You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Another one bites the dust.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,205
    A "Marmite Character" and a very dangerous individual. I always thought he was the ultimate manipulator, catering only for what was in the best interests of himself and his cronies.

It will be interesting to see what emerges in the coming months and years.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,295
    Pogues frontman and songwriter Shane MacGowan dies aged 65

• Options
    edited November 2023

Victoria Mary wrote on Instagram: "I don't know how to say this so I am just going to say it.

"Shane who will always be the light that I hold before me and the measure of my dreams and the love of my life and the most beautiful soul and beautiful angel and the sun and the moon and the start and end of everything that I hold dear has gone to be with Jesus and Mary and his beautiful mother Therese.

"I am blessed beyond words to have met him and to have loved him and to have been so endlessly and unconditionally loved by him and to have had so many years of life and love and joy and fun and laughter and so many adventures.

"There's no way to describe the loss that I am feeling and the longing for just one more of his smiles that lit up my world.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you for your presence in this world you made it so very bright and you gave so much joy to so many people with your heart and soul and your music.

"You will live in my heart forever. Rave on in the garden all wet with rain that you loved so much. You meant the world to me."
  • Options
    Former chancellor Alistair Darling dies aged 70

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,530
    edited November 2023
    Brookside Actor Dean Sullivan dies at 68.

#RIPJIMMY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67575906

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,381
    I used to love Brookside.
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,055
    Shane MacGowan: Norwich pub pays tribute to Pogues star.

A pub has paid tribute to late Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan with a window display based on his most famous song.

Darren Smith, 53, painted the lyrics of Fairytale of New York on the windows of his local, The Unthank Arms in Norwich.

The signwriter and chalkboard artist completed the showpiece on 20 November, 10 days before the star died at home in Dublin, aged 65.

"His was a great life, well-lived. It's sad it's come to an early end, but I feel happy to have marked it," he said.

Mr Smith, a regular at the pub for years, even held his wedding reception there in 2005, with cockney duo Chas & Dave playing live.

Although his work takes him across Britain, he always returns to his local to design its Christmas display.

Mr Smith has painted the Newmarket Street pub's windows every Christmas since 1999, and for the last 15 years has based his displays on lyrics to a festive song.

This year's was set to be Elton John's Step Into Christmas - until a last-minute switch.

"I knew Shane was in hospital, but then I saw a tweet from his wife, saying he was coming out of hospital for Christmas," he said.

"After that, there was only one choice."

Fairytale of New York, on which MacGowan duetted with Kirsty MacColl, has been a Christmas favourite since its release in 1987.

It never reached number one in the UK but is odds-on favourite this Christmas following the singer's death.

It took Mr Smith six hours to paint lyrics from its chorus across four windows at the pub.

"I always try to choose the lyrics that get people singing, and as I was painting, people were walking past, singing and whistling the song," he said.

Nick De'Ath, the landlord of The Unthank Arms, described the death of MacGowan as "such sad news".

He said: "The lyrics of Fairytale of New York have featured more than once on the windows of The Unthank because it's an iconic song and is always the highlight of the carol night we hold every December.

"After all the singing about snow and jingle bells, everyone's ready to belt out the slightly more 'gritty' lyrics and it's usually the cue for the more adventurous to climb up on the bar!"

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,051
    Saw the Pogues at an open air festival about 30 years ago.

It was 3 pm. He had a bottle of whiskey in each hand. And couldn't remember the words to Fairytale of New York. Whereupon Kirsty MacColl clambered up from the audience to help him.

5 hours later he was singing with the Dubliners. They were holding him up. And singing that bit louder to cover for him.

So much talent. The first musicians of Irish stock accepted as genuine Irish musicians despite not being born there/living there.

But for the drink/drugs, he could have been one of the true greats.

For me, this was their best song-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tqdLPnGjoA
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,381
    Yea, great song.
    I saw them in Brighton, I'm pretty sure Kirsty did a cameo there too, though my memory is fading.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,205
    Whilst I was never that much of a Pogues fan, I thought Shane was great.

What I liked about him was his integrity. He never pretended to be anything other than what he was and he was unapologetic and genuine.
  • Options
    Still Open All Hours actress Brigit Forsyth dies aged 83

Actress Brigit Forsyth, who starred in Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?, has died at the age of 83, her agent has confirmed.
  • Options
    Glenys Kinnock: Former minister and wife of Neil Kinnock dies aged 79

• Options
    Benjamin Zephaniah: Writer, poet and Peaky Blinders actor dies aged 65

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,170

Ryan O'Neal: Oscar-nominated star of Love Story and Bones, has died, his son says

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ryan-oneal-oscar-nominated-star-221100039.html

I'm sure most of us 'Oldies' have seen the film LOVE STORY

RIP Ryan .....thanks for the memories :'(o:)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine star Andre Braugher dies age 61

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Beloved Beach Boys member dies from cancer

Brian Wilson
    December 11 at 5:54 PM ·
    I’m so heartbroken that my dear friend Jeff Foskett has passed. Jeff was always there for me when we toured and we couldn’t have done it without him. Jeff was one of the most talented guys I ever knew. He was a great musical leader and guitarist and he could sing like an angel. I first met Jeff in 1976 when he knocked on my door in Bel Air and I invited him in, and we were friends ever since. I don’t know what else to say. Love and Mercy to Jeff’s family and friends, we will remember him forever.