You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

HH analysis

mrleemr1mrleemr1 Member Posts: 143
edited November 2016 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £33.59
mrleemr1 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £56.60
  Your hole cards
  • Q

Fold     
 Fold     
 VillainRaise  £1.50 £2.25 £56.57
 Fold     
mrleemr1 Call  £1.00 £3.25 £55.60
Flop

• K

mrleemr1 Check     
 Bet  £2.44 £5.69 £54.13
mrleemr1 Call  £2.44 £8.13 £53.16
Turn

mrleemr1 Check     
 Bet  £8.13 £16.26 £46.00
mrleemr1 Call  £8.13 £24.39 £45.03
River

mrleemr1 Check     
 Bet  £18.29 £42.68 £27.71
mrleemr1 Call  £18.29 £60.97 £26.74
 Show

mrleemr1 Show
  • Q

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Step by step my thoughts.

Pre-flop q9o calling here as button range will be wide, we have the best hand often enough and its not a bad hand to play vs entire range.

Flop he is going to c-bet here a very large % of the time with a lot of equity in the hand still. I have 2nd pair and best hand here a lot of the time, he could also be value betting a worst hand.

Turn brings a ton more draws, hes gonna continue here with all h draws, C draws straight draws, will continue some of the time with gutshots and maybe sometimes A high no draw. Hes obviously gonna bet all sets/2pairs/overpair/tp maybe QQ/JJ/TT A9.
    However he decides to bet pot. This means I can narrow his range down as he wouldn't take this line with thin value hands and basic draws.
    I don't think he does this all the time with just flush draws. Perhaps half the time does it with Axhh = 4 Axcc = 4 (not including A6/4hhcc

Non-Showdown heart draws - 78hh T8hh T7hh 73hh 75hh 85hh 23hh 52hh JThh qthh qjhh = 11

Non-Showdown Club draws - JTcc T8cc T7cc 78cc 75cc 85cc 52cc 32cc 53cc = 9

Value hands  = KK x 3 66 x 3 99x 1 = 7

I personally don't think he takes this line with AK KQ AA. So for value im including k9x6 k6x9 96x6 k4x9 =30

He also has 6xcc 9xhh hands if we say 65cc 67cc 68cc T6cc A6cc = 5 I got 9hearts so none them

River is complete brick means nothing. He bets 75% pot, Assuming the above inputs we have:

Value = 37
    Bluffs = 25 +half Axcc/hh non-showdown 8 =  33

I am really tired and doing this by hand so I may be thinking stupid or may have missed out quite bit. Lemme know thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ive deleted the results to of the hand to keep it interesting and my opponents names to keep fair
  • Options
    BigHawk89BigHawk89 Member Posts: 627
    edited December 2015
    You haven't included any reads on the villian? Is he a reg? I don't think the turn brings a ton more draws. I also think your range of value hands isn't wide enough surely it can't just be sets? You've gotta include hands like AK K9 AA maybe even some funky two pairs (he is raising from button) the board runs out great for these hands so they aren't going to be too put off by betting wider for value on the river. Given no reads here so just going on what the nl50 games are like on sky if say it was a bad call overal, but wp if you went with your read and was right.
  • Options
    yuranASSetyuranASSet Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2015
    You have established that PF/Raiser is opening wide. Which is fine to defend, but the problem I see with this hand is the line you have taken to defend your blind. 

In general, if your going to passively take the check/call line on 3 streets you will lose way more money in the long term than had you lost if you had folded preflop. The idea to defending your blind against a wide open range from the button is of course to decrease your losses from the blinds. That said, your preflop call is definetly the correct play here, giving the circumstances. But your line needs to be re-evaluated.

By calling the river you are implying that villain has a tripple barrel bluff in his repetoire, if this is the case then all the more reason not to be taking the Check/Call line on 3 streets without a very strong hand. This should be more weighted to 2 pair and sometimes TPTK. Top pair and best 2nd pair hands would probably be more weighted towards 2 streets of check calling. If however, we think that villain is going to 3 barrell bluff us, then  2 other lines are far more appealing. The conventional float used to be check, call flop, then if it goes check, check on turn we donk the river. Better than that IMO is the (for this hand type where we make 2nd pair) check, call flop and either donk bet turn or turn the hand into a bluff by check raising the turn. Both sceanrio's more likely yield a better chance of a check, check river.

• Options
    percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: HH analysis:
    wp
    Posted by percival09
    Villain? Haha!
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited December 2015
    "By calling the river you are implying that villain has a tripple barrel bluff in his repetoire, if this is the case then all the more reason not to be taking the Check/Call line on 3 streets without a very strong hand"

i dont understand this. the more bluffs we think villain has in his range, the stronger our bluff catching range should be?

"If however, we think that villain is going to 3 barrell bluff us, then  2 other lines are far more appealing..."

again makes no sense, if you believe you are about to get bluffed you suggest either donking [fold out his bluffs] or check raising [fold out his bluffs]?

you seem to be suggesting c/calling all your strongest hands and being aggressive with your bluff-catchers when facing a villain who is capable of 3 barrelling air.

just sacrificing edge imo.

unless i've been whooshed
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    "Jjust sacrificing edge imo. Unless i've been whooshed
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    We have no edge from the BB. That's why we lose money here. I know what you mean and I also know that you do well and mean well. But I also think that you miss the point of defending against a wide button open, as OP said was his reason for calling in the first place. 

The hands that you quoted me on are not in fact so strong as you imply when out of position, we're talking random 2pair and TPTK. These are generally hands that we need to do some pot control when playing cash from blinds. 

• Options
    edited December 2015
    i dont understand this. the more bluffs we think villain has in his range, the stronger our bluff catching range should be? "If however, we think that villain is going to 3 barrell bluff us, then  2 other lines are far more appealing..." again makes no sense, if you believe you are about to get bluffed you suggest either donking [fold out his bluffs] or check raising [fold out his bluffs]? you seem to be suggesting c/calling all your strongest hands and being aggressive with your bluff-catchers when facing a villain who is capable of 3 barrelling air. just sacrificing edge imo. unless i've been whooshed
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I might get my point across better by doing some quoting of my own. 

" i dont understand this. the more bluffs we think villain has in his range, the stronger our bluff catching range should be?"

The idea of donking turn or checking raising is to limit his free cards when he has position.

." again makes no sense, if you believe you are about to get bluffed you suggest either donking [fold out his bluffs] or check raising [fold out his bluffs]? you seem to be suggesting c/calling all your strongest hands and being aggressive with your bluff-catchers when facing a villain who is capable of 3 barrelling air. just sacrificing edge imo. unless i've been whooshed"

This is what I addressed in the last post. I made no reference to strong hands, okay I did, you will see that in brackets, I also said and was referring to this hand only. Different strategies for defending your blind will depend on your holdings and the flop.  I didn't mention trips, top 2 pair etc. These hands play themselves.

• Options
    edited December 2015

We have no edge from the BB.

that may be true from start of hand in isolation

however we should have reciprocal edge. that is we play our BB range better than the population of players in our games.

that is we lose less in the BB than when the average player is in the BB

if you are going to pot control with strong hands, why would you take aggressive actions with bluff catchers.

if you think villain has too much air in his range, why would you play bluff catchers aggressively?

the point of defending wide in the BB v wide openers is because it loses less money than playing a tight BB range.

once you get postflop if you have reads that villain is air heavy then x/c /> /> x/r with 2nd pair imo.

i dont play deep cash, so i'd be grateful if you could explain why raising or donking turn is better than x/calling when you believe you are going to be facing 2 bets from a player who bluffs too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    yuran, 

"In general, if your going to passively take the check/call line on 3 streets you will lose way more money in the long term than had you lost if you had folded preflop."

"By calling the river you are implying that villain has a tripple barrel bluff in his repetoire, if this is the case then all the more reason not to be taking the Check/Call line on 3 streets without a very strong hand. This should be more weighted to 2 pair and sometimes TPTK."

This is simply not true. Quite often in BB vs BTN spots, we're doing a lot of check/calling (and rarely leading) because the BTN's range very often has an equity advantage over our range. Therefore, we don't want to build the pot by leading, or x/r too often, especially with "marginal" hands like this one. 

The highest EV approach for hero is exactly how he played it, he kept villain's bluffs in and with this particular run out, Q9 is actually a relatively strong bluff-catcher on the river. We should end up at the river with a decent amount of Kx, a lot of 9x, and a few other random hands, and if we think villain is capable of firing multi-street bluffs, and as far as I'm aware there's no reason not to believe this, then Q9 becomes a very reasonable 3street call down, mainly due to our Q blocker being better than all the other possible kickers we can have, and the not so bad run out. 

I think hero took the highest EV line if readless, and with reads that suggest villain is perhaps more aggressive than most, the 3 street x/c on this runout becomes even more +ev. 

• Options
    edited December 2015
    protection is important, you're right, and actually I think it's far more important than a lot of people think it is. However, I don't think is a spot for protection because a) our hand doesn't make much sense for a protection bet and b) this isn't a good run out to have much of a leading range, c) this particular hand GAINS ev by keeping bluffs in villains range. 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: HH analysis : I might get my point across better by doing some quoting of my own.  should be?"

The idea of donking turn or checking raising is to limit his free cards when he has position. ."

This is what I addressed in the last post. I made no reference to strong hands, okay I did, you will see that in brackets, I also said and was referring to this hand only. Different strategies for defending your blind will depend on your holdings and the flop.  I didn't mention trips, top 2 pair etc. These hands play themselves.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    yah you didnt reference strong hands, you said 'very strong hands'. so hope you can understand where the confusion came from.

when you raise or donk turn you deny villain one card.

but you also ensure you face a very strong range on the river.

you called pre, check called flop and check raised or donked turn.

villain simply wont get to the river without an extremely tight and value heavy range. he can ssimply check back showdown [most of which beats you] and can bet all his value and you are in a really sh*ty spot.

when you c/call you face his entire turn barrelling range which we have already estimated to contain enough air to c/call. villain now has a relatively wide river starting distribution and has plenty of air [given our reads] and we have a relatively easy decision when we check.

the equity share we deny him is swamped by the value we gain from keeping his air in his river starting range.

imo

• Options
    edited December 2015
    "This is simply not true. Quite often in BB vs BTN spots, we're doing a lot of check/calling (and rarely leading) because the BTN's range very often has an equity advantage over our range. Therefore, we don't want to build the pot by leading, or x/r too often, especially with "marginal" hands like this one."

Sorry, but again, you missed the point. The Button's range does not have an equity advantage! Why? Because we have already established that the button is opening wide enough for us to call on BB with Q9o! That's the OP's read! In fact, going by the OP's read, we have the equity advantage. We're probably ahead here. But we know that we're going to get 3 barrell bluffed. 

OP Read, his own words...

"However he decides to bet pot. This means I can narrow his range down as he wouldn't take this line with thin value hands and basic draws." Sorry, why did we call the river again?

This is what we need to factor into our decisions! It's okay for him to post all these combo's that make sense for the button to have, but none of them include a truly wide range to justify his preflop call. Like all the air. Everything he posted discarded all air a wide button range could have. Or for that matter, any two pair hands. And I mean any!

If he has air on flop, then doesn't it make sense to try and fold them out with a donk bet or check raise on the turn before he does make a hand? We're check calling and giving villain the chance. 

"I think hero took the highest EV line if readless, and with reads that suggest villain is perhaps more aggressive than most, the 3 street x/c on this runout becomes even more +ev."

Definetly not +EV v readless.  
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    protection is important, you're right, and actually I think it's far more important than a lot of people think it is. However, I don't think is a spot for protection because a) our hand doesn't make much sense for a protection bet and b) this isn't a good run out to have much of a leading range, c) this particular hand GAINS ev by keeping bluffs in villains range. 
    Posted by percival09

IMO he should have folded river the way he played it and I also believe that he wouldn't be sharing a spew hand on the forum if he hadn't won. It is defo -EV calling a 3rd barrell v btn. If we factor in that he is wide then what is he 3 barrelling with. He might have won this hand, but long term it's fa,r far worse than folding preflop which was my point. 

"a) our hand doesn't make much sense for a protection bet"

Our hand needs protected because we are ahead most likely and we don't want to give him another free card. Then it's no problem folding the river if it doesn't go c/c. We gain more info.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    [QUOTE Sorry, but again, you missed the point. The Button's range does not have an equity advantage! Why? Because we have already established that the button is opening wide enough for us to call on BB with Q9o! That's the OP's read! In fact, going by the OP's read, we have the equity advantage. We're probably ahead here. But we know that we're going to get 3 barrell bluffed.  OP Read, his own words...

the button can easily have the equity advantage. folding the BTN costs nothing. in fact he should only play hands that have a positive ev from start of hand.

we in the BB have 1bb already invested. we can afford to be -ev from start of hand. that is if we lose 80bb/100 from start of hand calling then we should call as folding yields -100bb/100

Q9o is likely ahead of much of villains opening range as it is ahead of hands like JT, 78s etc etc in raw equity terms. not many hands beat it by that metric

"However he decides to bet pot. This means I can narrow his range down as he wouldn't take this line with thin value hands and basic draws." Sorry, why did we call the river again?

the idea is villain becomes more polar. he bets the strongest parts of his range and weaker draws. on the river these draws either become nuts or air.

when we have a bluff catcher v a polar range if he has too much air we always call. if he has too much value we always fold.

If he has air on flop, then doesn't it make sense to try and fold them out with a donk bet or check raise on the turn before he does make a hand?

trying to fold out air against an aggressive villain is such a strange strategy when we have a bluff catcher. we shouldnt fear difficult decisions later on in a hand. all you do is ensure you face stronger ranges on later streets.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: HH analysis : [QUOTE Sorry, but again, you missed the point. The Button's range does not have an equity advantage! Why? Because we have already established that the button is opening wide enough for us to call on BB with Q9o! That's the OP's read! In fact, going by the OP's read, we have the equity advantage. We're probably ahead here. But we know that we're going to get 3 barrell bluffed.  OP Read, his own words... the button can easily have the equity advantage. folding the BTN costs nothing. in fact he should only play hands that have a positive ev from start of hand. we in the BB have 1bb already invested. we can afford to be -ev from start of hand. that is if we lose 80bb/100 from start of hand calling then we should call as folding yields -100bb/100 Q9o is likely ahead of much of villains opening range as it is ahead of hands like JT, 78s etc etc in raw equity terms. not many hands beat it by that metric "However he decides to bet pot. This means I can narrow his range down as he wouldn't take this line with thin value hands and basic draws." Sorry, why did we call the river again? the idea is villain becomes more polar. he bets the strongest parts of his range and weaker draws. on the river these draws either become nuts or air. when we have a bluff catcher v a polar range if he has too much air we always call. if he has too much value we always fold.    If he has air on flop, then doesn't it make sense to try and fold them out with a donk bet or check raise on the turn before he does make a hand? trying to fold out air against an aggressive villain is such a strange strategy when we have a bluff catcher. we shouldnt fear difficult decisions later on in a hand. all you do is ensure you face stronger ranges on later streets.  
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Okay, we'll go thru it again one at a time.

"The button can easily have the equity advantage. folding the BTN costs nothing. in fact he should only play hands that have a positive ev from start of hand."

The button is playing wide, so not easily folding (to passivity) and not playing +EV if BB decides to defend PROPERLY 30-40% of steals . 

OP said he also expected BTN to have high Cbet percentage.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    a high cbet percentage is easy to play against though.

especially when we make good second pair.

notice that button can still open profitably even if we defend properly.

if we lose 0.8BB [80bb/100]from start of hand on average when calling  then button has profited from start of hand and we have done better than folding [-1bb or 100bb/100].

the sunk cost of the blinds means that both players can do better putting money in the pot than folding. it isnt a zero-sum game in that respect.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    a high cbet percentage is easy to play against though/QUOTE]

I know! This is the very point I'm making. Just suggesting a btter line to passively check calling 3 streets.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    a high cbet percentage is easy to play against though. especially when we make good second pair. notice that button can still open profitably even if we defend properly. if we lose 0.8BB [80bb/100]from start of hand on average when calling  then button has profited from start of hand and we have done better than folding [-1bb or 100bb/100]. the sunk cost of the blinds means that both players can do better putting money in the pot than folding. it isnt a zero-sum game in that respect.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

The idea is to minsamise our losses! The play I suggest will do that that.