You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Another one bites the dust.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,510
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,101
    Mike Yarwood spent his last years at Brinsworth House, a Retirement Home run by the Royal Variety Company. Not your typical Retirement Home-it has a Stage and a Bar.

The only known resident currently is Richard O'Sullivan, who has been there many years.

Previous residents have included:-

Hylda Baker, Teddy Johnson & Pearl Carr, Charlie Drake, Alan Freeman, Dame Thora Hird, and Mick McManus.

Quite a cast list...
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,196

@Essexphil

Wow, Teddy Johnson & Pearl Carr, there's a memory jerker.

Going back to Mike Yarwood, it was quite sad to read that prior to the Nursing Home he lived alone in Weybridge for many years & suffered badly from depression. He was a huge star back in the day.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,101
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Wow, Teddy Johnson & Pearl Carr, there's a memory jerker.

Going back to Mike Yarwood, it was quite sad to read that prior to the Nursing Home he lived alone in Weybridge for many years & suffered badly from depression. He was a huge star back in the day.

I was just listening to Gyles Brandreth on Radio 2, who was a long-time friend.

Apparently, he suffered from both depression and a major drink problem at the height of his fame, and only conquered the latter. He never actually liked doing impressions.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532

Jean Boht: Actress dies at 91

She is brown bread.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    It's a grey day, Nellie Boswell.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,262
    But what about me pudding.
  • Options
    Joe Fagin, singer and songwriter who sang the theme to Auf Wiedersehen, Pet – obituary

• Options
    Roger Whittaker: Durham Town folk singer dies at 87

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

Roger Whittaker: Durham Town folk singer dies at 87

I've actually got an album of his from when I was a nipper, given to me by my grandfather.

It's called "The Mexican Whistler". Never played it, don't even know what's on it.
  • Options
    David McCallum dead at 90: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and NCIS actor passes away from natural causes surrounded by family in New York

• Options
    Harry Potter star Michael Gambon remembered as 'mesmerising' actor as he dies at 82

• Options
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    Legend , he gave bite yer legs a run for his money
    https://youtu.be/QALdVum0xEk
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It was an awesome sight to see him take a penalty.

No subtlety, or any of those stuttery run-ups & sidefoots into the net, he just belted the ball as hard as he could & dead straight, straight at the 'keeper. If the 'keeper got in the way, ball & 'keeper ended up in the back of the net.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
  • Options
    I can remember as a kid waiting around outside the Stokes Victoria Ground after a match, for autographs when Francis Lee appeared.

Contrary to his abrasive image he was great, signing for the kids, saying a few words and so on. Upon finishing he turned away and slipped. "Penalty" shouted several of the attendant fathers in unison, as a testimony to Lees habit of taking a tumble in the box.

Honestly he was laughing his head off as he walked away to the team bus.

Back in those days you could get up close to the star players. Great days.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Sir Alex Ferguson’s wife Cathy was a giant part in one of British football’s giant lives

• Options
    Burt Young dead: Rocky star passes away at age 83 in Los Angeles

• Options
    Star of stage and screen Haydn Gwynne dies aged 66