You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY

torryboytorryboy Member Posts: 459
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat

Please use this thread to help me stop smoking.

I came home from Tenerife on sat and went cold turkey since I got on plane, bought patches today and they are helping a little.

I have no patience while playing poker so if I dont chat much or play like a total donk like I have today please forgive me.

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    i wont vote because i would like to vote for all 3 options lol. nah good luck with it! its good you are trying to stop... the will power you will gain can only improve your poker game!
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2010
    hope you had a great time ,

back to reality with a bang lol ,

i gave them up 8 years ago after numerous unsuceesful attempts,

this book :

the easy way to stop smoking,

by alan carr,

i found a great help,

hope this helps !

p.s. if this book fails you can always roll it and smoke it lol !
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    I'm STILL smoking and STILL playing like a newborn donkey!!!!

Seriously, stopping smoking is far more important than a temporary blip in poker form. Keep at it.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY:
    hope you had a great time , back to reality with a bang lol , i gave them up 8 years ago after numerous unsuceesful attempts, this book : the easy way to stop smoking, by alan carr, i found a great help, hope this helps ! p.s. if this book fails you can always roll it and smoke it lol !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Tx will give  it a try aint gonna be easy after 35 years
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm STILL smoking and STILL playing like a newborn donkey!!!! Seriously, stopping smoking is far more important than a temporary blip in poker form. Keep at it.
    Posted by KnackersYa
    How about trying along with me
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited February 2010
    I smoked 20 a day from when i was 13 til i was 33 (20 years) and if i had a drink i smoked 60+.I tried to give up a couple of times and it didnt work, but this time i was determined (thats the key), if your remotely not fully behind this you will fail! What i did was firstly not tell anyone for a week, i got a diary and marked off each day i didnt smoke. Heres the key to my success, i went out for a drink on the 3rd day (while i was still committed) determined not to smoke and i put the money for 20 cigs into a bottle every day, after a month i had something like £100, with this i treated myself to some golf gear (but it can be anything you like). The cravings i found were bad for the 1st six weeks, but i realised that they were very predictable, they followed my usual smoking routine, like 1st thing in the morning, 10am breaktime, lunch, mid afternoon, just after work etc etc, the cravings were always bad at the times i used to light up. To combat this i threw darts at a board for 10 minutes until the craving stopped, when it returned i threw again (i think this takes your mind off the cigs) at the start i was throwing 10 times a day, and this went down to 2 times a day after 6 weeks (you can choose your own method). After the 4th month and another £300 in the bottle i purchased a new set of golf irons. This was my payback if you like and you can see the money accumulating. After 6 months i found i no longer coughed c r a p up every morning, and i didnt get wheezy after exercise.Havnt had a ciggie in 12 years and it seems like i never smoked and im so glad i packed em in, good luck in your quest.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    edited February 2010
    bin stopped for a month now i,m ok during the day cuz i never smoked at work but when i came home 1st thing i did was av a smoke.nowt more relaxing than playing poker with a smoke.my game went really downbank but im determinded to stop,after about a week i won a tourny that got my confidence back up and i realised i actually didnt need a smoke,i still crave them and i want one now while im playing the 22 deepie but im not gonna have one.good luck torryboy im with ya all the way
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I smoked 20 a day from when i was 13 til i was 33 (20 years) and if i had a drink i smoked 60+.I tried to give up a couple of times and it didnt work, but this time i was determined (thats the key), if your remotely not fully behind this you will fail! What i did was firstly not tell anyone for a week, i got a diary and marked off each day i didnt smoke. Heres the key to my success, i went out for a drink on the 3rd day (while i was still committed) determined not to smoke and i put the money for 20 cigs into a bottle every day, after a month i had something like £100, with this i treated myself to some golf gear (but it can be anything you like). The cravings i found were bad for the 1st six weeks, but i realised that they were very predictable, they followed my usual smoking routine, like 1st thing in the morning, 10am breaktime, lunch, mid afternoon, just after work etc etc, the cravings were always bad at the times i used to light up. To combat this i threw darts at a board for 10 minutes until the craving stopped, when it returned i threw again (i think this takes your mind off the cigs) at the start i was throwing 10 times a day, and this went down to 2 times a day after 6 weeks (you can choose your own method). After the 4th month and another £300 in the bottle i purchased a new set of golf irons. This was my payback if you like and you can see the money accumulating. After 6 months i found i no longer coughed c r a p up every morning, and i didnt get wheezy after exercise.Havnt had a ciggie in 12 years and it seems like i never smoked and im so glad i packed em in, good luck in your quest.
    Posted by loonytoon

Thanks this is so helpful, the coughing in the morning was the last straw and I am determined.

Was going to cancel my night with the lads on wed but will go now
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    bin stopped for a month now i,m ok during the day cuz i never smoked at work but when i came home 1st thing i did was av a smoke.nowt more relaxing than playing poker with a smoke.my game went really downbank but im determinded to stop,after about a week i won a tourny that got my confidence back up and i realised i actually didnt need a smoke,i still crave them and i want one now while im playing the 22 deepie but im not gonna have one.good luck torryboy im with ya all the way
    Posted by stokefc
    Let me know how your getting on in future m8 much appreciated
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY :
    I smoked 20 a day from when i was 13 til i was 33 (20 years) and if i had a drink i smoked 60+.I tried to give up a couple of times and it didnt work, but this time i was determined (thats the key), if your remotely not fully behind this you will fail! What i did was firstly not tell anyone for a week, i got a diary and marked off each day i didnt smoke. Heres the key to my success, i went out for a drink on the 3rd day (while i was still committed) determined not to smoke and i put the money for 20 cigs into a bottle every day, after a month i had something like £100, with this i treated myself to some golf gear (but it can be anything you like). The cravings i found were bad for the 1st six weeks, but i realised that they were very predictable, they followed my usual smoking routine, like 1st thing in the morning, 10am breaktime, lunch, mid afternoon, just after work etc etc, the cravings were always bad at the times i used to light up. To combat this i threw darts at a board for 10 minutes until the craving stopped, when it returned i threw again (i think this takes your mind off the cigs) at the start i was throwing 10 times a day, and this went down to 2 times a day after 6 weeks (you can choose your own method). After the 4th month and another £300 in the bottle i purchased a new set of golf irons. This was my payback if you like and you can see the money accumulating. After 6 months i found i no longer coughed c r a p up every morning, and i didnt get wheezy after exercise.Havnt had a ciggie in 12 years and it seems like i never smoked and im so glad i packed em in, good luck in your quest. Posted by loonytoon Thanks this is so helpful, the coughing in the morning was the last straw and I am determined. Was going to cancel my night with the lads on wed but will go now
    Posted by torryboy
    Let us know on thursday that you didnt smoke wed night, if you dont then you know youve got past the 1st big hurdle!
  • Options
    xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    I wish you the very best of luck and remember all ur pokers buds are behind u x
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wish you the very best of luck and remember all ur pokers buds are behind u x
    Posted by xFALLENx
     n1 fallen u are a true angel,

loony hit on it there ,

why dont you let us know as the days progress,

on this threrad how you are getting on torryboy .
  • Options
    xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY :   n1 fallen u are a true angel, loony hit on it there , why dont you let us know as the days progress,  on this threrad how you are getting on torryboy .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    TY rover

C I am nice if not rubbed up the wrong way.

But getting back 2 the subject in hand

• Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY : TY rover C I can b nice if not rubbed up the wrong way. But getting back 2 the subject in hand
    Posted by xFALLENx
    I will keep you all updated as it will be another nice distraction.
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited February 2010
    I have stopped smoking (and started again) more times than Phil Taylor has hit the bullseye!!! However, I was given some great advice by one of my umpteen quit buddy's (obviously preferring to share my misery with which ever unsuspecting soul I can talk in to quitting with me...) so share my knowledge I will:-

Freeze some grapes and when you have a killer craving go to the freezer and pop a frozen grape in your mouth...by the time it melts enough to eat it your craving will have passed...Unfortunately I started EVERY TIME because free will and freedom of choice are particular downfalls of mine...lol

Will be joining you on the non smoking train 2 weeks tomorrow (for the nth and hopefully LAST time...lol)

Good Luck Sir - keep up the good work :o)

X

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,544
    edited February 2010

Good luck with your quest Torryboy. Respect sir for giving it a go and I, like many others on here, hope you succeed. I gave up once for 13 years!!!........but on my 14th birthday thought 'i think i will try a ciggy!!!' lol.

I sooooo want to attempt to give up this year for so many reasons which you no doubt can relate to so will not list them but I look forward to reading your progress on here plus any tips from other posters that can help us all.

PS. Have you got any spare lighters now?   :))

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Well thats another 24 hours over with successfully.

Today I have used patches, Niquitin lozenges, Trebor mints, went for a long walk and have even cooked the supper and hoovered, the grapes are in the freezer and I have bought a dartboard lol.  Think when I go back to work next week it will be better.

Walked past a pub earlier and there were three smokers standing outside, had to hold my breath.

Still going for a couple of pints the morn so it will be a good test of my willpower so heres hoping.

Lost about a third of my bankroll in two days but its keeping me distracted, I reckon I am playing 50% more hands than normal.

Maxally, funny enough I took home lighters from tenerife and **** which are now going to polish neighbours, guess its a tourist thing lol.

Thanks for the support so far its helping me so much keep it coming
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well thats another 24 hours over with successfully. Today I have used patches, Niquitin lozenges, Trebor mints, went for a long walk and have even cooked the supper and hoovered, the grapes are in the freezer and I have bought a dartboard lol.  Think when I go back to work next week it will be better. Walked past a pub earlier and there were three smokers standing outside, had to hold my breath. Still going for a couple of pints the morn so it will be a good test of my willpower so heres hoping. Lost about a third of my bankroll in two days but its keeping me distracted, I reckon I am playing 50% more hands than normal. Maxally, funny enough I took home lighters from tenerife and **** which are now going to polish neighbours, guess its a tourist thing lol. Thanks for the support so far its helping me so much keep it coming
    Posted by torryboy

excellent well done m8y !

one more tip ,

a punchbag its great to throw a few punchs in ,

if the craving is getting to you .

rover and out !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY :   excellent well done m8y ! one more tip , a punchbag its great to throw a few punchs in , if the craving is getting to you . rover and out !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Ha Ha, honestly thats the first time i have smiled since sat luv it cheers matey
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY : Ha Ha, honestly thats the first time i have smiled since sat luv it cheers matey
    Posted by torryboy
    it does get better m8 you will start to smile more and more each and every day.i was **** to live with,i went completely cold turkey no patches,gum,mints nothin,wake up in the morning sweat soaked then the bad dreams kick in real nightmares,never had dreams like em so realistic used to wake me up wont go into details but they were bad.but thats all gone now get the occasional dream but nothin like they were(d am hillbillys) and im feeling 100% better my cravings are getting less and less and today i,ve not even thought about a smoke even now typing this i dont want one anyway keep it going torryboy you will suceed best of luck...sean
    ps. it affects people in different ways my friend what happend to me above may or proberly not happen to you dont let it put you off