You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Break time

acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi all

Well, varience has got hold big time, my bankroll is dropping way too quick, even though I am playing at 5%, so its time to take a break and re-evaluate after that, I am not really sure how long the break will last, or whether I will be back at all, or keep popping into the site or not, so, just in case can someone take over the advertising please?

Good luck all :(

Comments

• Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2010
    i feel the same right now! im going to have a break for at least 3 days now as im playing too much losing too much!!

sometimes its good to step away from things.

ive withdrawn most of my money and will start again trying to build it up again.

can anyone tell me how long it takes to get deposited in your bank account please??
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010
    Thats the beauty of the bankroll I suppose, gives u opportunity to doe stuff like take a break, rather than whiping u out completely within a week or so. 

I wudn't be able to do it, Im too addicted and to self confident to ever admit defeat, lol, Ill end up at the top, or ROCKKKKKKKKK bottom, Im sure it'll be the top though ;)

Good decision to take a break from the game itself Barry, but I'm sure we'll still see u round n about the forum.

Hope it works for u.

DOHH

• Options
    JockBMWJockBMW Member Posts: 2,653
    edited February 2010
    Ah Come on Barry, wouldn't be the same without you here,   why don't you just try something different at a low stake,  a change is as good as a rest they say 

I hear about Variance a lot, on here. I'm sure it must be explained in one of the books I've got but could someone explain it to me in simple terms.

I'm assuming it just means you start loosing for a while instead of winning 
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Break time:
    Ah Come on Barry, wouldn't be the same without you here,   why don't you just try something different at a low stake,  a change is as good as a rest they say  I hear about Variance a lot, on here. I'm sure it must be explained in one of the books I've got but could someone explain it to me in simple terms. I'm assuming it just means you start loosing for a while instead of winning 
    Posted by JockBMW
    Yes, that's just about sums it up.

In mathematical terms "variance" is a term used to describe the difference between actual results and the average result.
    In poker it is used much more loosely.

Effectively, if you toss a coin you have a 50/50 chance of the result being heads or tails (assuming it doesn't land on its edge). However, this doesn't mean that if you flip a coin twice that you will get one head and one tail (in fact this will only happen 50% of the time given an unbiased coin). It doesn't even mean that if you flip it 100 times that you will get 50 heads and 50 tails. However, over a very large number of tosses, we would expect that the actual results get close to 50/50. The short term difference between the expected results and the actual results is termed "variance" by poker players.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Break time : Yes, that's just about sums it up. In mathematical terms "variance" is a term used to describe the difference between actual results and the average result. In poker it is used much more loosely. Effectively, if you toss a coin you have a 50/50 chance of the result being heads or tails (assuming it doesn't land on its edge). However, this doesn't mean that if you flip a coin twice that you will get one head and one tail (in fact this will only happen 50% of the time given an unbiased coin). It doesn't even mean that if you flip it 100 times that you will get 50 heads and 50 tails. However, over a very large number of tosses, we would expect that the actual results get close to 50/50. The short term difference between the expected results and the actual results is termed "variance" by poker players.
    Posted by MereNovice

Excellent Mere, thanks for that.  Why weren't you my University lecturer when I was doing statistics ;)

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Break time : Excellent Mere, thanks for that.  Why weren't you my University lecturer when I was doing statistics ;)
    Posted by JockBMW

Aw, thanks.
    I'm sure that your lecturer would have described variance as the "average squared deviation from the mean" but that's not really relevant to many poker players!    :-)
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2010
    ahhhhhhh baz soz to hear this m8y,

hope it turns for you ,

you well and truly deserve it to,

try low stake double ups,

these can be very good when in a dry run .

• Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited February 2010
    Hurry back soon Barry,

Stay within the forums. I too, am currently trying out other things.

Nothing at all against Sky or the games here, but fancied a change and new personal challenge.

It doesnt stop me having the forum pages open constantly.

Don't suppose Sky are overly chuffed, free forum entertainment and paying no rake to Sky!!

Don't worry Rich, I will be back paying my way in a week or two.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Break time : Yes, that's just about sums it up. In mathematical terms "variance" is a term used to describe the difference between actual results and the average result. In poker it is used much more loosely. Effectively, if you toss a coin you have a 50/50 chance of the result being heads or tails (assuming it doesn't land on its edge). However, this doesn't mean that if you flip a coin twice that you will get one head and one tail (in fact this will only happen 50% of the time given an unbiased coin). It doesn't even mean that if you flip it 100 times that you will get 50 heads and 50 tails. However, over a very large number of tosses, we would expect that the actual results get close to 50/50. The short term difference between the expected results and the actual results is termed "variance" by poker players.
    Posted by MereNovice
    You ignored the OUTSIDE possibility of it landing on it's side!!!

Didn't equate that into your formula did you!!!!!

Fancy not taking all the variables into things!!!

Vince, you must be losing your touch!

Reminded me of the old joke, 2 students discussing what they were to do one evening.

One said let's toss a coin, heads we go to the pub, tails we go to the nightclub and if it lands on it's side,we stay in and study!!

P.S. I am now 1 post away from entering the exclusive '1000' club.

I want to make it memorable. Any ideas what I should spend it on???

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I have just played my first ever Omaha DYM.  for the grand total of 60p

It was a hoot, the guys on the table were brilliant, full of advice and very forgiving of my dumb questions.

Most fun I've had on the tables in awhile.

As I said, change is as good as a rest.  try something different............. (Not suggesting 60p DYM omaha, but you know what I mean)

Oh and I won lol
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    g `my poker stoeIn Response to Re: Break time:
    In Response to Re: Break time : You ignored the OUTSIDE possibility of it landing on it's side!!! Didn't equate that into your formula did you!!!!! Fancy not taking all the variables into things!!! Vince, you must be losing your touch! Reminded me of the old joke, 2 students discussing what they were to do one evening. One said let's toss a coin, heads we go to the pub, tails we go to the nightclub and if it lands on it's side,we stay in and study!! P.S. I am now 1 post away from entering the exclusive '1000' club. I want to make it memorable. Any ideas what I should spend it on???
    Posted by Hale72

do a big `my poker story`, post.  how u started, br swings, biggest wins/losses, where u hope to be in 5yrs etc.  those posts are always a good read.

as for bazza, you`l be back. they ALWAYS come back.  gl
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,245
    edited February 2010

Barry, it's very brave, & wise, to take a break when you are running bad. I admire you immensely for it.

But do try & hang around the Forums & the Rail, you are furniture here, & it would not be the same without you.

Take care bud.
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited February 2010
    you are furniture here, & it would not be the same without you.
    Posted by Tikay10

!!!

• Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited February 2010
    stay around if only for your new found, favourite, shed competition!

;)
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited February 2010
    stay around if only for your new found, favourite, shed competition! ;)
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Lol, yup gotta get that entry into a tourny ;), think I am that favourite easy chair tikay ;)
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010
    When you gotta take a break from playing then you've just gotta do it. I think I need to as I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind for it at the moment. However for me the forum is completely seperate from the game so would always stick around here posting my cak :) It takes my mind off things.
  • Options
    Ms_ChipsMs_Chips Member Posts: 256
    edited February 2010
    I seen one time on the t.v this guy had a kit kat and everything was fine again.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited February 2010
    I just had cash session then AQ lost to Q9 twice in about 15 minutes, did most my stack over both. I knew I had to get out there straight away or I might go a litle crazy lol.

In the break I realised I played both situations right but was subject to evil luck, if I didn't take the break I would have done a lot more harm. You have to have breaks Barry if the cards arn't goin your way, hope the luck changes when you return. :)
  • Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited February 2010
    I seen one time on the t.v this guy had a kit kat and everything was fine again.
    Posted by Ms_Chips
    You are watching far too much telly ms chips, you need to "Have a Break" lol
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010
    Have a hamlet :)