You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

tournament schedule discussion

oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
discuss

Comments

• Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    No.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010
    Bigger tournys between 5pm and 7pm, and all day on weekends, 250/300 gtd running regularly thru the dayyyyyy.

Even bigger plz!!!!! 800gtd £20 buy in at 1pm sat and sun? something like this plzzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am playing on another site at the moment, just entered a tourney for 2 quid---the prize pool is already 450 quid--with 40 minutes to go before the off--it will probably make a thousand quid prize pool--8000 players are online on this other site

the average prize pool of a 2 quid game here is probably around 25 quid---say no more---

when will sky get it together to attract players that are likely to stay, instead of attracting players that look at all the problems here and flop off somewhere that they can play properly??
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited February 2010
    the players will play the games that they want to.

if more players on Sky Poker wanted to play more tournies, then the prizepool would be bigger.

oh and the other sites you mentioned probably use a network system, unlike Sky which is one of the last remaining sites to be just Sky Poker.  And not full of players from NorwayBet.
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: tournament schedule is pathetic:
    n Response to Re: tournament schedule is pathetic : WOW !!! bit harsh mate. Thought nutter had made a couple of valid points myself.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Seems it but thing is I have never read a post from him that is not moaning about something.  If he doesnt like Sky dont play here, theres plenty of sites to choose from.  He seems to post something every day moaning about site.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    9 players are registered to play a tourney now!---brilliant innit?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    all I am saying is that more players would stay here and play if the site was not going mental all the time and was reliable--and I am not always floppin moaning--dingdong

if more attractive tournies were put on, and the site was reliable--it could easily become the best site on the net--just seems that the suits cant be bothered trying to make it more attractive---my other site has a 10p rebuy tournie that gets loads of players, and ends up with a hundred quid prize pool !!---why cant sky do something to attract players?
  • Options
    FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited February 2010
    Oynutter, I take your point and see where you're coming from. 

I agree that some of the tournaments look a bit sad sometimes. It's also a bit limp to enter a satellite during the day, only for it to be cancelled when it doesn't achieve the lofty requirements of 5 players.

I'm assuming your other site is something like FT, and I'm probably no different, in that I also have accounts with other sites, and migrate to them whenever I fancy a change (or want something to work perfectly). 

But those sites are global. The traffic is off the scale; and their budgets are commensurate. I find those sites a great deal more impersonal, but yes, they are slick and boy, do they work reliably.

But I still keep coming back to the incontinent elderly relative that is Sky – even with its little idiosyncratic software quirks - because it's just so quintessentially British. The weather is a bit dodgy; you have to queue – but at least you get to complain to your neighbour about it; everyone is in a hurry and ruddy-faced; the food is stodgy but very reasonably priced; and you sometimes find traffic cones all over your tournament but with no workmen improving any of it... I get all of that.

However, other countries and foreign sites always look more glamorous initially, but it can become sterile and dull when you get too many hot days; oily waiters keep hitting on your girlfriend; and you can't fathom the abuse you're getting in the chatbox from a pre-pubescent Spanish goth. You can also get blasé about luxury when everything is so clean and even the taxis are brand new Mercedes'.

So, just submit to your fate. Stay here and be miserable. It's what we do best.

Given time, you too can come to cherish the sound of the hamster running around the little squeaky wheel every time you enter the flagship 15p Donkey Hunter Tournament.

Stick another shilling in the meter, sling another chair leg on the fire, and huddle around the dull ember of the monitor whilst swathed in a tartan blanket. I'll whack the kettle on and we can all enjoy a tepid cup of translucent tea.

• Options
    LENGALENGLENGALENG Member Posts: 337
    edited February 2010
    but where's my £5 sky promised last night with its video poker promotion????????
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2010
    Oynutter, I take your point and see where you're coming from.  I agree that some of the tournaments look a bit sad sometimes. It's also a bit limp to enter a satellite during the day, only for it to be cancelled when it doesn't achieve the lofty requirements of 5 players. I'm assuming your other site is something like FT, and I'm probably no different, in that I also have accounts with other sites, and migrate to them whenever I fancy a change (or want something to work perfectly).  But those sites are global. The traffic is off the scale; and their budgets are commensurate. I find those sites a great deal more impersonal, but yes, they are slick and boy, do they work reliably. But I still keep coming back to the incontinent elderly relative that is Sky – even with its little idiosyncratic software quirks - because it's just so quintessentially British. The weather is a bit dodgy; you have to queue – but at least you get to complain to your neighbour about it; everyone is in a hurry and ruddy-faced; the food is stodgy but very reasonably priced; and you sometimes find traffic cones all over your tournament but with no workmen improving any of it... I get all of that. However, other countries and foreign sites always look more glamorous initially, but it can become sterile and dull when you get too many hot days; oily waiters keep hitting on your girlfriend; and you can't fathom the abuse you're getting in the chatbox from a pre-pubescent Spanish goth. You can also get blasé about luxury when everything is so clean and even the taxis are brand new Mercedes'. So, just submit to your fate. Stay here and be miserable. It's what we do best. Given time, you too can come to cherish the sound of the hamster running around the little squeaky wheel every time you enter the flagship 15p Donkey Hunter Tournament. Stick another shilling in the meter, sling another chair leg on the fire, and huddle around the dull ember of the monitor whilst swathed in a tartan blanket. I'll whack the kettle on and we can all enjoy a tepid cup of translucent tea.
    Posted by FlutNush

what a guy ,

defo the top poster on this site.

pmsl !

• Options
    edited February 2010
    yea i agree but where's my money???

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    yea i agree but where's my money???
    Posted by LENGALENG
    I believe that the agreement was that it would be paid out by midnight tonight.
    Try posting at this time tomorrow if you still haven't been paid.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    It's horses for courses. Sky is built around community and an introduction to poker for those that haven't played online before / haven't played at all before (thus the education part of the TV channels remit). The other sites are slick and packed because they are built on massive GTD's with international traffic and Pro superstars Advertising them. None of them have the expense of a TV channel to carry so this also helps.

Sky is not meant to be or trying to be a major international player, fighting for clients with FT and Stars. They aim at a different market as to compete with the big boys is a field not many people want to get into. They are trying to be different or they would have just launched an IPOKER skin under their name and collected the rake. Instead they developed their own site to be able to control the tournies, offer the TV coverage and Offer people something different.

Don't get me wrong, i've got many gripes about things i'd like to see changed on Sky for the better but like you i have accounts at these other places and when i want to play the £250k GTD i can log on and do it. I have an account here BECAUSE they are different not in spite of it
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ty merenovice

• Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited February 2010
    Oy Oy M8,

First off Sky is a relatively young (but growing) site. Most site's tournament schedules are reactionary. That is, they are generally dependent of player demand. Sites will promote tournaments to feel out the water, but the resulting schedule is entirely dependent on the players enrolment.

There are tournaments elsewhere that can be entered for $3 with $60,000+ prizepools. These attract the lower skilled players and the chancers, and so any players chance of winning is remote in a field of 5,000+. Smaller fields of 50 to 500 are my preference as the odds of a reasonably proficient player being successful are so much greater. As with any tournament the prizepool is entirely dependent on the number of entrants multiplied by the buy-in.

I personally thing Sky have the balance about right. £11 to win £1.000 with a field of 400 is good business. As the site grows so the tournament schedule will expand and evolve to what is a reflection of the players demand.
    I have accounts at more than 10 sites but I play every night on Sky.
  • Options
    LMLLML Member Posts: 1,708
    edited February 2010
    Oy Oy M8, First off Sky is a relatively young (but growing) site. Most site's tournament schedules are reactionary. That is, they are generally dependent of player demand. Sites will promote tournaments to feel out the water, but the resulting schedule is entirely dependent on the players enrolment. There are tournaments elsewhere that can be entered for $3 with $60,000+ prizepools. These attract the lower skilled players and the chancers, and so any players chance of winning is remote in a field of 5,000+. Smaller fields of 50 to 500 are my preference as the odds of a reasonably proficient player being successful are so much greater. As with any tournament the prizepool is entirely dependent on the number of entrants multiplied by the buy-in. I personally thing Sky have the balance about right. £11 to win £1.000 with a field of 400 is good business. As the site grows so the tournament schedule will expand and evolve to what is a reflection of the players demand. I have accounts at more than 10 sites but I play every night on Sky.
    Posted by elsadog
    Alan!! Come back to the 'Just curious' thread.. and bring a friend.. In fact of you are not Alan reading this now.. please come too... we have an experiment!!
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited February 2010
    Hi guys,

I have had to remove a couple of posts from this thread as they broke the house rules. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions but please bare in mind this is a poker forum and not a boxing ring!

thank you!  :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited February 2010
    Oy Oy M8, First off Sky is a relatively young (but growing) site. Most site's tournament schedules are reactionary. That is, they are generally dependent of player demand. Sites will promote tournaments to feel out the water, but the resulting schedule is entirely dependent on the players enrolment. There are tournaments elsewhere that can be entered for $3 with $60,000+ prizepools. These attract the lower skilled players and the chancers, and so any players chance of winning is remote in a field of 5,000+. Smaller fields of 50 to 500 are my preference as the odds of a reasonably proficient player being successful are so much greater. As with any tournament the prizepool is entirely dependent on the number of entrants multiplied by the buy-in. I personally thing Sky have the balance about right. £11 to win £1.000 with a field of 400 is good business. As the site grows so the tournament schedule will expand and evolve to what is a reflection of the players demand. I have accounts at more than 10 sites but I play every night on Sky.
    Posted by elsadog
    And there's the truth.......

The Site is not perfect - far from it - but it is being built from scratch - NOT on a Network as most Online Rooms are - & these things are not built overnight. 3 years is not long in business terms either, & that's how long the Room has been going. Rapid growth, & "common" software is available by joining a network, but Sky have gone alone, & that takes time.

And although Networks have size, & massive liquidity, many of them cannot be trusted. As some of you know, I own (owned?) 25% of a Networked site, a "skin", which is on the world's biggest Online Poker network. A month or two back, they closed our skin down - because our players were "winning players". The mind boggles, you could not make it up. Then they refused to pay our players their balances, proving that players money was not ring-fenced at all, as most believe. To this day, I'm still trying to secure the monies MY players have on Deposit. Every word of this is true. Can I sue? Ever tried suing a Company based in Belize?

So, personally - though clearly some don't agree - I prefer to stay with Sky Poker, because I can trust it 100%, & it's quite rewarding to grow with the site. And it is growing - they are experiencing record traffic levels week after week. But it just takes time.

As for the comment someone made that "they (Sky Poker & it's staff) just don't care", well, peeps will believe what they want to believe, I won't even try to debate that. I've worked with most major sites over the last 10 years - worked for or with, not just played on - & I've never seen a bunch of guys so dedicated to building their product. The one-to-one care shown here is something special, no other Site offers that.

Some things here need a bit of work - we all know that - but there's quite a bunch of stuff here that NO OTHER Site offers.

It just takes time to build the perfect product, but the work-in-progrsss is doing OK, imo.

PS - The OP said "discuss", so I did!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hi chaps --thanks for feedback---I just get peed off when my favorite tournies here keep getting 3 or 4 floppin entrants and are a total waste of time--I am dead sure that more people would stay here and play them if they knew this site was reliable---It is after all the most important requirement on a poker site!!----players here seem to have nothing keeping them here apart from our great community--but surely its a poker site first and a great community second--not the other way round?

and how the flup did flutnush know I got a tartan blanket round me?--community is one thing, but floppin spying on eachother is right out of floppin order---innit !!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: tournament schedule discussion:
    hi chaps --thanks for feedback---I just get peed off when my favorite tournies here keep getting 3 or 4 floppin entrants and are a total waste of time--I am dead sure that more people would stay here and play them if they knew this site was reliable---It is after all the most important requirement on a poker site!!----players here seem to have nothing keeping them here apart from our great community--but surely its a poker site first and a great community second--not the other way round? and how the flup did flutnush know I got a tartan blanket round me?--community is one thing, but floppin spying on eachother is right out of floppin order---innit !!
    Posted by oynutter
    Thanks Mr Nutty.

Like I say, it just takes time. And thanks to guys like you, who DO care about Sky Poker, we'll all get there - together.