You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

KK, Call or Fold

Comments

• Options
    jamesg1987jamesg1987 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2010

My prediction is there's going to be an AQ, lower pocket pairs and King Queen and he makes the call and loses to the lower pocket pairs who hit their set.

I don't like the thought of playing KK four handed pre flop, but its micro stakes and people openly shove with trash, as we saw in the other thread by blackfish. KK is going to be infront of most hands so therefore I'd be assuming it's good and would make the call.

• Options
    pryce6pryce6 Member Posts: 1,058
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: KK, Call or Fold:
    In Response to Re: KK, Call or Fold : also what your saying is you will never fold a hand if you raise 17x big blind because you dont want to look a mug, but you would rather flip over j10 or somet to look good?
    Posted by webby234
    I'm never raising 17x...
  • Options
    ChirpyChipChirpyChip Member Posts: 556
    edited February 2010
    It's a no Brainer.... call every day of the Century! 
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited February 2010
    In Response to KK, Call or Fold:
    Ok, i've not been at the table for more than 20 mins or so, so i dont have much info on the players involved in the action. I know it's micro stakes, so i'm not risking that much, but i think its a similar situation to a post a few weeks ago, regarding the higher stake tables. I would like opinions on what the correct play should be in this position, as i'm next to act. I'll post the full hand later today. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance daz69 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.32 griffgruff Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.90 Nightshado Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £0.64   Your hole cards K K       joesoap121 Call   £0.04 £0.14 £4.24 Nightshado Check         DADSARMIE Fold         pyte Call   £0.04 £0.18 £3.78 -Typhoon- Raise   £0.68 £0.86 £3.08 daz69 Fold         griffgruff All-in   £3.90 £4.76 £0.00 joesoap121 Fold         Nightshado All-in   £0.62 £5.38 £0.02 pyte All-in   £3.78 £9.16 £0.00
    Posted by -Typhoon-
    I've been on a 6 handed MTT table with 4 AIs. We all had PP and nobody had AA or KK. You have to call. On that table the best hand PF didnt hold up anyway.
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2010
    how the heck is it straight forward, the correct play is a fold, people are saying because its micro stakes its a call, if the stakes were 100/200 would it be a call? no it would not, am sorry but this is a fold and people who are saying call are only saying it because of the stakes of the game!!!!
    Posted by webby234
    its a 100% call everytime imo,the only hand beating you is aa and you will beat that 20% of the time,
    it makes no difference if its cash or tourny either way i want to double up.....
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2010

nooo webby your gonna be right! - people never post these sorta things unless theyve been cold decked/out-drawn - so theres a 50 50 chance ur right.  I see your argument, but if you're good enough to fold pocket kings pre flop, then your playing way below your level at these stakes. Like, WAYYYYYYYY below ur level!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i dont hink a top player is ever folding kk preflop...unless its 1st hand in a massive buy-in tourny?
    why are they playing poker if they are folding kk pre,and what sort of hand are they waiting for to cash big/double up?

ps i called an all in with jj against 1 player last night on the bubble he had a/10 two players had folded an ace and he hit the river:(  the 9th place was £40 and 1st £690 so i am always going for the top three....

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    The correct play in these situations is to raise your left hand in the air, start vigorously pumping the air with your right arm and then quickly hit the call button before all that fist pumping makes you miss your go.

Never fold. Ever.
  • Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2010
    how the heck is it straight forward, the correct play is a fold, people are saying because its micro stakes its a call, if the stakes were 100/200 would it be a call? no it would not, am sorry but this is a fold and people who are saying call are only saying it because of the stakes of the game!!!!
    Posted by webby234

Just read this again and it's even more obvious why it's a call - you've eluded to it yourself but then used that as reasons for folding... 

"People are saying because its micro stakes its a call" - yes as at this level, you're pretty much always ahead in this spot because they don't need massive hands here to be going all in! It's nothing to do with it's only £4 compared to £400 - it's everything to do with knowing the standard and range of your opponent when making the decision! If people were saying call with 8 4 then yeah that's because "of the stakes of the game" so they don't have regard for losing £4 but what people are actually saying here is I believe my KK are ahead of the majority of hands people would move all in at this level with so it's snap call everyday of the week...

"If the stakes were 100/200 would it be a call? no it would not" - that's correct because at those stakes, you would come up against better players so know their range of hands for getting their money in would usually be QQ+ so you're able to make calculated decision with that knowledge but that's not the issue here - we're sitting at 4NL table so basing your decision on what you would do at bigger stakes, is irrelevant!

Whenever the result gets posted, please don't use that as justification for folding if someone did have AA or win hand with some trash - if you're folding premium hands at 4NL (always giving credit to opponent for monsters) then you're rarely going to make any profit! Like on BlackFish3's thread, there's excellent advice here to take advantage of (if you don't want to listen, that's your choice) but they're playing at those bigger stakes for a reason...and it's not because they folded KK in this spot!
  • Options
    Ads2kukAds2kuk Member Posts: 582
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I have too go along with everyone else and say it's crazy to fold here.

So many wide range of hands...

Im gonna say JJs hit trips or something like that...

Definately the correct call though...
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    Call all day! The spot might not be perfect (when are they?) but you have to call, otherwise you might as well pack up and go home.

By the way, the rest of the hand doesn't matter. If one of them has AA, so what? Folding KK here is far too nitty.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    typhoon please post the rest of the hand
    Posted by webby234

So if he loses against 64o he should have folded, but it's the right call if the guy has AA and we hit a K?

Results do not matter, just the reasoning behind the play you make at the stage of the hand the OP has given.

This is a call, try to understand why rather than saying 

'I know nothing, I'd fold'

'You're wrong, it's an easy fold'

'he might have aa'
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2010
    ok my reasoning for the fold is simple, hes playing at micro stakes for a reason, the £4 for all we know could mean an awful to him and why chance it 4 handed aipf? its probably nothing more than a drop in ocean for him but its not a call hes gonna make lightly, i dont play cash or lower stakes so i have no idea how good the players are but i am assuming they are good players and not gonna throw good money away. i wouldnt think you see this very often, 4 players all in pre flop with about 12 quid in the middle? beaneh i think you would call a deaf dog lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ok my reasoning for the fold is simple, hes playing at micro stakes for a reason, the £4 for all we know could mean an awful to him and why chance it 4 handed aipf? its probably nothing more than a drop in ocean for him but its not a call hes gonna make lightly, i dont play cash or lower stakes so i have no idea how good the players are but i am assuming they are good players and not gonna throw good money away. i wouldnt think you see this very often, 4 players all in pre flop with about 12 quid in the middle? beaneh i think you would call a deaf dog lol
    Posted by webby234

Ok forget that it is for money and that £4 is a months living in Thailand.

Think about this. We have the second best hand in history!!! YAY

We MUST be ahead of someone (or at least drawing if its AA, AA and KK ai already).

Tbh Sky took away my fold button years ago but that's not the point.

We have a King and a King, going all in is a must here. The more people in the pot 'the lower our equity is' but we will still be a relatively big favourite and this is cash where we want to get our money in ahead.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    Posted by webby234

Don't get me wrong, it's not a call that we make whilst cackling insanely and waving our middle finger at the screen. It's one of those that we make while sayng "No AA, pleeeeaaaaase no AA!". We still make it though....

Personally I hate getting all my chips in pre-flop, (even with AA). In this situation though, I'm willing to take the risk.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: KK, Call or Fold : Don't get me wrong, it's not a call that we make whilst cackling insanely and waving our middle finger at the screen. It's one of those that we make while sayng "No AA, pleeeeaaaaase no AA!". We still make it though.... Personally I hate getting all my chips in pre-flop, (even with AA). In this situation though, I'm willing to take the risk.
    Posted by KnackersYa

I would be cackling, doing a little dance and already spending the winnings in my head.
  • Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2010
    Posted by webby234

...so don't dismiss the opinion/advice of those who do! In cash, at these levels, it's an instant call regardless of the outcome!
  • Options
    NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
    edited February 2010
    Call expect to see J10, 44, and QQ here.
  • Options
    -Typhoon--Typhoon- Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2010
    The correct play in these situations is to raise your left hand in the air, start vigorously pumping the air with your right arm and then quickly hit the call button before all that fist pumping makes you miss your go. Never fold. Ever.
    Posted by beaneh
    PMSL.... spot on beaneh.

WOW, thanks for the response guys, it certainly opened the gates of debate. As stated, I had only been seated for 20 mins, so no previous info to go on..

As I was on the button, I could see most of action prior to me having to make any decision, Nightshado was indeed short stacked and only called the BB, so I didn’t put him on anything. Next played folded, followed by ptye’s BB call. Again, no alarm bells.

At this point I don’t want anyone else in the pot, so I have to raise big enough to thin the field, with the hope of getting at least 1 caller.  I initially meant to raise to 50p, but had problem with the slider.

Following this, Daz folds, but to my horror, griff goes all in, which has me well covered, should I call. A fold from joe. At which point I’m still don’t know what I’m going to do, then Nightshado calls. My thoughts at this time are Nighshado’s actions are irrelevant and play no part in the decision process. But pyte also calls in. Now my priority changes. Although I’m thinking griff is the only one I should be worrying about, I feel at a the very min, he’s paired or on A with a big kicker.

However, because of the size of the pot I felt I had no choice but to call, simply for the value. I knew at worst I could be in second place, with the potential to improve.

There’s a lot of debate about the stakes, but had I been calling with £30 rather than £3.08, I would still have to make the call, purely because of the value. 

I know its a bit late now, sorry for posting the names.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    daz69 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.32
    griffgruff Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.90
    Nightshado Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £0.64
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

joesoap121 Call   £0.04 £0.14 £4.24
    Nightshado Check        
    DADSARMIE Fold        
    pyte Call   £0.04 £0.18 £3.78
    -Typhoon- Raise   £0.68 £0.86 £3.08
    daz69 Fold        
    griffgruff All-in   £3.90 £4.76 £0.00
    joesoap121 Fold        
    Nightshado All-in   £0.62 £5.38 £0.02
    pyte All-in   £3.78 £9.16 £0.00
    -Typhoon- All-in   £3.08 £12.24 £0.00
    griffgruff Unmatched bet   £0.12 £12.12 £0.12
    griffgruff Show

Nightshado Show
    • A

pyte Show

-Typhoon- Show
    • K
    • K

Flop

• A

Turn

• J

River

• Q

Nightshado Win Pair of Aces £2.59   £2.61
    pyte Win Pair of 3s £0.11   £0.11
    -Typhoon- Win Pair of Kings £8.84   £8.84
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are two ways to look at this hand now that the results have been posted (as I always say posting results is a bad idea and influences peoples decisions.

In this case the equities are as follows

85o 10.7%
    A5o 23%
    23s 14%
    KK 52%

So yes we lost in this case because some combination of the board running out made our hand not the best but on average we win 52% of everything in the pot in this scenario, just remember that there are tons of flops and turn combinations. You made the right decision you just have to be happy with it.

• Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2010
    in conclusion, players at those stakes are crazy