You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Being called a station

OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
This hand arose last night.  At the end of it the villain in question called me a station quite a few times, and maybe I was.
I would usually brush comments like this off, but this was from quite a decent player and forum reg who seems to know his stuff, so I am open to critisism here.
I am usually on miniview but had this table on standard view and could obv see the chat, which also makes me wonder what else I get called in the chatbox that I dont know about lol.
tvrchimp11 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £5.80
passpat2- Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £9.42
  Your hole cards

xxxx
Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £18.90
DodgySkag Fold        
OMahonyO Call   £0.80 £1.90 £18.51
CLOUDS Call   £0.80 £2.70 £19.93
tvrchimp11 Fold        
passpat2- Fold        
Flop

• K

xxxx
Bet   £2.03 £4.73 £16.87
OMahonyO Call   £2.03 £6.76 £16.48
CLOUDS Fold        
Turn

xxxx
Bet   £4.80 £11.56 £12.07
OMahonyO Call   £4.80 £16.36 £11.68
River

xxxx
Check        
OMahonyO All-in   £11.68 £28.04 £0.00
xxxx
Call   £11.68 £39.72 £0.39
xxxx
Show
  • A
  • K

OMahonyO Show

OMahonyO Win Three 9s £37.92   £37.92

Comments

• Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2010
    yep that was a clapham junction !
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    Suppose it depends why your calling and what you put them on.  Context is everything but i prob would be firing a raise in on the flop to find out if he has that king (although with no history the pre flop raise and 3/4 pot bet on the flop looks like he's strong here)
  • Options
    Ms_ChipsMs_Chips Member Posts: 256
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Being called a station:
    This hand arose last night.  At the end of it the villain in question called me a station quite a few times, and maybe I was. I would usually brush comments like this off, but this was from quite a decent player and forum reg who seems to know his stuff, so I am open to critisism here. I am usually on miniview but had this table on standard view and could obv see the chat, which also makes me wonder what else I get called in the chatbox that I dont know about lol. tvrchimp11 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £5.80 passpat2- Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £9.42   Your hole cards 9 9       xxxx Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £18.90 DodgySkag Fold         OMahonyO Call   £0.80 £1.90 £18.51 CLOUDS Call   £0.80 £2.70 £19.93 tvrchimp11 Fold         passpat2- Fold         Flop     K 3 6       xxxx Bet   £2.03 £4.73 £16.87 OMahonyO Call   £2.03 £6.76 £16.48 CLOUDS Fold         Turn     8       xxxx Bet   £4.80 £11.56 £12.07 OMahonyO Call   £4.80 £16.36 £11.68 River     9       xxxx Check         OMahonyO All-in   £11.68 £28.04 £0.00 xxxx Call   £11.68 £39.72 £0.39 xxxx Show A K       OMahonyO Show 9 9       OMahonyO Win Three 9s £37.92   £37.92
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Okay, you know he's a decent player and a reg. So you need to understand that here is UTG range is at his tighest. I don't know how many tables you play but you need to pay close attention to his cbet pattern because here he has double barrelled. Good players will double barrell this with AQ, AJ....

You need to reraise the flop to slow him down and ask the question. if he comes over the top, you know your crushed and save your self some money otherwise this will be a big leak in your game.

But your a good player Mahony so pay closer attention to developing a read on your opponents.
  • Options
    philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
    edited February 2010
    This hand arose last night.  At the end of it the villain in question called me a station quite a few times, and maybe I was. I would usually brush comments like this off, but this was from quite a decent player and forum reg who seems to know his stuff, so I am open to critisism here. I am usually on miniview but had this table on standard view and could obv see the chat, which also makes me wonder what else I get called in the chatbox that I dont know about lol. tvrchimp11 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £5.80 passpat2- Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £9.42   Your hole cards 9 9       xxxx Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £18.90 DodgySkag Fold         OMahonyO Call   £0.80 £1.90 £18.51 CLOUDS Call   £0.80 £2.70 £19.93 tvrchimp11 Fold         passpat2- Fold         Flop     K 3 6       xxxx Bet   £2.03 £4.73 £16.87 OMahonyO Call   £2.03 £6.76 £16.48 CLOUDS Fold         Turn     8       xxxx Bet   £4.80 £11.56 £12.07 OMahonyO Call   £4.80 £16.36 £11.68 River     9       xxxx Check         OMahonyO All-in   £11.68 £28.04 £0.00 xxxx Call   £11.68 £39.72 £0.39 xxxx Show A K       OMahonyO Show 9 9       OMahonyO Win Three 9s £37.92   £37.92
    Posted by OMahonyO
    id be questioning xxxx call at the end,ur still in the pot after all xxxx questions,and he assumes that hes still ahead with 1 pair,you couldv quite easily flopped a set or 2 pair.. yes you get lukky,but you were ahead preflop and IF all the money had gone in preflop  the outcome would be the same..,
  • Options
    sikassikas Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2010
    hmm.,...yeah a bit fishy imo, need to consider he has raised utg, then bets 3/4 pot oop into two players, then bets 3/4 pot again, im not sure what part of his range u put him on that he would do that, and what part of this range ur beating... even if he had JJ-QQ he mite slow down a bit on the turn. In future what u could do is re-raise the flop to get a better idea of where u are in the hand, in this case way behind...but prob would be beneficial in future similar situations
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    raise preflop, as played fold turn
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station:
    Posted by Cowgomoo

Without any other read, call pre, call flop. Fold turn. OOP c/f flop.
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station : Without any other read, call pre, call flop. Fold turn. OOP c/f flop.
    Posted by beaneh
    Is this stake dependent? Because I dont think YOU would flat 9's pre against an unknown at ur reg level
  • Options
    jimifloydjimifloyd Member Posts: 148
    edited February 2010
    Posted by OMahonyO
    That was me you call the flop and turn for a 2 outer roughtly 20/1 shot to hit.
    I didnt put you on a set as you would have reraise before the river as it was a flush drawing board.
    I only regret not shoving the turn but your exscuse for call was that i 2 barrel with air lol.
    Anyone who knows me knows im a nit but i ll mix it up when i wanna.

I knew u had me beat at the river but was willing to pay to just to see as had many 3 outers busting me at that time and was miffed.

If you think that i 2 barrel with air all the time thats fine i could do with that image,no hard feelings now but im just human ive got emotions and as i see you in the forum alot giving advice i didn't think you would do summit like that.

Gl at the tables all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station : Is this stake dependent? Because I dont think YOU would flat 9's pre against an unknown at ur reg level
    Posted by Cowgomoo

You need a sick read mate to be 3 betting the co vs an utg open with 99. I'd rather have J4s.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station : You need a sick read mate to be 3 betting the co vs an utg open with 99. I'd rather have J4s.
    Posted by beaneh
    Totally agree if i come over the top all in pre does he really wanna flip for his stack especially as in my postion my range is way ahead of 99.It would be a minus EV call to my range although on this occasion its a race and he woulda riverred me long term he would leak money left right and center.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Being called a station : That was me you call the flop and turn for a 2 outer roughtly 20/1 shot to hit. I didnt put you on a set as you would have reraise before the river as it was a flush drawing board. I only regret not shoving the turn but your exscuse for call was that i 2 barrel with air lol. Anyone who knows me knows im a nit but i ll mix it up when i wanna. I knew u had me beat at the river but was willing to pay to just to see as had many 3 outers busting me at that time and was miffed. If you think that i 2 barrel with air all the time thats fine i could do with that image,no hard feelings now but im just human ive got emotions and as i see you in the forum alot giving advice i didn't think you would do summit like that. Gl at the tables all.
    Posted by jimifloyd

You've gotta remember he's not calling the flop thinking that you have AK really now is he!!! 
  • Options
    CardGeniusCardGenius Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2010
    Posted by Cowgomoo

Really?? re raise a reg in utg with 99?? I think that may be a bit aggro if he re pops then what do you do? if he flats do you know anymore than if you call and try and hit your set? I am in no way saying your wrong just wondering whats you thinking hear??
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station : You've gotta remember he's not calling the flop thinking that you have AK really now is he!!! 
    Posted by beaneh
    There is so much more than ak beating him im asking the questions yet if he doesnt believe me why no reraise.If he thinks hes good get his money in before the river but to me hes calling streets for over a 20/1 shot.You can all play how u wanna thats up to you im righting a short response beaneh the flop call wasn,t bad i agree if i check the turn then he thinks hes good.I called him a station in regrds to the situation of calling streets not the flop call.Its a genralization why nitpick?
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2010
    i dont see the need in calling anyone a station,fish,etc* it wont change anything ie the result of the hand or the way the player plays,i prefer to say nh and make a few notes on them.

* i admit to making exceptions to this when called by 8 2 off pre flop for their stack!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jimi, I would call you on the flop because I am ahead of lots of AQ/AJ type hands and still flipping/ahead ish of flush draws.  I would then see how you play the turn. I am NOT 20/1 vs a flush draw. 

Being a calling station in holdem isn't the worst thing for the pure reason that it's blooming well hard to actually hit the flop in holdem!

You want people calling you incorrectly so I wouldn't have a go at them when you do. Rather next time I raise K2o and hit Kxx i'd be happy betting like mad against mahoney the fish who cant fold a pocket pair!! Do you see what I mean? 
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have just read back my post. and all I can think is 

MAHONEY!!!!

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Jimi, I would call you on the flop because I am ahead of lots of AQ/AJ type hands and still flipping/ahead ish of flush draws.  I would then see how you play the turn. I am NOT 20/1 vs a flush draw.  Being a calling station in holdem isn't the worst thing for the pure reason that it's blooming well hard to actually hit the flop in holdem! You want people calling you incorrectly so I wouldn't have a go at them when you do. Rather next time I raise K2o and hit Kxx i'd be happy betting like mad against mahoney the fish who cant fold a pocket pair!! Do you see what I mean? 
    Posted by beaneh
    I deffo see what you mean and i respect your game but im not righting an essay on hear for myself just quick points on the matter.I didn't want my laundry airing but it was.

It was at a bad spell of 3outers bustin me at the time m8 like i said im human i gotta let off some steam.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station : I deffo see what you mean and i respect your game but im not righting an essay on hear for myself just quick points on the matter.I didn't want my laundry airing but it was. It was at a bad spell of 3outers bustin me at the time m8 like i said im human i gotta let off some steam.
    Posted by jimifloyd

yup poker sucks balls. and every hand where you are not 100% to win has the possibility of sucking like balls.

Taking a break and coming back refreshed always helps. :)

Gl at the tables.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Being called a station : yup poker sucks balls. and every hand where you are not 100% to win has the possibility of sucking like balls. Taking a break and coming back refreshed always helps. :) Gl at the tables.
    Posted by beaneh
    thx m8 and i did lol not a long 1 though.

gl to you too.