You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Why

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,036
    goldon said:

TT claim's Father & Son ...... killed bringing total 5 for 2022 can't go on like this.

They're more or less professional riders so they know what they're getting in to,as much as the deaths are unfortunate the riders knew the dangers before participating in the event.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,501
    Yes, the adrenaline rush makes them do it, but no sliding into the gravel trap there.

• Options
    Isle of Man TT: Why bereaved families want the racing to go on

After a near-record five fatalities, the return of the Isle of Man TT following a three-year hiatus reignited the debate over whether the world’s deadliest race meeting should be banned.
    Richard Stockton (driver) and son Bradley (passenger) were killed in a crash at the Isle of Man TT on Friday, Credit: Isle of Man TT Races (rights free) © Provided by The Telegraph Richard Stockton (driver) and son Bradley (passenger) were killed in a crash at the Isle of Man TT on Friday, Credit: Isle of Man TT Races (rights free)

Arguments for and against outlawing motorcycle racing on a 37.73-mile course to have claimed the lives of 265 competitors in a little over a century began raging even before this year’s postponed grand finale took place on Saturday.

You would be forgiven for assuming that the bereaved loved ones of those to have been killed would be among those leading calls for the event to be outlawed.

Yet, despite their grief, nothing could be further from the truth.

After Mark Purslow became the first victim of this year’s event in Supersport TT qualifying a week and a half ago, his family issued a statement in which they said they would try to take solace from the fact he had told them “if he was going to go this would be the way he would want to, and that he would be smiling”.

They added: “He will be telling us all to stop crying, have a laugh and a drink for him, and celebrate his achievements.”

Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Telegraph on Saturday, Purslow’s sister Hana explained why there was never any prospect of his family joining calls for a ban.

“Mark would have wanted people to know that he loved the race,” she said. “He told us that, if he were to die, that would be the way he would want to go, doing something he loved. His passion for the race was undeniable.

“The racing community know the risks, they know what they are doing but they love it. That is why they carry on racing when riders die. They ride for the racing family who have gone before them.

“Of course, this is very hard to understand but Mark would want riders to continue and ride on for him. It’s easy to blame the race, the course or the road for reasons why it should stop; however, Mark would not have wanted that.

“The racing community is such a strong, tight knit group, they honestly ride and die together. I think bereaved families also feel, if races continue, the riders always live on in some way.”
    Mark Purslow was the first victim of this year's event © Provided by The Telegraph Mark Purslow was the first victim of this year's event

Purslow’s death followed that of Daley Mathison in 2019, until this year the last running of the event due to the coronavirus crisis.

Rejecting calls for it to be banned despite a Gofundme page being set up to help provide for his widow and daughter, Mathison’s sister Renae told The Sun at the time: “While I wish more than anything that this had not happened, I don’t think you could take it away.”

Leanne Harper, whose partner, Dan Kneen, was killed during practice a year earlier went even further when she told the Telegraph on the eve of the event’s return: “It’s obviously a bit raw but it’s actually really nice to have the TT back.”

The widow of the 250th rider to be killed at a motorcycle meeting on the Snaefell Mountain Course said in 2017 it would be “disrespectful” to his memory to support any campaign calling for it to be scrapped.

Janet Cowden, whose husband Paul Shoesmith died during the previous year’s Isle of Man TT, told the BBC: “There’s nothing else like it and I’ll never hate something that brought him and our families so much joy.”

Even someone to have seen scores of riders killed since losing a loved one at the event said he would not have called for it to be banned if he had his time again.

Rob Vine died there 37 years ago, since when there have been almost the same number of fatalities at motorcycle meetings there as in the previous 78 years.

That is despite his death leading to the creation of the Rob Vine Fund to help make the event safer by providing more medical kit and helping pay for its rescue ambulances and evacuation helicopters.

His brother Richard told the Telegraph: “I don’t think for a minute that any of those dead, if they could come back and be asked, would say that it should be banned. I certainly would not put my name to anything that implied that it should have been stopped after his death.”

Of course, it is not just loved ones of those killed or even those directly involved in the Isle of Man TT who bear the scars of what can be extremely violent deaths.

Some occur near the homes of island residents who, unlike those at peace with its risks, may have no choice over what happens on their doorstep each year.

The Telegraph has been told there are those afraid to publicly criticise an event estimated to be worth £30 million to the Isle of Man economy.

• Options
    Disclaimer; does not work all the time for " Poker Players "

• Options
    Solicitors ......" Think like a Winner " ask Phil you win I win... you lose I win..
  • Options
    Keep the Curtains closed and the Heat out. The neighbours will think you're at it. P them off.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
  • Options
    Ginger Nuts some mothers do have em.....

Happy Fathers Day .... my Boys will be around later, help me me drink the Cats Pee they bring me.
  • Options
    Happy Non Birthing Persons Day to you too...
  • Options
    Be careful where you sit in the sun..
    May have some explaining to do later..

• Options
    Good or Bad. !

Call us old fashioned as it was pointed out that our house was the only house in the street with net curtains and a wooden front door.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    goldon said:

Good or Bad. !

Call us old fashioned as it was pointed out that our house was the only house in the street with net curtains and a wooden front door.

Net curtains are hopelessly out of fashion. Finally ditched mine about 3 years ago. It is a shame.

Because the best bit about nets was you could see out a lot better than people can see in. There are alternatives that achieve this.

But all the alternatives make you look like a Drug Dealer. Bring back net curtains...
  • Options
    goldon said:

Good or Bad. !

Don't let @HAYSIE know that you've got a wooden front door as before you know it you'll have a new PVC door,new windows all round & a conservatory out back,you'll probably find that you've also signed up to a 10 year lease on a time share in Tenerife... :D
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,115
    lucy4 said:

goldon said:

Good or Bad. !

Don't let @HAYSIE know that you've got a wooden front door as before you know it you'll have a new PVC door,new windows all round & a conservatory out back,you'll probably find that you've also signed up to a 10 year lease on a time share in Tenerife... :D
    I could probably pop around tomorrow.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have Double Glazed PVC windows which replaced old GLC Council Crittall windows.
    Ice used to form on the inside of them in Winter.
    Over ten years now and rubber just starting to perish but no glass blown yet.
    Quote : to get new rubber seals cheaper to buy new windows.
  • Options
    goldon said:

I have Double Glazed PVC windows which replaced old GLC Council Crittall windows.

Don't do it as you're giving @HAYSIE a way in, he'll have you tied in to contracts and schemes that you didn't even knew existed :D
  • Options
    goldon said:

On a serious note you can buy a reel of the rubber seals and do it yourself it's an easy job to do, don't listen to the modern day Haysie's.
  • Options
    Traced my Ancestry and found I'm descendent from Ebenezer Scrooge.

Already asked for new rubber told three types needed each coming in at £846 yep !
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,115
    lucy4 said:

goldon said:

On a serious note you can buy a reel of the rubber seals and do it yourself it's an easy job to do, don't listen to the modern day Haysie's.
    Probably very good advice.