from scratch. I have a copy on my phone. It's still  a work in progress (and has been for the 2 years).

Which brings us to today. I have an idea. It's a poker idea. It won't make me millions, but with the onset of the internet, selling with a small profit in volume will make you money. Think 'flappy bird'.

The idea is valid. I can make it work in Visual Basic, though I have to do a bit extra to make it 'customisable' (if that is a real word). Then I need to translate it to Android (ios is a bit too much for me yet).

Natch, I can't give too much away, other than it is a poker tool that beginners will appreciate.

Updates to follow.

Bench (pressed)

• Options
    edited October 2015
    OMG, where have I been? Surely, I've not quit poker?

The short answer is no, I haven't. I've been doing some wandering around and trying to change my game. I've played some cash and not very many tournaments. I've have to avoid the tournaments due to family illness, making it difficult to spend as 'scheduled' couple of hours at the felt. The ad-hoc half-an-hour, that cash can give you, has been much more accessible.

So, the second question is 'Am I any better at poker ?'. I'm not sure. I know I've seen a lot more poker played and my game has altered to a degree. One thing is for sure, I haven't made any money. Perhaps that makes the answer a 'No' ?

A few more obstacles to overcome before I can commit the time I'd like to in an MTT. Monday's DTD, for instance.

Anyways, that's where I am.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited October 2015

I hope the family situation improves and you find more time to play and especially to post.

I first got back in to poker a couple of years ago when I had a difficult family situation and I found "treating myself" to an occasional hour of escapism on the virtual felt really helped me.

I also shared my family situation in a diary thread, the positive support from the community and even a shout out for my wife on the TV show by Tikay were a fantastic boost.

You are missed when not here.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,470
    edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: On the Bench:
    This is turning more into a blog than a set of articles, and this one is no different, other than it's a little special. Let's start with the story... November 2009 - I was made redundant after 26 years. I was gutted. The irony was, if I had stayed on the shopfloor, I would have been invincible. Length of service, qualifications, etc would have put me bottom of the 'to go' list. Unfortunately, I shot for the moon, became a production manager, and it all counted for naught. Heads just had to roll. As I'm quite short, I was surprised mine was the first to go.. I used my £20k (not playing poker at the time) to keep me going, although I was technically never out of work. I also used it to design a drinks bottle which I sent off as an idea to Dragons' Den. To no avail. I also invented some shopping trolley keyrings which, whilst innovative, didn't work. That was the end of that escapade, plus there were bills to pay. Scroll back to 1994 - Using 'visual Basic' software, I developed an easy checker for football pools coupons. Then came the lottery and 'the pools died. I sold one copy for a £1. Back to 2013 now. We're getting there. I decide to try and write a mobile app for work. Based on engineering stuff. Conversions, tapping sizes, etc. There are a few already out there, but this would help me learn how to write an app from scratch. I have a copy on my phone. It's still  a work in progress (and has been for the 2 years). Which brings us to today. I have an idea. It's a poker idea. It won't make me millions, but with the onset of the internet, selling with a small profit in volume will make you money. Think 'flappy bird'. The idea is valid. I can make it work in Visual Basic, though I have to do a bit extra to make it 'customisable' (if that is a real word). Then I need to translate it to Android (ios is a bit too much for me yet). Natch, I can't give too much away, other than it is a poker tool that beginners will appreciate. Updates to follow. Bench (pressed)
    Posted by Benchmark

Hi

Have you tried looking at python for android?

Its a language that  works across all platforms.

Google learnpython.org.

Nice tutorials . You should do ok if you have VB experience.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/learnpython.org/

There is a fb group with helpful people
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/learnpython.org/

There is a fb group with helpful people
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I was expecting to be back playing poker by now, unfortunately, I've got broadband problems. After some heavy rain at the end of November, my phone line quality has gone Pete Tong. Connection will not stay on for more than five minutes at a time. Although this usually exceeds my tournament life, I think I could do with a bit longer (I might reg just before a break. It COULD happen). Anyways, my phone line is underground and needs digging up. Hopefully, I'll be back before the new year. Or I could just give you my money now ?

Bench.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Hoping to be back playing Poker next week. Not been the best of christmasses, as my father-in-law passed away today. The last 16 months have been an annus and a third horribilus. Starting with my wife developing rather innocuous tonsillitis at the beginning of August last year. Following that, it all went pear-shaped for most of my family. I'm quite a balanced individual, but I have an appointment at the doctor's on Monday to ask why they are bunch of f*ckwits. After requesting urgent help three weeks ago, they gave me an appointment for 5th Jan. Needless to say, I've had to sort things on my own. Hoping 2016 will improve.

Right, deal me in.

Bench.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A rather belated New Year's resolution for me is to stop ranting about the things I can't change and get on with the things I can.

Expecting broadband to be Tikay-ti-boo by next week.

Expecting to win a tournament before Easter.

I'm ready.
  • Options
    MilitantGMilitantG Member Posts: 204
    edited January 2016
    Gl Bench both in-and-out of poker.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the support. Hoping to make Monday's DTD.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Everyone will be glad to know, my broadband is now functioning. After a lot of ranting at BT, they have resolved my issues satisfactorily. Cash was involved.

After winning a ticket last week, to the £33 BH, I was hoping to at least take something from it. Alas, JJ led me up the garden path and then sold me down the river. Lesson's learned there. Now, although this isn't Sky poker related, to check my broadband was working before the BH, I played a cheap satellite game on another site (take me out and flog me now). As luck would have it, I cashed with a ticket for the next round. I have also managed to see that round off and am now in a €50 satellite game. I'll be using that to check out my Twitch stream set-up, for when I'm back to Sky poker proper. The game is tonight and my twitch nick is dognabbit. As I say, I don't want to take anything away from sky, and will be doing my twitching during their games in the future.

On a sadder note. It's my father-in-law's funeral on friday. Tough times.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    There's life, then there is poker. This is the poker bit.

Not been playing a great deal, although recently I was almost tempted to try my hand in a local poker league. Almost.

Been watching a few players on Twitch, to try and improve my game. I seem to have my mind focussed on range and flips.

I've also been trying to sort my own Twitch stream out, but alas, a raft of Sims an Minecraft downloads has more or less brought the household PC to a crawl. May leave that for the summer.

Played two small tourneys on Sky today. A BH sat an an Omaha Hi/Lo.

I'm £3.78 up.

Not ready for the scrapheap just yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Psyching Myself up for the big one.

Looking to put in an all-day MTT grind at some point. I'll probably put aside £60 or so to finance it. Think I might make it a regular thing, maybe three monthly, to use as a gauge for my progress.

I'm only a micro-stakes player, so I am under no illusions about my ability. However, a flip is a flip, no matter who you are.

In other news, I had some luck at the weekend, where I was down to 1BB in a tournament and managed to claw my way back to fifth place.

Anyways, I might get around to Twitching some of it, if I go deep. If I don't, you will probably never hear about this again.

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited April 2016

good luck john. 

make 'em laugh.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Every fish has his day.

• Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,683
    edited May 2016
    :-) good luck in everything keep up the stories
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    TBH. I was just testing out my Twitch stuff. I've had to install a new hard drive, as infinite downloads of files for Sims by my daughter had finally killed it off.

I've been trying to write an article on how to win an MTT, so thought I'd apply some of my thought process to a sample one. Naturally, I didn't win. ;)

Had a close call early on, where I lost half my stack with a rather careless pre-flop call with 66 (against 99). Fortunately, I had the other player covered and only lost half my stack. I think I was reckless as I wasn't planning on hanging around and my internet connection was a bit unstable (it's usually rock solid).

Anyways, I played to my strategy with a couple of faux pas and a couple of lucky breaks.

Just when you're thinking that you will only ever be a bingo player, you make sense of the madness.

:)
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: On the Bench:
    TBH. I was just testing out my Twitch stuff. I've had to install a new hard drive, as infinite downloads of files for Sims by my daughter had finally killed it off. I've been trying to write an article on how to win an MTT, so thought I'd apply some of my thought process to a sample one. Naturally, I didn't win. ;) Had a close call early on, where I lost half my stack with a rather careless pre-flop call with 66 (against 99). Fortunately, I had the other player covered and only lost half my stack. I think I was reckless as I wasn't planning on hanging around and my internet connection was a bit unstable (it's usually rock solid). Anyways, I played to my strategy with a couple of faux pas and a couple of lucky breaks. Just when you're thinking that you will only ever be a bingo player, you make sense of the madness. :)
    Posted by Benchmark

... and eyes down.

• Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited May 2016
    Everyone loves a bit of bingo.

Have you snuck in the big MTT grind yet?

I reckon a live thread could be quite entertaining given your way with words and hopefully be a good draw from community well-wishers as the session progresses.

Congrats on the bink and gl moving forward.