You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog

Comments

• Options
    cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog:
    Last week’s balance £485.87 This week after 51 tournies (all £11 TDYMs) it is £449.87. Been an up and down week. Lost 6 out of 6 tournies on Wednesday evening, then won most of it back on Thursday (3 times I committed my chips pre-flop when I was behind but either hit a straight or full house), had a down day Friday, Saturday I had motor racing commitments and then tonight was an upswing. There were two hands where I felt I should have done better… one I forget but the other was when it was the bubble and 2 players went all in ahead of me in the late stages. I had pocket kings and a fairly comfortable stack. I was hoping the short stacks would knock one or the other out so I folded. Turned out, on showdown, I had a 60% chance of taking down the hand, and would have done. Then the shortest stacks kept winning until the blinds ate away at my chips to put me in trouble. Went AI from the SB with Q8 suited and was called by the BB with A2. I didn’t hit. Had I won the two tournies I felt I made mistakes in, I’d be in profit by £9 for the week. Such are the fine margins in poker. With today having been Mothering Sunday, I thought I’d write something about my mum. When I came into the world she was in labour for 72 hours. The medics thought it was likely, given the trauma of my birth, I would have Cerebral Palsy although this wasn’t confirmed until several months later when I failed to develop physically. As is often the case, the doctors painted the worst case scenario. I would never get an education, never get a job and die young. Fortunately, they were wrong on all those counts although in the mid-60s they would have had no idea how computers would open up such a vast range of opportunities. My mother is a very determined person – I often describe her as a force of nature. While many others would have given up hope for their disabled child she carried on regardless, taking absolutely no notice of what she had been told! In my early years she endlessly read Ladybird books and sat with me by the window saying the name of every object that passed by – bus, car, lady, etc. No wonder I like everything on wheels… and ladies too! In the early ‘70s my dad, who was a fair bit older, retired and we moved from next door to his petrol station on a busy road to suburbia. My parents looked forward to many happy years ahead but 15 months later my dad had a heart attack – on Christmas Morning of all days. He survived although mum now had two of us to look after until dad passed away in 1981 when I was 15. This was devastating for my mum… but she never gave up and continued to care for me with minimal support. She spent ages turning the pages in my school and college folders as I revised for exams and supported me in my quest to find employment. Indeed, after she mentioned my situation to our local MP when he was canvassing for an election it started the ball rolling in a direction that led to me getting a job. He found out that the local disability “expert” at the Job Centre had been focussing on all the potential pit-falls when discussing my case with potential employers rather than emphasizing what an asset I could be. Once I was in employment, we had the money to travel the Globe. We visited mum’s brother in Sydney, toured New York and Washington but, best of all, we went through the Canadian Rockies on a train where we upgraded to a glass roofed carriage. In my 30s, I realised I was relying too much on my mum – to be honest I hoped to meet a beautiful woman who would look after me in the same way she had done and it took me a long-time to wake-up to the realities of life. So I got my act together, set up a bachelor pad within our home and became far more independent. The year 2000, when the bachelor pad came into fruition, was huge for me. I learnt to drink through a straw, eat my own meals using a foot operated device, dress and undress (at least in clothes that don’t have buttons or zips), transfer myself from my wheelchair to an armchair/bed/toilet, I even got a wash and blow loo that relieved Mum of a very unpleasant job. Such independence gave her the freedom to go out on her own (although it took some persuading for her to believe I would be ok). Mum’s duties are much less than they once were but even so, having turned 85 last week, she is still extremely active and has to bathe and cook for me on top of all the household chores. She loves walking and regularly covers 2 or 3 miles on foot without batting an eye leaving many people who are much younger in her wake. She is a truly amazing woman.
    Posted by QUICKFEET

Amazing post. I am in awe of you and your mum.

• Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    edited March 2017
    Oh my word. Not many posts on this forum, ever, have been so inspiring or moving. A wonderful Mother's Day tribute to a very special Mum, too.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1 amazing post quickfeet
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited March 2017
    I've only just seen this One of the very best posts I've ever read on the forum.
    Posted by Jac35

+1
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    edited March 2017
    Wow what a great read.
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited March 2017
    Top stuff QF.  Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited March 2017
    Nice read QF - GL in those turbos
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    edited March 2017
    Wonderful post, thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2017
    Outstanding post (....and blog too) 

Well done to you and your Mum, and thank you very much for a truly inspiring read
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,495
    edited March 2017
    I though I had the best Mum in the World but your's is truly amazing.  "Best Thread Award" pending.
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited April 2017

Firstly, thanks very much for the lovely comments following last week’s Mother’s Day blog. They’re testament to the great people who are involved in the forum. I am not sure I can ever top that… maybe I should quit while I am ahead – ha ha!

Last week’s balance £449.87

Things started well when I won 8 out of 10 TDYMs on Monday and there were no bad runs following that so after 50 £11 TDYMs, 4 Timed Tournies and the Mission Las Vegas Freeroll it is £532.22 – a good week!

On Wednesday lunchtime as the TDYMs were quiet I played a Timed Tournie in which I came 5th for £13.50 profit. It seemed pretty easy to cash (I thought!) so I played 3 more but got knocked out of each. They have interesting dynamics with the number of chips rather than finishing position determining the size of your prize. I guess they are closer to a cash game.

Also won £6.25 in the Mission Las Vegas freeroll.

During the week my account reached a new “high watermark” since April 2015 of £549. £9 more than the previous “record” that I hit in early February. I like to hit new highs as it means long term I am not heading in the wrong direction. It gives reassurance and encourages me to stick to my game during downswings. I wouldn’t have reached that level without making at least £5 a week in rake back but I guess it all counts.

Away from poker, I am still breaking new ground with my car. Mum has been under the weather with an eye infection so on Tuesday I went to my first football match on my own. With Chester been such a small club I know many of the staff and stewards there so I wasn’t completely going into the unknown. I also let them know my plans in advance.

Some of my cousins used to step in if my mum couldn’t attend a match but they were all busy on Tuesday so I would have missed the game if I hadn’t learnt to drive. That made me really pleased and delighted to be there even though, despite playing well against a strong Barrow team, Chester lost.

Then on Thursday I drove to Colwyn Bay and sat in my van on the prom in the pouring rain. Doesn’t sound very exciting but it was another milestone for me as it was the furthest I had driven. There was quite a spectacular rainbow over the wind farm out in the bay!

I also went much further down the A55 before my arm that controls the steering tiller began to get numb so I’m getting stronger. My shoulder was aching the next day but I want to put in a long drive at least once a week to build myself up. Soon I’ll be going all over the country!

On Friday I went to the Blue Planet Aquarium in Ellesmere Port with my mate, Steve. It has been open almost 20 years but I had never been before even though it is not too far from where I live. Many people said it is over priced for what’s there (especially compared to nearby Chester Zoo) but, I think because I went with low expectations, I really enjoyed it. Watching the fish was very relaxing and being in the tunnel under the main tank with sharks inches away from my head was cool. Especially being able to see them close up in so much detail.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Last week’s balance £532.22

This week’s games

50 £11 TDYMs

3 Timed Tournies (2 x £11, 1 x £3.30)

Mission Las Vegas Freeroll

Grand National Freeroll

Current Balance = £462.32

Not a good week but within the variance range for the volumes I play.

Struggled to make much head way in the Mission Las Vegas freeroll and exited 99th, 20+ places from a cash after trip 2s were covered by trip 10s when I went All In post flop.

No joy in the Grand National Freeroll either but dubious play by me on that occasion. Called an All In with AK against an opponent with a slightly smaller chip stack. They had pocket 8s and I didn’t hit. Half the field remained although I was miles behind the leader. But maybe it was worth the gamble to move up the leaderboard rather than be a nit for an hour just to min cash.

I do enjoy a freeroll with a big prize however…

I got knocked out of the 3 Timed Tournies but I am going to persevere with a few a week just to see if I can get the hang of them. I am not sure whether I have been unlucky or if I need to be more patient. I am writing notes on each game I play to see if I can spot any trends.

Away from poker it has been a contrasting week football wise.

At Chester FC I contribute a fiver a month to the Squad Builder fund in which fans pay directly into the playing budget. Nice to feel as though you can make a difference however small. The total income from the scheme is enough to fund one extra player per season.

On Tuesday, all contributors were invited to the ground to meet the players at the end of their training session and to have a Q&A with the Manager and CEO. We were there for 2 hours and had some fascinating insights behind the scenes. At one point, the Manager was at the white board explaining team formations – it was like Monday Night Football but without the fancy graphics – just magnetic counters!

Then on Wednesday I went to watch Liverpool at Anfield for the first time since 2010 when Gillett and Hicks brought in Roy Hodgson to play mind-numbing budget football after they got out of their depth financially.

My cousin Ade who used to take me to see Liverpool had a big birthday last month. I asked him if he wanted a rare and expensive bottle of whisky as a present but he said he’d prefer it if we went to Anfield. I asked my mother if she’d like to come too – she regularly comes to Chester but had never been to Liverpool.

When we phoned to book tickets they said all the wheelchair bays were sold out until the end of the season but there were spaces if we took a hospitality package. So, for the price of a weekend away in Europe, we saw the Bournemouth game. This is progress, however, as before the new stand was built last summer the hospitality areas were inaccessible to wheelchair users.

The redeveloped section is very impressive. It was like going to a completely new ground. There is a totally different culture too – staff everywhere with big, friendly smiles offering to help. They were in addition to the usual “sit down & shut up” match stewards!

Outside the ground there were more food outlets than previously and live music. It was so good that there didn’t seem that much of a bonus to being in hospitality where the same fast food was being served as a two piece band sang in the corner. There were higher levels of hospitality available with a proper sit down 3 course meal and I think that’s what I was expecting deep-down even though I knew from the website’s blurb that we were going to be in a “sports bar”.

There were some advantages. We were under cover in the warm, the prettiest staff had been allocated to the hospitality area and we were briefly in the presence of Phil Babb…. Hmmmmm… I was once asked to name my worst Liverpool XI and said Phil Babb eleven times!

It was certainly a World away from Chester FC, and indeed, a huge change from what going to Anfield used to be like.

It was a great experience and I had a brilliant view of the game from a platform what was on the same level as the TV cameras. Usually the wheelchairs are located pitchside where your view is obscured by stewards, photographers, managers and subs warming up.

The score wasn’t so good. After Coutinho went off because he felt unwell, Liverpool lost their offensive momentum and conceded a late equaliser.

It is not something I could afford every week and, to be honest, I think the novelty would soon wane causing it to become “routine”.

…and so it was back to Chester FC on Saturday afternoon. In comparison to what I saw at Anfield the ball was given away far more often but there were 3 fantastic shots – two of which hit the post but the other smashed into the back of the net adding to the goal scored in an incisive break away move early in the game. Unfortunately, these chances were all for York City enabling the side which is struggling to get out of the relegation zone to take an important 3 points from their 2 nil victory. Chester were very poor and created few chances, I can only remember one shot on target.

Perhaps I need to contribute more than a fiver a month to Squad Builder!

Saturday felt like “proper” football rather than a corporate event and, back on Tuesday, it meant alot to be personally greeted so warmly by our Manager, Jon McCarthy, when I arrived for the Q&A session. We have met a few times in the past.

More than anything it was great to be able to enjoy two contrasting sides to the beautiful game in the same week.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited April 2017
    Nice post ^^^

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. It's my opinion that disabled facilities are still an embarrassment in an era where clubs pay literally millions a week on wage bills alone. Football is awash with money and it just seems a token effort to provide disabled seating at many grounds 

At Derby it's very similar to what you have experienced. Other than a small area where a few supporters can use a lift to see the game from a higher viewpoint, all other disabled seating is pitch side where the view is awful.

The best ground for disabled supporters that I've been to is Huddersfield. Due to the ground being in a bit of a bowl the disabled areas for away fans is at the back of the stand.
    Burnley is pretty good as well. Although at the front of the stand, it is still raised.

I went to Birmingham a couple of years ago on Boxing Day. Heavy rain and below freezing. When we arrived we were told that all the undercover seats were already taken and all they could offer was pitchside. After 5 minutes I realised that it wouldn't work. I was with my 70 year old Aunt and we were soaking wet. After a bit of persuasion they allowed us to go in with the home fans but that was no better. My Aunt was shivering and I was a bit concerned. We left after 30 minutes.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Yes, it is a bugbear Jac35

I have the same problem with my mum. We are exposed to all the elements at the front of the stand. Before I passed my driving test and could go on my own, I missed a fair few games because it was just too cold for her... even though I am now more independent, if it's chucking it down with rain the motors on my powered wheelchair stop working and I am immobile. That happened once a few years ago when there was a heavy shower near the end of a game. The chair had to be put out of gear and pushed to the car. It took days for them to dry out!

With the small nature of Chester FC the disabled supporters are able to liaise with the board over improving facilities - the directors are our fellows fans who we know from the stands. In some cases, they are even our relatives!

What we have found is that converting the existing stand to accommodate a raised platform costs the equivalent of building an entirely new structure and so they have decided to work towards that - which of course takes time... alot of time. But in the great scheme of football £250k is peanuts, certainly at the higher levels.

The most frustrating thing is grounds such as Stoke. I went to an away game there with Liverpool about 10 years ago. The wheelchairs were up on a platform and the whole pitch was visible when I first took my position but then all the other fans came in and stood in front of me - away supporters never sit down - and I couldn't see a thing!

At least at Liverpool they had taken that into account and I could see over everyone even when things got exciting and they stood up.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Last week’s balance £462.32

This week’s games

48 £11 TDYMs

3 Timed Tournies (2 x £11, 1 x £3.30)

Current Balance = £319.68

Deary me, 2 weeks ago I was crowing about hitting a new high watermark but this week I have hit a new low since moving up to £11 TDYMs. Post reg I was down to £270 this evening. When I hit the high-point I thought I must be doing something right so now I have reach a new low… I must be doing something wrong!

Certainly, my experimentations with the Timed Tournies hasn’t helped although I finally cashed in one this week for the princely sum of £2.13! But the amount I have lost on those doesn’t account for all of the downswing. I am hoping it’s just variance – I seem to have had a heck of a lot of “variance”, both good and bad, since beginning this blog!

Easter is a big weekend for motorsport. My Sky+ box has been, and probably will be for the rest of the week until I have seen it all, awash with F1, F2, Touring Cars, ELMS, WEC, Superbikes and, from my home circuit of Oulton Park, British GTs.

So far I have watched the F1 and F2 from Bahrain. All good stuff. Am pleased that there is far more overtaking F1 than I feared even with the more advanced aero. Melbourne was abit dull but China and Bahrain have been entertaining… and the second F2 race was a belter.

I look forward to the British GT Championship coming to Oulton as it is one of my favourite categories and headed over for Friday’s test day. With fewer spectators it was easier to move around.

There was a diverse range of beautiful cars that made a fabulous noise. Some say it’s wrong that an equivalence formula is applied that adds weight and reduces power for those who are successful but it prevents any manufacturer spending a fortune to build an extreme racer that causes everyone else to give up and go home – killing the category.

It is quite hilarious to see the Bentley GT towering over all the low-slung supercars – the way Bentleys should – while still travelling at a heck of a rate of knots.

While wandering round the paddock, my path was temporarily blocked by a couple of McLaren 570S’s – being up close they were just draw droppingly beautiful.

But the best thing about GT racing is the noise. Usually, I prefer to watch motor racing at the corners to see the skill of the drivers but for these cars I went to Clay Hill where the engines were under full load on the run up from the Hislops/Knickerbrook complex.

What I loved was listening to the different character of all the noises – the Bentley was like a World War 2 bomber, the Ferrari had a hard, angry metallic edge as though it was screaming “Come on! Go faster…”, the McLarens were surprisingly quiet due to having turbos muffling the passage of spent gasses through the exhausts I suppose, the Aston Martins were merrily fruity but best of all was the ground-shaking Armageddon bass of the Mercedes-AMG. You could feel the shockwaves in your chest.

No better way to spend a Good Friday.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Last week’s balance £462.32 This week’s games 48 £11 TDYMs 3 Timed Tournies (2 x £11, 1 x £3.30) Current Balance = £319.68 Deary me, 2 weeks ago I was crowing about hitting a new high watermark but this week I have hit a new low since moving up to £11 TDYMs. Post reg I was down to £270 this evening. When I hit the high-point I thought I must be doing something right so now I have reach a new low… I must be doing something wrong! Certainly, my experimentations with the Timed Tournies hasn’t helped although I finally cashed in one this week for the princely sum of £2.13! But the amount I have lost on those doesn’t account for all of the downswing. I am hoping it’s just variance – I seem to have had a heck of a lot of “variance”, both good and bad, since beginning this blog! Easter is a big weekend for motorsport. My Sky+ box has been, and probably will be for the rest of the week until I have seen it all, awash with F1, F2, Touring Cars, ELMS, WEC, Superbikes and, from my home circuit of Oulton Park, British GTs. So far I have watched the F1 and F2 from Bahrain. All good stuff. Am pleased that there is far more overtaking F1 than I feared even with the more advanced aero. Melbourne was abit dull but China and Bahrain have been entertaining… and the second F2 race was a belter. I look forward to the British GT Championship coming to Oulton as it is one of my favourite categories and headed over for Friday’s test day. With fewer spectators it was easier to move around. There was a diverse range of beautiful cars that made a fabulous noise. Some say it’s wrong that an equivalence formula is applied that adds weight and reduces power for those who are successful but it prevents any manufacturer spending a fortune to build an extreme racer that causes everyone else to give up and go home – killing the category. It is quite hilarious to see the Bentley GT towering over all the low-slung supercars – the way Bentleys should – while still travelling at a heck of a rate of knots. While wandering round the paddock, my path was temporarily blocked by a couple of McLaren 570S’s – being up close they were just draw droppingly beautiful. But the best thing about GT racing is the noise. Usually, I prefer to watch motor racing at the corners to see the skill of the drivers but for these cars I went to Clay Hill where the engines were under full load on the run up from the Hislops/Knickerbrook complex. What I loved was listening to the different character of all the noises – the Bentley was like a World War 2 bomber, the Ferrari had a hard, angry metallic edge as though it was screaming “Come on! Go faster…”, the McLarens were surprisingly quiet due to having turbos muffling the passage of spent gasses through the exhausts I suppose, the Aston Martins were merrily fruity but best of all was the ground-shaking Armageddon bass of the Mercedes-AMG. You could feel the shockwaves in your chest. No better way to spend a Good Friday.
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    I love these descriptions :)
  • Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog : I love these descriptions :)
    Posted by Jac35
    lol I was about to say the same thing jac.
    great read,  quicky lad,
    The thing with variance quicky is,
    It's like marmite.. up swing, you love it... down swing, you hate it.
    Obv's get your money in good, .. and let marmite , do the rest. GL GL. 

Regards Alan (plo8 (variance tell me about it) champ)
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Last week’s balance £319.68

This week’s games

30 £11 TDYMs

Current Balance = £254.71

The bad run continues. As Jac35 says on his blog, the TDYMs seem to have got tougher – fewer recs with it being summer? Unless things turn around, I’ll have to drop down to £5 TDYMs. I find that tough to do, don’t like giving in and admitting defeat!

I have been too busy to play as much poker this week so I am not even going to get a “free” fiver from rakeback tomorrow. A trio of deadlines meant my big toes have been bashing out a total of 8,000 words.

This has been my biggest project http://brsccff1600.co.uk/files/National%20FF%20170409.pdf which involved speaking to all the Formula Ford 1600 drivers who recently raced at Brands Hatch. Well, when I say speaking… as my mouth doesn’t form the words in a fashion most people can understand, the communication takes place via email and Facebook PMs. Thank heavens for the internet.

Also, went to Anglesey yesterday to watch the motor racing there. My cousin Ade shot some video which illustrates just what a fabulous location it is in. I will post a link when I have edited it together.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Every post you do astounds me all the more
    You're truly inspirational
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I mentioned I was at Anglesey watching the motor racing at the weekend. I have now edited the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorSmz39uMA&t=5s

Two classes of car are featured in the clips. The ones that look like Bugsy Malone on acid are called Legends and the other is the Sports/Saloon Championship which is open to anything loosely based on a road car. It always reminds me of the Whacky Races.

It's hard to describe how beautiful a location the circuit is in. You have to see it.

and.... yes, I do love mucking around matching video to music. That song is a great one for car racing, Sky F1 often use it for their montages
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited April 2017
    I mentioned I was at Anglesey watching the motor racing at the weekend. I have now edited the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorSmz39uMA&t=5s Two classes of car are featured in the clips. The ones that look like Bugsy Malone on acid are called Legends and the other is the Sports/Saloon Championship which is open to anything loosely based on a road car. It always reminds me of the Whacky Races. It's hard to describe how beautiful a location the circuit is in. You have to see it. and.... yes, I do love mucking around matching video to music. That song is a great one for car racing, Sky F1 often use it for their montages
    Posted by QUICKFEET

That racing looks quality - Nice place - used to go near their on holiday to Rhosneigr as a kid

As for the £10 TDYM,s been tougher, Think its just the time of year. There definately a lot qiueter than a few months back. Still don,t think there as tough as when that happy days promo was on with  double and triple points tho. I,d step down for a bit until you get your roll back up - GL ( Either that or reduce amount of tables played )