You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY

Comments

• Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited February 2010
    Hope you succeed torryboy it really is one of the toughest things to achieve.I myself have given up twice,both times for 2 years only to start again.gl m8
  • Options
    torryboytorryboy Member Posts: 459
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY:
    Hope you succeed torryboy it really is one of the toughest things to achieve.I myself have given up twice,both times for 2 years only to start again.gl m8
    Posted by dav1964
    Good point dav, guess it aint just a case of getting over first few weeks its a long term challenge.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY : it does get better m8 you will start to smile more and more each and every day.i was **** to live with,i went completely cold turkey no patches,gum,mints nothin,wake up in the morning sweat soaked then the bad dreams kick in real nightmares,never had dreams like em so realistic used to wake me up wont go into details but they were bad.but thats all gone now get the occasional dream but nothin like they were(d am hillbillys) and im feeling 100% better my cravings are getting less and less and today i,ve not even thought about a smoke even now typing this i dont want one anyway keep it going torryboy you will suceed best of luck...sean ps. it affects people in different ways my friend what happend to me above may or proberly not happen to you dont let it put you off
    Posted by stokefc
    Stoke, ur a legend going cold turkey, I lasted two days and was up the wall till I got patches etc.
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited February 2010
    hiya torry--good luck with it-- saw you were the only one registered for a deep stack this morning--- I thought, I'm not floppin playing him all on my own, not in his mood--lol---you better wait till a few are registered before you do next time, or you'll never get a game--lol--hope you do it---you know it makes sense!--good luck m8
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    I havent had one this year so far, but ive tried to give up loads of times.  It would be impossible without the patches, and it has to be the 21mg 24hr ones, obv taking them off before bed as the crazy dreams would put me in a mental hospital.

gl torry, for me the hardest part is when Im having a drink or playing poker.  I have purposly not gone out yet this yr as I dont trust myself yet
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited February 2010
    I havent had one this year so far, but ive tried to give up loads of times.  It would be impossible without the patches, and it has to be the 21mg 24hr ones, obv taking them off before bed as the crazy dreams would put me in a mental hospital. gl torry, for me the hardest part is when Im having a drink or playing poker.  I have purposly not gone out yet this yr as I dont trust myself yet
    Posted by OMahonyO
    I did it and im glad i never used them, yes the cravings are worse at the start but they were not as long term i found, it truelly is mainly in the mind at the start, 1 day at a time and will power to say no!! As i said earlier, you have to do something to occupy your mind and hands (no jokes lol) when the craving starts, thats why i threw darts.
  • Options
    labrat64labrat64 Member Posts: 987
    edited February 2010
    Just today, i have received my certificate from my doctor's for successfully giving up smoking.(obviously, i only did it so i would get said certificate lol)

Seriously, i smoked from age 13 till now, (45) and never once stopped for good despite numerous attempts. But finally with some bribing by the kids, and the fact that my daughter's had another heart op-see other threads- i have managed to become an ex smoker. I'm so proud that i've done it and hope you can do it to torryboy. One thing i do promise, I will never become one of those ex-smokers who feel the need to tell smokers off for doing what they love, Smoke!!

By the way, i've put my unused patches on ebay if you want to buy some lol

Good luck, it's hard, but it's do-able
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Just today, i have received my certificate from my doctor's for successfully giving up smoking.(obviously, i only did it so i would get said certificate lol) Seriously, i smoked from age 13 till now, (45) and never once stopped for good despite numerous attempts. But finally with some bribing by the kids, and the fact that my daughter's had another heart op-see other threads- i have managed to become an ex smoker. I'm so proud that i've done it and hope you can do it to torryboy. One thing i do promise, I will never become one of those ex-smokers who feel the need to tell smokers off for doing what they love, Smoke!! By the way, i've put my unused patches on ebay if you want to buy some lol Good luck, it's hard, but it's do-able
    Posted by labrat64
    theres nothing like kids to guilt you into giving up.  the final straw for me was my 3 yr old girl saying `i want to smoke when im older`,  and my 1yr old lad trying to copy the sound I make when inhaling and exhaling
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just today, i have received my certificate from my doctor's for successfully giving up smoking.(obviously, i only did it so i would get said certificate lol) Seriously, i smoked from age 13 till now, (45) and never once stopped for good despite numerous attempts. But finally with some bribing by the kids, and the fact that my daughter's had another heart op-see other threads- i have managed to become an ex smoker. I'm so proud that i've done it and hope you can do it to torryboy. One thing i do promise, I will never become one of those ex-smokers who feel the need to tell smokers off for doing what they love, Smoke!! By the way, i've put my unused patches on ebay if you want to buy some lol Good luck, it's hard, but it's do-able
    Posted by labrat64
    Me to, 13 until 49 (how much money have we spent in 68 years between us lol)

Give your daughter my regards please
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hiya torry--good luck with it-- saw you were the only one registered for a deep stack this morning--- I thought, I'm not floppin playing him all on my own, not in his mood--lol---you better wait till a few are registered before you do next time, or you'll never get a game--lol--hope you do it---you know it makes sense!--good luck m8
    Posted by oynutter
    And I bubbled in that one with 6 entrants lol.

Thanks oynutter
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    btw, for a bit of incentive.  i was in shrewsbury train station today and 20 besons were £6.79 w.. t.. f..
  • Options
    xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    I have stopped smoking (and started again) more times than Phil Taylor has hit the bullseye!!! However, I was given some great advice by one of my umpteen quit buddy's (obviously preferring to share my misery with which ever unsuspecting soul I can talk in to quitting with me...) so share my knowledge I will:- Freeze some grapes and when you have a killer craving go to the freezer and pop a frozen grape in your mouth...by the time it melts enough to eat it your craving will have passed...Unfortunately I started EVERY TIME because free will and freedom of choice are particular downfalls of mine...lol Will be joining you on the non smoking train 2 weeks tomorrow (for the nth and hopefully LAST time...lol) Good Luck Sir - keep up the good work :o) X
    Posted by TRIP5
    Just tried ur freezing grapes idea.......Mmmmmmm very interesting.......love it :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY : Let us know on thursday that you didnt smoke wed night, if you dont then you know youve got past the 1st big hurdle!
    Posted by loonytoons
    Well its thursday morning and still smoke free.

Had a few pints last night at golf club and by 10 o clock I was feeling it but stayed determined.

My smoking deterants are building up lol, so far I am using patches, nicotine mints, trebor mints, frozen grapes, dart board, punch bag and good old poker.

Yep still losing although cashed in 4k and a deep stack but terrible in the DYMs so keeping away from them for a while.

Thing is how long can I blame stopping smoking for my losing streak lol
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010
    lol the money ur saving will cover ur losses. Isnt stopping smoking supposed to make u eat loads? Thats gotta be a bonus get ya chinese on speed-dial!

DOHH
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: STOPPED SMOKING AND PLAYING POKER BADLY : Well its thursday morning and still smoke free. Had a few pints last night at golf club and by 10 o clock I was feeling it but stayed determined. My smoking deterants are building up lol, so far I am using patches, nicotine mints, trebor mints, frozen grapes, dart board, punch bag and good old poker. Yep still losing although cashed in 4k and a deep stack but terrible in the DYMs so keeping away from them for a while. Thing is how long can I blame stopping smoking for my losing streak lol
    Posted by torryboy
    well-done ,

just remember 1 cig = 1000 more,

keep it going,

you will have good days and mad bad craving days,

throw a punch in that bag from me,

jezzzzzus noooooooo not your mrs the punch bag !

rover and out !
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,544
    edited February 2010

KEEP IT GOING Torryboy. Last night was a big test for you mate and you came through that with flying colours, WELL DONE!!!!!! I always found a dish of everton mints by my pc helped when I was trying to give up, play poker and kept on getting bad beats.......or get yerself a cat to kick!*

*this is just a saying and is no way an instruction for pet abuse    :)

• Options
    edited February 2010
    KEEP IT GOING Torryboy. Last night was a big test for you mate and you came through that with flying colours, WELL DONE!!!!!! I always found a dish of everton mints by my pc helped when I was trying to give up, play poker and kept on getting bad beats.......or get yerself a cat to kick!* *this is just a saying and is no way an instruction for pet abuse    :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Cheers for that.

All pets are in the safety of the tree outside lol
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,544
    edited February 2010

Its been a few days Torryboy.......how r u doing m8?? Did you get through the week end ok? Be honest and let us all know!!....If you need more support and/or encouragement, just ask.....you know the forum guys will come up with the goods .
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited February 2010
    yeh where are your updates??
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    edited February 2010
    i,ve still stopped tis very hard tho