You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

another little spot to ponder.

HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,139
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxxxxxxSmall blind  150.00 150.00 2952.50
xxxxBig blind  300.00 450.00 1202.50
  Your hole cards

NEWRaise  1050.00 1500.00 2070.00
Now I realise this is OH8 but I would really love to see everyone comment, perhaps someone like TK or PIngu could relate this holding to an HE hand for reference? (I have a suit but its not nutted and I have a marginal lo)
5 players remaining, I have 3k, other stack is 1.4k. I am in cut off and the aforementioned 1.4k stack has folded.
For background The raiser is a new player, ranges so far have leaned towards eclectic HE type hands and I would fully expect him to call here judging from previous encounters.
I am definitely not locked here but I have a good sized stack and there are two player with less than half my chips.

What would you do?

Comments

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2017
    Jamming. We are likely to be very strong v range given your notes. 

I would only fold that hand to a wide open range if we were in a unique dym bubble situation like another player has micro stack.
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,139
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Phantom, just realised that the stack sizes are not visible;

sb has 2.9k behind
    bb has 1.2k behind
    raiser has 2.1k behind (after raise)
    I have 3k
    folder has 1.4k
    edited January 2017
    Phants, what kind of HE hand would you relate my hand to?
    edited January 2017
    bb stack might change things a little.

Folding gets a bit more consideration due to possibility of their call whether we shove or pass.

Generally we do not want to go to war with another larger stack.

But on balance we are not locked and this seems a good spot to jam. 
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,699
    edited January 2017
    I don't like it. Your hand is at risk of getting scooped. If this player is just smashing pot without thinking then it's likely they'll either come unstuck soon enough or will pressure and bust others.

Strange comparison to try to make but I'd think of it like calling with A9 in Holdem when you're pretty confident oppo has JT+ QJ KT+. You're likely ahead, but not by much.
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: another little spot to ponder.:
    I don't like it. Your hand is at risk of getting scooped. If this player is just smashing pot without thinking then it's likely they'll either come unstuck soon enough or will pressure and bust others. Strange comparison to try to make but I'd think of it like calling with A9 in Holdem when you're pretty confident oppo has JT+ QJ KT+. You're likely ahead, but not by much.
    Posted by bbMike

Thanks Mike, I think this will better help some HE DYMers relate to this spot.
  • markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited January 2017
    Tricky spot I guess. Regular OH8 SNG's are more my thing TBH but...

I can see why people would advocate a fold but I think I would be jamming for several reasons...

Firstly, if we fold this, what is our calling/3b range? Are we just folding everything that is opened for a raise?

Secondly, if our range is so tight that we will fold this then everytime we meet an aggro table at these kind of blind levels it will be very hard to maintain our stack. If a couple of orbits go past and we are down to 2100 (probably by then at 200-400 level) then we are going to have to be prepared to be a lot more aggro with much more marginal holdings than what we have currently in order to maintain our stack.

I also think the comparisons with Hold'em are a little light on the ranges. I would equate this to QQ or maybe KK. I understand we will have less % chance of scooping here than we would with QQ or KK in Holdem but we can also get split pots.

Talking of split pots, that is something that has to be factored in here. It isn't necessarily all or bust.

I don't have an OH8 calculator handy but I would guess we are only about 20-25% to be scooped. Probably near 45% to scoop the whole pot and 30-35% to split. If we bust 1/4 or 1/5 times calling, are we really going to cash 75%-80%+ by folding? We are still 5 handed with blinds going up fast so I am not so sure, I would guess by folding the average player would probably have a 70-75% cash rate from that position. If we scoop then we really have it locked up, if we split then we are as we were but have at least let the table know we have some sort of calling/3b range and aren't a pushover which also has to be factored in for this and future games.

So basically I don't think there is 'a whole lot in it' but I would be reraising here. This also will usually get the blinds to fold and at least they are bleeding a few chips off. I can see the merits in folding and applying pressure in subsequent unopened pots in position in an attempt to pick up uncontested chips but 5 handed I would be reraising.
    edited January 2017
    I used to ask about equalivant HE hands and Tikay always said it is misleading to make comparisons.

I am beginning to understand that view.

Ranges in NL and O8 are very different, given the more extreme advantages you can have in NL and the added complexity of card combinations and split pots in O8.

Much better to have a feel for where we are in O8 terms and think scoop/split odds and marky has already had a stab at those.

We should be a huge favourite for the high and against a wide range opener who seems new to PLO8 I doubt we are far behind on the low (which might not come) and we could still be ahead for that pre or win through a counterfeit 2 or 3.

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,471
    edited January 2017
    The above posts show up my lack of knowledge here
    I'd fold 
    edited January 2017
    ^ never a huge favourite for the high with this hand. Not unless we give them an Axxx non suited not connecting hand. I'd fold presuming this aggression is relentless, we don't have to blink first.
    edited January 2017
    Maybe I am giving opener too little credit from jimis note but I would have them potting KKxx QQxx KQJJ and maybe KQ23 not just A combos.
    edited January 2017
    I've given them less credit from being a new player with eclectic HE hands, could be this player doesn't know PLO8? In that case I'm widening the range such that there are more unpaired hands weighting the range further to hands suitable for cracking Aces with weird 2 pairs and straights etc.
    edited January 2017
    I've given them less credit from being a new player with eclectic HE hands, could be this player doesn't know PLO8? In that case I'm widening the range such that there are more unpaired hands weighting the range further to hands suitable for cracking Aces with weird 2 pairs and straights etc.
    Posted by bbMike

This was exactly my thinking and the range I have him on.
    edited January 2017
    A few examples (based on simulations where exact hand not used) to nearest whole % Your hand v....

Any 4 cards = 66 % Equity

AA23= 41% Equity
    AA56 = 52% Equity (Only a small chance of these AA hands given our blockers and perception of villains range)
    A234ds = 58% Equity
    KK23ds = 60% Equity 
    AQ25= 60% Equity
    QJT9ds = 66% Equity
    QJJT = 70% Equity
    KKxx= 72% Equity

Excluding the AA hands we are at worst 58% for the Hi v the QJT9ds hand
    edited January 2017
    A few examples (based on simulations where exact hand not used) to nearest whole % Your hand v.... Any 4 cards = 66 % Equity AA23= 41% Equity AA56 = 52% Equity (Only a small chance of these AA hands given our blockers and perception of villains range) A234ds = 58% Equity KK23ds = 60% Equity  AQ25= 60% Equity QJT9ds = 66% Equity QJJT = 70% Equity KKxx= 72% Equity Excluding the AA hands we are at worst 58% for the Hi v the QJT9ds hand
    Posted by Phantom66

Nice one Phantom, what tool do you use for this? 
    I cannot get the most popular ones for mac
    edited January 2017
    I used http://www.propokertools.com/simulations

It's free and web-based although you can download it to desktop (dont know about mac)

edited January 2017
    Thank you
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,267
    edited January 2017
    Tricky spot I guess. Regular OH8 SNG's are more my thing TBH but... I can see why people would advocate a fold but I think I would be jamming for several reasons... Firstly, if we fold this, what is our calling/3b range? Are we just folding everything that is opened for a raise? Secondly, if our range is so tight that we will fold this then everytime we meet an aggro table at these kind of blind levels it will be very hard to maintain our stack. If a couple of orbits go past and we are down to 2100 (probably by then at 200-400 level) then we are going to have to be prepared to be a lot more aggro with much more marginal holdings than what we have currently in order to maintain our stack. I also think the comparisons with Hold'em are a little light on the ranges. I would equate this to QQ or maybe KK. I understand we will have less % chance of scooping here than we would with QQ or KK in Holdem but we can also get split pots. Talking of split pots, that is something that has to be factored in here. It isn't necessarily all or bust. I don't have an OH8 calculator handy but I would guess we are only about 20-25% to be scooped. Probably near 45% to scoop the whole pot and 30-35% to split. If we bust 1/4 or 1/5 times calling, are we really going to cash 75%-80%+ by folding? We are still 5 handed with blinds going up fast so I am not so sure, I would guess by folding the average player would probably have a 70-75% cash rate from that position. If we scoop then we really have it locked up, if we split then we are as we were but have at least let the table know we have some sort of calling/3b range and aren't a pushover which also has to be factored in for this and future games. So basically I don't think there is 'a whole lot in it' but I would be reraising here. This also will usually get the blinds to fold and at least they are bleeding a few chips off. I can see the merits in folding and applying pressure in subsequent unopened pots in position in an attempt to pick up uncontested chips but 5 handed I would be reraising.
    Posted by markycash
    Well I was going to post but then read this and pretty much agree with all of it so won't bother! Thanks Mark.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,750
    edited January 2017

Good thread Hendo.

First, let's look at our hand strength in isolation.

This is a Top 100 hand in a ranking of some 5,300 "O8 Hand Rankings". It will scoop some 20% of the time, & chop 35% of the time. It's a very big hand, particularly late stages when our decisions are all pre-flop & we won't be playing down the streets at it will all be going in pre.

Early doors, with the blinds small, it is MUCH harder to play, as you'll mostly get a few callers & it becomes very hard to play on most flops that contain low cards.     

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,750
    edited January 2017

I think I am jamming here, though there are some caveats - see next post.

Blinds at 150-300, & you don't say how soon it is before they go 200-400.  It's amazing how quickly our stack gets eroded by blinds at these levels, & in 2 levels time, we might be wishing we had jammed this, especially if the shorty doubles.

I've seen better spots, & I don't love it, but all other things being equal (see next post) I'm getting it in.

And who knows, the Opener might even fold.