You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog

Comments

• Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited June 2017
    Yes, definitely not rolled enough for any more £11 TDYMs for a while.

I haven't decided between seeing if I can make a profit at the £1.10s or going to the £5.50s. I think the latter will be just as tough as the £11s at this time of year so I may become a micro staker.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited June 2017
    I love reading your posts

I don't love reading that you've had a bad run though!
    Maybe try normal speed dyms?
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2017
    Hope things turn around quickfeet imo I think the low stakes games are harder people in these games work harder to keep their cash and on the pollen count you should think about a move to Scotland it's always low but bring a sweater :-) gl sir
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Jac35, aye normal speed DYMs is an idea but when I used to play them it would take the best part of an hour to get to Level 9 and then I would lose on a coin flip. That would make me tilt! Especially as I was only 1 tabling in those days - often with my entire bankroll!

@weecheez1, ochaye... I hear you have midgies instead of pollen up there... or is it midgets??????
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Last week’s balance £107.56

This week’s games

9 £1.10 TDYMs

SPT Freeroll – 277/784

1 SPT Frenzy – 14/14

Current Balance = £118.51

So £10.97 profit this week but £8+ was cashback earned in the previous week.

Not much time for poker… busiest time of the year for motor racing writing so what I do next with my battered and bruised BR is still up the air. I did do some £1.10 TDYMs while playing the SPT MTTs on Saturday night and there seemed a higher proportion of away players than at £11 level. May be people don’t mind losing £1.10 if something more exciting pops up. Mid-week they still often become stalemates and huge Blind lotteries.

Before he became a mechanic, my dad was a lorry driver. This was in the pre-war years and he fired my imagination when I was child with his tales of driving down the hills of Wales in very primitive HGVs with inadequate brakes, all told with his dry sense of humour.

Thus before pictures of racing cars filled my bedroom walls they were adorned with the Atkinson “Big A”s, Volvo F12s and Ford Transcontinentals. I read truck magazines long after Dad died until R&D Departments focussed on boring things such as low emissions and quiet engines (who wants a “quiet” engine????).

There are a couple of annual vintage vehicle shows in Cheshire. My mum used to accompany my dad and I to them but she let us know quite vocally that it was a form of torture for her! So, such oily extravaganzas have not been on the agenda for some decades.

But over recent years, with the prospect of a car I could drive myself becoming increasingly realistic, the Kelsall Steam Rally – with its adverts lining part of the route to Oulton Park every Summer – engraved itself on my bucket list.

…and I ticked it off on Saturday.

It was a lovely afternoon wheeling my chair around lines of long forgotten trucks that I adored in my childhood. They claimed to have the largest gathering of ERFs in the country but I have always been a Foden man myself as in the ‘80s they were the bespoke-built Rolls Royces of the trucking World – and there was a smaller field dedicated to them nearby the hordes of ERFs. Interestingly, ERF was founded after the Foden board had a falling out in the 1930s over whether to continue to build steam powered lorries or switch to diesel. ERF = Edwin Richard Foden - the diesel fan who set up his own firm.

Of course, as I love anything with an engine, it was a joy to look at the ERFs too. With their various cabs, axle configurations and bodywork even though there was a field of trucks from the same factory, each had their own personality.

Anorak heaven…

Away from the trucks, there were traction engines – my dad was passionate about steam engines and the smell of the smoke took me back many decades to being with him – shire horses (impressively big but not really my thing, they always look so bored and miserable) and farm tractors of various ages. Some of these were taking part in a tractor pulling demonstration which featured a wheelie-popping John Deere that had a huge Scania truck engine. Mind blowing!

• Options
    edited July 2017

Last month’s balance £118.51

Current Balance = £119.61

I am surprised it is a month since my last update. Been too busy to play much poker as there have been Formula Ford 1600 races to cover almost every weekend. The trainee journo’s from Autosport who I brought in the share my workload seem to be up to speed now. It took them a while though as they needed a fair bit of feedback and coaching but that has given me the opportunity to display my own editorial skills to the editor of Autosport as I have been directing them through him… I’d love it if that led to some paid work from the magazine although at the moment his thoughts are on finding roles for his people who are on work experience. At least he is aware of me – not much more I can do.

Been continuing to get more miles under my belt out on the road. Goal is to drive to the race meeting at Anglesey in a couple of weeks. Have driven as far as Conwy which is about halfway. I have been on the M6 too now as I had to attend a Formula Ford 1600 committee meeting in Manchester – in at the deep end over the 4 lane Thelwall Viaduct! I am finding if I try and keep calm and relaxed my muscles don’t ache as much when holding the tiller although, due to the nature of my disability, that is really tough to do.

…and so to the poker. After the recent losses at £10 TDYMs, I went down to £1 TDYMs where I made a marginal profit in the few games I played but wasn’t really enjoying them that much – they were often just as tight as the £10 ones. The joy of a growing BRM is an important part of the game for me.

Last night I had an hour to spend playing poker for the first time in ages. As the £1 TDYMs were taking a while to load I moved across to the 4p/2p Cash lobby. Two tabling, I finished 17p down which I felt wasn’t too bad having played so little cash. I ran well, hitting lots of draws, but lost a buy-in when holding the King of spades with 4 shovels on the board. Only the Ace of spades could have beaten me and, having gone all in, that’s what the opponent had. Probably shouldn’t have shoved to a raise on the river!

I did find it quite enjoyable, always helps when you have lots of winning hands, and plan to play more cash - time permitting.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Last recorded balance (23rd July) £119.61

Current Balance = £112.40

Summer continued to be busy and to be honest I have been feeling abit disheartened over whether I will ever be profitable at poker. I also felt that TDYMs nowadays last so long*, even at lower buy-ins, they are no longer beatable (*so long being a relative term of course).

I was thinking about switching to cash but worried about my mentality. During a losing session would I keep buying-in because I refused to log off without making a profit. I did that when I first played poker.

I dabbled at 2p/4p about a month ago but didn’t feel comfortable. Then, the other week, I had a nice present from Sky because they “missed me” in the shape of a free entry to the Tuesday Mini Turbo-nutter Bounty Hunter. I lasted 2 hours so didn’t cash but re-discovered my love for the game.

This past week I decided to play 2p/4p for at least an hour a day however, in reality, whenever I have been in profit, I’ve cut and run.

Two tabling, it started badly, I went down to £114 but then ran good all the way to £128. Friday was a nightmare, totally card dead in two sessions which sent me back down to £114. Then this afternoon was another poor session, down to £111 before clawing a pound back this evening.

So… swings, roundabouts and walking into the nuts. My mentality has been ok I think, I guess I’ve become abit more experienced and know I can’t always win.

I am gonna keep going. I’m one of those blokes who never reads the manual but I’m going to watch some cash training videos this week.

Away from poker. I achieved my goal of driving to Anglesey for a race meeting. I needed one break going and 2 coming back to rest my numb arm but I did it. They were really poor driving conditions coming back – heavy rain.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited September 2017
    Good work with the drive
    Hope poker starts to go a bit better for you

Glad to see you back posting
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,293
    edited September 2017

Welcome back Quicky.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Last week’s balance: £112.40

Current Balance = £124.32

I think I am getting the hang of Cash – or did I just run good? You never truly know with poker but I am happy to be almost £12 up on quite low volumes.

I had at least 1 two tabling session every day this week, supposedly an hour each but I am usually ending them as soon as I get into profit – too scared of losing what I’ve won! I can only remember one losing session so things have been going well.

I have watched some poker videos too this week but the more I watch them, the more I think that poker is such a fluid, dynamic game that the most important thing is experience. However, it was quite pleasant watching Liv Boeree even if she deviated away from poker and started talking about charity work too soon during her talk on YouTube at Oxford University.

Away from poker… you may have seen it as the job advert has got lots of publicity on the BBC that Chester are looking for a new manager after sacking Jon McCarthy on Wednesday. Being a small club, I knew Jon quite well. He had previously been the Community Manager in which role his energy and determination brought great benefits to disabled fans.

It was therefore sad to see such a warm-hearted gentlemen leave the club but as we are in the relegation zone and haven’t won at home since December last year it was time for a change. His number 2 Tom Shaw took charge yesterday but he doesn’t feel ready to take on the role full-time. Rumour has it on Social Media there were some quite big names (relatively speaking) in the stands watching the draw against Ebbfleet yesterday so it will be interesting to see who the board selects.

Would you called Justin Edinburgh a big name or just reasonably long?

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog:
    His number 2 Tom Shaw took charge yesterday but he doesn’t feel ready to take on the role full-time. Rumour has it on Social Media there were some quite big names (relatively speaking) in the stands watching the draw against Ebbfleet yesterday so it will be interesting to see who the board selects. Would you called Justin Edinburgh a big name or just reasonably long?
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Justin Edinburgh-long name, short nickname:-"Leith" (showing rare knowledge of Geography for footballers). Not the most talented footballer, but worked hard and made the most of what he had. Same attitude to management, with mixed results. He deserves a break-hope yours is the right club for him.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog : Justin Edinburgh-long name, short nickname:-"Leith" (showing rare knowledge of Geography for footballers). Not the most talented footballer, but worked hard and made the most of what he had. Same attitude to management, with mixed results. He deserves a break-hope yours is the right club for him.
    Posted by Essexphil
    Oh my, very good, very good indeed.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog : Oh my, very good, very good indeed.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Best ever nickname for a footballer undoubtedly belongs to Fitz Hall, the journeyman centre half. Whoever came up with "One Size" Fitz Hall deserves a medal...
  • Options
    edited September 2017

^^^^

Martin Offiah had a pretty good one......"Chariots"

• Options
    edited September 2017
    ^^^^

Except he played rugby league
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Last week’s balance: £124.32

Current Balance = £118.19

Set back Monday tea-time… flush to the Ace was beaten by a straight flush. Finishing a pound or so up on the other table left me with £121.49 in my account which meant when I max bought-in on two 2p/4p tables later that night (aka for £4 each) I had £113.49 – my dreaded number 13 on two counts!

Even though I tried to force it to the back of my mind, telling myself I was a superstitious idiot, things didn’t go well and I turned the £8 total buy-in into £2. Leaving me with £115.xx in my account - £9 down on the day.

Since then my fortunes have fluctuated. Got back to £122.xx, dribbled away a pound, then lost 2 buy-ins on Saturday night only to immediately win one back. Tonight I made a slight profit having got lucky beating pocket Kings with AK.

Also ran abit bad away from the tables. Sent my powerchair for a service on Tuesday but they said it was not financially viable to repair as it only has 12 months of serviceable life left. I did wonder if they were just trying to entice me to spend 5 grand on a new one.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Last week’s balance: £118.19

Current Balance = £128.18

Not a bad week. Played every day except today (Sunday) with only 1 losing session.

The reason I didn’t play today was because I went to Anglesey to watch the motor racing. I was “commentating” via the organising club’s Twitter feed all day then this evening I had to write a report of the meeting for their website.

I am pleased to say that I drove to Anglesey which is a journey of more than 80 miles from my house. I needed one stop going and coming back as my arm gets tired holding the tiller. Sitting still for over an hour and a half is something my body struggles with. Keeping still just to have my photograph taken can be a challenge!

It’s good that I am making progress, this time last year 20 minutes of driving made my arm go dead.

I was discussing the problem with my worn-out wheelchair today with one of my motor racing chums. He reckoned giving it a good coating of Hammerite should see it last a few years longer.

I have had a busy sporting weekend as yesterday I went to see Chester FC win their first home game since 17th December last year under their new manager Marcus Bignot. The opponents were Maidenhead United who are managed by Alan Devonshire. I remember him winning the FA Cup with West Ham in 1980 back when the nation came to a halt on Cup Final day (live football on TV was so rare making it a big deal).

Mr Devonshire is a flat-capped old boy cockney nowadays however, I just looked him up on Wikipedia, and he is only 9 years older than me!

• Options
    edited September 2017

^^^^

Ha, Alan Devonshire has aged a bit. I well remember watching that Cup Final, too.

PS - I appear to be 9 years older than him......

• Options
    edited September 2017
    It doesn't look like the same person, does it?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

It's amazing how we - as a species - age.

There are no exceptions, none at all. Some age better than others, but we all age, there's just no escape.

Nature & life are both extraordinary things.